The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland v New Zealand

+105
DeludedOptimistorjustDave
Icu
Sin é
funnyExiledScot
jimbopip
glamorganalun
Jhamer25
mckay1402
kingjohn7
No 7&1/2
ChequeredJersey
whocares
Scratch
Blueschief
mr-bryns-attitude
mbernz
Duty281
Norfolklass
Knowsit17
VinceWLB
ospreysboyo
Steffan
bedfordwelsh
Bullsbok
Sgt_Pooly
flyhalffactory
justified sinner
doctornickolas
Rugby Fan
IanBru
LuvSports!
Ozzy3213
trebellbobaggins
Manky-Flanker
HammerofThunor
mystiroakey
BamBam
TJ
Hood83
ALPanorak
Hookisms and Hyperbole
GLove39
tigertattie
yappysnap
jimmyinthewell68
Cari
RDSguru
theslosty
quinsforever
maestegmafia
wolfball
Big Mac Michael
gleesonisgod
The Saint
kunu
BlueMuff
pete (buachaill on eirne)
clivemcl
MrsP
Biltong
Usagi
Rory_Gallagher
marty2086
geoff999rugby
theshanker
profitius
PredictorofTeams
Ledge the ledgebag
Portnoy's Complaint
Geordie
Mickado
Jenifer McLadyboy
JmD
Standulstermen
nganboy
majesticimperialman
aucklandlaurie
Golden
andyi
captain carrantuohil
Engine#4
RugbyFan182
Gibson
Brendan
littlejohn
Submachine
san
SecretFly
The Great Aukster
Pete330v2
George Carlin
blackcanelion
disneychilly
LeinsterFan4life
Feckless Rogue
Taylorman
Nachos Jones
asoreleftshoulder
LordDowlais
geoff998rugby
GunsGerms
kiakahaaotearoa
Notch
rodders
ME-109
109 posters

Page 1 of 21 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next

Go down

Ireland v New Zealand Empty Ireland v New Zealand

Post by ME-109 Mon 18 Nov 2013, 11:23 am

Right what's done is done regarding Aus. Time to move on and look forward to the ABs. This could be one to watch from behind the couch.

I don't expect any major changes in the team. Murray for Redden being the only obvious change, possibly at tighthead, possibly in the second row. Sexton is doubtful, maybe Earls is available.

My only expectation for this game is for an improved performance as the required level of aggressiveness was just non existent last Saturday. Otherwise we are looking at some hammering.

Without stating the obvious...I would like to see our players try to copy the All Blacks in certain aspects of the game. Namely
1. Passing the ball to another Irish player who is moving forwards and preferably in space
2. When running with the ball try to avoid the opposition players as much as possible instead of seeking out contact.
that is all.

Suas an bothair agus ar aghaidh an tarbh.

Updated with Teams
All Blacks
15 Dagg,14 jane, 13 B Smith, 12 Nonu, 11 Savea, 10 Cruden, 9 A Smith
8 Read, 7 McCaw, 6 Luatua, 5 Whitelock, , 4 Romano, 3 Faumoina, 2 Hore , 1 Crockett

Ireland
R Kearney; T Bowe, B O’Driscoll, G D’Arcy, D Kearney; J Sexton, C Murray; C Healy, R Best, M Ross, D Toner, P O’Connell, P O’Mahony, S O’Brien, J Heaslip.
Replacements: S Cronin, J McGrath, D Fitzpatrick, M McCarthy, K McLaughlin, I Boss, I Madigan, L Fitzgerald.

Last edited by ME-109 on Fri 22 Nov 2013, 1:39 pm; edited 2 times in total

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Ireland v New Zealand Empty Re: Ireland v New Zealand

Post by rodders Mon 18 Nov 2013, 11:29 am

Yeah agree with the above. I see Murray and D'arcy coming in, maybe Madigan for Sexton. Henshaw will likely drop out for Kearney/Earls and Fitzpatrick to
come in on the bench.

Toner to the bench maybe too.

Schmidt is sticking to a plan I think - he's had the teams pencilled in before the autumn and is will only make minor deviations I believe....

A massive improvement is needed just to keep a respectable score line, regardless of who we pick.

I'm going to be positive and say we'll get it...I can't believe we will be that poor again...
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Mon 18 Nov 2013, 12:35 pm

Carter and Woodcock out for New Zealand. According to Thornley Sexton is out.

