The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England building on the U-20 success

5 posters

Go down

England building on the U-20 success Empty England building on the U-20 success

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Thu 28 Nov 2013, 6:35 am

Good article showing firm foundations for theEngland set up.

http://www.espn.co.uk/england/rugby/story/207379.html

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

England building on the U-20 success Empty Re: England building on the U-20 success

Post by Geordie Thu 28 Nov 2013, 9:55 am

Its great to see. Lots of potential coming through...some will make it, some wont.

But it looks like we're trying to address the continual problem of being one of the top teams of age group rugby yet failing to bring that through to senior level.

Its interesting also to see so many of this years team playing regular 1st team club rugby..ala Watson and Barrow etc.

Lets hope that when they do start coming in to the seniors as several will do very soon...England are playing a more fluid non regimented style.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

England building on the U-20 success Empty Re: England building on the U-20 success

Post by Cumbrian Thu 28 Nov 2013, 10:06 am

The gap between the U20s and seniors gets discussed a lot, indeed in the article it is called 'a void'. I think this gets overestimated somewhat. You have to accept that not every player who comes through the U20s is going to make it to the senior squad. This isn't just the case for England, it is the case for most nations.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Thu 28 Nov 2013, 10:06 am

Brilliant stuff. What a great experience for them to go to NZ for the U-20 RWC finals in 2014.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Thu 28 Nov 2013, 3:41 pm

All Good news - But I think for a long time that England has had a reasonable U20's setup! Only ever really falling over against the Kiwis!
We haven't managed to capitalise on past successes in the U20's. As others have said, some will kick on - others wont.

I'm disappointed that we don't see more of Jamie George playing at Sarries - I thought that he might have stepped up a bit more now that Smit has gone.
Wasn't Alex Grey a previous U20's captain that was touted for big things and hasn't really stepped up ( I seem to recall he may be involved with the 7's).
I would like to see more of Luke Cowan-Dickie, great name and he seemed to be a physical step up on his competitors.
Jack Clifford - think he is still in the Quins academy but is really one to watch.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down