The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tony Bellew vs Adonis Stevenson 30th November

+12
seanmichaels
Mind the windows Tino.
KingMonkey
mobilemaster8
TRUSSMAN66
Steffan
ONETWOFOREVER
Boxtthis
catchweight
azania
Lance
Daz
16 posters

Go down

Tony Bellew vs Adonis Stevenson 30th November Empty Tony Bellew vs Adonis Stevenson 30th November

Post by Daz Thu 17 Oct 2013, 5:29 pm

Just read this on BBC, thought I would share:

Liverpool's Tony Bellew has signed a deal to fight Canadian WBC light-heavyweight champion Adonis Stevenson in Quebec City on 30 November.

Bellew, 30, is a former British and Commonwealth champion and was beaten by then WBO champion Nathan Cleverly of Wales in 2011.

But he beat Isaac Chilemba in a rematch in May  , having drawn the first fight, to secure a second world title shot.

Stevenson, 36, has been beaten once in 23 fights and will be a big favourite.

The Haiti-born Canadian won the title with a first-round knockout of Chad Dawson in June  and defended it with a seventh-round retirement of Tavoris Cloud in September.

Stevenson's only defeat was as a super-middleweight in 2010 and he has 19 knockouts in 22 victories.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/24572614

I personally see Bellew getting destroyed.  Just a cut under the top level in my opinion.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Tony Bellew vs Adonis Stevenson 30th November Empty Re: Tony Bellew vs Adonis Stevenson 30th November

Post by Lance Thu 17 Oct 2013, 5:35 pm

Hes gonna have to stay out of danger early on. Would have been interesting to see Stevensons stamina late on had Cloud managed to continue. Bellews boxing skills have been a little underrated in the past and his power has been overrated. I just think Bellew sometimes confuses himself and runs out of ideas when hes having to take the fight to an opponent. Problem here is Stevenson is excellent coming forwards and hes also got a decent counter on him when he stays in range. Personally I think Stevenson is useless at going backwards. Bellews best chance is to pin him back, but this is not one of his strengths

Lance

Back to top Go down

Tony Bellew vs Adonis Stevenson 30th November Empty Re: Tony Bellew vs Adonis Stevenson 30th November

Post by Daz Thu 17 Oct 2013, 5:39 pm

Bellew showed his boxing skills with his rematch with McKenzie (which was a stinker but did the job). I'm not sure his power will trouble Stevenson who looks like the real deal at LH. Bellew hasnt looked very good since, although Chilemba is hard to look good against, I just cant see Bellew beating Stevenson as much as I want him to.

I'm going for Stevenson LKO.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 Oct 2013, 5:42 pm

Daz wrote:Just read this on BBC, thought I would share:

Liverpool's Tony Bellew has signed a deal to fight Canadian WBC light-heavyweight champion Adonis Stevenson in Quebec City on 30 November.

Bellew, 30, is a former British and Commonwealth champion and was beaten by then WBO champion Nathan Cleverly of Wales in 2011.

But he beat Isaac Chilemba in a rematch in May  , having drawn the first fight, to secure a second world title shot.

Stevenson, 36, has been beaten once in 23 fights and will be a big favourite.

The Haiti-born Canadian won the title with a first-round knockout of Chad Dawson in June  and defended it with a seventh-round retirement of Tavoris Cloud in September.

Stevenson's only defeat was as a super-middleweight in 2010 and he has 19 knockouts in 22 victories.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/24572614

I personally see Bellew getting destroyed.  Just a cut under the top level in my opinion.
Seems a tad disrespectful to Bellew and kinda suggests Stevenson is something special, having done f*** all squared for most of his career but there's currently an Adonis 606 love-in going on. Let's face it, about three people knew who he was before he beat Dawson (one of them was Stevenson himself) and yet typically we've got every man and his dog once again leaping on another bandwagon.

Bellew is a tad one dimensional at times but has shown that whilst he's not brilliant at it, he can actually box when required. Bellew's biggest challenge is to rein in his natural inclination to include everything bar the kitchen sink whenever he throws a punch. It's leaves him open to counters and looking very crude but with a little more circumspection he may have a few successes of his own.

Yes, he goes into the fight as an underdog but he's earned his title shot and should hopefully give a good account of himself.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 17 Oct 2013, 5:45 pm

Stevenson via EKO. Bellew talks exciting but is boring. Can't see it going more than 5 rounds. The scouse just isn't good enough. Plus like his scouse mate, he has chin issues. Against Stevenson that spells problems.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Thu 17 Oct 2013, 5:46 pm

man are the LHW ranking up in the air at the moment. boxrec have Bellew ahead of Dawson and Pascal. I don't see who Bellew has beaten to be ahead of Dawson yet. Worse still they have Maccrinelli ahead of Braehmer and Cleverly?? Chavez Jnr at 4?? But the division really is open for interpretation, and there are some good fights to be made. If Bellew can win this one, he can make some good money against the likes of Pascal and Hopkins.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 17 Oct 2013, 6:04 pm

