The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why do Samoa not get the respect they deserve?

+28
Bathman_in_London
Cyril
MotelMoneyMurderMadness
DeludedOptimistorjustDave
blackcanelion
Wi11
quinsforever
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
profitius
rodders
fa0019
GunsGerms
RuggerRadge2611
Geordie
LordDowlais
rainbow-warrior
king_carlos
Biltong
doctor_grey
Hound of Harrow
lostinwales
GloriousEmpire
The Saint
Notch
butterfingers
SecretFly
aucklandlaurie
Exiledinborders
32 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Why do Samoa not get the respect they deserve? - Page 2 Empty Why do Samoa not get the respect they deserve?

Post by Exiledinborders Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:23 am

First topic message reminder :

Planet Rugby are currently running a poll as follows.

Best chance of an upset this Saturday?
ITALY against Australia
ARGENTINA against England
JAPAN against Scotland
WALES against South Africa
SAMOA against Ireland
FRANCE against New Zealand

As Samoa are ranked higher than Ireland surely an Irish win would be the upset. This is not an anti Ireland post I just get annoyed by the assumption that the old guard are the top teams when results do not bear this out.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Why do Samoa not get the respect they deserve? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why do Samoa not get the respect they deserve?

Post by Geordie Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:50 pm

+1 Bilts

Rugby is a physical game. Some of the top teams have those players that go over the level at times...sometimes thats what it takes to win / be the best.

Even Englands "deity Captain" Mr Johnson was very capable of going well over the line.

If Rugby loses that aspect of the game then for me its a poorer game.

Besides most players enjoy these types of games...its a phsical challenge..are they up to it?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Why do Samoa not get the respect they deserve? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why do Samoa not get the respect they deserve?

Post by fa0019 Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:52 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:+1 Bilts

Rugby is a physical game. Some of the top teams have those players that go over the level at times...sometimes thats what it takes to win / be the best.

Even Englands "deity Captain" Mr Johnson was very capable of going well over the line.

If Rugby loses that aspect of the game then for me its a poorer game.

Besides most players enjoy these types of games...its a phsical challenge..are they up to it?
There is a bit of a difference between someone like Jonno or Bakkies giving someone a few slaps and a player being clotheslined/ dumped on their neck.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:58 pm

I remember a game a few years back when Samoa were playing England at Twickers, I cannot remember who the players were, I think Lewis Moody was involved, but when an England player jumped up for the ball two Samoan players ran hit him in the air, it was clearly on purpose and whole hell broke out with fists flying and red and yellow cards dished out, I think the English player had a red for reacting the way he did and the Samoans both had yellows( I could be wrong) but I remember the old 606 boards going berserk with the argument that it is just what the Samoans bring to the game, I am sorry but I cannot abide with it.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:03 pm

LordDowlais wrote:I remember a game a few years back when Samoa were playing England at Twickers, I cannot remember who the players were, I think Lewis Moody was involved, but when an England player jumped up for the ball two Samoan players ran hit him in the air, it was clearly on purpose and whole hell broke out with fists flying and red and yellow cards dished out, I think the English player had a red for reacting the way he did and the Samoans both had yellows( I could be wrong) but I remember the old 606 boards going berserk with the argument that it is just what the Samoans bring to the game, I am sorry but I cannot abide with it.
same chap who clotheslined JDV earlier this year and earned himself a red card. It was Alesana Tuilagi.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:09 pm

FA,

And as i said before that needs to managed appriopriatel on the pitch. The refs need to make sure yellows and reds are awarded as they would be should SA or NZ or Wales or England etc do the same illegal moves.

If they want to become a tier one side...or be recognised as one they need to learn to control their physical ways. SA are the most physical side in the world...but they dont usually go beyond the line...only now again when necesary...but thats sometimes the difference between being top 2 and the rest.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:11 pm

Agree with the Op - Ireland are up against it vs a team deservedly above us in the rankings.

They feel shafted by the IRB over the Autumn fixtures too as non of the teams ranked above them would play them.

