The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alvarado Vs Provodnikov (Spoilers)

+11
Hammersmith harrier
as1079
Seanusarrilius
Gerry SA
John Bloody Wayne
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
TRUSSMAN66
mobilemaster8
PPVxHOTTY
Lance
AlexHuckerby
15 posters

Go down

Alvarado Vs Provodnikov (Spoilers) Empty Alvarado Vs Provodnikov (Spoilers)

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 20 Oct 2013, 5:03 am

One of the fights of the year. All out war, Alvarado seemed to be doing well and just about had the measure albeit being topsy turvey all the way through.

Provodnikov just managed get to him and deck him twice in the 8th, Alvarado came roaring back, but kept the pressure on and hurt him nearly every time he landed clean. Last 30 seconds of the 10th Provodnikov hurt him and barraged him against the ropes , Alvarado survived, but he either quit on his stool or the corner pulled him out. Great fight as expected.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Alvarado Vs Provodnikov (Spoilers) Empty Re: Alvarado Vs Provodnikov (Spoilers)

Post by Lance Sun 20 Oct 2013, 5:09 am

Excellent fight. I think provodnikov fought like a man who needed the win more and was much more determined. it was nip and tuck for the first 6 rounds, but you did get the feeling provodnikov was wearing him down, and that prov could have taken shots all night. once alvarados power started to drain half way through it was an impossible task for him. just couldn't keep provodnikov away.

Its a shame some boxing fans fascination only goes as far as the celebrity boxers, cos these guys layed it on the line ten times more than your multi millionaire prize fighters are willing to and deserve plenty of credit. provodnikov is a monster.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by PPVxHOTTY Sun 20 Oct 2013, 5:16 am

Good job Ruslan got him out of their otherwise we might have seen a home town robbery. As Lance said Ruslan wanted it more kept coming forward and it was just a matter of time, also its nice to see Macklin and Moore 'actual current boxers' talking sense rather than usual MCcrory and Nelson dribble.

Would like to add, when I saw Alvarado's condition at weigh in 'weight drained' I ran to local bookies and placed £300 on Ruslan to win outright at 11/10 :-). Bookies have been calling fights wrong recently im sure many of you cashed in on Bradley aswell.

PPVxHOTTY

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 20 Oct 2013, 7:20 am

Didn't watch the fight gents but just had a look at the report on boxingscene and it sounded brilliant as expected.

will try and look for a link later on. Ruslan is a monster.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 20 Oct 2013, 12:08 pm

Bless the kid..........It meant everything to him didn't it !!

Looks like a small Chuvalo.........If I was a 140 pounder though I'd be eyeing him up.....

Heart and toughness can only go so far.....Too easy to hit.

Alvarado...Time to retire Mate..........You took a real pounding.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 20 Oct 2013, 12:09 pm

Great great fight, and by 8 rounds there wasn't a lot Alvarado had done wrong. It was going like Rios-Alvarado II with Alvarado keeping a high workrate and Ruslan with the better powerful shots

The difference was unlike against Rios, Mike couldn't hurt Ruslan and started to wane and Ruslan came on and handed out a beating in the 8th. Alvarado tried to come back but his legs never returned and was out on his feet at the end of the 10th so his corner was smart to end it as he could have got hurt

With the ongoing battle between TR and GB is a crying shame as Ruslan could be matched with anyone at 147 and would deliver excitement. Providing Pacquiao doesn't kill Rios, Rios-Provodnikov is a dream matchup, unlike Alvarado, both want to engage and neither are great boxers so it'll be toe-to-toe and so gruelling, more gruelling than Bradley- Prov or Rios vs Alvarado I & II

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 20 Oct 2013, 12:26 pm

I've tried and failed to find a full replay. If anyone finds one, sharing would be most appreciated.

Yours faithfully,
JBW

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 20 Oct 2013, 2:09 pm

For the second time in 3 fights, Mike Alvarado's heart ruled his head and he's taken a severe beating from a very hard puncher.

Just like Alvarado Rios 1, Mike was doing everything right, then decides to engage toe to toe with the Siberian animal and pays a heavy price.

