The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Price Is Right For Booth

+16
sparxz
tunes666
Lumbering_Jack
Union Cane
oxring
TRUSSMAN66
jimdig
OasisBFC
catchweight
bellchees
ONETWOFOREVER
Seanusarrilius
AlexHuckerby
Rowley
wheelchair1991
owen10ozzy
20 posters

Go down

Price Is Right For Booth Empty Price Is Right For Booth

Post by owen10ozzy Mon 14 Oct 2013, 16:50

Not sure if anyone else has picked up on this but it seems David Price has chosen Adam Booth as the man to resurrect his career

http://www1.skysports.com/boxing/news/12183/8972560/heavyweight-david-price-has-chosen-adam-booth-as-his-new-trainer

....What do people think of the move...Good pairing? The right choice from Price?

It's a strange one for me as I see nothing in Haye's arsenal that Booth himself has added and neither Haye or Groves are renowned for their jabs which is a vital weapon in the Heavyweight division...

Having said that he does seem to get the best out of people's natural talent and athleticism and has shown a good ability for laying out plans...

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Price Is Right For Booth Empty Re: Price Is Right For Booth

Post by wheelchair1991 Mon 14 Oct 2013, 16:51

any news on who is promoting Price?

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 14 Oct 2013, 17:04

Am not really sure if Booth is a good fit for Price or not. As I have mentioned on here on a number of occasions I do think Booth is fairly over rated as a trainer. Whenever his charges step it up in level he does not seem to have much in his locker tactically beyond circle round the outside and rush in with raids of one or two punches. That said I am not too sure those are too bad tactics for Price as he has not bad mobility for a big guy and has enough power to hurt guys once he lands.

Also the two major worries with Price would appear to be his chin and his stamina, as this tactic is not the most high output or does not involve staying in range too much should not expose his flaws too greatly. However in terms of his stamina I am yet to see much evidence Booth can train a heavyweight to do 12 rounds at a good lick as Haye has never really done this so am not really convinced Booth is the guy to address his stamina issues. As I say am not sure Booth is all that as a trainer but seems clear Price needed to make changes so this has definitely come at the right time for him.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 14 Oct 2013, 17:14

Groves seems to have a good tank on him, so it may just be in Haye's genetic make up. I also think the stamina accusations of Haye is a little bit OTT sometimes, I don't think he's relentless or anything but thik he probably has slightly better stamina than some think.

In terms of Booth training Price it could choose to be a good fit, he seems a very good trainer in getting his fighters getting to control range well and be defensively aware and land the major shots.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 14 Oct 2013, 17:15

To be fair Alex Haye's inactivity probably does him no favours in respect of stamina.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 14 Oct 2013, 17:18

Time will tell with Price and Booth. To be honest, I don't think Price has what it takes, no matter who trains him. Hope I am wrong as Price is such a nice guy.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 14 Oct 2013, 17:36

Rowley wrote:To be fair Alex Haye's inactivity probably does him no favours in respect of stamina.
Yeah, very possible. he always looks in great nick however...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 14 Oct 2013, 17:59

Price has what it takes he just lacked confidence when he fought TT. I think if Booth can instill some of his famous arrogance in Price, maybe get him to style his hair into cornrolls, grow a dodgy little goaty, get one of his ears pierced, start appearing on lame prime time reality shows exposing his buttocks to the nation, employ vulgar trash talking techniques, and have one of 10 toes readily available to blame in case he looses then I think Price will do big things in the heavyweight division.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Mon 14 Oct 2013, 18:21

I think Booth will primarily calm Price down and get him more relaxed while fighting which is the most important thing for him, he can't be bouncing around on his toes like a Featherweight for 3 minutes a round at his size and expect to go past 6 rounds. It will be interesting to see if he can develop a different style to that which he has trained Haye and Groves, the circle around and ambush.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 14 Oct 2013, 18:21

Hopefully Hearn chooses to promote him instead of Maloney. He's appeared to be very good with matchmaking and wouldn't have jumped Price to fighting no hopers to fringe world class level in one jump. He needed the learning fights that never happened.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 14 Oct 2013, 18:22

Price doesnt seem tough enough for what I have seen.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Mon 14 Oct 2013, 18:35

Rowley wrote:Am not really sure if Booth is a good fit for Price or not. As I have mentioned on here on a number of occasions I do think Booth is fairly over rated as a trainer. Whenever his charges step it up in level he does not seem to have much in his locker tactically beyond circle round the outside and rush in with raids of one or two punches. That said I am not too sure those are too bad tactics for Price as he has not bad mobility for a big guy and has enough power to hurt guys once he lands.

