The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marquez: is he a sore loser?

+13
Hammersmith harrier
hampo17
jimdig
Seanusarrilius
Valero's Conscience
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
AlexHuckerby
hogey
ShahenshahG
ErmanH
milkyboy
Boxtthis
wheelchair1991
17 posters

Go down

Marquez: is he a sore loser? Empty Marquez: is he a sore loser?

Post by wheelchair1991 Mon 14 Oct - 14:51

Marquez is getting a lot of heat from people in USA for his behaviour in the post fight press conference with Tim Bradley after his split decision loss on Saturday night. I think Marquez is a sore loser and has given no credit to Bradley at all. what are your views on this?

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/181341-lems-latest-bradley-diaz-dissed-by-bitterly-defeated-marquez-beristain

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Marquez: is he a sore loser? Empty Re: Marquez: is he a sore loser?

Post by Boxtthis Mon 14 Oct - 15:14

He certainly seems to be a sore loser. Very classless comments at the press conference. Even if he thinks he won, he could acknowledge that Bradley was good enough to fight on a level with him. That said, he didn't win. I've watched the fight twice now and can only see a Bradley victory.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 14 Oct - 15:17

I guess after the manny fights, jmm has a reason to feel sore about judging. Ultimately though, he is a sore loser. He bleated after the John defeat too, which was fair in my book.

Many top sportsmen are sore losers, it's that desperate will to win that makes them who they are. Boxers in particular, where confidence is so important to performance and where 1 defeat can finish a career.

I think the considered approach is to congratulate your opponent and then say you still thought you won... So Marquez does look churlish for skipping the congratulatory bit!

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ErmanH Mon 14 Oct - 15:29

Was disappointed to hear his comments at the press conference especially as moments earlier Bradley had spoken very respectfully about him.  Even if he did believe he won the fight and was wronged by the scoring he could have still commended the performance of Bradley and then taken issue with the judges separately.

ErmanH

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Mon 14 Oct - 15:30

Aye - its like Hagler - just too used to being robbed than to ever acknowledge the opponents performance. Though he did win that fight GODDAMNIT

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Mon 14 Oct - 15:33

ErmanH wrote:Was disappointed to hear his comments at the press conference especially as moments earlier Bradley had spoken very respectfully about him.  Even if he did believe he won the fight and was wronged by the scoring he could have still commended the performance of Bradley and then taken issue with the judges separately.
that's what got on my nerves I understand top sportsmen have to believe they are unbeatable after all why would they think anything else but not to even acknowledge that Bradley gave him a good fight was childish also Marquez's trainer acted like a total d*** after

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Mon 14 Oct - 15:48

JJM is behaving like a total classless crybaby, unless he is delusional he must know he clearly got beat and should be man enough to give credit to the better man not try to steal his thunder with claims of being robbed. When you contrast JMMs attitude with Manny's classy and respectful reaction to defeats it does Marquez little credit.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 14 Oct - 15:50

Had it 116 - 112 to Bradley, could only put it as a draw at the very most and thats giving Marquez every benefit of the doubt under the sun.

Bit disappointing from Marquez as surely he knows in his heart it was at the very least a close fight and that Bradley was very good all night.

Very impressed with the performance from Bradley, really thought he boxed superbly from start to finish, took his chances very well during the fight, was very elusive and was spot on tactically. He ountcountered Marquez which was amazing, had a bit of a Mayweatheresque look about him for a few rounds also.

The main thing that impressed me was his jab and head movement, ducked low and well.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 14 Oct - 15:51

Was funny when Bradley show boated and then Marquez stuck his face out trying to return the favour and got a dig in the mouth for it. Maybe thats why he is bitter haha
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Mon 14 Oct - 15:54

hogey wrote:JJM is behaving like a total classless crybaby, unless he is delusional he must know he clearly got beat and should be man enough to give credit to the better man not try to steal his thunder with claims of being robbed. When you contrast JMMs attitude with Manny's classy and respectful reaction to defeats it does Marquez little credit.
totally agree with you

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 14 Oct - 17:03

Sore loser for sure. He's probably my favourite fighter of this era so disappointing.

The crowd went crazy anytime JMM did anything so probably influenced his feelings on how things went.