Stevenson, easy

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Thu 17 Oct 2013, 6:12 pm

Bellew is decent, but I don't see anything he does better than Stevenson. I was really impressed by the way a big puncher like Stevenson boxed on the backfoot vs Tavoris Cloud. Not trying to say he's a superstar (before I get accused of being on the hype train - ridiculous expression). But, I think he has more in every department than Bellew. Bellew is good enough and determined enough to make it close. I'll be rooting for him.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 Oct 2013, 6:33 pm

Boxtthis wrote:Bellew is decent, but I don't see anything he does better than Stevenson. I was really impressed by the way a big puncher like Stevenson boxed on the backfoot vs Tavoris Cloud. Not trying to say he's a superstar (before I get accused of being on the hype train - ridiculous expression). But, I think he has more in every department than Bellew. Bellew is good enough and determined enough to make it close. I'll be rooting for him.
Maybe but no more ridiculous than the habit of certain posters to champion a particular fighter on the back of 15 minutes of footage and start including him in their personal p4p lists or bunging them in every other thread they post on. It'll never stop and never stop annoying me but that's the way things go.

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Thu 17 Oct 2013, 6:34 pm

Not disrespectful at all Dave. Just saying what I think will happen. I like Bellew, ill be wanting him to win but can't see it happening.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 17 Oct 2013, 6:41 pm

Bellew just isnt that good. Il take Stevenson beating Dawson and Cloud over anything Bellew has done.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 Oct 2013, 6:44 pm

That would be dependent on rating either Dawson or Cloud in the first place

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Thu 17 Oct 2013, 6:45 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
Boxtthis wrote:Bellew is decent, but I don't see anything he does better than Stevenson. I was really impressed by the way a big puncher like Stevenson boxed on the backfoot vs Tavoris Cloud. Not trying to say he's a superstar (before I get accused of being on the hype train - ridiculous expression). But, I think he has more in every department than Bellew. Bellew is good enough and determined enough to make it close. I'll be rooting for him.
Maybe but no more ridiculous than the habit of certain posters to champion a particular fighter on the back of 15 minutes of footage and start including him in their personal p4p lists or bunging them in every other thread they post on. It'll never stop and never stop annoying me but that's the way things go.
Certainly a ridiculously overused and poorly applied expression. It sometimes feels like we boxing fans can't get enthusiastic about a fighter without it being used. But, saying that, if anyone is putting Stevenson on their p4p list already then, yes, they have bought in to the hype prematurely.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 17 Oct 2013, 6:48 pm

Not really. They are better than anyone Bellew beat. Never been impressed with him.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 17 Oct 2013, 7:30 pm

Bellew will need a ko for sure to win this as its in Quebec and the Canadians really get behind there fighters, plus what they are all waiting for is to see the winner of Bute v Pascal take on Adonis.

Canadian woman are hot BTW.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 17 Oct 2013, 7:54 pm

Bellew will lose

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 17 Oct 2013, 8:11 pm

I'm one of the few people who finds Stephenson exciting but am not convinced he's all that.........

I mean Cloud basically looked like a past-it fighter and you'll always look good against someone who can't hurt you and let's you do anything you want....Also he caught Dawson cold which can happen to anybody.......

Bellew is sharp and can punch quite hard...........No plan B though which is a problem but I imagine stephenson will let him come forward may help.........

Saying that I'd probably side with Stephenson..........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Thu 17 Oct 2013, 8:14 pm

Agree with your comment on Dawson, Bellew is quite smart as he showed in the rematch with McKenzie...but...I still think Stevenson is a level above.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Thu 17 Oct 2013, 8:16 pm

Forgot to add, Bellew had a different game plan in the rematch but has not shown any adaptability during a fight.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 17 Oct 2013, 8:16 pm

No way Bellew can go there to Canada and win on points NO WAY. They see this as a tune up fight for the winner of Bute v Pascal trust me they are already looking past Tony. He needs a ko plain and simple....can he go over there and do it?

If he does it will be a bigger win then Barker's over Gaele. I can't see it really the light heavy division is littered with Canadian talent right now they are looking to clean up and land some massive domestic fights over there. Not to mention the fella who beat Miranda on the Stevenson v Cloud card. Tough job for Bellew....cannon fodder.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 17 Oct 2013, 9:39 pm

Bellew is simply out of his league here. Looked very poor against Chilemba and didn't exactly set the world on fire against Miranda.

Stevenson seems to be on a role at present. Good stoppage wins against decent operators in Dawson and Cloud

I have Bute, Pascal, Dawson, Cloud, Cleverley, Kovalev, Hopkins all above Bellee so the ratings are cack.