Would like to see Madigan and Marshall start for Ireland (nothing against Jackson) but I believe Madigan/Marshall are our best attacking threat.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 18 Nov 2013, 12:41 pm

On the other hand, Jackson and Marshall are a settled combination, they know each others games very well- it's a bit of a 50/50 call. I wasn't overly impressed with Madigan against Australia but realistically he could have thrived in the Samoa game. I'm not really too stressed about which 10 we used but strongly feel that we should stick with Luke Marshall.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Mon 18 Nov 2013, 12:47 pm

Notch wrote:On the other hand, Jackson and Marshall are a settled combination, they know each others games very well- it's a bit of a 50/50 call. I wasn't overly impressed with Madigan against Australia but realistically he could have thrived in the Samoa game. I'm not really too stressed about which 10 we used but strongly feel that we should stick with Luke Marshall.
I tend to agree with regards to Marshall...time to make one change of the old guard at least.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 18 Nov 2013, 1:22 pm

I'd like to see Luatua come in for Messam to give us options at the line out. Can't figure out why Hore is not playing but the Franks brothers starting with Crockett on the bench. Cane to come onto the bench with Barrett and Cruden to start.

I agree Australia has done us no favours. Wouldn't surprise me a second test performance like June last year. Kicking from both sides needs to improve a lot. Hoping for good weather as NZ's chances improve with clement conditions.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 18 Nov 2013, 2:37 pm

ME-109 wrote:Carter and Woodcock out for New Zealand. According to Thornley Sexton is out.

Hopefully. He was garbage v Australia.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Mon 18 Nov 2013, 2:42 pm

Trouble is Madigan was worse

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 18 Nov 2013, 2:45 pm

geoff998rugby wrote:Trouble is Madigan was worse
Not sure I agree. Either way I would prefer Jackson or Madigan but I think its Jackson's gig to lose now.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 18 Nov 2013, 2:47 pm

Madigan was definitely worse than Sexton- definitely. Sexton was at least kicking into space behind not down the throats of the back three.

What's happened here is your Leinster goggles have fallen off for your former player and not for your current one Wink 
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 18 Nov 2013, 2:53 pm

I think Ireland will be out to prove a point on this one, and surely they cannot be as woefull again, first things first, drop the drift defence and go for an all out blitz one, how many times were Ireland done on the inside shoulder on Saturday due to the drift is beyond me, and trust me the All Blacks will be better than Aus at exploiting this, also show some more backbone, when tackling, tackle hard, I think this one will be a lot more closer than the Australia game, the Ireland squad owe it to their supporters.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Mon 18 Nov 2013, 2:56 pm

Sexton was miles better than Madigan,there was a reason the Aussies conceded 5 kickable penalties and a yellow card in the 1st half.It's cos Sexton was moving them around the pitch,varying the point of attack and keeping the defense honest by chipping over the top when they rushed up too quick,he missed a bad kick to touch and a kickable penalty but his general play was levels above what Madigan produced.

Our use of the ball in the 2nd 20 minutes was the only positive of the game for me and most of that was initiated by Sexton who had as many touches in 40 minutes as Cooper did in 70.Poor defense,set piece and bad kicks from our 9 and back 3 were the losing of that game imo,once Sexton settled down he began to show just what he's capable of at this level.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Mon 18 Nov 2013, 2:57 pm

Hearing McFadden is out with a busted hand.

So D. Kearney start.

Joe please pick Henshaw or Fitz not Trimble to cover the bench - we are running out of backs at Ulster.

Come think of it wil lthe last fully fit winger in Ireland turn out the lights (I remain to be convinced Bowe is fully fit either)

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Mon 18 Nov 2013, 3:05 pm

Personally I would prefer Jackson to start over Madigan and bring Madigan on later as the teams tire (if the AB's are forced to work hard enough to tire them).

No way would I like to see D'Arcy ahead of Marshall. I was certain that Earls was out for the AI's but even if fit, not a game for him to start so that leaves BOD.

Whats going on with Cave?

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Mon 18 Nov 2013, 5:11 pm

Nachos Jones wrote:Personally I would prefer Jackson to start over Madigan and bring Madigan on later as the teams tire (if the AB's are forced to work hard enough to tire them).

No way would I like to see D'Arcy ahead of Marshall. I was certain that Earls was out for the AI's but even if fit, not a game for him to start so that leaves BOD.

Whats going on with Cave?
Cave isn't in the squad.

Apparently Sexton is going to have to train twice this week to be considered for selection. At least he isn't out of the running yet..if he is fit I would hope that Schmidt sticks with Marshall.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Mon 18 Nov 2013, 5:15 pm

I know Cave isn't in the squad but I wonder why he is not being given the opportunity. I quite like him and think that he could slot into the Ireland squad comfortably and do a decent job.