Ireland maybe feel this is an easy way to get some good ranking points - same with Italy. Samoa will be out to prove a point this autumn...
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:12 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Fly, you have completely miss read my post, I have not once used reference to a Wales v Samoa game, and I have also stated that I like to see a good bone shaking tackle, and if this is what the Polynesians bring to the game then I say let them and lets see more of it, what I do not like is when these players that more often than not use their shoulders to tackle and do go around the neck area with a swinging arm and it is just shrugged off because that is "their way", I love the physicality these guys bring to the game, and you just know what you are going to get when they play, and I have no problem with them using their physicality within the rules, but lets not get blinkered by the fact they are physical so we should except the dirty stuff attitude
. These are very gifted and very good rugby players, so lets play rugby not street fighting.
It was me doing the Wales V Samoa argument to elucidate my comments on the natural conflict between two styles (brands), Lord.  If you (not 'you' BTW, I mean 'you' rhetorically - any of us) but if you criticise someone else's brand then they can always retort that you only criticise it because it is keeping them competitive against your brand.  
That was my point; and given you are Welsh, I used a Welsh v Samoa example to clarify the point - it didn't work! Wink.

On the hard and fair verses the shoulder charging over-the-top stuff... I also already catered for that in my post.  Bad should get more quick reds (no arguments or excuses)... hard and fair, you have to deal with as best you can - that's their edge in a game and they'll use it.
Refs should contain the more dark-arts stuff when it appears - from any side.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:17 pm

rodders wrote:Agree with the Op - Ireland are up against it vs a team deservedly above us in the rankings.

They feel shafted by the IRB over the Autumn fixtures too as non of the teams ranked above them would play them.

Ireland maybe feel this is an easy way to get some good ranking points - same with Italy. Samoa will be out to prove a point this autumn...
So we're the bad boys again because we're the only side (of reasonable note) that would give them a game in Europe??? Laugh 

And we're the ones getting the knife in the back about polls and 'upsets'?

Christ, and the English think it's always them who suffer in the European popularity contests! Move over - we've arrived.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:23 pm

Well the IRB do pay their taxes in Dublin after all fly... I think they pay taxes anyways...
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:32 pm

So the answer to the Thread heading:

Why do Samoa not get the respect they deserve?

Because higher ranked sides refuse to risk losing ranking position by playing them.

606 is a blast these last few days.  High end comedy and cinematic surrealism in the one movie.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:04 am

Exiledinborders wrote:Planet Rugby are currently running a poll as follows.

Best chance of an upset this Saturday?
ITALY against Australia
ARGENTINA against England
JAPAN against Scotland
WALES against South Africa
SAMOA against Ireland
FRANCE against New Zealand

As Samoa are ranked higher than Ireland surely an Irish win would be the upset. This is not an anti Ireland post I just get annoyed by the assumption that the old guard are the top teams when results do not bear this out.

Thats generally accurate apart from Japan beating Scotland, which would be the biggest upset.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:30 am

Personally theres only one potential upset there and thats Japan beating Scotland.

All the rest i wouldnt be surprised results going either way.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:48 am

IRB ranking and ranking points:

1(1) NEW ZEALAND 93.05
2(2) SOUTH AFRICA 87.86
3(3) ENGLAND 86.31
4(4) AUSTRALIA 83.70
5(5) FRANCE 81.59
6(6) WALES 81.36
7(7) SAMOA 80.42
8(8) IRELAND 79.58
9(9) SCOTLAND 76.95
10(10) ARGENTINA 75.50
11(11) TONGA 74.77
12(12) ITALY 74.17
13(13) FIJI 73.56
14(14) CANADA 72.68
15(15) JAPAN 71.98

Samoa beating Ireland looks most likely from those?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:56 am

It's lucky we have at least 80 minutes to try to prove 'likely' wrong, then Wink

But we might be in for other 'likely' shocks too over the weekend, which is what keeps it all interesting in the first place.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:57 am

I just hope that the Samoans dont let their emotions get away on them this weekend, as they are going to be really charged up, they wont lack for spirit, with the news this morning of the passing of Peter Fatialofa (the piano mover).

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:59 am

Two minutes silence at Lansdowne road?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:01 am

GunsGerms wrote:
Exiledinborders wrote:
SecretFly wrote:Will you regard it an upset if Ireland win, Exiled?