Bradley is a tool anyway so not fussed!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 14 Oct - 17:13

Yes he is. Very sad to see that Marquez can't take his defeat like a champ.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 14 Oct - 17:26

Valero's Conscience wrote:Sore loser for sure. He's probably my favourite fighter of this era so disappointing.

The crowd went crazy anytime JMM did anything so probably influenced his feelings on how things went.

Why is Bradley a tool, always comes across as respectful and like a determined freak who gives everyone a lot of credit.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Mon 14 Oct - 19:33

Completely classless by Marquez. He comes off looking really bad. He walked out of the ring again straight back to the dressing room after the scores were read out. Refusing to do the in ring interview.
When interviewed in the dressing room he complained at being robbed for the 6th time.
I'm now surprised he's not convinced he beat mayweather. I suppose he's never heard the truism "nobody likes a sore loser".

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 14 Oct - 19:37

I think when he watches it back he'll see that he lost, but in the heat of the the moment and with it being such a close decision on the scorecards I can see why he may feel he was robbed. Especially considering previous fights involving him.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 14 Oct - 19:37

He says he's been robbed six times but in reality it's twice, Bradley, John, Norwood and Pacquiao 2 were all close fights but the right man got the decision. The first and third Pacquiao fights he should have got the decision but when you get dropped three times in the first rounds it's always a big ask.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Mon 14 Oct - 20:33

Never seen the fight,but spoke to my brother who is a Marquez fan and said Bradley beat him fair and square,so that's good enough for me.

Sore loser or can't see the wood for the trees.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 14 Oct - 20:37

I thought he won the first Manny fight by a mile and the second by a closer margin.......

He lost last night but he has had some rough decisions.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Mon 14 Oct - 20:40

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I thought he won the first Manny fight by a mile and the second by a closer margin.......

Definitely on the wrong side of 2 bum decisions against Pacquiao,been a great Mexican warrior ducked nobody,should call it a day nothing to prove.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 14 Oct - 20:44

My Sky box failed on me recording it in the early hours in the morning, so when I got home from work I threw a proper tantrum. Had to find a rubbish link on Youtube, got HBO commentary though, which was very good I thought. Lederman had it a bit wider than me. He had it 117 - 11 so 9 rounds to 3 which sounds a bit wide but only wider by 1 round than me.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 14 Oct - 20:46

Nico the gman wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I thought he won the first Manny fight by a mile and the second by a closer margin.......

Definitely on the wrong side of 2 bum decisions against Pacquiao,been a great Mexican warrior ducked nobody,should call it a day nothing to prove.
Couldn't agree more Mate.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 14 Oct - 20:49

Injustice seems to have become a bit of a theme for Marquez's career, albeit not many agree on just how much of it has been dished out to him over the years.

To me, looking at all his decision defeats / draws which have carried controversy singularly, then he's only been robbed in the proper sense of the word once, against Manny in their third fight.

Leaving aside the tanning Mayweather gave him, and Saturday's fight which was a perfectly legitimate and not at all controversial win for Bradley (will get to that in a second) all of those blemishes on his record since that early career defeat on a DQ have been contentious and arguable either way. A draw first time out against Manny did favour Pacquiao more than Marquez, I admit, but was just about justifiable. Their second fight could have been scored to either man by a point or two, or a draw, without anyone being 'wrong' or 'right' about it, so to speak. Ditto the defeats to John and Norwood.

So by the letter of the law, yes, he has certainly over egged the pudding with regards to how many times he's been flat out robbed.

One thing I will say in defence of Marquez, however, is that given that he has four extremely close and contentious fights on his record against major divisional rivals (the aforementioned Pacquiao I and II, Norwood and John), in most cases it'd be reasonable to expect a fighter in that kind of situation to have something like an equal split of wins and defeats over those fights, going by the law of averages and the like. Think De la Hoya and the many controversial points wins / losses on his ledger, for instance.

If, as you'd expect, Marquez had gone 2-2 in those fights on the official record, then he'd probably pipe down a little. But as it is, he's only been handed a 0-3-1 ledger in them, so while there's only one fight on his CV I'd class as a true stitch up, his overall record still, on paper, doesn't do him justice thanks to judging calls in those fights.

Understandable, to that end, that he looks for any old excuse to rant on about it.

