The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Booth and Groves split.

+15
Rowley
Haito
rycoys
AlexHuckerby
Lumbering_Jack
milkyboy
Bellz84
Steffan
tunes666
Strongback
John Bloody Wayne
Scottrf
catchweight
azania
mark_england
19 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Booth and Groves split. Empty Booth and Groves split.

Post by mark_england Thu 26 Sep 2013, 8:34 pm

Hasn't really been spoken about, anyone know why they split? Anyone think the influence of Hearn might have something to do with it? Booth likes to be the one in complete control, and maybe he wasn't happy with Hearn's plans/influence? Just can't see why they'd split to be honest though.

Under Booth who can get Groves fighting intelligently and with discipline, I thought he'd beat Froch, now I just think he'll get into a tear up which will be disastrous for him.

Hope Groves does win, find Froch quite a loathsome character, you'd think by the way he speaks he's the best fighter the world has ever seen. Saw an interview where he calls himself a world superstar the other day. The way he talks that Groves shouldn't possibly say a bad world about him because he's a respected world champion is very irritating. Oh, and the way he always calls himself a warrior is annoying also.

mark_england

Back to top Go down

Booth and Groves split. Empty Re: Booth and Groves split.

Post by azania Thu 26 Sep 2013, 8:48 pm

No idea why they split. Seems odd given the timing. Perhaps booth was spending too much time with Haye for booth's liking given the upcoming fights they both have. Booth seems ideal for Groves for the reasons you gave.

I don't know what a new trainer can give Groves so close to the fight. But he seems an intelligent boxer who can follow and execute a fight strategy as per instructions.

Hope he wins. Froch is a bell end.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 26 Sep 2013, 8:51 pm

Froch is loathesome indeed. I dont think Groves woulda/coulda/shoulda win no matter who trains him.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 26 Sep 2013, 8:51 pm

Perhaps Groves is settling down now as a family man, and wants no part of the Dark Lord's extra curricular activities.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 26 Sep 2013, 8:55 pm

Booth is team Edward.
Groves is team wearwolf.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 26 Sep 2013, 9:04 pm

Groves said on Talk Sport that Booth informed him by text that he was no longer his trainer.

Booth is still Groves manager which must be an awkward arrangement at the moment.

Booth is a spoilt brat. Hopefully he does retire from boxing as he said he would.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Thu 26 Sep 2013, 9:19 pm

you would have thought Groves must have done something to merit that, I have often had my reservations about Booth but to do that something must have caused it and if not then its not a very nice thing to do before such a big fight for him.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 26 Sep 2013, 9:21 pm

Sadly I think its going to be another night where the Slimester Froch gets the W and gets another chance to tell us how much of an amazing fighter and warrior he is

Really hope not though. Loving that so many people are rooting for Groves. Finally everyone is seeing Froch for the loathsome horrible slimey little piece of vile that he is

Come on George you can do it son boxing

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 26 Sep 2013, 9:34 pm

You know I've been saying that about froch for some time but called a wum for my tireless attempts to educate the miscreants on here. I'll continue educating them. Tough but someone has to do it.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellz84 Thu 26 Sep 2013, 10:21 pm

Is there any chance that Groves was sparring Haye and caused the cut on Haye? Would possibly make sense for Booth to then drop Groves? Who knows. Seems like a very strange situation. Hopefully Kugan will get an interview with Booth or Groves and we will find out some of the truth...???

On another note, Froch is being such a Muppet in the buildup to his fight with Groves. Going on about respect etc. Hope Groves beats him and knocks that chip off Carl's shoulder.

Bellz84

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 26 Sep 2013, 10:26 pm

azania wrote:You know I've been saying that about froch for some time but called a wum for my tireless attempts to educate the miscreants on here. I'll continue educating them. Tough but someone has to do it.
You are the only source of original thought on here az. Where would we be without you? No need to reply to that, it was rhetorical.

As for those tireless attempts to educate. I think tireless is definitely the word fella;)

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 26 Sep 2013, 10:29 pm

Thank you for your........kind words

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 26 Sep 2013, 10:36 pm

And you do irony too. You are the gift that keeps on giving.Very Happy

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu 26 Sep 2013, 10:38 pm

A lot of hatred for someone who is basically an arrogant twerp.