Stevenson bombs the bomber early, around the 4th.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Thu 17 Oct 2013, 9:44 pm

Knockout for me too, hopefully not that early and Bellew gives a good account of himself. I think late, but have a dreadful feeling its going to be a brutal knockout.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Fri 18 Oct 2013, 7:23 am

I have spurious family links to Quebec City, I'd lo e to get out there for this but it just isn't happening. I'd be quite happy travelling even if I do expect Tony to get handily beat. Superman looked far too good against Cloud and as much as I like Bellew he's going to have to pull something out that we haven't seen from yet.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 18 Oct 2013, 8:17 am

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:

Canadian woman are hot BTW.
They sure are. I married one.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri 18 Oct 2013, 10:09 am

Didn't Froch side step Stvenson at Supermiddle?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Fri 18 Oct 2013, 10:28 am

Stevenson was his mandatory but Froch wanted the Kessler fight. Nobody thought Stevenson was a threat so barely batted an eye at the time. Superman's stock has seriously risen since then and the Dawson ko.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Fri 18 Oct 2013, 12:02 pm

Bellew is a British/European class fighter, Stevenson by Knock out.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Fri 18 Oct 2013, 12:20 pm

Bellew will need to work massively on his speed here. Head and foot movement especially. No point taking Stevenson's punches on the arms as they'll take their toll. Make him miss.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Fri 18 Oct 2013, 12:37 pm

Bellew hasn't mixed in the highest company and seems to lack a decent KO punch despite the nickname "Bomber". He's not exactly exciting, and I agree he'd likely need a KO to win in Canada.

That said, prior to Dawson & Cloud, Adonis hadn't exactly mixed it up with the best either. He has big power but is ragged and can be put down himself. I just don't think that Tony is good enough to exploit that weakness. You could argue that Dawson was caught cold and Cloud was never much good anyway, but Stevenson has stepped up where it matters so good luck to him I say.

Adonis by KO in 7-9 rounds.

As for the post-Bellew All-Canada match-up I can't see Bute getting past Pascal unless Pascal's injuries flare up. I can see Jean putting pressure on Bute and he will crack, much in the same way that War Froch dealt with him. Mid to late TKO.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Fri 18 Oct 2013, 8:18 pm

Hard one to call, While I dont think Bellew is the best out there, I think he is capable of becoming a champ and is a decent all rounder.

Stevenson has the power but if Bellew can be smart and take the fight past mid way then I think he has a good chance of out boxing Stevenson... If he fights with his heart too much which he tends to do sometimes then he may run into trouble and get stopped.

I think people have under estimated Stevenson, if Bellew gives him the respect he should then he has a good chance.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 18 Oct 2013, 8:24 pm

I don't agree with that Tunes...

Kovalev knocks him out

Stevenson knocks him out

Hopkins makes him look like cack

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Fri 18 Oct 2013, 11:10 pm

Bellew talks a good game, but isn't a world level fighter.

Lost to Cleverley, who was the weakest LHW champion in the division.

Got a robbery SD against Chilemba in their first fight. Chilemba isn't world level.

Stevenson will knock Bellew's head off inside 6 rounds

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Fri 18 Oct 2013, 11:32 pm

I think you cant right a fighter off down to one poor performance (ie Cleverly) and Bellew was more than a match for him and probably deserved a Draw..

And Bellew beat Chilemba decisively in a rematch..

I would not bet on Bellew winning and wont have an easy night thats for sure, but give him a chance, more than people are making out...

Bellew a a little bit good at everything, and if he gets the right game plan he could do well.

Im not convinced as of yet that Stevenson is unstoppable him self, all be it comeing off the back of two strong performances, he was certainly not feared before, though he will be now.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Fri 18 Oct 2013, 11:51 pm

tunes666 wrote:I think you cant right a fighter off down to one poor performance (ie Cleverly) and Bellew was more than a match for him and probably deserved a Draw..

I would not bet on Bellew winning and wont have an easy night thats for sure, but give him a chance, more than people are making out...

Bellew a a little bit good at everything, and if he gets the right game plan he could do well.

Im not convinced as of yet that Stevenson is unstoppable him self, all be it comeing off the back of two strong performances, he was certainly not feared before, though he will be now.

But Bellew didn't merit a rematch because he 'lost' the first fight with Chilemba.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sat 19 Oct 2013, 10:14 am

Gerry SA wrote:
tunes666 wrote:I think you cant right a fighter off down to one poor performance (ie Cleverly) and Bellew was more than a match for him and probably deserved a Draw..

But Bellew didn't merit a rematch because he 'lost' the first fight with Chilemba.
I thought a Draw was a fair result to be honest, I think Chilemba was a bit more slippery than he had planned, it was razor close. However, in the rematch Bellew clearly won.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sat 19 Oct 2013, 3:08 pm

I thought Chilemba won the first fight. But was pleasantly surprised with Bellew in the rematch. Despite his big mouth hes clearly humble enough to take advice and learn from mistakes in order to progress. Stevenson is there to be beaten with the right game plan.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down