The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 more years!!!!

+22
Biltong
Artful_Dodger
DeludedOptimistorjustDave
profitius
ME-109
VinceWLB
geoff999rugby
rodders
Notch
doctor_grey
Sin é
LeinsterFan4life
alive555
dragon999
GunsGerms
marty2086
clivemcl
Jenifer McLadyboy
SecretFly
MrsP
Don Alfonso
Standulstermen
26 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty 3 more years!!!!

Post by Standulstermen Tue 08 Oct 2013, 4:44 pm

Away back into yer hole Toulon!

St. Ruan Hug Yahoo 

Standulstermen

Posts : 5451
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 39

Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by Don Alfonso Tue 08 Oct 2013, 4:49 pm

That'll learn 'em.

Don Alfonso

Posts : 2695
Join date : 2011-05-09
Age : 46
Location : The 'Shaft

Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by Don Alfonso Tue 08 Oct 2013, 4:52 pm

Three years is mental, though. Until the summer of 2017?

He'll be 32!

I suppose he could always head on to Leinster then.

Don Alfonso

Posts : 2695
Join date : 2011-05-09
Age : 46
Location : The 'Shaft

Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by MrsP Tue 08 Oct 2013, 4:52 pm

Yahoo 

Great endorsement!

MrsP

Posts : 9207
Join date : 2011-09-12

Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by Don Alfonso Tue 08 Oct 2013, 4:52 pm

oh, and the link -

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/latest/2013/10/ruan-pienaar-signs-for-3-more-years/

Don Alfonso

Posts : 2695
Join date : 2011-05-09
Age : 46
Location : The 'Shaft

Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by SecretFly Tue 08 Oct 2013, 4:53 pm

OH? Pardom moi, Miseur Pienaar! Did we not make eet clear??.... what we offer.... we mean to add two more zeros to eet. Now you come to uz?

Steady Stand...steady!

SecretFly

Posts : 31800
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 08 Oct 2013, 4:53 pm

Wooohoooo

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/24447558

Jenifer McLadyboy

Posts : 4764
Join date : 2011-06-30

Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by clivemcl Tue 08 Oct 2013, 4:54 pm

I just let out the most almighty roar when I saw this!

clivemcl

Posts : 4480
Join date : 2011-05-09

Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by SecretFly Tue 08 Oct 2013, 4:54 pm

Don Alfonso wrote:Three years is mental, though. Until the summer of 2017?

He'll be 32!

I suppose he could always head on to Leinster then.
If'n he wants to finally win a European title, it'd be a wise move... even at 32 Wink

SecretFly

Posts : 31800
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 08 Oct 2013, 4:55 pm

Don Alfonso wrote:Three years is mental, though. Until the summer of 2017?

He'll be 32!

I suppose he could always head on to Leinster then.
Laugh 

Jenifer McLadyboy

Posts : 4764
Join date : 2011-06-30

Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by Don Alfonso Tue 08 Oct 2013, 4:56 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Don Alfonso wrote:Three years is mental, though. Until the summer of 2017?

He'll be 32!

I suppose he could always head on to Leinster then.
If'n he wants to finally win a European title, it'd be a wise move... even at 32 Wink
The techincal term is "doing a Boss".

Don Alfonso

Posts : 2695
Join date : 2011-05-09
Age : 46
Location : The 'Shaft

Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by marty2086 Tue 08 Oct 2013, 4:57 pm

Ruan lands back in Belfast yesterday and David Humphreys gets him to turn down big bucks and sign for 3 years in the space of 2 days?

Thats deserves the freedom of the city!

marty2086

Posts : 11208
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 36
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by MrsP Tue 08 Oct 2013, 5:00 pm

Nah!

All that was sorted weeks ago I reckon. Just needed him back to announce it!


MrsP

Posts : 9207
Join date : 2011-09-12

Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by marty2086 Tue 08 Oct 2013, 5:01 pm

MrsP wrote:Nah!

All that was sorted weeks ago I reckon. Just needed him back to announce it!

Then string him up for making us sweat:furious: 

marty2086

Posts : 11208
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 36
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by SecretFly Tue 08 Oct 2013, 5:03 pm

A 'Denis O'Brien' donor appeared on a white steed?

SecretFly

Posts : 31800
Join date : 2011-12-12

Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by MrsP Tue 08 Oct 2013, 5:03 pm

laughing 

Talk about hero to zero!


