The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3rd Ashes Test, Perth

+39
Breadvan
Icu
skiddy
NickisBHAFC
LivinginItaly
Born Slippy
subhranshu.kumar.5
Biltong
mystiroakey
Hibbz
Scrumpy
liverbnz
ShahenshahG
amanuensis
Mike Selig
seanmichaels
Dorothy_Mantooth
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Mat
kwinigolfer
Pal Joey
Fists of Fury
alfie
Good Golly I'm Olly
Steffan
Duty281
B91212
Gerry SA
guildfordbat
Liam
KP_fan
JDizzle
msp83
jimbohammers
Nachos Jones
kingraf
CaledonianCraig
Hoggy_Bear
Stella
43 posters

Page 17 of 22 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22  Next

Go down

3rd Ashes Test, Perth - Page 17 Empty 3rd Ashes Test, Perth

Post by Stella Mon 09 Dec 2013, 9:36 am

First topic message reminder :

Western Australia next, which means staying up even later to watch the start of the third test.

You would think Perth is one place the Aussies should win, so what do we do?

Panic, and drop Swann, but leave Monty in? Or perhaps play four or five seamers? Has Stokes done enough? He showed plenty of attitude, so yes, he probably has.

Has Prior done enough to see him promoted to six, as Stokes isn't one..............yet? Maybe not but we have to try and win, and playing him at six, would enable us to play five bowlers again, with Monty dropping out.

Who comes in? Finn, the 90mph quickie, with a strike rate around 50? Reliable Tim? Just coming back from injury but will give 100%, won't get smacked around, and can bat a bit. Or rankin? This would be the biggest gamble imo, as he has no test experience.

My team:

Cook
Carberry
Root
Pietersen
Bell
Prior
Stokes
Broad
Swann
Finn
Anderson
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

3rd Ashes Test, Perth - Page 17 Empty Re: 3rd Ashes Test, Perth

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Mon 16 Dec 2013, 8:06 am

Ah. Johnson warming up to bowl some 90+ yorkers at Broad's feet. Payback coming really soon it looks like.
21st Century Schizoid Man
21st Century Schizoid Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 16 Dec 2013, 8:06 am

Always look on the bright side - hopefully this'll slap England back into some sort of order. You know, just like when England lost in the West Indies.

Oh hang on - we haven't lost yet!

Come on England!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 16 Dec 2013, 8:13 am

No mysti she is already through the first chorus.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 16 Dec 2013, 8:14 am

There might be an earthquake which could make the cracks in the pitch 7 inches large and the game could be called off. There is allways that duty!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 16 Dec 2013, 8:37 am

maybe play will be called off on account of heat?

sun strokes are a real thing¡¡
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 16 Dec 2013, 8:42 am

The  3rd Ashes Test, Perth - Page 17 3559488474  has actually been warming up for a couple of days now...

Imagine she has a good chance of completing her aria some time today  Smile 

Would be nice to see these two bat on for a bit though ...prolonging the inevitable but at least something to watch.

I am pleased to see Stokes getting a chance for more experience anyway : I don't hold too many fears that being on the wrong end of a couple of carve ups is going to cow him for the future - he doesn't seem that type. He may not secure a permanent place in the team just yet - depends how they decide to adjust things in the aftermath of this defeat - but I think he has a future.

And I have to say I do admire the Australian fielding in this match (and series generally) . Old man Haddin has led the way beautifully  clap 

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 16 Dec 2013, 8:47 am

Breadvan wrote:You can only doff your cap to Aus this tour. Out played, outcoached, outcaptained. Tactics and composure spot on. The re-invention of Johnson after his mauling in 10//11. The morning session has typified Australia's will just to smash Eng out of the series altogether. Nightmare! lol..

Lineb, you be aboslutely loving this, especially after 3 series in a row for Eng. Talk about payback!

Yes Breadvan. As one of our ex-PMs said to the Opposition once: "We want to do you slowly..."  Laugh 

Good little partnership from Bell and Stokes. The wicket is still good for batting despite those huge cracks.
Australian bowlers finding it hard work.

