The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are The WTF'S Being Devalued ?

+5
naxroy
Silver
laverfan
JuliusHMarx
Calder106
9 posters

Go down

Are The WTF'S Being Devalued ? Empty Are The WTF'S Being Devalued ?

Post by Calder106 Fri 8 Nov - 0:26

Just a thought. The players compete all year to qualify for the World Tour Finals as it is seen as an important showcase for tennis. However given the calendar changes I feel that they are now being diminshed by the fact that they follow so closely after the Paris Masters. Take a look at David Ferrer's schedule since last Thursday. Simon Thursday, Berdych Friday, Nadal Saturday, Djokovic Sunday, Monday off. Nadal Tuesday, Berdych Wednesday. It's no wonder his two matches at the  WTF have been lacklustre. Yes we have seen a number of good matches but surely having put the effort in to qualify for the event the players should be given the opportunity to be at their best when they get there.

Last edited by Calder106 on Fri 8 Nov - 1:37; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Taking caps off title)

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Are The WTF'S Being Devalued ? Empty Re: Are The WTF'S Being Devalued ?

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 8 Nov - 0:31

I read that after this year they will return to a week's gap in between Paris and WTF. At the moment it's another example of the daft scheduling the ATP indulges in from time to time.

btw CAPS LOCK ON? Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 8 Nov - 0:31

This is what the players council and ATP agreed to, in order to have a longer break at YE. There is no willingness to reduce the number of events, due to financial/legal issues. 2012 was far worse, because of Olympics.

Some of the onus is also on players, on how they manage their Calendars.

Just checked the 2014 calendar, week 44 - Paris, week 46 WTF.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Fri 8 Nov - 0:53

laverfan wrote:Some of the onus is also on players, on how they manage their Calendars.
This is true. Ferrer has played 83 matches this year, I think - more than anyone else on tour, including Rafa and Novak who've been to finals galore in 2013.

Still, it is a tad harsh since he was defending champ at Paris, and would've wanted to go deep to try and retain his points from last year.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Fri 8 Nov - 1:38

JuliusHMarx wrote:I read that after this year they will return to a week's gap in between Paris and WTF. At the moment it's another example of the daft scheduling the ATP indulges in from time to time.

btw CAPS LOCK ON? Smile
Fixed thanks.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Fri 8 Nov - 1:46

laverfan wrote:This is what the players council and ATP agreed to, in order to have a longer break at YE. There is no willingness to reduce the number of events, due to financial/legal issues. 2012 was far worse, because of Olympics.

Some of the onus is also on players, on how they manage their Calendars.

Just checked the 2014 calendar, week 44 - Paris, week 46 WTF.
It's good that they are changing it back. Much better. As for players managing their schedule the Paris Masters is a compulsory event so the only way they can manage their schedule is to make sure they get knocked out early.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Fri 8 Nov - 2:06

devalued?

if nadal wins it, it is devalued, it will be blue clay and wtf were important untill now, but not anymore

if anyother wins it, it is because it is the real important tournament of the year and not slams where you can get easy draws

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 8 Nov - 2:10

I thought it was the other way round. WTF isn't worth much because Rafa's never won it (or maybe it's because Fed has won it so much, I can never remember the argument), it's just a glorified exhibition tournament? Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 8 Nov - 2:21

Whatever it is it never has the same atmosphere as a slam or somehow the same importance It feels like a big masters event rather than a historical career completing one The multiple locations doesn't help nor does the paltry 3 set format.

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri 8 Nov - 2:53

But the reality is that by definition it's necessarily very different from a Slam, and will always be so.

Just 8 players versus 128 (and hence none of the drama of a potential R1 exit of a top seed at the hands of a rookie qualifier)

Do take your point falzy re the 3 set format, but not so sure about the changing venue being a negative factor. Football World Cups move around but it doesn't take anything away.

For me this is a very special event, the cream of the sport's participants - and all there on pure merit.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 8 Nov - 3:29

I guess soo but I've never felt I've seen the best of the cream at this event they value this tourney but its late place in the calendar means they seem to have spent most of their points at the slams. Today's match fit example fed was decent enough but that's nowhere near how he or Richard can llay

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 8 Nov - 5:29

Also I feel like the final not being 5 sets has simply diminished this event. I get why the other master's made this change as the schedule is brutally long, but this is the last event of the year and a signature event, no worries about the next tournament or the next slam with 2 months off. More than the place in the schedule the lack of 5 set final has diminished the event in my mind.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 8 Nov - 5:49

socal1976 wrote:Also I feel like the final not being 5 sets has simply diminished this event. I get why the other master's made this change as the schedule is brutally long, but this is the last event of the year and a signature event, no worries about the next tournament or the next slam with 2 months off. More than the place in the schedule the lack of 5 set final has diminished the event in my mind.
Oh FFS, I nearly posted something very similar to that a few hours ago. I'm off to make an appointment with a psychiatrist. Clearly I'm in need of professional help.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 8 Nov - 7:57

Socal, it's too much to play a 5-set final because:

--It comes at the end of the year, when players are tired.
--Back to back matches against other top players are too energy draining. Yes, they play 4 consecutive days regularly on the main tour, but there will be some easy matches in there.

Now if they have a rest day - why not?

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 8 Nov - 8:03

Why does it have to be a full week in between or nothing at all? Half a week makes more sense.

How about

Group A first round of matches Thursday 8pm, Friday 8pm
Group B first round of matches Saturday 2pm, Saturday 8pm
Group A second round of matches Sunday 2pm, Sunday 8pm
Group B second round of matches Monday 2pm, Monday 8pm
Group A third round of matches Tuesday 2pm, Tuesday 8pm
Group B third round of matches Wednesday 8pm, Thursday 8pm
Semi Finals Friday 2pm, Friday 8pm
Exhibition day - old timers - Saturday 2pm, Saturday 8pm
5-Set Final Sunday 2pm

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Cav Fri 8 Nov - 8:09

Speaking about David Ferrer specifically, he chose to play Valencia, Paris and WTF back-to-back with no break. His choice, so it's no surprise that he has been lacklustre here. I do think it will be much more of a benefit to the players to have a week off between Paris and the WTF next year, and for the quality of matches, that has to be a good thing.

Basically I do see this tournament as a glorified exhibition event to be honest, but I still enjoy it.

Cav

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 8 Nov - 17:46

Henman Bill wrote:Socal, it's too much to play a 5-set final because:

--It comes at the end of the year, when players are tired.
--Back to back matches against other top players are too energy draining. Yes, they play 4 consecutive days regularly on the main tour, but there will be some easy matches in there.

Now if they have a rest day - why not?
You answered your own question, one day between the semi and then play a five setter, to me you simply can not replicate the tension, drama, and excitement of a five set match over 3 sets. Hell give them two days if you must but just play the final in five sets.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down