surely that's just based on one fighter - haye?

he trains haye like haye needs to be trained. he wouldn't get the same out of price as he has a different skillset and attributes.
we don't really know what booth is like as a trainer as he trains 2 fighters. one is a 2 weight world champ and top 3 heavyweight of the world, despite being 15 stone, the other is an unbeaten super middle fighting for a world title very early in his career.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 14 Oct 2013, 18:46

I kind of agree, he didn't seem to have that ability to bite down on the gumshield and tough it out when he's being fired upon.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 14 Oct 2013, 18:51

OasisBFC wrote:
Rowley wrote:Am not really sure if Booth is a good fit for Price or not. As I have mentioned on here on a number of occasions I do think Booth is fairly over rated as a trainer. Whenever his charges step it up in level he does not seem to have much in his locker tactically beyond circle round the outside and rush in with raids of one or two punches. That said I am not too sure those are too bad tactics for Price as he has not bad mobility for a big guy and has enough power to hurt guys once he lands.

he trains haye like haye needs to be trained. he wouldn't get the same out of price as he has a different skillset and attributes.
we don't really know what booth is like as a trainer as he trains 2 fighters. one is a 2 weight world champ and top 3 heavyweight of the world, despite being 15 stone, the other is an unbeaten super middle fighting for a world title very early in his career.
Trained Andy Lee for his last fight in which he didn't look very good and changed his tactics to a much more "Haye like" performance which didn't suit him.

He also trained Selcuk Aydin for one fight in which he also circled the ring and threw few shots, mainly just loading up on the right hand and lost to Jesus Soto Karass.

Stil rate Booth as a trainer however.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Mon 14 Oct 2013, 19:18

Andy lee is a fighter that should be working off a solid jab, staying on the outside, avoiding tear ups and needs his stamina improved. I haven't seen him fight since he moved to booth. But if I was price (who needs a similar list of improvements) I would be looking to see these improvements in lee before signing up.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 14 Oct 2013, 19:27

Whilst i agree, he has looked poor against relatively poor opposition, is what I was meaning.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 14 Oct 2013, 19:27

Although, his former trainer was Emmanuel Steward who is a great trainer, Booth is merely in the "very good" category for me.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 14 Oct 2013, 19:42

OasisBFC wrote:

Was also the tactics he applied for Groves in his biggest fight to date with Degale. Am not saying he is a bad coach by any means but he often gets portrayed as a master tactician and I just don't see it. Seems when his guys have a tricky assignment he has one answer and if it works all is fine but if it isn't working does not seem much else in the locker. Did not see any shift in tactics from Haye when Wlad clearly had his number and even Degale started to get the measure of Groves and he won more on the back of rounds in the bank than readjusting his gameplan. May well be wrong and hope I am because in Price he has a very different physical proposition than Haye so a good chance to display other facets to his game as a trainer.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 14 Oct 2013, 20:04

David price seems to be lost at the moment and clutching at straws.........

Seems to have so many holes in his armor that it would take re-incarnation to fix them......

Still the way the scene is at the moment.......If he waits for the Klits to go there is nothing to stop him landing a big right and nicking an alphabet belt....

Those are the times we are in.........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Mon 14 Oct 2013, 21:32

Psychologically, Booth will help Price a great deal. He certainly assists in giving his fighters confidence in themselves.

Boxing wise, I don't see it. Price has incredible physical attributes and a shaky jaw. He needs to protect that chin and keep people away from him with the jab. I can't see him doing that with Booth.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Mon 14 Oct 2013, 21:34

If Booth can help Price tell the difference between left and right he'll have done better than Lennox.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 14 Oct 2013, 21:38

Don't agree with the argument Rowley. Groves and Degale were so evenly matched it is inevitable he would lose rounds. Blaming Booth for not having a plan b seems unfair to me, he won a fight where he was a big underdog.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Mon 14 Oct 2013, 21:50

I think it could be a good move as I think Booth does like to get in his fighters heads and get them mentally ready. I also thought his assessment of Prices second defeat was good.

Thompson is a good fighter, Yes getting on a bit and cant do the 12 rounds like he used to but if it was not for the Ks he would have been a very strong world Champion.

So losing to him was no disgrace, he just had high expectations and did not rise to them.

But in both fights he showed he had plenty tools to defeat Thompson but just did not use them right and as booth said, had an anxiety attack in the ring in the second fight.

Price is talented, If booth can get in his head and implant some more composure and discipline to his game, then it could prove to be a very good partnership.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 14 Oct 2013, 21:54

I still don't think Price problem is mental...........He struggles to take a shot and he gasses worse than Bruno after a couple of rounds.........