You must really hate people who are actually bad, not just those with a questionable personality.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 26 Sep 2013, 10:46 pm

milkyboy wrote:And you do irony too. You are the gift that keeps on giving.Very Happy
The missus does the ironing.....boom boom.

I'm here all week. Very Happy 

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 26 Sep 2013, 10:47 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:A lot of hatred for someone who is basically an arrogant twerp.

You must really hate people who are actually bad, not just those with a questionable personality.
Hug kiss 

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 26 Sep 2013, 11:15 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:A lot of hatred for someone who is basically an arrogant twerp.
Bit harsh. Az  isn't that arrogant

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 26 Sep 2013, 11:18 pm

milkyboy wrote:
Bit harsh. Az  isn't that arrogant
And the twerp part Headscratch

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 27 Sep 2013, 4:13 am

I'm gonna go out on one. Its not real, he's picked someone close by and Booth is going to be secretly training him, I know it sounds mad but Booth is this much of a crackpot with the mind games, Booth will be in his corner come fight night I tell thee!! Also Booth is still his manager so it has nothing to do with Hearn if thats people are reckoning, they'll be training in a batcave somewhere I tell thee!!

I know this sounds mad but I genuinely believe it.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by rycoys Fri 27 Sep 2013, 6:51 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:I'm gonna go out on one. Its not real, he's picked someone close by and Booth is going to be secretly training him, I know it sounds mad but Booth is this much of a crackpot with the mind games, Booth will be in his corner come fight night I tell thee!! Also Booth is still his manager so it has nothing to do with Hearn if thats people are reckoning, they'll be training in a batcave somewhere I tell thee!!

I  know this sounds mad but I genuinely believe it.
you seriously might be on to something there,

rycoys

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Sep 2013, 6:54 pm

rycoys wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:I'm gonna go out on one. Its not real, he's picked someone close by and Booth is going to be secretly training him, I know it sounds mad but Booth is this much of a crackpot with the mind games, Booth will be in his corner come fight night I tell thee!! Also Booth is still his manager so it has nothing to do with Hearn if thats people are reckoning, they'll be training in a batcave somewhere I tell thee!!

I  know this sounds mad but I genuinely believe it.
you seriously might be on something there,
Fixed that for ya, fella

Back to top Go down

Booth and Groves split. Empty groves v froch , and the split?

Post by rycoys Fri 27 Sep 2013, 7:13 pm

I seriously can't understand the split between groves and booth, groves must be in such a bad place right now , how the hell can he be 100 per cent confidant in what he needs to do without the man who spent years guideing and training him into the boxer he is today and it's obvious booth has a massive part in he's success , the biggest fight in he's life and he is takeing a massive gamble , the boxer must trust the trainer and have complete confidence in what they say and it doesn't happen over night, look at groves development , I just can't see how groves can expect to get someone new and beat froch , the whole thing doesn't make sence!
Now I'm a big froch fan but think acting a prize boobie in the build up , the war of words where he wad spouting off to groves how he lakes respect and lists off who he's fought and what he's done, like groves can't have an opinion on why he can beat him! To me it's froch who lacked respect and did nt act like a champion, although it was entertaining !

rycoys

Back to top Go down

Post by Haito Fri 27 Sep 2013, 8:14 pm

Froch has just been trying to intimidate and rile Groves really, but he hasnt been doing it very well, coming across like a complete tool for the most part!.

As for the trainer issue, I cant see how swapping trainers at this point is going to help Groves in the slightest apart from maybe giving him a ready made excuse if like I and many others believe he does end up losing the fight.

Haito
Haito

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sat 28 Sep 2013, 12:45 am

rycoys wrote:I seriously can't understand the split between groves and booth, groves must be in such a bad place right now , how the hell can he be 100 per cent confidant in what he needs to do without the man who spent years  guideing and training him into the boxer he is today and it's obvious booth has a massive part in he's success , the biggest fight in he's life and he is takeing a massive gamble , the boxer must trust the trainer and have complete confidence in what they say and it doesn't happen over night, look at groves development , I just can't see how groves can expect to get someone new and beat froch , the whole thing doesn't make sence!
Now I'm a big froch fan but think acting a prize boobie in the build up , the war of words where he wad spouting off to groves how he lakes respect and lists off who he's fought and what he's done, like groves can't have an opinion on why he can beat him! To me it's froch who lacked respect and did nt act like a champion, although it was entertaining !
I think Froch's view is that he had to work hard to be world champ and fight allot of good fighters, where Groves has done relatively little to get this title shot... So he does not really respect him on that basis.. But im not sure why he has to go on about it, I guess its just to sell the fight..