If so, then there you go.  That's all you need - your opinion.  Do you really need a Planet Rugby poll to agree with you to make your opinion more meaningful to you?

I would not regard a result either way as an upset. Results indicate both teams are of a similar standard. That is not opinion it is statistics. I am querying the arrogance behind the idea that Samoa winning would be any sort of upset.
Its not arrogance when the match is in Dublin and history has shown that they usually get hammered there.

They are a decent team and could win for sure but if a majority believe that Ireland will win they will be favorites. Nothing to do with arrogance. Thats just the way odds work. Current form is just one factor.
Samoa have come a long way recently- I would cite the last time they were in Dublin as the only one of our past meetings that counts. A hard-fought, physical and unglamorous 20-10 win for a near full-strength Ireland.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:03 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:
Two minutes silence at Lansdowne road?
Hopefully some mark of respect before the game.

Reading back, I agree that Samoa beating us would be the least surprising upset although (from my point of view) the most upsetting!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:07 am

Notch I am sure the Irish will mark this passing and with respect.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:12 am

check this out for a good preview of how physical the samoa game is likely to be. great video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWRN7CdM0o8

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Wi11 Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:30 am

This also suggests that those saying Argentina / France would be the biggest upsets are right - both fighting more than double the gap from Japan to Scotland.

Italy and Wales have even better chances, and Samoa are closest of all but still slight underdogs by the rankings (which assume that home advantage is equivalent to 3 ranking points, iirc.)

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:IRB ranking and ranking points:

1(1) NEW ZEALAND 93.05
2(2) SOUTH AFRICA 87.86
3(3) ENGLAND 86.31
4(4) AUSTRALIA 83.70
5(5) FRANCE 81.59
6(6) WALES 81.36
7(7) SAMOA 80.42
8(8) IRELAND 79.58
9(9) SCOTLAND 76.95
10(10) ARGENTINA 75.50
11(11) TONGA 74.77
12(12) ITALY 74.17
13(13) FIJI 73.56
14(14) CANADA 72.68
15(15) JAPAN 71.98

Samoa beating Ireland looks most likely from those?

Wi11

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:22 am

quinsforever wrote:check this out for a good preview of how physical the samoa game is likely to be. great video.

I enjoyed that. If Ireland play like Leinster under Schmidt then they're leaving themselves wide open to be smashed. Then again going for the big hit can leave a player defensively exposed.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:33 am

Hopefully we have guys running off the shoulder of the ball carrier to exploit any of these so-called headhunters jumping out of the line.

And leave the squeezing testicles to Coppers.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:36 am

'15 blue grabbed that player in an indecent manner."

Laugh
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:51 am

quinsforever wrote:check this out for a good preview of how physical the samoa game is likely to be. great video.

I know a guy who was the medical officer for the SA team at the last world cup. He said the SA/Samoa game was really brutal close up.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:53 am

It was brutal from any distance.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by DeludedOptimistorjustDave Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:00 am

People who have a clue about rugby have massive respect for Samoa.

Back to top Go down

Post by MotelMoneyMurderMadness Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:23 am

DeludedOptimistorjustDave wrote:People who have a clue about rugby have massive respect for Samoa.
Got to agree.

I enjoy watching the Samoans play & relish their physicality, but I probably would say that sat in the comfort of my front room. I don't recall ever playing against a Samoan, thankfully, but played against a few Tongans & Fijians.

All the posters banging on about them being dirty are perhaps being a bit harsh. We all have players that are a little bit naughty so lets not be too quick to point the finger.

Wiki states the total population of Samoans is 550000, but Only 365000 live in states where Rugby is a popular game: 194000 in Samoa, 131000 in NZ & just under 40000 in Aus.  So I would say per head of population and considering lads of Samoan ancestry are in not only the NZ RU & RL teams but also the Australian RL & RU teams and now the England RU team, they should demand every ounce of respect.

Its just such a shame they can't find the resources to allow all Samoan qualified players to represent Samoa. Then they would be a real force to be reckoned with.

MotelMoneyMurderMadness

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:24 pm

Brutal. A rather blatant bit of bag-snatching thrown in for good measure.

