The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Irish teams in HC rounds 3 and 4 - post the NZ game

+5
Jenifer McLadyboy
geoff998rugby
thebandwagonsociety
Toast
brennomac
9 posters

Go down

Irish teams in HC rounds 3 and 4 - post the NZ game Empty Irish teams in HC rounds 3 and 4 - post the NZ game

Post by brennomac Tue 26 Nov 2013, 10:59 pm

As a Leinster fan I have to say I hadn't looking forward to the double-header against Northampton in a couple of weeks. The team hasn't performed as well as it should with the players at MOC's disposal and too many of the "stars" - R Kearney, Heaslip in particular - have looked semi-detached and totally out of sorts. Nobody from Leinster (or indeed anywhere else) played particularly well in the Samoa and Australia games - but then came last Sunday when R Kearney, Heaslip, Healy, SOB played like men possessed, Cronin, Ross, Toner, Darcy, McLaughlin, D Kearney all played good to very good. Luke Fitz back is a bonus. But there are still downsides - BOD ageing, slower and out of sorts, our SH's are still poor to sh1te, Madigan still not hitting the form of last year.

But, if - and sure's it's a big if - the Leinster contingent on the Irish team - play with the intensity, passion and controlled fury they did for most of the NZ game, then my hopes for the Northampton double-header have increased hugely. Before I had pencilled Leinster and Northampton getting 5 points each from the two games (both getting LBP's away and no TBP's) but again if last Sunday's performances can be repeated then we can aim for an away win and that would be huge in terms of qualification - 16 points after 4 games and a home game against an Ospreys team out of the group and an away match against a hopefully by then disinterested Castres and we would be aiming for a home QF.

First game away in Northampton is going to be a monster - Saints playing well, their England players on good form (though hopefully George North is tired after playing for Wales next Sat) - against our lads hopefully repeating the way they played v NZ last Sunday. Can't wait.

Munster had fewer players involved last Sunday - but the ones who were play in key positions - POC and Murray - and both played very well although POM wasn't quite the force of nature he can be. Munster didn't do themselves any favours losing to Edinburgh in round 1 but I'd still bet on them to do a double over Perpignan. And they might be helped hopefully by Exeter and Gloucester doing each other no favours by beating each other over the double-header. Munster still favourities (just - after the Edinburgh defeat) - whether they notch up enough points for a home QF is another matter.

Ulster are in the best position right now, 8 points in the bag and a double-header against Treviso. Treviso not easy to beat in Italy but - even minus Rory Best - I'd still expect Ulster to get 9 points from these 2 games and be in prime position for a home QF. And again, hopefully Leicester and Montpellier will do Ulster some nice favours and beat each other over their double-header. One big bonus for Ulster from the NZ game was the way Deccie Fitzpatrick played.

Sadly Connacht look in a shambolic state, and I haven't seen enough of their games to know why they are playing so badly. Can't see anything other than Toulouse taking 9 points off them over the next two games bar a traditional Galway monsoon for the return leg. Pity to see rising stars like Henshaw, Marmion, McSharry and Griffin in this sort of situation

Hopefully, I'm not reading too much into the NZ game in terms of the Irish teams in the HC, but I think we're in a beatter place than we were a week ago.

brennomac

Back to top Go down

Irish teams in HC rounds 3 and 4 - post the NZ game Empty Re: Irish teams in HC rounds 3 and 4 - post the NZ game

Post by Toast Tue 26 Nov 2013, 11:00 pm

I though Ireland actually lost at the weekend?

Toast

Back to top Go down

Irish teams in HC rounds 3 and 4 - post the NZ game Empty Re: Irish teams in HC rounds 3 and 4 - post the NZ game

Post by thebandwagonsociety Tue 26 Nov 2013, 11:12 pm

Toast wrote:I though Ireland actually lost at the weekend?
While the scoreline had Ireland losing by 2 points, everyone knows that we should have lost by at least 20 on previous form.  So in bizarre-o-world we kind of thrashed NZ by over 18 points.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 26 Nov 2013, 11:13 pm

Toast wrote:I though Ireland actually lost at the weekend?
If you cant contribute in a meaningful way go away TROLL

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue 26 Nov 2013, 11:15 pm

Ulster are crippled by injuries - we have a better pack on the physio table than on the pitch (and that is ignoring Ferris)

Would take 8 points without any further injuries to be honest and hope Montpelier win at home to Leicester

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 26 Nov 2013, 11:34 pm

Ulster are indeed ripped apart with injuries. What better time to be playing 3 games in a row v Italian opposition. Smile

Leinster won't be favourites in NH and I will be travelling in hope rather than expectation. You never know though.....