Kudos to Provodnikov. He's one tough beast. And a worthy WBO super lightweight champion.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 20 Oct 2013, 2:16 pm

Great fight and Prov would not be denied. Shame for Alvarado to lose the belt in first defence after working so hard to win it. Still has Rios III if Pac pounds him, but Alvarado has been in a lot of tough fights.

Prov will give anybody at 140 a tough nights work. Great for fans

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 20 Oct 2013, 2:23 pm

Prov vs Garcia would be good.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 20 Oct 2013, 2:29 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:Prov vs Garcia would be good.
Won't happen with Goldenboy having Garcia

Prov v Marquez
Prov v Rios/Pac

Could see those

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 20 Oct 2013, 2:42 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:

Prov v Marquez
Prov v Rios/Pac

Could see those
Surely if Provodnikov gets into the top 3 ranked 140 rankings

Then Garcia would have to face him for the Linear title?

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sun 20 Oct 2013, 3:11 pm

Gerry SA wrote:For the second time in 3 fights, Mike Alvarado's heart ruled his head and he's taken a severe beating from a very hard puncher.

Just like Alvarado Rios 1, Mike was doing everything right, then decides to engage toe to toe with the Siberian animal and pays a heavy price.

Kudos to Provodnikov. He's one tough beast. And a worthy WBO super lightweight champion.
I take it you are an Alvarado fan? his heart didn't rule his head at all. he was never gonna win this fight, he couldn't hurt provodnikov no matter what he did, and he kept him away as long as he could. from the first minute it was clear who was gonna win this fight. did you watch it? provodnikov fights like margarita, but with more power!!! bradleys win looks better now. agree with truss though the guy takes too many shots, but its gonna take somebody a lot more powerful than Alvarado to stop him

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by as1079 Sun 20 Oct 2013, 3:11 pm

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OQQB_hbish8

Not a particularly good stream (not on my phone anyway) but it is the full fight.

as1079

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 20 Oct 2013, 3:52 pm

Gerry SA wrote:
Seanusarrilius wrote:

Prov v Marquez
Prov v Rios/Pac

Could see those
Surely if Provodnikov gets into the top 3 ranked 140 rankings

Then Garcia would have to face him for the Linear title?
Wouldn't have to face him, all Garcia has to do is defend against a top ranked fighter in the next 18 months, as far as the linear title goes there are no mandatories. Garcia beats Provodnikov easily enough anyway, he's good but neither Bradley or Alvarado possess world class power, that left hand lands it's game over.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 20 Oct 2013, 3:59 pm

Only 3? Remember his fights against Herrera, Prescott (particularly this one) and Martinez were all tough fights, so 6 tough fights in a row and it showed a little last night

Still not sure on Ruslan though. Hits like a bull and seems to have a great chin, but he was outboxed at times last night (as he was against Bradley) becuase he just couldn't get off, and as Truss says he is easy to tag so a puncher, which mike isn't really, could have a field day against him

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 20 Oct 2013, 4:03 pm

Lance wrote:
Gerry SA wrote:For the second time in 3 fights, Mike Alvarado's heart ruled his head and he's taken a severe beating from a very hard puncher.

I take it you are an Alvarado fan? his heart didn't rule his head at all. he was never gonna win this fight, he couldn't hurt provodnikov no matter what he did, and he kept him away as long as he could. from the first minute it was clear who was gonna win this fight. did you watch it? provodnikov fights like margarita, but with more power!!! bradleys win looks better now. agree with truss though the guy takes too many shots, but its gonna take somebody a lot more powerful than Alvarado to stop him
Mexican fan...

TBH Provodnikov and Rios aren't to dissimilar.

Alvarado kept Rios at bay in the second fight.

Alvarado failing to make the weight, shows he took Provodnikov too easily. And he paid a very heavy price.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 20 Oct 2013, 4:05 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:Only 3? Remember his fights against Herrera, Prescott (particularly this one) and Martinez were all tough fights, so 6 tough fights in a row and it showed  a little last night

Still not sure on Ruslan though. Hits like a bull and seems to have a great chin, but he was outboxed at times last night (as he was against Bradley) becuase he just couldn't get off, and as Truss says he is easy to tag so a puncher, which mike isn't really, could have  a field day against him
Alvarado can't help but get into a brawl.