Even if Sexton is fit, I would still start with Jackson and have Madigan off the bench. Just think that Sexton has played too many games and that has taken its toll and at International level he may get injured very quickly again. Just not worth the risk in my opinion.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 18 Nov 2013, 5:46 pm

With sexton out can't see a lot coming from Ireland even though they're the perfect speed bump for the ABs...capable of the odd upset. ABs have had every scenario thrown at them this year so will want to finish in style.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Mon 18 Nov 2013, 5:50 pm

Wait a minute, since Schmidt is still new to the post, this is still DK's team really and they do perform once every 8 games or so... Maybe they may just turn up next weekend and only get beaten by 30 Wink

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 18 Nov 2013, 6:27 pm

You know what I'd like to see? If New Zealand go into a double digits lead, we use the game to work on our attacking structures and turn down kicks at goal.

Get plenty of practice attacking off lineouts and scrums.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Mon 18 Nov 2013, 6:38 pm

Ireland by 1.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Mon 18 Nov 2013, 6:40 pm

I hope we can stay in the game just even until the 30th minute, so I'm not sitting there depressed in the stadium for too long.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 18 Nov 2013, 6:52 pm

Good on you for going. Have a Kiwi friend from Dubai going over for the match. Should be a great game. I'm really hoping for a win as I think this team deserves to be the first team to seal a perfect season but it ain't win yet and it's going to require an equally big effort.

Will be watching it with some Irish mates here at Bo Fin and poker afterwards and who knows beyond so Sunday is a write off. Won't know what to do with myself after the close of our test season. Snow here on the mountains so skiing or boarding no doubt.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Mon 18 Nov 2013, 8:15 pm

Will be good times. For those who are going which pubs will you hit? I'm taking my cousin for his birthday so might take him to Searsons on the way there and wing it on the way back.

Really hope we get the win. I can see this as a banana skin definitely with BOD's last game vs NZ and the ABs thinking of the accolades rather than the task. Hope they stay focused.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 18 Nov 2013, 8:20 pm

Would have to be some banana disney surely...? I've reserved my spot at Molly's in Courtney just in case!

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Tue 19 Nov 2013, 12:06 am

I think there's a real opportunity for Ireland to go for a first win. Here's my reasoning.

1. It's the last game for NZ this year. Historically we are most likely to struggle in this game on a northern tour. One eye on the break and all that.
2. Henson will be tempted to blood players. He has to really. he has to keep the team moving forward. I think You'll see a few changes up front (probably Coles and one of the props), Maybe Bird, Luatua and Cane on the field at some time. Perenara should at least make the bench. I wouldn't be surprised if Dagg was rested with Either B Smith or Piatau dropping to fullback.
3. Owens is the ref. I think this gives the Irish a good opportunity to control the pace of the game. As per the last two games they can flood the contact area and slow the pace of the game. I expect that the defence will be able to stand very flat. They should also get much the better of the penalty count.
4. the AB's are coming off two hard games that they won. Ireland's coming off a defeat. The AB's have to lift themselves, there will be no such problem for the Irish.
5. I think we're still weak at center both on attack and defence. B Smith is learning his craft if BOD can get good ball he could be the man to exploit.

Last edited by blackcanelion on Tue 19 Nov 2013, 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 19 Nov 2013, 4:14 am

ABs still having put in an 80 minute yet...not even close, so that's a motivator. Just can't keep thinking about the Irish defence which was dour vs Aus. I'd have thought that was the one area Schmidt would tackled first.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 19 Nov 2013, 8:00 am

I was incredibly disappointed with the Irish lads against Australia. I've seen more energy in an octagenerian slumber party. Pardon my french but WTF has happened to Ireland recently? There's no way that your loose forwards should have been pushed around by Mowen, Fardy and Hooper to quite that extent.

The 10 question is interesting - Sexton has been getting a pasting in France and so really needed a break anyway. I would also stick with Jackson because Marshall is certainly the future at 12 (Madigan should not be considered there - it's a waste). However, I would wager Mad's goalkicking percentages are much higher than Jackson's - Madigan was Rabo's top points scorer last year, Paddy not being remotely close to him.

I really think that letting some youngsters have a run out and getting a couple of decent scores against this All Black side will be a good afternoon's work. Will be cheering for ye.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 19 Nov 2013, 9:16 am

I'm trying to work out how I see us winning this one.......

Sorry still trying.......

OK will be back later..... Run
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Tue 19 Nov 2013, 12:13 pm

I'll save you the bother Rodders, we can't, we don't have the resources and we're taking a knife to a gunfight with us being lambs to the slaughter. Irish eyes will definately NOT be smiling and the only laughter will within the afore mentioned Slaughter. Did I mention that it will be a slaughter?

I am hoping for a much better performance though Smile

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 19 Nov 2013, 2:00 pm

I make Ireland favourites.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Tue 19 Nov 2013, 2:03 pm

What price will you give me on NZ so?