This looks most likely it will go into Day 5. They must have already done their Xmas shopping.  3rd Ashes Test, Perth - Page 17 3845856932 

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 16 Dec 2013, 8:51 am

In truth England have played better this test bar that horrid 3rd day. shame really- 350 in the first innings was all that was needed to make a game of it

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 16 Dec 2013, 8:52 am

Dunno about that , lb ...one wicket might bring several. Extra half hour , Broad probably shouldn't bat ...

Call me again an hour  Smile 

Enjoying the stroke play anyway.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 16 Dec 2013, 8:53 am

mystiroakey wrote:In truth England have played better this test bar that horrid 3rd day. shame really- 350 in the first innings was all that was needed to make a game of it

Story of the series , really. Same game three times , with slight variations...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 16 Dec 2013, 8:55 am

We will get to 440 this innings...

and agonisingly fall short

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 16 Dec 2013, 8:57 am

Stokes is a big plus though.

The one player in aus that I would pick over any other has allways been Watson.

The most underrated player by many but does such a good job.

Good batsman- rarely fails to get a start and bowls so economically on the whole which takes pressure of the top bowlers and gives them more chances due to him strangling the rate. And oiff course the fact that he is two players in one(true all-rounder)

Stokes can do that job for us.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 16 Dec 2013, 9:02 am

alfie wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:In truth England have played better this test bar that horrid 3rd day. shame really- 350 in the first innings was all that was needed to make a game of it

Story of the series , really.  Same game three times , with slight variations...

I think there has been quite a big difference in attitude and application , even though the same outcomes have come about- i think on the whole our batters haven't given there wickets away.

that application from the top order has been improved.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 16 Dec 2013, 9:02 am

geez... did that thing with the title again. All fixed now.

Mysti, he was lucky to get that ton. He nearly dragged it on, twice. His century conversion rate is still very poor for a Test player of comparable ability. Sure, he chips in with the odd wicket here and there but he is no Jacques Kallis.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 16 Dec 2013, 9:07 am

He is no Kallis or even a flinty. But all rounders are so rare- they add so much , just to have one is a massive plus and he is a genuine one.

Kallis is one of those rare all rounders that could almost get in the SA team for either role.

But You allways know what you are getting out of Watson. You will get economical bowling and a 35-50 almost every innings.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 16 Dec 2013, 9:12 am

I won't get carried away yet , roakey. So far Stokes has shown promise , but whether he can hold down a regular top six spot remains to be seen. Because that will require a lot more than the odd forty or fifty , if you want a successful Test team.

But today he has shown a bit more , and it will be interesting to see how he develops from here.

Good fifty Bell  clap  The aggressive approach in this innings rather does show up the questionable tactic KP and Bell took first time around.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 16 Dec 2013, 9:19 am

He is an allrounder alfie.

he doesn't allways need to go big.

he only needs a long term average of 38 or so with the bat and 33 with the ball.

add to that look at our other no.6 batsmen in the past.

Collingwood was ok , but not a genuine all rounder- more of a part time bowler and averaging something like 60 with the ball!

the rest like Ravi and morgan have never been up to standard since.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 16 Dec 2013, 9:19 am

And a qualified agreement to your suggestion that the top order batting has been a bit better here , roakey. (it could hardly have been worse than Adelaide !)

Still a couple of poor dismissals in the first innings though - when it really counted. And that is why I say same story : they have still never really forced the Aussies to bowl long enough to get tired , before getting their chance at the poor old tailenders.

Bit late now. Though a bit more of this might give them some heart for Melbourne.
Would still be nice to see Australia have to bat under some scoreboard pressure for once and see if it makes a difference.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 16 Dec 2013, 9:25 am

Apparently Eion Morgan is getting excited about the big bash. Playing for my local team the Thunder. They had a meet the fans day yesterday just down the road from me.