MrsP

Posts : 9207
Join date : 2011-09-12

Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by GunsGerms Tue 08 Oct 2013, 5:19 pm

marty2086 wrote:Ruan lands back in Belfast yesterday and David Humphreys gets him to turn down big bucks and sign for 3 years in the space of 2 days?

Thats deserves the freedom of the city!
Humphreys is clearly a smart operator. I reckon he will end up with a high level IRFU role at some point.

GunsGerms

Posts : 12542
Join date : 2011-05-31
Age : 42
Location : Ireland

Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by dragon999 Tue 08 Oct 2013, 5:22 pm

Fantastic news for Ulster - Class player!

dragon999

Posts : 253
Join date : 2011-05-10

Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by alive555 Tue 08 Oct 2013, 5:23 pm

good news for ulster and the rabo. the more players who commit the stronger the league . now all we need to top it off is the anglos to not get what they want laughing 

alive555

Posts : 1213
Join date : 2011-10-01
Location : Bangkok

Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by Guest Tue 08 Oct 2013, 5:27 pm

Congrats Ulster fans. Great for you, great for our league, and sort of great for our players to continue playing against top operators like that (sort of, when they're not embarrassing us by whooping our asses...!).

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue 08 Oct 2013, 5:57 pm

Fantastic news! Ulster are just not the same team without him.

LeinsterFan4life

Posts : 5659
Join date : 2012-03-13
Age : 32
Location : Meath

Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by Sin é Tue 08 Oct 2013, 6:10 pm

Fairplay to him for not running after the big Toulon bucks. Congrats Ulster, you need him.
Sin é
Sin é

Posts : 13725
Join date : 2011-04-01
Location : Dublin

Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by Guest Tue 08 Oct 2013, 6:13 pm

Absolutely delighted. Great news for Ulster.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by doctor_grey Tue 08 Oct 2013, 6:30 pm

Don't give too much credit to Humphreys or the Ulster club for retaining Pienaar.
In truth, the only reason he wanted to come back to Belfast is for the weather.
Weather in Toulon is terrible by comparison.

doctor_grey

Posts : 10405
Join date : 2011-04-30

Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by Notch Tue 08 Oct 2013, 6:34 pm

I think it ultimately came down to his family. He is at heart a family man, his wife and daughter are very happy and settled in Belfast and he's enjoyed the rugby- so why mess with a winning formula?

There's more to life than just money- not that the Pienaars are exactly destitute with what he's already getting at Ulster! Smile 
Notch
Notch
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25635
Join date : 2011-02-10
Age : 34
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by doctor_grey Tue 08 Oct 2013, 7:06 pm

Notch wrote:I think it ultimately came down to his family. He is at heart a family man, his wife and daughter are very happy and settled in Belfast and he's enjoyed the rugby- so why mess with a winning formula?

There's more to life than just money- not that the Pienaars are exactly destitute with what he's already getting at Ulster! Smile 
From my admittedly outside perspective, other players have seemed to be happy settling in Belfast area as well.  Ulster Rugby must be offering a nice tight-knit family community as well.  

Great message, yes?

doctor_grey

Posts : 10405
Join date : 2011-04-30

Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by rodders Tue 08 Oct 2013, 7:25 pm

Yahoo Those crepes at ravers were just too hard to leave behind!
rodders
rodders
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 25501
Join date : 2011-05-20
Age : 41

Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by clivemcl Tue 08 Oct 2013, 7:38 pm

Anyone else noticing the subtle digs disguised as congratulations from our Irish neighbours on this thread?

Also, My son will be 4 by the time Pienaar leaves, so it will be nice for him to see the guy with the same name in action at Ulster.

clivemcl

Posts : 4480
Join date : 2011-05-09

Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by geoff999rugby Tue 08 Oct 2013, 8:08 pm

I was hopeful but great to hear.

It comes to being happy here, being a man of integrity and Ulster showing a total commitment to him.
Payne has said the same.

The guys has decency written through him like a stick of rock

geoff999rugby

Posts : 5140
Join date : 2012-01-19

Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by VinceWLB Tue 08 Oct 2013, 8:18 pm

Thought it was 3 more years of heineken cup rugby. Can't help but feel disappointed by this!