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 28 Sep 2013, 9:28 am

That might be froch's view. If Brian Magee and an ancient robin Reid make up a lot of good fighters then I guess he's right. He fought for a vacant title so didnt beat a champion to become one. Nothing wrong with any of that, but hardly gives him the moral high ground.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sat 28 Sep 2013, 9:54 am

rycoys wrote:, the boxer must trust the trainer and have complete confidence in what they say and it doesn't happen over night,
I don't really get this comment. Surely based on this if Groves has lost that confidence dumping Booth would be the correct decision. To be honest whilst the timing seems odd don't personally think this is a huge deal. Think Booth is vastly overrated as a trainer. Seems his only tactical masterplan is for fighters to float round the outside and launch occasional raids. Am yet to see a plan B when this does not work. As Degale started to adjust with Groves George or Adam did not really come up with anything new to counter his adjustment and we are all well aware of how lacking in a plan B Haye was against Wlad.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 28 Sep 2013, 10:01 am

It's interesting that so many boxers seem to lack a plan b when they fight Wlad.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sat 28 Sep 2013, 10:02 am

milkyboy wrote:That might be froch's view. If Brian Magee and an ancient robin Reid make up a lot of good fighters then I guess he's right. He fought for a vacant title so didnt beat a champion to become one. Nothing wrong with any of that, but hardly gives him the moral high ground.
indeed it was vacant so it was up for grabs for the next best opposition.., not from a fighter who has defended it against many world class fighter, and also this fight is for the WBA and IBF... I just understand why Froch may feel on higher ground to Groves, not that Froch is coming across great.

I dont think Groves as even really fought at Euro level really, James Degale (who he certainly did not outclass or beat IMO) was his hardest test that may go on to prove a good performance none the less, and a completely shot 43 yo Glen Johnson in his own back yard. and here he is fighting for the WBA and IBF straps... that's boxing but Carl has clearly fought at another level to be what he is.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 28 Sep 2013, 10:12 am

No arguments that groves is a little fortunate to be getting his chance tunes. My point was just that froch had hardly cleared out all the contenders before getting his chance either. He certainly took plenty of tough fights when he got there.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sat 28 Sep 2013, 12:32 pm

Groves is a mandatory. He doesnt owe Froch anything. If Froch had offered him a title shot out of the blue he might feel Groves owes him. All Groves has said is that he believes he can win and has seen weaknesses in Froch in past fights. Froch is lucky to be a world champion at all. He says he is the WBA champion but its a piddling title thats worthless. His IBF title is only marginally better in the circumstances.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sat 28 Sep 2013, 1:13 pm

azania wrote:It's interesting that so many boxers seem to lack a plan b when they fight Wlad.
Do they have a plan A?

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 28 Sep 2013, 1:18 pm

I think its difficult to have a plan B against Wlad as you are already trying to fight through already heavy blows - if you open up, lose position or drop your guard he'll throw with impunity and knock you out without holding back. As long as you have the option to counter - you have a chance - you give that up and you've had it. Tyson or Tua Type fighters will get through but most fighters wont.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sat 28 Sep 2013, 1:41 pm

The majority of the opponents Klitschko fights lack the rudimentary elements of boxing. Its not rocket science what Klitschko does. He is one of the most predictable heavyweights of all time. His success is down to experience, keeping in condition and having solid fundementals. This puts him way ahead of nearly all the other useless, talentless or washed up heavyweights.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 28 Sep 2013, 2:06 pm

catchweight wrote:
azania wrote:It's interesting that so many boxers seem to lack a plan b when they fight Wlad.
Do they have a plan A?
He takes that away. Many seem to seriously underestimate him.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 28 Sep 2013, 2:11 pm

Thats true and it'll stop Wlad ever reaching the elites but Chagaev and Haye - two decent Heavyweights didnt get a look in so he is more than just the best of a bad bunch but probably less than the greatest 10-15.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 28 Sep 2013, 2:53 pm

