The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should football introduce the sin bin?

+4
CFCNick
kwinigolfer
Dolphin Ziggler
Hero
8 posters

Go down

Should football introduce the sin bin? Empty Should football introduce the sin bin?

Post by Hero Thu 05 Dec 2013, 1:09 pm

European football chief Michel Platini has called for yellow cards to be replaced by a sin-bin.

"I would make it like rugby, punishing the offender with 10 or 15 minutes out of the game," he said in an interview with Spanish sports daily newspaper AS.

"It is an idea. Now it needs to mature and see if it really is good for the game. It is a proposal to be explored."

Uefa president Platini also backed the idea of allowing national cup champions to take part in the Champions League.

Under the existing in-game disciplinary system a player who is shown a straight red card or two yellow cards in the same game is immediately sent off and cannot be replaced.

However, if a player picks up a certain number of yellow cards spread over several matches they will be suspended for future games, and it is this aspect that most concerns Platini.
Who makes football's laws?

The International Football Association Board has representatives from Fifa and the four UK football associations - the FA, SFA, FAW and IFA

He believes a sin-bin would be a fairer punishment because "that way, the benefit goes to the team he is playing against, in the same match, instead of a sanction by cards which is carried out against a third team, the next on the calendar".

The former France captain, who won 76 international caps between 1976-87 and has run Uefa since 2007, also believes goalkeepers who concede a penalty should not be sent off.

"It seems excessive," he said. "The penalty is itself already is punishment enough.

"I think it's something that everyone in Fifa and Uefa agree, but one or two of the countries that make up the International Board are unwilling to change."

Regarding the subject of Champions League qualification, which is currently restricted to where teams finish in their domestic leagues, Platini backed plans to also include winners of domestic cup competitions.

"I agree with this proposal, which we have debated many times," he said. "But when it comes time to vote, countries that don't want to cede a place for the cup champion are in the majority."

taken from the Beeb

----------------------------

Personally I like the idea, why should the opposition team the following week benefit from the indiscretion the week prior?

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Should football introduce the sin bin? Empty Re: Should football introduce the sin bin?

Post by Guest Thu 05 Dec 2013, 1:16 pm

Conversely why should the opposition team benefit immediately from indiscretions which may have been committed over several weeks? what if he's booked for a foul that actually isn't?

The purpose of bans is to penalise the club that player represents, not benefit opposition.

Why not introduce a system of point docking instead?

Back to top Go down

Should football introduce the sin bin? Empty Re: Should football introduce the sin bin?

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 05 Dec 2013, 1:31 pm

And bookings are given for different things, some of which deserve slightly more punishment than others. Not an idea I like, although I think for things like handbags type scraps it could work for 3 mins.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Dec 2013, 1:36 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:And bookings are given for different things, some of which deserve slightly more punishment than others. Not an idea I like, although I think for things like handbags type scraps it could work for 3 mins.
Agreed

"Go stand in that corner, turn around, face the crowd and wear this pointy hat with a big 'D' on it!"

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 05 Dec 2013, 2:24 pm

No!

Plenty of reasons why not, but what about the yellow card offence in the game's last few minutes?
Does a ten-minute sin-bin spell get reduced to, say, ninety seconds?
Perhaps the other 8 1/2 minutes are sat out at the outset of the following game?

There are far more pressing issues for Platini to use his influence to get right, like a couple of World Cups in countries that aren't prepared for them.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Thu 05 Dec 2013, 2:42 pm

The only upside to introducing this rule is to have a penalty box and have two fans from a certain team copy these two, Force and Sully, Vancouver Canucks fans taunting the player. Because who wouldn't love to see this at football games?

Spoiler:

They've been banned from touching the glass and doing handstands against it or standing on top of the board.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 05 Dec 2013, 4:14 pm

No, football shouldn't. Yellow cards are a lot more common in football than they are in rugby; it just wouldn't work and turn a lot of games into farce.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 05 Dec 2013, 6:07 pm

I like the concept for a yellow make the team play with ten men for lets say 15 minutes for each yellow and if you get two successive yellows in short spurts you could be playing 11 v. 9. It certainly makes the game interesting and would increase scoring as players would be less likely to take a yellow to break up play especially if they are already down a man. Also it could be interesting to see short spells of 10 on 9 football etc.

Honestly I like the game as it is but this is a pretty good idea that hockey also has and it would lead to more goals so I would be for it.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 05 Dec 2013, 6:42 pm

Cos a goal means entertainment for everyone

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Dec 2013, 7:13 pm

Never. Not in a million years. Absolutely not. No way, Jose. No chance, Lance. Nyet. Negatori. Mm-mm. Nuh-uh. Uh-uh. And of course, my own personal favorite of all time, man falling off of a cliff. Noooooooooo!

There are far more pressing issues in football then giving players like Young more reason to dive and try and gain a man advantage for 10 minutes

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Tue 10 Dec 2013, 1:06 am

In principle I like the idea.  Giving a player 15 minutes of sitting on the naughty chair while he watches his team mates conceding a goal he could have helped prevent might just give him pause for reflection that actually, he is an eejit who needs to change his ways.

Then again, this is football we're discussing.  We're talking about a group of individuals who, in the main, have all the capacity for responsible behaviour of a City of London banker put in charge of a pensioner's welfare fund.

Expecting them to recognise that they might have done something to deserve punishment, and that their folly might disadvantage their mates is probably a bit too much to expect.

So, as much as I think it SHOULD be a good idea, I can't see it working.  All that is likely to happen is that managers in their post match interviews would be likely to accuse the referee (who did his job properly) for being everything from a total incompetent to Jimmy Saville.  

They will blame anybody but their poor, angelic players who, gawd bless their little cotton socks, are (if that manager wants to "keep the dressing room") incapable of ever doing anything wrong.  

The sin bin works in rugby because that is a sport where having an extra man really can make a difference.  And rugby is a game played by men who actually behave like grown men, not petulant, spoiled brats in the school playground or ego-driven  prima donnas full of their own wind and self-importance.

A football team that is reduced by one man  can easily run down the clock by simply playing the ball around amongst themselves at the back..... taking the ball into the corner and keeping it there (as teams with a lead already do towards the end of matches)...... making nugatory substitutions....... disrupting restarts..... feigning injury and getting the physio on for four minutes, knowing the referee will add only one minute on...... and so on.  

Footballers are already well versed in the time wasting "dark arts", and a 15 minute sin bin penalty is most likely to achieve only one thing..... 15 minutes of time wasting by the reduced side.

As much as I would like to see it, I don't believe it would be effective.  Fans would soon get fed up with it, newspapers would criticise it to death and MOTD and Sky pundits would be unanimous in finding it "Shocking" that the mere notion of properly punishing players for punishable offences should ever have been thought of in the first place.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Tue 10 Dec 2013, 7:05 pm

Even though I love football it's a game full of pansies the usual "violent misconduct" yellow in rugby would probably be a lifetime ban and a proposed jail sentence by the opposition manager in football. Leave the card system as it is.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down