The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does anyone know a famous rugby player?

+26
Rangiora
doctornickolas
nganboy
rainbow-warrior
aucklandlaurie
chargedowntotheface
littlejohn
westisbest
ChequeredJersey
welshy824 (new)
tigerleghorn
bedfordwelsh
No9
The Saint
Mr Bounce
GunsGerms
Cyril
jimmyinthewell68
LordDowlais
rodders
Biltong
mystiroakey
fa0019
munkian
GloriousEmpire
RugbyFan182
30 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Does anyone know a famous rugby player? - Page 2 Empty Does anyone know a famous rugby player?

Post by RugbyFan182 Thu 24 Oct 2013, 2:13 am

First topic message reminder :

My girlfriends brother stayed with Donncha o Callaghan family member during college and had breakfast with him at more then one occasion last year. I met Ronan o gara in a shop in the City where I live. What i'm asking does anyone know a Rugby player, I mean met them or know them quiet well to the stage where they could tell a story about them. I'm interested....

RugbyFan182

Back to top Go down

Does anyone know a famous rugby player? - Page 2 Empty Re: Does anyone know a famous rugby player?

Post by Guest Thu 24 Oct 2013, 11:18 pm

The late great Jack Matthews (Bleddyn Williams's centre partner for Cardiff, Wales and the Lions) was our family doctor when I was a boy. Every time I went to the doctor he looked to be in need of treatment himself - cuts, bruises, swelling, etc!

Back to top Go down

Does anyone know a famous rugby player? - Page 2 Empty Re: Does anyone know a famous rugby player?

Post by chargedowntotheface Fri 25 Oct 2013, 2:30 am

Played with and against Luther Burrell between the ages of 6 and 18. His dad coached our academy team when he was off with Leeds - fearsome character and great bloke!

chargedowntotheface

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 25 Oct 2013, 7:19 am

Last Monday some bloke by the name of Richie McCaw gave me an ice cream, he was doing a promo for the company that we both work for.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 25 Oct 2013, 7:23 am

I was at school with Wahl Bartman. He was one year ahead of me, then went to the same University as him, once in a practice game of rugby he seared me into the ground.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Fri 25 Oct 2013, 7:32 am

Used to have a drink with the late great Victor Yates in Herekeno. Went to his funeral. See the Goings at Mid Northern most games and also Kamo Jones when he is up watching Kamo funnily enough. George North I knew when a very young lad as I then lived in the same village. Know a few others too:)
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 25 Oct 2013, 10:27 am

Biltong wrote:I was at school with Wahl Bartman. He was one year ahead of me, then went to the same University as him, once in a practice game of rugby he seared me into the ground.
BB do you remember Hendrik Daffue? I believe he was a lock for FS & Transvaal during the isolation years, now a copper. Married to my old afrikaans tutor.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Fri 25 Oct 2013, 10:34 am

The All Blacks often eat at my brothers restaurant when they are in Wellington so my bro knows a few of them. Him and Dagg get on well as they had a common friend (met at his funeral sadly). My son plays for MSP same team as Victor Vito.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 25 Oct 2013, 10:38 am

Have played against:

Gordan Darcy
Eoin Reddan
Bob Casey

and with

Darcy and Reddan a few times.

Met the Kearney brothers and Fergus Mc Fadden a few times. Have met Shane Jennings a few times too.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 25 Oct 2013, 10:47 am

fa0019 wrote:
Biltong wrote:I was at school with Wahl Bartman. He was one year ahead of me, then went to the same University as him, once in a practice game of rugby he seared me into the ground.
BB do you remember Hendrik Daffue? I believe he was a lock for FS & Transvaal during the isolation years, now a copper. Married to my old afrikaans tutor.
Sorry mate, doesn't ring a bell.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Fri 25 Oct 2013, 10:52 am

I knew Dai Young at school although he was a couple of years older than me and went to Uni with lots of names, including Rob Howley who was on my course and I knew quite well then. Don't really know any now though.

Tom Shanklin lives around the corner and drops his kids off at the same school as mine but I have never spoken to him.

I played against Derwyn Jones once for our school. He was captain of their team and our captain was about 5'5" and once they had shook hands and tossed the coin Derwyn patted our captain on the head as he was most of his eventual 6'10" at that age. Our captain was pretty embarrassed.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 25 Oct 2013, 11:00 am

doctornickolas wrote:I knew Dai Young at school although he was a couple of years older than me and went to Uni with lots of names, including Rob Howley who was on my course and I knew quite well then. Don't really know any now though.

Tom Shanklin lives around the corner and drops his kids off at the same school as mine but I have never spoken to him.

I played against Derwyn Jones once for our school. He was captain of their team and our captain was about 5'5" and once they had shook hands and tossed the coin Derwyn patted our captain on the head as he was most of his eventual 6'10" at that age. Our captain was pretty embarrassed.
Good story. Love that stuff.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 25 Oct 2013, 11:01 am

Biltong wrote:
fa0019 wrote:
Sorry mate, doesn't ring a bell.
played mainly in the 80s with chaps like Gysie Pienaar, think he had a reasonably long career but given he didn't play tests he's less well known. My skoenpa recalls him barely, the name but not the player. Apparently he would have been a bok had SA not been in isolation but thats for another day.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Fri 25 Oct 2013, 11:03 am

doctornickolas wrote:I knew Dai Young at school although he was a couple of years older than me and went to Uni with lots of names, including Rob Howley who was on my course and I knew quite well then. Don't really know any now though.

