The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vince Lombardi- Philosopher and one of the greatest sportsmen of all time (thanks Port)

3 posters

Go down

Vince Lombardi- Philosopher and one of the greatest sportsmen of all time (thanks Port) Empty Vince Lombardi- Philosopher and one of the greatest sportsmen of all time (thanks Port)

Post by doctor_grey Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:40 pm

I recently quoted Vince Lombardi in a thread.  Was a successful American Football coach in the 1960s before all the big money came in.  Yet his statements are timeless.  Many of his former athletes became successful in business after football, and most attribute their success to Lombardi.  

Portnoy had to look him up, which made me think I should post a few better known quotes.  Just read them and let me know your thoughts.  I have some of his quotes in my medical offices and another at home. My personal respect for him is as great as for any person whom I never met but read.  So I am letting you in on a small piece of something personal to me.  I really encourage everyone to take a look.  You won't be disappointed - or your money back.  Guaranteed.

One quote came as close to saving my life as I can imagine.  Made me move on when I was well and truly messed in E. Africa in the early 1990s.  
Quotes about sport, but really apply to life.  

Sorry, because concepts like these are not for everyone.    

Grey

LIfe
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle -

The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.

The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand.

It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up.

Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time.

People who work together will win, whether it be against complex football defenses, or the problems of modern society

Sport (and Life too)
Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is everything.
Winners never quit and quitters never win.
Leaders aren't born they are made. And they are made just like anything else, through hard work. And that's the price we'll have to pay to achieve that goal, or any goal.
The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.

Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Vince Lombardi- Philosopher and one of the greatest sportsmen of all time (thanks Port) Empty Re: Vince Lombardi- Philosopher and one of the greatest sportsmen of all time (thanks Port)

Post by GunsGerms Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:23 pm

Im an admirer too. Its no wonder they named the NFL trophy after him (I think). Green bay is one of the NFL franchises that have never had to move and to think that its located in a fairly obscure place compared to most other teams tells me that he left a fairly impressive legacy after him.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Vince Lombardi- Philosopher and one of the greatest sportsmen of all time (thanks Port) Empty Re: Vince Lombardi- Philosopher and one of the greatest sportsmen of all time (thanks Port)

Post by jimbopip Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:31 am

Wasn't it Vince Lombardi of whom an ex-player once said, "When he said 'Sit' you didn't even look for a chair."?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down