The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should you train through a cold/illness?!

+3
Geordie
kingraf
sikhlion
7 posters

Go down

Should you train through a cold/illness?! Empty Should you train through a cold/illness?!

Post by sikhlion Sun 06 Oct 2013, 7:38 pm

Whenever I have a slight cold if I do a run and some weights my symptoms seem to ease a bit but is it doing more harm then good by training when ill? Should you rest up because you can't train as intensely when ill? How long can you afford to stay off the gym before your body starts to lose it's previously made gains?

sikhlion

Back to top Go down

Should you train through a cold/illness?! Empty Re: Should you train through a cold/illness?!

Post by kingraf Sun 06 Oct 2013, 8:20 pm

Follow the "neck-up" rule - If the pain is from the neck up, you can probably continue training, albeit at a reduced level. Any lower, and you should take time off.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Should you train through a cold/illness?! Empty Re: Should you train through a cold/illness?!

Post by Geordie Tue 08 Oct 2013, 2:08 pm

Im afraid im guilty of the old school "sweat it out" brigade.

No matter how i feel ill hit the bag or do some stair work etc...just build up the biggest sweat then wrap up warm and go home for a nice cuppa...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Tue 08 Oct 2013, 5:38 pm

If you want to get through the illness ASAP I'd rest until you've recovered, and then starting hitting it especially hard.
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 09 Oct 2013, 3:24 pm

Train through it as long as it's not flu...........

I train my body over 6 days with one rest day................All the big bodyparts seperate.......

Taking days off can mean not hitting back for 9 days etc meaning your next session is catchup........

Just have a session but don't hit it as hard...........Go lighter but work the muscle........and you won't feel guilty for missing a session and the muscle will have maintenance..

Bodybuilding is mental as much as physical.......You'll only feel depressed If you miss a session..Go easy and get some done.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Thu 10 Oct 2013, 10:57 am

All depends on how bad the cold is and how bad you feel.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 12 Oct 2013, 1:15 am

Catching a cold can be an indication you are overtraining and need a break.

If I work too hard for too long I end up catching a cold as soon as I take a break from training.

The majority of people don't attack training so I can't speak for them. Me I've had to ease off as I have gotten older not because I can't put in a hard workout but because I don't recover as well. Now I have all sorts of other stresses outside training that contribute to using up my energy. As a kid all I did was eat and train. I lived by the adage 'don't run when you can walk, don't walk when you can sit in a car, don't sit if you can lie down etc'. No chance of that happening now.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down