The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tonight's official fight thread

+25
John Bloody Wayne
milkyboy
sittingringside
Marky
RanjitPatel
Scottrf
Lumbering_Jack
Strongback
All Time Great
Happytravelling
rob-glos
Lance
Duty281
Gerry SA
Haito
DarrenKnight
Seanusarrilius
hampo17
88Chris05
3fingers
Izzi
ONETWOFOREVER
TRUSSMAN66
mobilemaster8
BallchinianMuffwig
29 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Tonight's official fight thread - Page 4 Empty Tonight's official fight thread

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Sat 07 Dec 2013, 8:08 pm

First topic message reminder :

Let's get this party started.
I can't watch any of the action tonight due to being at work, a running commentary would be much appreciated.
Cheers!

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Tonight's official fight thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Tonight's official fight thread

Post by Gerry SA Sun 08 Dec 2013, 3:04 am

Only the second time in Trout's career he's been dropped!

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Tonight's official fight thread - Page 4 Empty Re: Tonight's official fight thread

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 08 Dec 2013, 3:06 am

What's the point letting him out for the 12th really?

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 08 Dec 2013, 3:10 am

Lara, easily, the best fighter at 154.

He's the only man who can beat Mayweather.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 08 Dec 2013, 3:12 am

Mayweather Lara won't sell which is a shame because it is the best fight. Khan gets the fight but Lara doesn't.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 08 Dec 2013, 3:16 am

John Bloody Wayne wrote:Mayweather Lara won't sell which is a shame because it is the best fight. Khan gets the fight but Lara doesn't.
Lara doesn't sell because GBP give him very little promotion.

Khan doesn't merit any ppv fight.

Lara vs Mayweather is the best fight out there.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sun 08 Dec 2013, 3:20 am

Lara doesn't sell because he fights 20 seconds a round and walks around with his head up his backside. he may have won the fight against a top contender, but he won zero fans. boxing is not just a sport its business. if hes good enough, he should adopt a more fan friendly style.

fighters dont need to avoid lara, the paying fans will do that for them

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 08 Dec 2013, 3:21 am

After eight rounds of Trout-Lara I switched over to see Macklin, but it looks as if Lara carried on the good work.

Macklin started well, but seems to have plateaued a little bit now (in the seventh round of a possible ten).
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 08 Dec 2013, 3:22 am

True gerry.

I like Porter's attitude and he's exciting but he's out of his element I reckon.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 08 Dec 2013, 3:26 am

Canelo was good enough to face Mayweather and he barely beat Trout. Lara shuts him out and there's a question if he's good enough?

Froch gets rightly slated for choosing JCC jr over Groves, but the likes of Khan over Lara is worse.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Sun 08 Dec 2013, 3:30 am

Macklin update?

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 08 Dec 2013, 3:31 am

Just started the last round, mate. Macklin well ahead without looking particularly great.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sun 08 Dec 2013, 3:31 am

mayweather has always looked for opponents with a good selling point. Lara knows how boxing works. he heard the crowd boo him tonight. he needs to up his game. he had trouts number, but was too timid to take the fight to him

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 08 Dec 2013, 3:33 am

Lance wrote:Lara doesn't sell because he fights 20 seconds a round and walks around with his head up his backside. he may have won the fight against a top contender, but he won zero fans. boxing is not just a sport its business. if hes good enough, he should adopt a more fan friendly style.

You're tking garbage.

Lara's style is based on a world class defensive.

There's plenty of talent needed not to get hit.

Purists will know what Lara brings to the table.

Idiots who only watch for knock outs can't digest Lara's class.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 08 Dec 2013, 3:36 am

Macklin takes a UD, 96-94, 98-92, 97-93.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 08 Dec 2013, 3:37 am

I underestimated Porter...or overestimated Devon!

Porter got a draw and win over Khan's last foe.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Sun 08 Dec 2013, 3:38 am

Dammit, my accumulator will be ruined if Macklin wins. I like him but I felt betting against him was a wise move, thought he might be close to being shot.

Not surprised Lara beat Trout...Canelo or Cotto next hopefully

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 08 Dec 2013, 11:03 am

The fight last night put's Alverez's controversial very close win against Trout into perspective. Canelo was and is not the fighter he was hyped to be.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 08 Dec 2013, 11:43 am

88Chris05 wrote:Macklin takes a UD, 96-94, 98-92, 97-93.
Alex Arthur didn't think he lost a round...........Woodhall watch out.