I also can't help but chuckle whenever I hear Treviranus mentioned Wink 

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:31 pm

I think Ireland will be favourites at home in what will presumably be wet and cold conditions, their pack and set piece will be too much for Samoa.

But that aside an important point (I think) touched on briefly in this article is what do Samoa or anyone else have to do to be elevated into a position where they actually have a vote at IRB level?

I don't think the process should be too fluid, but it seems very wrong that Scotland (as an example) have 2 votes, Argentina have 1 and Samoa's vote is wrapped up in a joint Oceania one. How does that make sense? The 7th best team in the world effectively has an 8th of one vote?

I know the founding unions won't want to lose their hold on power but surely Samoa could at least be given a vote of their own?

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:40 pm

It is more than being ranked in the top 10, you have to be a top tier side, and for this you must have a rugby infrastructure. If Samoa had their own league in place with academies and a proper structure that produced a steady production line of rugby players then yes they could have an argument, as it is though, it is the New Zealand structure that is producing a steady line of players for Samoa.

Here's a thought, although I do not know what the distances and infrastructures are like in these Pacific nation islands, but why do they not do what the Celts and Italians are currently doing and create a league between them ? Surely between, Samoa, Fiji, Tonga, The Cook Islands and any others I may have left out can form some sort of Polynesian league or something, perhaps this is something the IRB need to look at.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:45 pm

What would New Zealand and their leagues do for players then?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:48 pm

GunsGerms wrote:What would New Zealand and their leagues do for players then?
I cannot wait for GE to respond to this one.Whistle 

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:02 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:What would New Zealand and their leagues do for players then?
I cannot wait for GE to respond to this one.Whistle 
Really? Didnt realise there was anyone left that actually cares what he thinks.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:29 pm

LordDowlais wrote:It is more than being ranked in the top 10, you have to be a top tier side, and for this you must have a rugby infrastructure. If Samoa had their own league in  place with academies and a proper structure that produced a steady production line of rugby players then yes they could have an argument, as it is though, it is the New Zealand structure that is producing a steady line of players for Samoa.

Here's a thought, although I do not know what the distances and infrastructures are like in these Pacific nation islands, but why do they not do what the Celts and Italians are currently doing and create a league between them ? Surely between, Samoa, Fiji, Tonga, The Cook Islands and any others I may have left out can form some sort of Polynesian league or something, perhaps this is something the IRB need to look at.
Money thats why. The Pacific Islands will always be the same. They will be always knocking on the door but will never reach their full potential.

Its really depressing watching their u20 teams as their players look to have way more natural ability than most of the nations but are really lacking the coaching.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:51 pm

Dont forget theres a large number of NZ born players with Samoan herritage playing for Samoa...its not all just one way guys.

But anyway i dont want to take away what they give to rugby.

Are they currently at their strongest...or do you think that 1991 World Cup team was their strongest ever? Some serious names in the world cup team!!

1 Vili Alalatoa
2 Stan To'omalatai
3 Peter Fatialofa
4 Mark Birtwistle
5 Mat Keenan
6 Apollo Perelini
7 Sila Vaifale
8 Pat Lam

9 Mathew Vaea
10 Stephen Bachop
11 Brian Lima
12 Frank Bunce
13 To'o Vaega
14 Timo Tagaloa
15 Andrew Aiolupo

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:14 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:It is more than being ranked in the top 10, you have to be a top tier side, and for this you must have a rugby infrastructure. If Samoa had their own league in  place with academies and a proper structure that produced a steady production line of rugby players then yes they could have an argument, as it is though, it is the New Zealand structure that is producing a steady line of players for Samoa.

Money thats why. The Pacific Islands will always be the same. They will be always knocking on the door but will never reach their full potential.

Its really depressing watching their u20 teams as their players look to have way more natural ability than most of the nations but are really lacking the coaching.