My guess is he's suited to the amateur game where his flaws don't get exposed.......

Then again like I said after the Klits go.. everyone is flawed so he still has a chance.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 14 Oct 2013, 21:59

tunes666 wrote:I think it could be a good move as I think Booth does like to get in his fighters heads and get them mentally ready.  I also thought his assessment of Prices second defeat was good.

Thompson is a good fighter, Yes getting on a bit and cant do the 12 rounds like he used to but if it was not for the Ks he would have been a very strong world Champion.

So losing to him was no disgrace, he just had high expectations and did not rise to them.

But in both fights he showed he had plenty tools to defeat Thompson but just did not use them right and as booth said, had an anxiety attack in the ring in the second fight.

Price is talented, If booth can get in his head and implant some more composure and discipline to his game, then it could prove to be a very good partnership.  
Haye would have beaten Thompson at anytime in his career.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 14 Oct 2013, 22:01

I agree with Alex.........never forget that Thompson was a 41 year old average heavyweight who Price shouldn't be losing too........

Two defeats to Thompson are a helluva mess..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by sparxz Mon 14 Oct 2013, 22:10

Truss you mention price is chinny but, the 2nd fight he took some big big shots ( which he shouldn't be) and didn't fall down only lost due to gassing out which you also mentioned. Think he may have more of a chin than people think ALA khan tbh.

sparxz

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 14 Oct 2013, 22:13

I don't know Mate........Maybe .....He just seems to be a bit of a loser.......unfortunately..

Just doesn't seem to cut it........

Goodnight..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Mon 14 Oct 2013, 22:20

It's all mental with Price and that's what needs sorting out. With the sort of self-confidence that Booth can promote in his fighters it could be the shot in the arm needed to sort him out.

Get that right, and then work on the stamina & jab issues and he might become a worthy contender. As stated above, he didn't go down in the second fight despite taking some heavy shots so maybe the chin isn't so much the issue - more the stamina/belief.

There is potential there - it just needs to be unlocked.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 14 Oct 2013, 22:25

Big guy. Powerful right hand. Dangerous 3 round fighter. Luckily for him the division is a pile of crap. Still dont think he will go all that far. Lacks toughness, mental strength and natural confidence. Possibly irreparable at his age and this stage of his career.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 14 Oct 2013, 22:33

They weren't exactly Foremanesque shots, Jebus.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Mon 14 Oct 2013, 22:49

AlexHuckerby wrote:
Haye would have beaten Thompson at anytime in his career.
I would agree he would have beaten him that night, but not sure who Haye has beaten as a heavyweight to prove he would have delt with a prime Thompson so easy..

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 14 Oct 2013, 22:54

Just the look of Thompson and how he handled other opponents, he never really fought anyone of serious quality in the division himself. Powder puncher, nothing to seriously stop Haye getting into range. Can't see Haye losing personally.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 14 Oct 2013, 23:09

Price is ideal for Booth. Booth is used to training chinny fighters. But his boxers generally have a boxers heart. Something a boxer is born with and Price's boxers heart emigrated.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 14 Oct 2013, 23:12

Mr Bounce wrote:It's all mental with Price and that's what needs sorting out. With the sort of self-confidence that Booth can promote in his fighters it could be the shot in the arm needed to sort him out.

Get that right, and then work on the stamina & jab issues and he might become a worthy contender. As stated above, he didn't go down in the second fight despite taking some heavy shots so maybe the chin isn't so much the issue - more the stamina/belief.

There is potential there - it just needs to be unlocked.
It's not all mental confidence. There's the tiny element of him being a pile of crap as a boxer. That does count also.

Work on his stamina, jab, left hook, defence, footwork, right hook, uppercut and when to throw it plus the ability to evade a punch sent via email then we may have a semi decent boxer.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Mon 14 Oct 2013, 23:49

AlexHuckerby wrote:Just the look of Thompson and how he handled other opponents, he never really fought anyone of serious quality in the division himself. Powder puncher, nothing to seriously stop Haye getting into range. Can't see Haye losing personally.
I think in the first WK fight Thompson gave WK problems early on, and he really had a go. Haye did not have a go and gave WK very few problems..

I think if you use both fights as a meter, then a prime Thompson Vs Haye would be a competitive fight.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 15 Oct 2013, 07:16

Are people seriously using the phrase "Prime Thompson"?