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Tue 19 Nov 2013, 2:03 pm

Better Ireland teams than this have never beaten worse New Zealand sides, in the history of the game.
BOD and POC are the talismen, but their powers are waning AND they're match rusty.
Sexton is the only 10 with any real experience but he won't be fit.
Let's face it even if the All Blacks go on the lash from now to kick-off, they'll win with time to spare...

... in the first half.

This is the one game that Schmidt should sacrifice every ageing player from the Kidney era for one last blast. Let's have DOC back to partner POC in the bolier-room. Darce is a definite beside BOD, and if Joe talks nicely to him maybe even ROG would be up for one last cap...

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 19 Nov 2013, 2:22 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:What price will you give me on NZ so?
I just think you guys enjoy the underdog tag too much. You ostensibly suffer but really I think you love it. You don't like that favourites tag one bit. It's time to make you and your players work for their money. They're overwhelming favourites this Saturday then. C'mon Ireland!

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 19 Nov 2013, 2:28 pm

Even an underdog eventually has to be put down for his own good......
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 19 Nov 2013, 2:29 pm

Laugh 

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 19 Nov 2013, 3:00 pm

I was going to ask what bloody masochist put this thread up so early in the week!

And then of course I saw that it was a sadist instead.................................

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue 19 Nov 2013, 3:16 pm

SecretFly wrote:I was going to ask what bloody masochist put this thread up so early in the week!

And then of course I saw that it was a sadist instead.................................
Time to move on Fly...we are going to win this weekend...no worries.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 19 Nov 2013, 3:33 pm

Right now I'm trying to work out how I'm going to manage to see the game whilst at the same time not watching it.

That's more important to me now than the result - how to protect myself from seeing it whilst watching it.

Any hints will be welcome.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 19 Nov 2013, 3:36 pm

By the way...I think we should try a 4-4-2 system this time...

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue 19 Nov 2013, 3:41 pm

SecretFly wrote:Right now I'm trying to work out how I'm going to manage to see the game whilst at the same time not watching it.

That's more important to me now than the result - how to protect myself from seeing it whilst watching it.

Well considering you appear to be either completely stoned most of the time or at least on some level of Prozac I would just up the dose and have a stiff whiskey (with an e) before hand.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by san Tue 19 Nov 2013, 3:43 pm

I watched the eclipse a few years ago through 5 pairs of sunglasses. My eyes were fine and I'm not entirely sure what I saw.

Try it!

I would suggest the norovirius as a path to victory, but the aussies were all half-cut and they still hammered us!

san

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Tue 19 Nov 2013, 3:51 pm

SecretFly wrote:I was going to ask what bloody masochist put this thread up so early in the week!

Laugh 

I liked that a lot Fly.

Lets try and find some optimism here people.
Dig deep and find some in our hearts.
Isn't the night always darkest before the dawn?

Naaaaa it's not working

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue 19 Nov 2013, 3:51 pm

Latest update is McFadden defo ruled out, Sexton not as bad as originally thought, Kearney doubtful and BOD looks ok.

Darren Cave and F Jones have been drafted in as cover.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 19 Nov 2013, 3:58 pm

What's up with Earls, did he do a runner?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Tue 19 Nov 2013, 4:05 pm

Nobody ever says the the day is always brightest before the sunset. Cos it's not. Same with the darkness factor before the dawn.
We are in the midst of the phenomenon known as twilight. We will of course come through it but whether it's night or day on the other side is as yet uncertain.

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 19 Nov 2013, 4:09 pm

rodders wrote:What's up with Earls, did he do a runner?
There's always a first time.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 19 Nov 2013, 4:13 pm

McFadden, the only player who looked like an International on Saturday, takes a sickie rather than face the All Blacks on his own?

The coward!

Can't blame him though, there's only so much shuttlecock showboating you can do before being consumed by the black stuff.  

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 19 Nov 2013, 4:40 pm

SecretFly wrote:
I thought it was passing he didn't do?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 19 Nov 2013, 4:43 pm

rodders wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
I thought it was passing he didn't do?
Doing both at once was his homework. Schmidt said he'll take a look at it over the Christmas.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by littlejohn Tue 19 Nov 2013, 4:44 pm

SecretFly wrote:McFadden, the only player who looked like an International on Saturday, takes a sickie rather than face the All Blacks on his own?

The coward!

Can't blame him though, there's only so much shuttlecock showboating you can do before being consumed by the black stuff.  
2 things will motivate ireland on saturday.

1. fear of getting absolutely hammered at home
2. trying to get the win for bod, his last chance to get the elusive win

I've said it before and ireland always play better as underdogs. Dont think we'll win but hopefully can keep it to 10 points or less.

littlejohn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 21 1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 21  Next