Looked like a British level fighter didn't he.......Barker did too.........Rigo walked it.........Kirkland fight was superb........His Opponent will end up punchdrunk by the time he's 25......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 08 Dec 2013, 11:51 am

Gerry

Lara offers Mayweather very little, at the moment he brings nothing to the table, no belts and no money. Fans don't want to watch a pure boxer like Mayweather fight another pure boxer like Lara, it would be sleep inducing. From all accounts he looked good last night, will watch it when I can but he's very hot and cold. Looked good against Williams but very poor against Molina and Martirosyan, plus was rocked to his boots against Angulo.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun 08 Dec 2013, 11:54 am

Just catching up on the TR card, great first round in the Koborov fight.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 08 Dec 2013, 11:55 am

Khan doesn't bring anything to the table in the States.............Mayweather is the name that sells.........Like Manny is the name that sells his fights....

Mexicans may bring something.......but no one else is selling a Mayweather/Manny fight.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun 08 Dec 2013, 11:58 am

Lara won the WBA Title last night HH.

Can anyone explain to me why Steve Smoger felt the need to slap Koborov on the arse in round two?

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 08 Dec 2013, 12:00 pm

Khan probably brings in more interest than Lara rightly or wrongly, plus the fans would expect a more exciting fight.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 08 Dec 2013, 12:02 pm

hampo171 wrote:Lara won the WBA Title last night HH.

Can anyone explain to me why Steve Smoger felt the need to slap Koborov on the arse in round two?
The WBA belt that Mayweather already has Hampo, not sure anyone takes Lara's belt seriously.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun 08 Dec 2013, 12:04 pm

I'm sure Mayweather had to decide whether he was vacating or not, looks like he did.

That said I don't want to see that fight. Lara vs Canelo however would be a good scrap.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 08 Dec 2013, 12:09 pm

Last night was for the regular title, pretty sure that Mayweather is still the super/proper champion.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 08 Dec 2013, 12:14 pm

This "regular" champion pees me off.........

Hearn goes on about quigg being world champion.........How can you be If someone is the super champion.......

Geez...........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 08 Dec 2013, 12:49 pm

hampo171 wrote:
Maybe he just couldn't resist those pert buns?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 08 Dec 2013, 1:47 pm

milkyboy wrote:
hampo171 wrote:
Maybe he just couldn't resist those pert buns?

Maybe Koborov farted and steve didnt want Koborov muscling in on his pollution gig.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 08 Dec 2013, 2:04 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Gerry

Lara offers Mayweather very little, at the moment he brings nothing to the table, no belts and no money. Fans don't want to watch a pure boxer like Mayweather fight another pure boxer like Lara, it would be sleep inducing. From all accounts he looked good last night, will watch it when I can but he's very hot and cold. Looked good against Williams but very poor against Molina and Martirosyan, plus was rocked to his boots against Angulo.
Lara brings a style of fight that's actually worth watching.

Mayweather, if he does fight Khan, what's the point?

Khan's an average fighter who'll get humiliated inside 6 rounds.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 08 Dec 2013, 2:05 pm

Truth be told, Mayweather would actually get a lot more respect from me (merely one of millions of boxing fans, obviously) if he were to take on Lara than if he were to take on a Khan or a Garcia. I think Floyd has spent so long telling everyone that it's all about the money that a lot of his fanatics have forgotten that a man who calls himself the greatest boxer of all time should, shock horror, maybe take the toughest fight (rather than simply the most lucrative one) every now and again. I don't blame him for the way he's gone about selecting his opponents, but using that same method for every single fight?

I'm not saying that Mayweather would be 'ducking' Lara if the fight never happened, or that it's THE single fight that needs to be made in boxing etc. But anyone summarily rubbishing Lara's claim to being a potential and / or legitimate opponent for Mayweather after he's put on a performance like that has really become a bit too obsessed with Floyd's 'Money Mayweather' routine, for me. At the end of the day, Mayweather's still regarded as the Light-Middleweight champion as things stand, so it's hardly unreasonable or to be scoffed at when Lara's name gets thrown in to the hat, is it?
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 08 Dec 2013, 2:07 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:
hampo171 wrote:Lara won the WBA Title last night HH.

The WBA belt that Mayweather already has Hampo, not sure anyone takes Lara's belt seriously.
Mayweather's got to make a decision by December 15th as to whether he'll keep his WBC/Ring welterweight titles or WBA/WBC/Ring Super welterweight titles.