It's good to see Stokes and Carbs tough it out in this series. As some of you say, maybe Carberry is a stop-gap for a future reshuffle of the batting order but he's done OK considering the amount of pressure the team is under. Stokes looks like a decent competitor too.

Whaddaya mean alfie? They've been batting under scoreboard pressure for the last 3 years! Wink 

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 16 Dec 2013, 9:27 am

Come on Belly............................................................................walk!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 16 Dec 2013, 9:29 am

Bell gone. strange dismissal that one. Is hotspot failing under the heat!!

The fat lady had a cup of tea, but now she is ready again

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon 16 Dec 2013, 9:30 am

Looked to b a big gap between bat and ball when the noise was made! Hot Spot on the ball, Snicko and Bell's guilty expression said otherwise though. Right call me thinks. Could be all over very quickly now.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 16 Dec 2013, 9:30 am

Linebreaker wrote:Come on Belly............................................................................walk!

dont be silly

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 16 Dec 2013, 9:31 am

mystiroakey wrote:He is an allrounder alfie.

he only needs a long term average of 38 or so with the bat and 33 with the ball.

Collingwood was ok , but not a genuine all rounder- more of a part time bowler and averaging something like 60 with the ball!

I don't disagree with that : but those projected figures are pretty good ! You won't get that without making some centuries ... which you need from a number six , even if he is a good bowler as well.
Collingwood would never have claimed to be a real allrounder . But he was a genuine number six , and while the right four bowler attack was firing , it worked.
What generally doesn't work is a number six who isn't quite good enough with the bat , because unless you can make up for it with a very strong seven-eight , you tend to lose too many runs , too often , for the extra bowler to help.
Even with Freddie : It was OK while he was batting well , and Jones and Giles were adding handy runs...but when those two gave way to lesser batsmen it became five out all out...

Will hold judgement for a while yet , thanks.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 16 Dec 2013, 9:32 am

Good fifty Stokes  clap 

Pity about Bell ...pity the Aussies had a blasted referral left  Very Happy 

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 16 Dec 2013, 9:33 am

mystiroakey wrote:
Linebreaker wrote:Come on Belly............................................................................walk!

dont be silly

ha ha... remind me not to play monopoly with you!

He's as guilty as hell. On ya bike son!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 16 Dec 2013, 9:34 am

Linebreaker wrote:Apparently Eion Morgan is getting excited about the big bash. Playing for my local team the Thunder. They had a meet the fans day yesterday just down the road from me.

It's good to see Stokes and Carbs tough it out in this series. As some of you say, maybe Carberry is a stop-gap for a future reshuffle of the batting order but he's done OK considering the amount of pressure the team is under. Stokes looks like a decent competitor too.

Whaddaya mean alfie? They've been batting under scoreboard pressure for the last 3 years! Wink 

I know ! And it was fun to watch the results ...but it is your turn now  Very Happy 

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 16 Dec 2013, 9:35 am

alfie wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:He is an allrounder alfie.

I don't disagree with that : but those projected figures are pretty good !  You won't get that without making some centuries ... which you need from a number six , even if he is a good bowler as well.
Collingwood would never have claimed to be a real allrounder . But he was a genuine number six , and while the right four bowler attack was firing  , it worked.
What generally doesn't work is a number six who isn't quite good enough with the bat , because unless you can make up for it with a very strong seven-eight , you tend to lose too many runs , too often , for the extra bowler to help.
Even with Freddie : It was OK while he was batting well , and Jones and Giles were adding handy runs...but when those two gave way to lesser batsmen it became five out all out...

Will hold judgement for a while yet , thanks.

He is our hope, we haven't got many. I will take that hope. thanks Wink  Hug 

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 16 Dec 2013, 9:38 am

Linebreaker wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:

dont be silly

ha ha... remind me not to play monopoly with you!

He's as guilty as hell. On ya bike son!

