The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey vs Scotland (away)

+3
Tibor
guildfordbat
Corporalhumblebucket
7 posters

Go down

Surrey vs Scotland (away) Empty Surrey vs Scotland (away)

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 14 May 2011 - 16:07

The squad is unchanged:

The Hyphen (Captain)
Steven Davies (Wicket Keeper)
Jason Roy
Zander de Bruyn
Tom Maynard
Matthew Spriegel
Gareth Batty
Chris Schofield
Yasir Arafat
The Viscount
Stuart Meaker
Gary Wilson
Jade Dernbach

Fresh from his pair I would expect Wilson to miss out - he is in no sort of form - and probably the Viscount. The weather forecast is none too promising for Scotland ... We've got quite a good range of bowlers for this competition.

Last edited by Corporalhumblebucket on Sat 14 May 2011 - 18:52; edited 1 time in total

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Surrey vs Scotland (away) Empty Re: Surrey vs Scotland (away)

Post by guildfordbat Sat 14 May 2011 - 18:45

Corporal - it seems strange to continue to include Wilson in the squad when given his recent form he has hardly any chance of playing. Surely better for Adams to take the in form Harinath along, if only for the air miles and to show he is back in the manager's thinking.

I agree with you that the Viscount again looks like the other one to miss out.

It will be very disappointing if the weather brings our CB 40 winning run to a halt, particularly as this is a game from which we would certainly expect to pick up full points.

Any idea why Pietersen isn't in this squad? Many seem to think it is a done deal deal that he will play in next week's CC game - almost certainly correct but don't ask me to like it!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Tibor Sun 15 May 2011 - 10:11

Although I agree on the two you identify to miss out, the call on the Viscount is perhaps a harder one to call.

The pitch and conditions are unlikely to favour schofields "spin" (Batty is nailed on to play), and might suit Linleys dobbers.

Whichever way they go with those two, i'll be happy though.

Still waiting for our batting line up to really fire, but something tells me an overcast match in Scotland will not be the place for it either!

Tibor

Back to top Go down

Post by jbd349 Sun 15 May 2011 - 10:52

I doubt that Schofield will miss out as he is needed at 7 to strengthen the batting. IMO, Jordan should be playing instead of Batty at 8.

jbd349

Back to top Go down

Post by MuchHappierSurreyFan Sun 15 May 2011 - 10:53

This is a great chance to keep up our 100% record, with our batting line up we should be able to give these short formats a real go.
I remeber we almost qualified last year from our CB40 group but a washed out game against Scotland really hurt us!

Come on the Lions

MuchHappierSurreyFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Tibor Sun 15 May 2011 - 11:16

Depressed, it was a washout against the Unicorns wasn't it?

Anyway, I felt we deserved to progress last year, this year is our chance.

Tibor

Back to top Go down

Post by MuchHappierSurreyFan Sun 15 May 2011 - 11:51

Ah yes correct Tibor thats right, hopefully a win today can keep us at the top of the table, not sure what the weather is looking like up north?

MuchHappierSurreyFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 15 May 2011 - 13:22

I'm 400+ miles away from Edinburgh, but from the BBC weather map it looks as tho' the Edinburgh area may just about get away without too much rain...

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 15 May 2011 - 13:28

Corporal - lets hope the weather holds. Might still be the time for you to call in a favour from Major Jock Strap and ask him to position a few of his troops on the boundary edge with buckets and mops .... Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 15 May 2011 - 14:03

They've started.... Hyphen out almost immediately. Roy started positively. Wilson and Linley not playing.

Guildford - hope the mops won't be needed!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 15 May 2011 - 14:19

Davies and Roy taking the Scots to the cleaners at the moment.....8th over: 69 for 1.....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 15 May 2011 - 14:29

Davies gone - 93 for 2 in the llth over.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 15 May 2011 - 16:36

Great innings from Spriegel - 82 not out, rescuing Surrey from mid innings doldrums. Once the bowlers took the pace off the bowl the scoring rate slowed dramatically. Total of 257 a lot lower than looked likely early in the innings but a lot higher than seemed possible with five overs to go.

From the commentary sounds as tho our slower bowlers will need to do most of the work. We might have been better off playing the Viscount rather than Arafat... De Bruyn may play a key role...

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 15 May 2011 - 16:44

Despite a few wobbles along the way we end up with 257 - 7 off our 40 overs. Spriegel stepping out from the chorus to play the starring role with an undefeated 82 at better than a run a ball. Roy chipped in with 52. As Tibor says, one day when everyone comes to the party we are surely going to post a truly massive score.

Anyway, too many runs for Scotland to chase. As long as the rain continues to hold off a bit longer, we'll be heading south tonight with another win ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 15 May 2011 - 18:05

Cry Gloom for the Corporal and Gooch as West Ham throw away a 2 goal lead at Wigan to confirm relegation. Typical of a dismal season. Wigan's last minute winner not such good news for Carrot either - but Brum lost.....

Surrey could do with a couple of wickets to peg Scotland back... They will need about 150 off last twenty overs... Spriegel having a good match all round.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 15 May 2011 - 18:07

....which we get almost immediately. Surrey well on top now.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Sun 15 May 2011 - 18:49

Hi Corporal - I've been expecting the dismal news for a while now..........just hope Grant gets sacked tonight as a slight glimmer of hope..............it comes to something when I'm relying on Surrey to cheer me up!
Looks like we're putting the 'blip' against Cambridge behind us and carrying on as normal in the 40 over game

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 15 May 2011 - 18:50

Corporal and Goochie - hope Surrey's inevitable win provides a bit of comfort on a sad day for you Hammers Sad

Carrot - think you can start 'wolfing' down the Banks' beer as I don't see either the Tangerines or the Blouses getting anything from their final game 🍺 Oops, wrong thread! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Sun 15 May 2011 - 19:07

Hi Guildford
On a final footy note, I think Blackpool might get something against the Manure reserves next Sunday.................but what do I know, I support a Divison Two team now!

Anyway, back to cricket and 'We are top of the league, I say we are top of the league'!! Whistle

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Sun 15 May 2011 - 19:29

Would have much preferred a Hammers win today but it's still in our hands so I will still take that. Next Sunday will be very nerve-wracking although I will be at work all day. At least Grant has now 'parted company' with your lot.

Back to the cricket - well done Spriegel, really needed his contribution today especially looking at how we could have got a much lower score and they would have got a lot closer. 100% still in this competiton, although 3 against Scotland and Leics so not counting any poultry just yet.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down