Not sure about that. The JWC results during the summer were

NZ 59 - 6 Fiji
Ireland 51 - 3 Fiji
Australia 46 - 12 Fiji

Wales 42 - 3 Samoa
Argentina 26 - 16 Samoa
Scotland 36 - 33 Samoa

The Samoans in NZ are also getting some of the best coaching in the world early on in their life. Compare that with Scottish youngsters and even in Ireland you'd really need to be going to one of a handful of schools to get quality coaching.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:20 pm

Irish schools game has had or produced some really good coaches:

Vincent Murray - Clongowes
Joe Schmidt - Wilson's hospital
Eddie O'Sullivan - Blackrock
Eric Millar - Wesley/Gerards
Declan Kidney - Pres Cork

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:41 pm

profitius wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:

NZ 59 - 6 Fiji
Ireland 51 - 3 Fiji
Australia 46 - 12 Fiji

Wales 42 - 3 Samoa
Argentina 26 - 16 Samoa
Scotland 36 - 33 Samoa

The Samoans in NZ are also getting some of the best coaching in the world early on in their life. Compare that with Scottish youngsters and even in Ireland you'd really need to be going to one of a handful of schools to get quality coaching.
Prof I'm not making this up myself this is what ex Fijian players such as Serevi Is saying. He said that a lot of Fijian players don't mature until their 30s! When he won the sevens world cup most of the players on the team were around the 30 mark.

All I remember from the Ireland Fiji JWC game was how it was a joy to watch Fiji with ball in hand. Their running and offloading skills were far greater than our lads but our guys were much better coached. They basically had no set piece.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:18 am

Bathman_in_London wrote:I think Ireland will be favourites at home in what will presumably be wet and cold conditions, their pack and set piece will be too much for Samoa.
Dunno, Census Johnston will be the best prop on the pitch if he's fit, he can do serious damage to whoever we start at loosehead. I understand he is an injury doubt and we'd be fairly relieved if he doesn't make it to be perfectly honest- his brother James will likely replace him and he isn't nearly as good.

One of the big reason Samoa have climbed up to 7 in the rankings and taken the scalps of the likes of Australia, Scotland and Wales is their vastly improved set piece- they have a very good lineout too. They are not the stereotypical Islander team that is all flair and big hits with no structure. They are a very organised, slick outfit in defence and attack and they have a good tight five.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:34 am

Notch wrote:
Bathman_in_London wrote:I think Ireland will be favourites at home in what will presumably be wet and cold conditions, their pack and set piece will be too much for Samoa.
Dunno, Census Johnston will be the best prop on the pitch if he's fit, he can do serious damage to whoever we start at loosehead. I understand he is an injury doubt and we'd be fairly relieved if he doesn't make it to be perfectly honest- his brother James will likely replace him and he isn't nearly as good.

One of the big reason Samoa have climbed up to 7 in the rankings and taken the scalps of the likes of Australia, Scotland and Wales is their vastly improved set piece- they have a very good lineout too. They are not the stereotypical Islander team that is all flair and big hits with no structure. They are a very organised, slick outfit in defence and attack and they have a good tight five.
agree. census johnston was fairly epic in the toulouse sarries match. couldnt believe how dominant toulouse were in the scrum with the new laws.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:11 am

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
profitius wrote:

NZ 59 - 6 Fiji
Ireland 51 - 3 Fiji
Australia 46 - 12 Fiji

Wales 42 - 3 Samoa
Argentina 26 - 16 Samoa
Scotland 36 - 33 Samoa

Prof I'm not making this up myself this is what ex Fijian players such as Serevi Is saying. He said that a lot of Fijian players don't mature until their 30s! When he won the sevens world cup most of the players on the team were around the 30 mark.

All I remember from the Ireland Fiji JWC game was how it was a joy to watch Fiji with ball in hand. Their running and offloading skills were far greater than our lads but our guys were much better coached. They basically had no set piece.
Sorry LF4L but Ireland were miles better with ball in hand! OK  Ireland do have a quality coaching team but the passes were crisp and precise and not many handling errors while Fiji made a good few. here are some of the highlights. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZVCPaSNI38

Technically Ireland were better than Australia too so it bodes well for the future.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:48 am

Notch wrote:Why do Samoa not get the respect they deserve? - Page 2 Clown-smileyghost 

Personally am not too bothered by the physicality the Samoans bring. If the ref does his job, it works in our advantage if he doesn't we just need to roll with the punches (sometimes literally) and I think that element in the game will stand us in good stead for two very tough games against Aus and NZ. It'll only toughen us up.
It's all about attitude.