But, as I said, he lost on Saturday night, simple as that, really. He's acted very poorly in the aftermath, and I can only hope that, when he looks back on the fight a little further down the line, he adopts a bit more class and maybe retracts some of the daft stuff he's been spouting these past couple of days, a little bit like Froch eventually did with regards to the first Kessler fight.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 14 Oct - 21:00

The above post is a good one beautifully argued but shows how different people score fights......

I had Marquez-Manny 1......... 10-1-1.....116-110........and a complete robbery..

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Mon 14 Oct - 21:01; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Mon 14 Oct - 21:06

Thought Marquez only lost the first round in the first fight with Manny,very poor decision for me.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 14 Oct - 21:13

Well I did have Marquez up by two at the end, Nico, so in some ways I can see what you're saying. If anyone won the fight outright, it was Marquez. But though I disagreed somewhat, I could still see a case for the draw and how someone could have it all square, hence why I'd say that Marquez was a bit unlucky in that one, rather than being completely taken to the cleaners by the officials.

It's a shame that the Marquez-Pacquiao series was so shrouded in controversy with regards to judging, because underneath all that it almost (and incredibly) seems to be forgotten that they've actually served us up one of the greatest, most thrilling series of fights in boxing history. Fights one, two and four were all modern classics and the third, while not at that level, was an enjoyable watch all the same. A bit tragic that the quality of the fights has often been overshadowed by other issues.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Mon 14 Oct - 21:27

88Chris05 wrote:Well I did have Marquez up by two at the end, Nico, so in some ways I can see what you're saying. If anyone won the fight outright, it was Marquez. But though I disagreed somewhat, I could still see a case for the draw and how someone could have it all square, hence why I'd say that Marquez was a bit unlucky in that one, rather than being completely taken to the cleaners by the officials.

It's a shame that the Marquez-Pacquiao series was so shrouded in controversy with regards to judging, because underneath all that it almost (and incredibly) seems to be forgotten that they've actually served us up one of the greatest, most thrilling series of fights in boxing history. Fights one, two and four were all modern classics and the third, while not at that level, was an enjoyable watch all the same. A bit tragic that the quality of the fights has often been overshadowed by other issues.
Yep agree with you Chris, Barrera, Morales classics ( despite both fighters feeling they were robbed),Pacquiao v Marquez would probably be described as controversial rather than classics.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 14 Oct - 21:51

88Chris05 wrote:Well I did have Marquez up by two at the end, Nico, so in some ways I can see what you're saying. If anyone won the fight outright, it was Marquez. But though I disagreed somewhat, I could still see a case for the draw and how someone could have it all square, hence why I'd say that Marquez was a bit unlucky in that one, rather than being completely taken to the cleaners by the officials.

Interesting argument........I can see a case for how Jo jo Guerra had Leonard-Hagler 118-110..........But it doesn't make it right........

For me this was Marquez greatest hour.............Down three times on the verge of a one round kayo..........Got up and outclassed a top 10 p4per........and got a draw.......

Every right to be upset..............I was for him.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 15 Oct - 10:42

AlexHuckerby wrote:
Valero's Conscience wrote:Sore loser for sure. He's probably my favourite fighter of this era so disappointing.

Why is Bradley a tool, always comes across as respectful and like a determined freak who gives everyone a lot of credit.
Not sure really, just never warmed to him. Maybe it's his tash but don't like him!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 15 Oct - 11:18

Valero's Conscience wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:

Not sure really, just never warmed to him.  Maybe it's his tash but don't like him!
Next month he'll be the coolest bloke on the planet and I will be trying to emulate him. Got a Wedding to go to an have informed the Bride-to-be that I will not be shaving off my moustache for Movember so she can banish me from all pictures or stick me at the back. I don't mind.

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 15 Oct - 14:47

fairly normal for me to banished to the back of wedding photos dave... don't need a tache as an excuse

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 15 Oct - 14:49

88Chris05 wrote: when he looks back on the fight a little further down the line, he adopts a bit more class and maybe retracts some of the daft stuff he's been spouting these past couple of days, a little bit like Froch eventually did with regards to the first Kessler fight.
.... before going full circle and denying kessler had beaten him!

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Tue 15 Oct - 17:41

He is a sore loser. But its nothing new. A lot of people find him so admirable inside the ring, that they just assume hes a gentleman outside it too. But his lack of class has always been there. Find Barrera similar too

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down