These last few fights have done big damage to him IMO

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 20 Oct 2013, 4:11 pm

I think prov could use a trainer who tightens him up a little bit. On occasion he throws excellently timed shots and others he wastes.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 20 Oct 2013, 4:29 pm

Provodnikov v Mathysse

Please....please...

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sun 20 Oct 2013, 4:39 pm

Gerry SA wrote:
Lance wrote:

Mexican fan...

TBH Provodnikov and Rios aren't to dissimilar.

Alvarado kept Rios at bay in the second fight.

Alvarado failing to make the weight, shows he took Provodnikov too easily. And he paid a very heavy price.
I agree that Alvarados last few fights have taken it out of him, and the weight issues were disappointing too. Maybe a fresher Alvarado would have done better. but I was talking purely about last night. he seemed to know quite early on he was in an uphill battle, and I don't think he was gonna win whatever he tried. Although he won some of the first 6 rounds, they were taking their toll on him

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 20 Oct 2013, 5:40 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:Provodnikov v Mathysse

Please....please...
I think Matthyse blows him out the water, he's fundamentally more skilled with seemingly more power and just as good a chin, he's got all the bases covered. Top rank seem to have the punchers without skill while golden boy seem to have the skillful punchers.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 20 Oct 2013, 5:49 pm

I agree Mathysse wins. But if there's one guy out there who can stand with him in ring center for a few rounds it's Ruslan.

Having watched the whole fight, I was impressed with a couple of things Ruslan did. 1 was he could still flurry with both hands in round 10 of a gruelling fight. That takes some special conditioning.

The second was that around round 6, maybe before, he began turning to the right, around Alvarado's lead left foot - effectively turning southpaw up close - and this brought his left hook back into play. Whoever that little Fillipino who was subbing for Roach in his corner is, he's doing something right.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 20 Oct 2013, 5:51 pm

I wouldn't wanna meet Ruslan's mother down a dark alley. She looks hard as nails.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 20 Oct 2013, 8:44 pm

Impressed with Provodnikov in this one.

He is what he is, at the end of the day, and if / when someone negates his inside game and is fit enough to stick a hard, consistent jab on him for twelve rounds he'll struggle, but the bloke is very tough, very fit and hits hard. I'm impressed with the fact that he seems to have learned at least one thing from the Bradley loss, and that's making sure that he doesn't lose rounds by moving his man in to position, or cornering them, but then not letting enough actual shots go when he does. Remained all over Alvarado last night and never stopped throwing.

Unfortunately, the schism between HBO and Showtime / Top Rank and Golden Boy mean that fights with Provodnikov against the likes of Garcia and Matthysse are going to be tricky to make unless one fighter / party is willing to make a lot of concessions, but I just wonder if Marquez might fancy a crack at Ruslan?

Marquez kept it close enough against Bradley to show that he still has some of his lustre left, either 140 or 147 is doable for both men it would appear and, importantly, Provodnikov is the kind of fighter that Marquez usually loves facing and he often shines against.

Wouldn't mind seeing it myself, although I suspect Marquez might not fancy the job for a few reasons. A defence against Rios (assuming he loses to Manny, of course) is the most likely scenario, but if it stays in-house as it almost certainly will then I'd much rather see Ruslan in there with Marquez.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sun 20 Oct 2013, 10:39 pm

I read on Twitter that Provodnikov is not an official Top Rank fighter. He is under another promotion company (cant remember the name). But the fight last night had a clause in it that Provodnikov has to defend the belt on a Top Rank card next but after that he can fight whoever he wants. So there could be light at the end of the tunnel in regards to potential Garcia, Matthysse showdowns.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 20 Oct 2013, 10:43 pm

Ah, right. Cheers Reborn, didn't know that - just assumed that Arum had his claws in him, given that he's done Top Rank some handy business in his last two fights, and knowing how much Bob likes to keep it all in-house. Similar situation with Cotto right now, too. As you allude to, if Provodnikov can safely get through that contracted defence then he could make for some great fights with the other major names at 140 / 147, win lose or draw.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Snakeyman123 Mon 21 Oct 2013, 12:40 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:I wouldn't wanna meet Ruslan's mother down a dark alley. She looks hard as nails.

Couldn't miss her in that blouse anyway mate..

Snakeyman123

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down