The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Could the Booth split be good for Groves?

+2
TRUSSMAN66
Seanusarrilius
6 posters

Go down

Could the Booth split be good for Groves? Empty Could the Booth split be good for Groves?

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 18 Oct 2013, 1:31 pm

Paddy Fitzpatrick is more experienced than Booth, and Groves will be getting all the attention he needs. No sharing with Haye and now Price, just hard work and dedication (had to do it). Maybe breaking with Booth is for the best?

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Could the Booth split be good for Groves? Empty Re: Could the Booth split be good for Groves?

Post by Guest Fri 18 Oct 2013, 1:39 pm

I know Rowley isn't a fan of Booth's seeming ubiquitous "circle and jab" tactics, but what other tactics is Groves going to have sucess with against Froch?

His new trainer would have to be something of a muppet to advocate going into the trenches (jokes about the Irish being used to being in ditches will not be tolerated) so I can't see what he brings to Groves' that Booth doesn't already.

If Groves wins using the "box and move" tactics, many will say it's only what he learned with Booth (shortly before proclaiming Froch to be shot!) and that Fitzpatrick hasn't done anything special.

Back to top Go down

Could the Booth split be good for Groves? Empty Re: Could the Booth split be good for Groves?

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 18 Oct 2013, 1:42 pm

Who knows.........But as we've seen with numerous splits with trainers in the past.........A couple of months isn't usually enough time to forget "What-your-Momma-told-you-so"...

Hatton-Manny being the ultimate disaster......

I imagine this split is over money......Groves biggest bang of bucks yet.........

Booth is a savvy operator and very shrewd........Whilst he's an arrogant jerk he seems like someone I'd like guiding me.......

Too soon for a new trainer to make his mark properly..

So I'll say no but an interesting question..........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 18 Oct 2013, 2:00 pm

True Truss, but do we see Paddy as a new trainer. Apparently (and I am going on what others have said online), Paddy has been involved in training Groves before, and even showed Botoh the ropes. Maybe Groves will focus more cause he knows a lot of people are expecting him to fall flat on his face without Booth.

Last edited by Seanusarrilius on Fri 18 Oct 2013, 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 18 Oct 2013, 2:11 pm

I also like the way Booth stays calm in the corner..........Very important the Trainer stays cool, clear and concise and he is like your Micky Duff in that regard....

Never liked the Angelo Dundee approach.

Duff was excellent with Mugabi against Hagler and Honey against curry.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Fri 18 Oct 2013, 3:10 pm

Apparently one of Booth's training methods involves spinning his fighters around until they are dizzy and then getting them to spar as it is supposed to be just like getting hit with a concussive punch.

Would much rather be dizzy than hit with a concussive punch personally.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Fri 18 Oct 2013, 4:22 pm

I don't think Haye was active enough for Groves to have not had enough attention from Booth.

There was an interview with Booth on iFilm a while back and I did notice when Booth was asked about Groves chances against Froch, he was saying "if he applies him self like I know he can and sticks to what we do in training" then I know he can beat Froch (im paraphrasing, something along those lines) ..

So maybe Booth has not been happy with how Groves was applying him self and this caused friction.

If so then Groves will not benefit from a trainer who just lets him do what he wants, OR if they simply no longer understood each other in their working relationship then the change will be better for Groves.

On fight night maybe we will find out.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 Oct 2013, 4:30 pm

Groves' main issue has been his inability to maintain his focus for 12 rounds. He's guilty of switching off at times and against better opposition, he can ill afford to do that.

If, as Booth says, he does the things he's done in training, sticks to a gameplan and concentrates for the full three minutes each round then there's every possibility of an upset although I do feel he'll have to survive a late barrage from Froch.

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sat 19 Oct 2013, 9:13 am

I thought it was a purely monetary decision. Booth was taking 35% of groves purse. 10% as manager 25% as trainer. The manager contract can't be broke so he stays on as manager.
As it looks highly likely that groves gets knocked out, giving away that amount of coin in possibly the biggest fight he will ever have is crazy.

The Irish have plenty experience fighting in the trenches, 210,000 volunteered to be used as cannon fodder in the Somme. The gameplay for trench war fare can't be any worse than the one used there.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Sat 19 Oct 2013, 7:33 pm

'sharing' the gym with other fighters isn't a bad thing.
it'll spur him on if anything.

look at gallagher's gym - hardly hurting them is it.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 19 Oct 2013, 7:47 pm

OasisBFC wrote:'sharing' the gym with other fighters isn't a bad thing.
Not If he gets to spar a few rounds with Jabby..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down