So Lara is most likely going to be the real WBA champion, as Mayweather is favouring keeping his welterweight titles.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 08 Dec 2013, 2:11 pm

He'll be the 'real' champion by default more than having earned it.

I have to disagree that Lara has a style worth watching, like Rigo his fights are generally just very dull.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 08 Dec 2013, 2:15 pm

I think that both their problems are that they spend a little too much time watching and setting up - they look better against lesser opponents but not so great against people they can't afford to take chances against - same with Hoppo and Winky

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sun 08 Dec 2013, 3:22 pm

Gerry SA wrote:
Lance wrote:Lara doesn't sell because he fights 20 seconds a round and walks around with his head up his backside. he may have won the fight against a top contender, but he won zero fans. boxing is not just a sport its business. if hes good enough, he should adopt a more fan friendly style.

You're tking garbage.

Lara's style is based on a world class defensive.

There's plenty of talent needed not to get hit.

Purists will know what Lara brings to the table.

Idiots who only watch for knock outs can't digest Lara's class.
I understand what you are saying Ed. but Lara needs idiots to take an interest in him if hes going to be a star and get fights with the likes of mayweather. im a purist myself. Hopkins and rigo are my two favourite boxers right now. but lara could have done more last night. the ball is in his court

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 08 Dec 2013, 3:31 pm

Usually i'm the type who'll yawn at a Ward masterclass and favour a Froch tear up. Give me Gatti v Ward over Whittaker v Mcgirt any day, but there's something about Lara I find quite good to watch. He's not a spoiler or a mauler, he's very fluid and he can punch. I mean he broke Angulo's face!

Speaking of being exciting, I remember the Angulo fight being fairly gripping, even if that was largely down to El Perro.

Was quite pleased for Paulie last night! I thought Judah would decision him, because although he's further past his prime, his prime was quite a bit higher than Paulie's in my opinion. He just didn't have the appetite.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 08 Dec 2013, 7:46 pm

I didn't even realise until the night before the fight that that clown Yoel Judah was back in his son's corner for the 'Battle of Brooklyn.' As soon as I read that, I put my money on Paulie!

Whenever Yoel's in Zab's corner, Judah just seems to forget about combinations and working for openings and just looks for big highlight reel shots. Truth be told, Judah looked a bit clueless and uninterested once he realised that Malignaggi was going to use his speed and stay on the outside.

Again, the fight just seemed to underline the belief that Zab is a good four round fighter, but always levels out after that. Early on he was hitting with a bit of authority and of course got the knockdown (albeit I thought their legs being tangled had more to do with it than Zab's punch) but once the fight started slipping away from him the threat he posed looked pretty minimal, really.

Malignaggi just won't go away, will he? Never been a fan of either man at all, really, as I was saying on the podcast the other night to Hampo and Ozzy, but fair play to him. This win should see him matched for another alphabet strap or, at the very least, an eliminator fight for one. Who do we think is next for him? The winner of Broner-Maidana is a possibility, and then there's Porter, a lance chance saloon fight with Alexander, maybe even Thurman etc.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Mon 09 Dec 2013, 9:18 am

Lara to take on Canelo?

If he goes through him then well within his rights to demand a Mayweather fight

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Mon 09 Dec 2013, 10:27 am

88Chris05 wrote:Truth be told, Mayweather would actually get a lot more respect from me (merely one of millions of boxing fans, obviously) if he were to take on Lara than if he were to take on a Khan or a Garcia. I think Floyd has spent so long telling everyone that it's all about the money that a lot of his fanatics have forgotten that a man who calls himself the greatest boxer of all time should, shock horror, maybe take the toughest fight (rather than simply the most lucrative one) every now and again. I don't blame him for the way he's gone about selecting his opponents, but using that same method for every single fight?

I'm not saying that Mayweather would be 'ducking' Lara if the fight never happened, or that it's THE single fight that needs to be made in boxing etc. But anyone summarily rubbishing Lara's claim to being a potential and / or legitimate opponent for Mayweather after he's put on a performance like that has really become a bit too obsessed with Floyd's 'Money Mayweather' routine, for me. At the end of the day, Mayweather's still regarded as the Light-Middleweight champion as things stand, so it's hardly unreasonable or to be scoffed at when Lara's name gets thrown in to the hat, is it?

thumbsup 

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4