at six feet ten he could pat  most people on head .  Im five ,eleven and James hook walked pass me in a pub in swansea once , he looked six two , six three surprisingly

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Fri 25 Oct 2013, 11:38 am

GunsGerms wrote:

My other little story is we were out down the Mumbles one night and had had a couple of shandies. My mate went to the toilets, and a little buoyed up with booze, said to the guy at the urinals, "shift up fatty" and was more than a little concerned when Scott Gibbs turned around. Luckily Scott said nothing and just moved up.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 25 Oct 2013, 11:51 am

In South Africa, Scott Gibbs is positively trim compared.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 25 Oct 2013, 11:52 am

Gibbes is probably harder though.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 25 Oct 2013, 11:53 am

then Kobus Weise!!!! if he could reach him.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Rangiora Fri 25 Oct 2013, 3:22 pm

Was at school with Paul Thorburn, Welsh captain.

Bought our first house in New Zealand off Greg Somerville the All Black prop.

Through the Crusaders season ticket package meet them quite a few times at supporters BBQ's aand after games in the hospitality lounge.
Played golf with " Aussie McLean " and whilst on the golf front Maureen Madill the commentator is an old girl friend

Rangiora

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 25 Oct 2013, 3:27 pm

doctornickolas wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

My other little story is we were out down the Mumbles one night and had had a couple of shandies. My mate went to the toilets, and a little buoyed up with booze, said to the guy at the urinals, "shift up fatty" and was more than a little concerned when Scott Gibbs turned around. Luckily Scott said nothing and just moved up.
I took a urine beside Tommy Bowe at the urinals in Dundrum shopping centre.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 25 Oct 2013, 3:28 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
doctornickolas wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

Did you get stage fright?

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 25 Oct 2013, 3:29 pm

Not gonna lie I always get stage fright.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 25 Oct 2013, 3:30 pm

fa0019 wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
doctornickolas wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

Did you get stage fright?
He is only showing off now..

that he goes to Dundrum Shopping centre...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 25 Oct 2013, 3:31 pm

It is a nice shopping centre.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 25 Oct 2013, 3:36 pm

It is a nice shopping centre...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 25 Oct 2013, 3:37 pm

is it the sort of place you can buy the America's Cup 2013 highlights DVD?

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 25 Oct 2013, 3:39 pm

Absolutely....Dundrum caters for all sorts of pretentious cr.p

Just to add not saying Americas cup highlights are pretentious or anything like that...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Fri 25 Oct 2013, 4:14 pm

Met and had a few beers with Mal O'Kelly, Reggie Corrigan, Gavin Duffy and Paul O'Connell after the first SA test in Bloemfontein in 2004. Peter Stringer was there sipping a nice glass of water in the roped off area not talking to anyone. ROG was also there not talking to anyone but more from the lack of ability to talk than avoiding us drunken fools.
Have met Mal several times since and he's a sound bloke.
Played against Shane Byrne twice, 20 years apart. The latest was two years ago and he played no. 8 for Arklow.
Have met Des Fitzgerald and Alain Rolland many times through work. Des tries to be quite intimidating and to be fair he is still a big strong guy. Allain is sound enough, very professional.
I was in the company of a current Irish international years ago before he was capped. There was a drinking game involved. He used his left hand when it should have been his right and he had to lick a mates testicle as a forfeit.

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 25 Oct 2013, 4:24 pm

ME-109 wrote:Absolutely....Dundrum caters for all sorts of pretentious cr.p

Just to add not saying Americas cup highlights are pretentious or anything like that...
Its just a shopping centre with shops. Think you need to branch out a little ME-109. I'm sure its no different to what you get in Limerick/Cork etc.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Fri 25 Oct 2013, 4:25 pm

Played golf with Rory Lawson and HRH Tindall, they only did 9 holes each (due to hard training that morning apparently) whereas I did full 18, 9 with each. HRH was subbed off at half time. Rory was a pleasant company, we spoke fondly of his grandad the legend Bill McLaren..although I only knew Bill via the telly.

Got a faded old photo of me and Will Carling in a bar in Dublin. England having earlier lost to Ireland.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 25 Oct 2013, 4:26 pm

Submachine wrote:Met and had a few beers with Mal O'Kelly, Reggie Corrigan, Gavin Duffy and Paul O'Connell after the first SA test in Bloemfontein in 2004. Peter Stringer was there sipping a nice glass of water in the roped off area not talking to anyone. ROG was also there not talking to anyone but more from the lack of ability to talk than avoiding us drunken fools.
Have met Mal several times since and he's a sound bloke.
Played against Shane Byrne twice, 20 years apart. The latest was two years ago and he played no. 8 for Arklow.
Have met Des Fitzgerald and Alain Rolland many times through work. Des tries to be quite intimidating and to be fair he is still a big strong guy. Allain is sound enough, very professional.
I was in the company of a current Irish international years ago before he was capped. There was a drinking game involved. He used his left hand when it should have been his right and he had to lick a mates testicle as a forfeit.
Was it Luke Fitzgerald?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 25 Oct 2013, 4:26 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
ME-109 wrote:Absolutely....Dundrum caters for all sorts of pretentious cr.p

Its just a shopping centre with shops. Think you need to branch out a little ME-109. I'm sure its no different to what you get in Limerick/Cork etc.
All we have down here are turnip shops....

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 28 Oct 2013, 3:20 pm

I saw Christophe Lamaison in the Queens Vaults in Cardiff ahead of Wales v Scotland in the Six Nations a couple of seasons ago. I didn't speak to him, but what a ledge.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2