He is a nothing fighter, a string of cans and two capitulations when stepping up. Brought over as a patsy so that Price could have an American on his record like Fury, only it went wrong. Suddenly Thompson is a great fighter, utter nonsense. Prime Thompson. What a joke.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 15 Oct 2013, 08:26

Union Cane wrote:Are people seriously using the phrase "Prime Thompson"?

He is a nothing fighter, a string of cans and two capitulations when stepping up. Brought over as a patsy so that Price could have an American on his record like Fury, only it went wrong. Suddenly Thompson is a great fighter, utter nonsense. Prime Thompson. What a joke.
Have to agree with most of what you say here. Thompson is in the pack of also rans in my opinion, but that pack is a long way behind the two leaders!! He did a bang up job of showing up Price and that will elevate him in many peoples eyes for quite a while.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 15 Oct 2013, 12:35

Indeed. Laughable.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Tue 15 Oct 2013, 13:46

Rowley wrote:
OasisBFC wrote:

Was also the tactics he applied for Groves in his biggest fight to date with Degale. Am not saying he is a bad coach by any means but he often gets portrayed as a master tactician and I just don't see it. Seems when his guys have a tricky assignment he has one answer and if it works all is fine but if it isn't working does not seem much else in the locker. Did not see any shift in tactics from Haye when Wlad clearly had his number and even Degale started to get the measure of Groves and he won more on the back of rounds in the bank than readjusting his gameplan. May well be wrong and hope I am because in Price he has a very different physical proposition than Haye so a good chance to display other facets to his game as a trainer.
it was booth's gameplan that won him the fight against degale. it was a fight most assumed he'd lose too. and against Wlad his supposed gameplan couldn't be executed due to haye not being able to push off effectively with a broken toe. (but mostly down to Wlad being far better than they thought).

i think if we can all plainly see price needs different tactics to haye, an experienced pro trainer in booth should know better than us.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 15 Oct 2013, 13:51

I hope you're right mate and I dearly hope you are right as I like Price a lot and hope he can rebuild. If Booth can rebuild him from where he is now, which must be pretty much rock bottom confidence wise even I may have to give Booth some credit (grudgingly)

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Tue 15 Oct 2013, 14:06

Rowley wrote:I hope you're right mate and I dearly hope you are right as I like Price a lot and hope he can rebuild. If Booth can rebuild him from where he is now, which must be pretty much rock bottom confidence wise even I may have to give Booth some credit (grudgingly)
I think you are too generous Rowley. Rebuilding to where he is now means defeating Sexton and McDermott - neither of whom have fists of steel and both are fights I believe that Price wins easily, even after defeat to Thompson.

If Booth could rebuild Price to more than he currently is - a tall heavyweight with good power but questionable defence and stamina - I agree, Booth would deserve a medallion cast in his honour. To merely achieve dominance without threatening on a world level? That he achieves on talent alone, without a trainer.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Tue 15 Oct 2013, 14:21

Well, he would have had a prime. Every fighter/athlete does regardless of who they are.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Tue 15 Oct 2013, 14:28

J.Benson II wrote:

Well, he would have had a prime. Every fighter/athlete does regardless of who they are.
True, Thompson's was probably around 2006, when he was a prospect, beating the likes of Guinn and Ibragimov. He looked a damn site better in Klitschko one than two as well. The sequel is never as good.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Tue 15 Oct 2013, 15:05

yeah when he was not 40 he was more in his prime, and he made WK have to adjust after giving him problems early on. Haye has not beaten any Heavyweight that Thompson could not and if chisora can give Haye a fight (which he did) i cant see why Thompson could not have when he was younger and fitter..

Like I say, the heavyweight division minus the Ks is not great but Thompson is definitely a candidate for a champion....

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Tue 15 Oct 2013, 15:33

tunes666 wrote:

yeah when he was not 40 he was more in his prime,  and he made WK have to adjust after giving him problems early on.  Haye has not beaten any  Heavyweight that Thompson could not and if chisora can give Haye a fight (which he did)  i cant  see why Thompson could not have when he was younger  and fitter..  

Like I say,   the heavyweight division minus the Ks is not great but Thompson is definitely a candidate for a champion....  
Given he was just outboxed by Pulev, who has not set my heart racing by any means, I cannot see how Thompson can be called "a candidate".

He holds no place in the top 10 in the world, according to both the Ring and Boxrec.

He is over 40. Pulev, Povetkin, Haye, Adamek, Solis, Helenius, Stiverne, Fury all, rightly or wrongly, line up in front of him in the rankings list and he lacks the raw excitement of Wilder or, to a lesser extent, Boytsov. Even with the worst case scenario, there are only 4 belts and I see at least 2 more likely contenders for each belt once the Klitschkos retire.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down