Even if we do manage it, NH showed last year in ending Ulster's unbeaten run how they are a very tough side away from home.

Munster? I'm not sure where they are this season. They top the Rabo and beat Leinster, but they have only played one top six side away. (Glasgow, who in fairness they beat) They also lost to Embra.

Mystery wrapped in an enigma for me.

Connacht, despite their performance v Sarries have looked woeful this year. I think Zebre are the only side they have beaten.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed 27 Nov 2013, 12:18 am

Just got a mail from Ulster rugby.

Didn't realise it but you actually have 4 games in a row v Italian sides.

Next non Italian game is in the RDS on the 28th of December.

Hope you will all come down and spend your Christmas money in Dublin.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 27 Nov 2013, 12:23 am

To be brutally honest given we have Munster, at home, 6 days later and given the injuries I would surprised if a lot of players are not rested.

It is the one game every year we rest players - the Holiday away game to Munster or Leinster

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed 27 Nov 2013, 2:07 am

I don't really rate the christmas derbies, both teams rest players (think the IRFU have a training camp and rest period) these are games that should among the top games of the season, but since neither team is at full strength they are watered down. The Leinster V Munster game near the start of the season is better than the Ulster V Leinster game at christmas because of this, as such the Leinster V Ulster rivalry isn't really what it should be.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed 27 Nov 2013, 2:09 am

geoff998rugby wrote:To be brutally honest given we have Munster, at home, 6 days later and given the injuries I would surprised if a lot of players are not rested.

It is the one game every year we rest players - the Holiday away game to Munster or Leinster
I know that Geoff. But we want to encourage as many Ulster fans as possible down for some festive fun.

Normally you send us the U13s. Don't forget there are Ireland restrictions and we all have to rest players in this segment. Very few if any will be rested in the 4 x HC games. Most of the front liners will rest this week, and they will need at least 1 more game off before the 6N

Realistically that leaves the 3 Rabo games over Christmas and new year.

You guys have Zebre in Ravenhill. That could well be used also.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 27 Nov 2013, 2:10 am

Tommy O'Donnell is back in training for Munster so he would be a huge addition to the team if he can get fit on time.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed 27 Nov 2013, 2:11 am

Kingshu wrote:I don't really rate the christmas derbies, both teams rest players (think the IRFU have a training camp and rest period) these are games that should among the top games of the season, but since neither team is at full strength they are watered down. The Leinster V Munster game near the start of the season is better than the Ulster V Leinster game at christmas because of this, as such the Leinster V Ulster rivalry isn't really what it should be.
After meeting in 2 finals in 2 years?

Ulster could afford to send a stronger team this year because of the 4 Italian games in a row.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 27 Nov 2013, 2:17 am

I can't see us sending any sort of first team down to Leinster. As Jen says 4 games against italian sides and we need to pick up the points there. Leinster will be sacrificed and then we have munster, Montpelier and leicester in three consecutive weekends. I dont think we can afford to send a strong team to leinster because hat would mean 4 dirst teams in a row. I would hope/expect

Zebre (a)- 4 points
Treviso (H)- 5 points
Treviso (a)- 4 points
Zebre (h)- 5 points
Leinster (a)- 0 points
Munster (h)- 4 points
Montpelier (h)- 4/5 points

I would be very happy with the above and if we can come out ofthe Heineken double header knowing a 5 pointer against Montpelier at ravenhill will make the group safe we can seriously target them

I should add depending on how things are going in both competitions the last two derbies of the year for us could be crackers

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 27 Nov 2013, 2:23 am

Stand you have it one that is exactly how it will be viewed

Certaintly don't mind coming down for some festive cheer though Very Happy 

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 27 Nov 2013, 2:30 am

I'm just going to wait and see whose bloody left after the Heineken Cup games before thinking about the interpros.

We're probably just going to have to play the same forwards for the next four weeks because we have no scope for rotation or more injuries. After that, who knows what kind of shape we'll be in.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 27 Nov 2013, 2:34 am

Wish I could head down to Dublin but I have a wedding function to be at that night. Will probably try limerick again at the end of the season depending on the HEC.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down