Come on shah, the haymaker would have done him with a fully functioning set of tootsies.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 28 Sep 2013, 3:20 pm

milkyboy wrote:Come on shah, the haymaker would have done him with a fully functioning set of tootsies.
Aye, those tootsies would have helped him run rings around Wlad

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sat 28 Sep 2013, 4:03 pm

azania wrote:
catchweight wrote:
Do they have a plan A?
He takes that away.  Many seem to seriously underestimate him.
I dont think they underestimate him. I just dont think they have the basic talent necessary. Most of the heavyweights nowadays arent even in shape or know how to throw an effective jab. Klitschkos competition flatters him greatly. The lack of talent being produced in the heavyweights means the Klitschkos can stay on top just by being good at doing the basics and by being good athletes who stay in condition. Theres a major lack of guile or athletic talent in the division.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 28 Sep 2013, 4:17 pm

Put Floyd in the ring with Bernard Hopkins, and see how that goes. I dont know when or who - but sonetime in history a myth kicked off in boxing that size counts all the way up until the heavyweight division, and ince you get there, suddenly a forty pound deficiency means nothing... David Haye at 6'3 , by historical accounts, is actually a pretty big heavy, and would be at the top end of anything Ali, or Louis faced, but in this genersation, the word stock-standard comes to mind. Klitschko himself noted that Haye was blazing in terms if speed, but when youre so much smaller against a guy fighting at his peak condition, unlike, say Primo, size becomes a huge obstacle. So, essentially, the smaller Heavies are too small, and would probably be cruiserweights if the division wasnt as dead as Madonnas career, while the big lugs ironically lack the mobility to damage the Klitschko
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sat 28 Sep 2013, 4:27 pm

Im not a believer in the size theory at heavyweight. 200-220lb is ideal for a heavyweight and once you go above that its difficult to be mobile, agile and active. There are numerous smaller heavyweights I think would be well capable of beating the Klitschkos. The Klitschkos are made look alot better than they are by such ordinary opposition.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 28 Sep 2013, 5:04 pm

Im sorry mate, but if a 7lbs difference can make a change in lower divisions, I cant see how a 40lbs one is neglible, or a disadvantage to the bigger guy, which seems to be your theory
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 28 Sep 2013, 5:05 pm

Im sorry mate, but if a 7lbs difference can make a change in lower divisions, I cant see how a 40lbs one is neglible, or a disadvantage to the bigger guy, which seems to be your theory
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 28 Sep 2013, 5:14 pm

Its the optimum level of speed and power. Above that you begin to lose that mobility though Wlad seems to have bucked that trend. Also affects stamina and ability to snap out punches and get your explosive knockouts though Lewis bucked that trend also.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sat 28 Sep 2013, 5:17 pm

Pretty simple. Once you get too big and heavy then you the gains in size or offset by loss of mobility, speed, agility and stamina. Heavyweights between 200-220lb have the best combination of ingredients for boxing purposes.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 28 Sep 2013, 5:25 pm

Yeah, Im sure they do, a point I didnt argue... but welterweights at 147 have an even better combo, so why dont they fight Cruiserweights?

Size matters. Thats why the cruiserweight division was created.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sat 28 Sep 2013, 5:32 pm

Im not comparing them to welterweights. Im comparing them to the optimum. I think the optimum weight is 200-220lbs. Above that the size issue isnt really any great advantage and talent is basically the determining factor. If you were to eliminate all weight classes in boxing then I think the most successful boxers would generally come from the 200lb-220lb weight category.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 28 Sep 2013, 5:36 pm

Thats because they are bigger!
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sat 28 Sep 2013, 5:42 pm

They are bigger than some weights but smaller than others. A 200lb boxers size avantage will count for alot over a welterweight. I dont think a 250lb boxers size will necessarily count for alot over a 200-220lb heavyweight.

I think best boxers will come from the 200-220lb weight class so I dont think being a big 250lb guy is going to be any advantage over them for the reasons i put above.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 28 Sep 2013, 6:03 pm

I think it counts a lot. Otherwise, Dwight Qawi coulf have won a HW title as well
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sat 28 Sep 2013, 6:06 pm

kingraf wrote:I think it counts a lot. Otherwise, Dwight Qawi coulf have won a HW title as well
Well by your rationale Valuev would be the greatest of all time. He could barely beat a ancient Holyfield.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next