A physical Samoan game toughens up the team for the daunting fixtures to come

or

A physical Samoan game softens up the team for the daunting fixtures to come

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:00 am

profitius wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:
profitius wrote:

NZ 59 - 6 Fiji
Ireland 51 - 3 Fiji
Australia 46 - 12 Fiji

Wales 42 - 3 Samoa
Argentina 26 - 16 Samoa
Scotland 36 - 33 Samoa

Sorry LF4L but Ireland were miles better with ball in hand! OK  Ireland do have a quality coaching team but the passes were crisp and precise and not many handling errors while Fiji made a good few. here are some of the highlights. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZVCPaSNI38

Technically Ireland were better than Australia too so it bodes well for the future.
If thats what you think then fine. That video reminded me how good Dave Shanahan was at scrum half. Very good bit of business there by Ulster to get him into their academy. Also where is Rory Scholes? one of our best players and I haven't seen him feature at all,even for the Ulster Ravens.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:32 am

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
profitius wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:
profitius wrote:

NZ 59 - 6 Fiji
Ireland 51 - 3 Fiji
Australia 46 - 12 Fiji

Wales 42 - 3 Samoa
Argentina 26 - 16 Samoa
Scotland 36 - 33 Samoa

If thats what you think then fine. That video reminded me how good Dave Shanahan was at scrum half. Very good bit of business there by Ulster to get him into their academy. Also where is Rory Scholes? one of our best players and I haven't seen him feature at all,even for the Ulster Ravens.

Indeed Shanahan looked very good. Small but so is Peter Stringer. Scholes is unfortunate that Ulster have a load of quality backs to choose from. I'd expect to see Scholes play more for Ulster next season or the year after.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:25 am

Notch wrote:Why do Samoa not get the respect they deserve? - Page 2 Clown-smileyghost 

Personally am not too bothered by the physicality the Samoans bring. If the ref does his job, it works in our advantage if he doesn't we just need to roll with the punches (sometimes literally) and I think that element in the game will stand us in good stead for two very tough games against Aus and NZ. It'll only toughen us up.
Yup.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by DeludedOptimistorjustDave Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:53 am

I remember they started to take the penalty kicks seriously not always tap and go in 07 world cup, also got some good goal kickers in the squad.

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:42 am

Former Samoa centre Eliota Fuimaono-Sapolu has slammed the International Rugby Board over the calibre of opponents for their final two autumn international matches.

Samoa, who are ranked seventh in the world, face eighth-placed Ireland in Dublin on Saturday, but they face less challenging outings against the French Barbarians on 16 November and Georgia seven days later.

"The fundamental principle of the game is to include everyone; rugby is for all shapes, sizes and skill-sets," said Fuimaono-Sapolu.

"Currently, rugby is the opposite, exclusive.

"One day it will change, and that generation in the future will look back at today's elite group with disgust and disbelief and ask 'how did we let such narrow-minded selfish people run the sport'.

"People in Samoa are angry with the scheduling for this tour.

"Samoa are not playing against anyone ranked more highly, so how can we move up the rankings?"

Former Bath and Gloucester centre Fuimaono-Sapolu also believes that without chances in Europe for Samoa's stars, their national side would fall by the wayside.

Wallaby and Kiwi Super 15 franchises have long convinced Pacific Islanders who are eligible to declare for Australia and New Zealand above their country of origin.

Fuimaono-Sapolu has called on Super 15 clubs not to overlook South Sea islanders for contracts simply for not pledging allegiance to Australia or New Zealand.

"Thank God Europe have a broader taste for all styles of rugby and there are many Pacific Islands players, as well as players from many other tier-two nations, playing there," said the 33-year-old, now playing in Japan for Coca Cola West Red Sparks.

"Without that, without Europe, Manu Samoa and the likes would struggle to exist.

"If we operated rugby the way New Zealand and Australia do, the game would never grow."

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:45 am

He is spot on - why do so many other countries run scared of them?

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:45 am

I think he is right for slamming the IRB. A game against the French Barbarians is a total insult to Samoa. It seems the IRB are afraid of Samoa moving too far up the rankings and upsetting the satus quo.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next