VinceWLB

Posts : 3841
Join date : 2012-10-14

Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by ME-109 Tue 08 Oct 2013, 8:21 pm

clivemcl wrote:Anyone else noticing the subtle digs disguised as congratulations from our Irish neighbours on this thread?

Also, My son will be 4 by the time Pienaar leaves, so it will be nice for him to see the guy with the same name in action at Ulster.
;


Nothing subtle about it. Ulster minus Ruan = not quite there yet, he definitely makes a big difference

ME-109

Posts : 5258
Join date : 2011-09-01

Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by geoff999rugby Tue 08 Oct 2013, 8:24 pm

VinceWLB wrote:Thought it was 3 more years of heineken cup rugby. Can't help but feel disappointed by this!
This is worth more than 3 years of HC rugby to watch a master in action Yahoo 


Last edited by geoff999rugby on Tue 08 Oct 2013, 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

geoff999rugby

Posts : 5140
Join date : 2012-01-19

Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by geoff999rugby Tue 08 Oct 2013, 8:26 pm

Hearing rumours a big offer from Toulon was on the table - 50% pay increase but Pienaer said no thanks I am happy where I am

Makes it even sweeter in a way. Hug 

To people of integrity money isn't everything - maybe some others in our game need to realize that

geoff999rugby

Posts : 5140
Join date : 2012-01-19

Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by Guest Tue 08 Oct 2013, 8:30 pm

ME-109 wrote:
clivemcl wrote:Anyone else noticing the subtle digs disguised as congratulations from our Irish neighbours on this thread?

Also, My son will be 4 by the time Pienaar leaves, so it will be nice for him to see the guy with the same name in action at Ulster.
;


Nothing subtle about it. Ulster minus Ruan = not quite there yet, he definitely makes a big difference
He does, no doubt, and along with an obvious affection the Ulster fans have for Pienaar, this is why we're so delighted. Great timing for the announcement as well leading into the Tigers game.
If he does come off the bench I think there will be some roar Yahoo 

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by Don Alfonso Tue 08 Oct 2013, 8:36 pm

I think it's great that a win over a dreadfully mis-firing Leinster has the Munster boys poking their heads back out, back to their belligerent best.

Don Alfonso

Posts : 2695
Join date : 2011-05-09
Age : 46
Location : The 'Shaft

Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by profitius Tue 08 Oct 2013, 8:51 pm

Very good signing for Ulster. One area of concern is that he hadn't a proper break from rugby for years. During the summer he is off playing for the Boks so its non stop.
profitius
profitius

Posts : 4688
Join date : 2012-01-25

Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by DeludedOptimistorjustDave Tue 08 Oct 2013, 8:56 pm

Well done Ulster,they are a far better team with him playing.

DeludedOptimistorjustDave

Posts : 655
Join date : 2013-07-03

Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by geoff999rugby Tue 08 Oct 2013, 8:56 pm

Played 10 mins in the last 3 1/2 weeks

geoff999rugby

Posts : 5140
Join date : 2012-01-19

Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by MrsP Tue 08 Oct 2013, 10:12 pm

doctor_grey wrote:Don't give too much credit to Humphreys or the Ulster club for retaining Pienaar.  
In truth, the only reason he wanted to come back to Belfast is for the weather.  
Weather in Toulon is terrible by comparison.
Ah sure who needs warm weather when you have a warm welcome!

It is possible that a lot of other clubs are the same but the Ravenhill crowd and the Ulster public have a huge and genuine fondness for virtually all our imported players. They haven't all had the same skill or profile that Ruan possesses but they are all held in great affection and get a fantastic welcome if they return to Ravenhill.

I would think it's not just about the rugby community either. Many of our players talk openly and frankly about how important their faith is to them and I would think that their church communities are part of what keeps them here too.

MrsP

Posts : 9207
Join date : 2011-09-12

Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by MrsP Tue 08 Oct 2013, 10:19 pm

geoff999rugby wrote:Played 10 mins in the last 3 1/2 weeks
Indeed. He hasn't played much but he also hasn't had much of a break at all which is not ideal. He ended the season looking like a man who had played too much rugby. I would be confident that this will be managed better this year. If memory serves, last season he would have been likely to get a bit of a break but then Small Parcel injured his arm?

With Heaney and SmallP playing well he should get a bit more rest this season.

MrsP

Posts : 9207
Join date : 2011-09-12

Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by Artful_Dodger Tue 08 Oct 2013, 10:26 pm

Just home from Uni, and this is amazing news, made my day!