His acting was shocking , I prefer roots style-

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 16 Dec 2013, 9:41 am

Root's gone down in my estimation now. Luckily the technology didn't fall for his innocent looking baby-faced countenance.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 16 Dec 2013, 9:46 am

At least we've found England's next number 6.

Hope for the future!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 16 Dec 2013, 9:47 am

Look i am being a bit harsh on root. In truth I trust him.

The first dismissal we can all understand, and even if he did hit it, you may not feel that sort of edge. The second one he did hit the ground at the same time as hitting the ball. Therefore its hard to pick up two impacts.

But if he is on the con, I will call him the baby faced assassin.

Last edited by mystiroakey on Mon 16 Dec 2013, 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 16 Dec 2013, 9:47 am

And we haven't lost yet!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 16 Dec 2013, 9:48 am

Duty281 wrote:And we haven't lost yet!

True duty!

True- prior owes us a 200 as well.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 16 Dec 2013, 9:51 am

Steffan wrote:Gotta bring them down a peg or two init  Smile 

Especially in cricket

If you're going to WUM, pick a decent target at least. You know perfectly well it's England and Wales.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon 16 Dec 2013, 9:54 am

Bell has 16 fifties in his last 21 Ashes innings! Form.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 16 Dec 2013, 9:56 am

JDizzle wrote:Bell has 16 fifties in his last 21 Ashes innings! Form.

he needs to open.

we need to look at the future.

carbs on ya bike(harsh but he is not the future)

KP and root must keep there places.

stokes stays at 6- if prior doesn't do well today Barstow in,

ballance at 5

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 16 Dec 2013, 9:57 am

Australia need Mitch to target Prior.
Go for the trifecta, I say - a batsman, a bowler and a wicket-keeper.  Whistle 

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 16 Dec 2013, 10:00 am

Linebreaker wrote:Australia need Mitch to target Prior.
Go for the trifecta, I say - a batsman, a bowler and a wicket-keeper.  Whistle 

Mitch is gone mate.. He wont be able to hit a haystack tomorrow. Prior fighting hard for his place.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 16 Dec 2013, 10:03 am

Mitch will come good tomorrow. They should polish England & Wales off well before lunch as usual.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 16 Dec 2013, 10:04 am

Well it was certainly Aussies day- set up the win well.

But at least we had something for us England fans..

A good days cricket- England didn't have the fear. The fear is leaving us LB.. You wont get that whitewash

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 16 Dec 2013, 10:06 am

Too late mate. The paint brushes have already arrived.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 16 Dec 2013, 10:10 am

I think you're right, Breaker. I can't see Prior batting all day tomorrow. Then again, Swann and Bresnan can bat, and seeing as crease occupation should be the name of the game, it doesn't matter that Broad can barely walk. He should do an Inzamam and just deal in boundaries.

Last edited by Luckless Pedestrian on Mon 16 Dec 2013, 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 16 Dec 2013, 10:11 am

there is more chance of a win than batting out the day.

but even that is a massive shot.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 16 Dec 2013, 10:11 am

Is it too hard to believe? One century partnership, one batting half-century and a bit from the Bres, 20s or more from Broad and Swann.

Come on England - never doubt, never falter, never waver, never, never, never give in!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 16 Dec 2013, 10:13 am

When this series is over, I hope the selectors have a good look at our bowling as well as our batting. Anderson and Swann have been poor, but they seem to be undroppable.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 16 Dec 2013, 10:15 am

LP

a poor swan is still better than most competition leg spinners- so he has a lot of leeway

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 16 Dec 2013, 10:18 am

True. The good thing is that he can just concentrate on batting tomorrow. If we manage to salvage something from this Test, it will be a huge boost to morale.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 16 Dec 2013, 10:22 am

Just getting past 400 would be massive LP.

outcomes unless an act of 'god' happens.

1% draw

5% win

94% aus win

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 16 Dec 2013, 10:31 am

That's about right. I still can't believe how Pietersen got out. He knew the deal, he knew the stakes.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 22 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22  Next