Artful_Dodger

Posts : 4260
Join date : 2011-05-31

Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by Biltong Tue 08 Oct 2013, 10:27 pm

I never thought the Irish could love a Saffer this much. Whistle 
Biltong
Biltong
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 26945
Join date : 2011-04-27
Location : Twilight zone

Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by MrsP Tue 08 Oct 2013, 10:36 pm

He's not the first Bilt!

We'd have kept Pedrie too if we could have.

MrsP

Posts : 9207
Join date : 2011-09-12

Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by Standulstermen Tue 08 Oct 2013, 10:41 pm

Then there is johann

Standulstermen

Posts : 5451
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 39

Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by Artful_Dodger Tue 08 Oct 2013, 10:47 pm

....and Robbie who just signed another long term contract Smile

As well as being Saffers they are all Ulster men through and through.

Artful_Dodger

Posts : 4260
Join date : 2011-05-31

Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by doctor_grey Tue 08 Oct 2013, 10:47 pm

MrsP wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:Don't give too much credit to Humphreys or the Ulster club for retaining Pienaar.  
In truth, the only reason he wanted to come back to Belfast is for the weather.  
Weather in Toulon is terrible by comparison.
Ah sure who needs warm weather when you have a warm welcome!

It is possible that a lot of other clubs are the same but the Ravenhill crowd and the Ulster public have a huge and genuine fondness for virtually all our imported players. They haven't all had the same skill or profile that Ruan possesses but they are all held in great affection and get a fantastic welcome if they return to Ravenhill.

I would think it's not just about the rugby community either. Many of our players talk openly and frankly about how important their faith is to them and I would think that their church communities are part of what keeps them here too.
I probably should know better, but aren't most South Africans of Dutch descent usually from the Dutch Reformend Church?  Is there a presence in Belfast?  Or do they gravitate to the traditional churches?  Do you know which ones?  Just asking because I really don't know, I suppose, what I should.

doctor_grey

Posts : 10405
Join date : 2011-04-30

Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by MrsP Tue 08 Oct 2013, 10:49 pm

I think the lads have got involved in local churches. Possibly several at the one church actually. I think the families are close.

MrsP

Posts : 9207
Join date : 2011-09-12

Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by Artful_Dodger Tue 08 Oct 2013, 10:51 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
MrsP wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:Don't give too much credit to Humphreys or the Ulster club for retaining Pienaar.  
In truth, the only reason he wanted to come back to Belfast is for the weather.  
Weather in Toulon is terrible by comparison.
Ah sure who needs warm weather when you have a warm welcome!

It is possible that a lot of other clubs are the same but the Ravenhill crowd and the Ulster public have a huge and genuine fondness for virtually all our imported players. They haven't all had the same skill or profile that Ruan possesses but they are all held in great affection and get a fantastic welcome if they return to Ravenhill.

I would think it's not just about the rugby community either. Many of our players talk openly and frankly about how important their faith is to them and I would think that their church communities are part of what keeps them here too.
I probably should know better, but aren't most South Africans of Dutch descent usually from the Dutch Reformend Church?  Is there a presence in Belfast?  Or do they gravitate to the traditional churches?  Do you know which ones?  Just asking because I really don't know, I suppose, what I should.
South Africa is religiously VERY diverse.  I didn't actually know that before your post and I looked it up.  The Dutch Reformed Church is actually smaller than the Catholic church is South Africa...and the Methodist Church.  However regardless of exactly what religion these guys are,  Johann Muller has for example given sermons at churches in Northern Ireland and has spoken about a connection between his faith and being in Ulster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_South_Africa


Last edited by Artful_Dodger on Tue 08 Oct 2013, 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Artful_Dodger

Posts : 4260
Join date : 2011-05-31

Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by doctor_grey Tue 08 Oct 2013, 10:52 pm

Ah, makes sense. The cultural dislocation, if you will, is not so bad if the families remain close. Interesting topic I never really knew anything about.

doctor_grey

Posts : 10405
Join date : 2011-04-30

Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by doctor_grey Tue 08 Oct 2013, 10:55 pm

Artful_Dodger,
Thanks mate. Didn't know that either.
Appreciated.

doctor_grey

Posts : 10405
Join date : 2011-04-30

Back to top Go down

3 more years!!!! Empty Re: 3 more years!!!!

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum