The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+28
kouchi
Hibbz
hend085
Shotrock
BlueCoverman
golfermartin
Plunky
Doc
Bob_the_Job
I'm never wrong
puligny
dynamark
barragan
Roller_Coaster
westisbest
MustPuttBetter
lorus59
beninho
SmithersJones
JAS
pedro
1GrumpyGolfer
Davie
kwinigolfer
raycastleunited
navyblueshorts
McLaren
mystiroakey
32 posters

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by MontysMerkin Tue 03 Dec 2013, 2:01 pm

First topic message reminder :

That's why these pursuits should be undertaken in videogames and not in real life. Real life has a nasty habit of finding you out to be the hopeless loser you don't think you are.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Mon 09 Dec 2013, 3:51 pm

Well, I imagine we'll find out in Brazil just how fit England are in tough conditions compared to their European counterparts.

I'm not saying they aren't fit, I just think UK footballers could be a lot better conditioned than they are. Rather than employing an Ex TV Chairman to be in charge of their Association someone like Dave Brailsford who knows how to get the best out of people would be better.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Mon 09 Dec 2013, 3:53 pm

mystiroakey wrote:This year there is one player out on his own in regards to work rate. he is all over the pitch and tries as hard as he can every game..

That player is called fat by many because he is English. Yet his work rate is exceptional

I dont even need to mention his name because we all know who he is.

People have this strange issue about English players

I noticed No Forehead Gerrard had the beginnings of a pair of man boobs the other night when they got their arses felt by Hull.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 09 Dec 2013, 3:54 pm

MontysMerkin wrote:
super_realist wrote:I meant in regard to their fitness. The country that routinely moans most about adverse conditions and which seems to breathe out of it's collective backsides in tough conditions are generally UK based.

It's probably cos you're exposed to it more. Bet if you were in Italy, Spain etc the media would be the same and therefore people with spout off the same. Think it just gives people something to talk about in the pub tbh

Spot on monty. I find the same in every country where I've spent enough time to chat to people about football. everyone has the same moans, and it's interesting but other countries also stereo type too, just slightly different. For example, ask a Spaniard about the England team and the classic stereo type is rubbish goalkeepers... and that's going back a long long time before Joe Hart!

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Mon 09 Dec 2013, 3:55 pm

There's nothing better than seeing the England captain strolling back to his own half with his hands on his hips as the opposition come pouring past to overwhelm our back four. Makes you proud to be an Englishman.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Mon 09 Dec 2013, 3:56 pm

NOT!  steam 
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 09 Dec 2013, 3:57 pm

Football too, displays appalling body language. Much money to be made by sports psychologists there.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 09 Dec 2013, 4:02 pm

super_realist wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:This year there is one player out on his own in regards to work rate. he is all over the pitch and tries as hard as he can every game..

That player is called fat by many because he is English. Yet his work rate is exceptional

I dont even need to mention his name because we all know who he is.

People have this strange issue about English players

I noticed No Forehead Gerrard had the beginnings of a pair of man boobs the other night when they got their arses felt by Hull.

You did know who I was talking about didn't you?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 09 Dec 2013, 4:03 pm

I presume you meant Fat Lamps?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 09 Dec 2013, 4:04 pm

Rooney

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Mon 09 Dec 2013, 4:09 pm

Love Rooneys attitude, agree he's all over the place and a bit 'niggly'. If all England players put that sort of shift in we'd be fine. Like I said before if I see that stupid scouse berk wandering back into his own half with his hands on his hips I swear I'll go postal.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 09 Dec 2013, 5:34 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Its not about buying it its about seeing it.

When the UK gets so high up in the Olympics, and so well in so many sports its just common sense.

There are a lot of people that need to be negative and cant see the woods for the trees
It's amazing what money can do. I wasn't talking about anything except pro football.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 09 Dec 2013, 5:38 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:Its not about buying it its about seeing it.

When the UK gets so high up in the Olympics, and so well in so many sports its just common sense.

There are a lot of people that need to be negative and cant see the woods for the trees
It's amazing what money can do. I wasn't talking about anything except pro football.

not quite sure why you think footballers are different.

Clue- footballers are footballers,

And the hardest working players in the prem are actually usually uk players, Many of the players that are tagged lazy- are invariably foreign.

YOu have been caught out by a dated stereotype

English players are as fit if not more fit than many of there foreign counterparts.

If you want to argue that UK footballers are less fit- please provide proof and examples!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 09 Dec 2013, 5:55 pm

Well if you are actually fit you dont complain about having to run 20k over two games in a week.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 09 Dec 2013, 5:56 pm

who is complaining?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 09 Dec 2013, 6:39 pm

Premier league players are always moaning about having too many games to play, and frequently use it as an excuse for their international failings too.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 09 Dec 2013, 6:41 pm

Have you got links to these moaning players?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 09 Dec 2013, 6:53 pm

Oakey, you're being dishonest if you are denying they do this, it happens all the time especially around Christmas, FA Cup later stages, end of the season, close to the World Cup etc.
It's happened every year for for as long as I can remember and will happen in the New year too.
Too be fair, it's usually the managers moaning about it, they shouldn't have to though, their pool of players should be able to play Sat-Wed_Sat without any sort of issues, but it's a fairly unreasonable moan, especially in the days of 3 subs and massive squads.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 09 Dec 2013, 6:56 pm

I rarely(if ever) have heard players talking about that- ex players, managers, media- but players NEVER.

Most players just want to play.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 09 Dec 2013, 7:01 pm

MontysMerkin wrote:Love Rooneys attitude, agree he's all over the place and a bit 'niggly'. If all England players put that sort of shift in we'd be fine.

Rooney's attitude is a red card waiting to happen. He doesn't get preferential treatment in international matches, so will get punished time and again for his poor tackling and inability to control his temper.

In England refs pander to him and allow him to get away with so much because half the country supports Man U and they are terrified of pundits like Alan Green moaning that the ref ruined the game by sending off Rooney. Most refs were also terrifed of SAF... don't think Moyes has that intimidation factor.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 09 Dec 2013, 7:03 pm

one mistake in a long time Ray.

I would rather have Rooney's temperament over Suarez's

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 09 Dec 2013, 7:26 pm

mystiroakey wrote:I rarely(if ever) have heard players talking about that- ex players, managers, media- but players NEVER.

Most players just want to play.

I've heard Nicholas Bendtner do it. Ironic in that he rarely plays.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 09 Dec 2013, 7:27 pm

One of the laziest players in the PL and not English!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 09 Dec 2013, 8:24 pm

mystiroakey wrote:one mistake in a long time Ray.

I would rather have Suarez's talent and goal scoring ability though

Has he been in anything remotely controversial since his biting incident? Maybe he is finally getting his act together and if so, beware. Possibly the finest player in the PL (and not I'm not a 'pool fan)

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 09 Dec 2013, 8:28 pm

he is the best player in the pl. No doubts.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 09 Dec 2013, 9:18 pm

Davie wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:one mistake in a long time Ray.

I would rather have Suarez's talent and goal scoring ability though

Has he been in anything remotely controversial since his biting incident? Maybe he is finally getting his act together and if so, beware. Possibly the finest player in the PL (and not I'm not a 'pool fan)

You have to wonder why and for how long a player that good is going to play for a deadbeat team like Liverpool though. A big team will come in for him in January or the summer.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 09 Dec 2013, 9:21 pm

He will be gone in the summer.

Not Jan.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 09 Dec 2013, 9:30 pm

Depends if Lpool will stay atop and thus the CL outlook for next season.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 09 Dec 2013, 9:33 pm

Nah, a player like that isn't going to stay at a team like that, regardless of CL. He'll be snapped up by a proper team. I reckon Bayern would suit him perfectly.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Tue 10 Dec 2013, 10:00 am

So actor Leonardo DiCaprio is entering a team in the new E Formula racing series. He wants to promote the use of clean energy vehicles. In the future we may have clean energy but I doubt we will ever have cheap energy. If someone invented an engine that ran on water, the government would probably make it law that you have to use dyed water and tax it heavily.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue 10 Dec 2013, 10:14 am

I think people confuse players saying they would be fresher if they hadn't played twice in a week already (valid point) with them saying they're tired and complaining.
You rarely, if ever, will hear a player say he's tired. They all want to play!

I'm unconvinced on the Rooney 'good attitude' thing. Anyone can run all over the pitch going wherever they like to try and get a touch. A good attitude would be to remain disciplined and do his job. If that means he has to do a lot of closing down and doesn't get many touches so be it. It does the side no favours when they look forward and there's no one there to give it to because Rooney is 3 yards off our centre backs. People think that's a great attitude and then complain that we can't keep possession......
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 10 Dec 2013, 10:59 am

lorus59 wrote:So actor Leonardo DiCaprio is entering a team in the new E Formula racing series. He wants to promote the use of clean energy vehicles. In the future we may have clean energy but I doubt we will ever have cheap energy. If someone invented an engine that ran on water, the government would probably make it law that you have to use dyed water and tax it heavily.

I don't like motor racing, but can you imagine how dull a silent race would be.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Tue 10 Dec 2013, 11:17 am

MustPuttBetter wrote:I think people confuse players saying they would be fresher if they hadn't played twice in a week already (valid point) with them saying they're tired and complaining.
You rarely, if ever, will hear a player say he's tired. They all want to play!

I'm unconvinced on the Rooney 'good attitude' thing. Anyone can run all over the pitch going wherever they like to try and get a touch. A good attitude would be to remain disciplined and do his job. If that means he has to do a lot of closing down and doesn't get many touches so be it. It does the side no favours when they look forward and there's no one there to give it to because Rooney is 3 yards off our centre backs. People think that's a great attitude and then complain that we can't keep possession......
Trouble is most of em stay disciplined but can't do their job. no vision, no touch, terrified of the ball, panicky. Rooney for all his faults (fat stupid granny shagging potato heed that he is) wants it, wants to get in there. I'm tired of watching the same old England who can't even keep the ball effectively, let alone close matches out. Hoping the new youngsters can bring a bit of swagger and pride to the job.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue 10 Dec 2013, 12:35 pm

We lack vision and creativity that is certain. I don't know about terrified of the ball, most are comfortable in possession, they just lack any creativity as agreed.
That said, the answer isn't allowing everyone to abandon their position and tear about wherever they like. You can't play like that and allowing Rooney to do it is just pandering to our supposed best player and doing the side no favours
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 10 Dec 2013, 12:41 pm

I cant agree with that at all MPB

Rooney is the best player we have and the most affective.

He was the player that broke the deadlock against our last two qualifying opposition.

He was the player in the right place at the right time. He was the player with the balls to score. For all our possession and attacking play we showed in both games it took time to score- but Rooney finished his chances well.

He also has the highest goals and assists record in all competitions this year.

This is a player that not only provides and scores and scores important goals, but he also gets his back to the wall and defends when needed.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Tue 10 Dec 2013, 12:52 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:We lack vision and creativity that is certain. I don't know about terrified of the ball, most are comfortable in possession, they just lack any creativity as agreed.
That said, the answer isn't allowing everyone to abandon their position and tear about wherever they like. You can't play like that and allowing Rooney to do it is just pandering to our supposed best player and doing the side no favours
Their 'comfort' on the ball at times looks lazy. I'm not sure I agree with you about Rooney abandoning position, he has a fairly free reign (although agree he can be out of position at times on counter attacks) but as he has shown for the ever Poopie manure this season, he's the one that will win the ball back just outside the box, lay it off, tear up the field and bang in the winner. That for me is why he is strong for England. Just need Crouchy n Les Ferdinand n we're all set...
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 10 Dec 2013, 12:59 pm

Certainly Rooney is one of the few players you feel can perform at the highest level. At tournaments he is always our main goal threat.

I've never understood why Gerrard gets so much praise for his performances. I always see a headless chicken running around giving the ball away with long 40 yard cross field balls which invariably look aimless to me but look good in the highlights when  they show the 1 in 10 that comes off.

Lampard has always looked more mature and composed in possession. Best midfielder we've had in recent years was Hargreaves, though Beckham was pretty useful too.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 10 Dec 2013, 1:03 pm

Scholes was the best we had mate- shame he shyed away from international football because he was pushed out to the wings for a game or two.

Things are looking up for the future though

Wilshire, Morrison, Hughes, Barkley and ox are the future and all are comfortable on the ball and have good vision.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Tue 10 Dec 2013, 1:16 pm

raycastleunited wrote:Certainly Rooney is one of the few players you feel can perform at the highest level. At tournaments he is always our main goal threat.

I've never understood why Gerrard gets so much praise for his performances. I always see a headless chicken running around giving the ball away with long 40 yard cross field balls which invariably look aimless to me but look good in the highlights when  they show the 1 in 10 that comes off.

Lampard has always looked more mature and composed in possession. Best midfielder we've had in recent years was Hargreaves, though Beckham was pretty useful too.
Baffled by Gerrard myself. Every time I slag him off he does something amazing (same thing happened to Rio - slagged him off just before he scored that header against someone or other!) like score in the first minute! But overall not impressed. Rate lamps, and biscuit bones hargreaves, but unfortunately beckham was a one trick pony (pretty good trick I'll agree!). No pace, couldn't take on a player, but could hit some great passes/goals (and sometimes at crucial times).
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue 10 Dec 2013, 1:36 pm

mystiroakey wrote:I cant agree with that at all MPB

Rooney is the best player we have and the most affective.

He was the player that broke the deadlock against our last two qualifying opposition.

He was the player in the right place at the right time. He was the player with the balls to score. For all our possession and attacking play we showed in both games it took time to score- but Rooney finished his chances well.

He also has the highest goals and assists record in all competitions this year.

This is a player that not only provides and scores and scores important goals, but he also gets his back to the wall and defends when needed.

So in summary - he scored the goals
I'm not sure that makes him our best player
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue 10 Dec 2013, 1:38 pm

Agreed re Scholes though
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 10 Dec 2013, 1:40 pm

well MPB you are arguing that Rooney doesnt get in the right areas of the pitch because he works all over. But that isnt the case because he scores the important goals

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue 10 Dec 2013, 2:17 pm

I'm not sure he scores as many goals as he could/should Mysti. He spends too much time in the wrong areas and this doesn't help the team.
As i say, everyone complains that we don't keep possession and certainly that we don't move the ball forward well. How can we if the man at the point is at left back?!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Tue 10 Dec 2013, 2:23 pm

Not sure he spends too much time at left back MPB. Seen him at the top of the box a few times I s'pose. Could be worse, could do a gerrard - back off back off back off oh I'm in the front row and they've scored....
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 10 Dec 2013, 2:28 pm

I always ignore Scholes as an England player after he turned his back on his country. That and the shameless "hand of god" goal against Poland when he showed his volleyball skills to smash the ball into the back of the net. And his inept tackling. And I always noticed that he got substituted in the big games... he was never on the pitch for extra time and penalties in those crucial career defining knock out games like Euro quarter finals... felt as though the manager always turned to others in the most intense moments. Otherwise he was pretty good.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 10 Dec 2013, 2:33 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:I'm not sure he scores as many goals as he could/should Mysti. He spends too much time in the wrong areas and this doesn't help the team.
As i say, everyone complains that we don't keep possession and certainly that we don't move the ball forward well. How can we if the man at the point is at left back?!

I cant agree,

england dont have the available players to use rooney as a out and out striker.

Infact almost no teams do anymore.

The tradition owen or raul or shearer types are obselete these days.

The one year rooney did score 30 plus goals in a season and played as an all out forward , united were no better.

as stated he has also provided 15 assists this year in all competitions.

Englands problem is they havent got a rooney on the end of rooney!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue 10 Dec 2013, 10:16 pm

What I'm trying to say is its a team game and it really irrelevant how many goals he scores or assists he makes. The fact that he goes wandering around the pitch is for selfish reasons. He wants the ball. I'm not saying he's not a good player. Overrated but he is good. However he would be better if more disciplined positionally.
The fact that we don't have a forward doesn't help us build attacks, this is indisputable.
England don't have players to use Rooney as a forward - what does that mean??
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 10 Dec 2013, 11:34 pm

I have known, or at least be told, from around the mid nineties that Scholes was one of the best midfielders in europe. The sort of player that can unlock or control any game from the middle of the park.

But non-man utd england fans only seem to have found this out in the last few years or so, after he retired from international duty. Certainly no England manager realised how great a player he was.

No wonder he may have seemed uninterested in England. Imagine if Iniesta turned up to spanish duty and the mananger treated him like a bog standard squad player, and put him at left back.

England missed the chance to utilize one of Europe's all time greats. That has got to hurt.

As for the pitiful Gerard vs Lampard saga, was it not clear to everyone else that lampard was miles better and that Carrick or someone similar would have slotted nicely next to lampard?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 11 Dec 2013, 12:27 am

Rooney's the best English midfield player.
Unfortunately/fortunately he's also the best striker.

Mac,
For everyone fancying the West Ham OB midfield, there'll be just as many recognising that Gerrard played a lot better w/Gareth Barry alongside him.
Barry is having a fine season and I'd say he's the best of his type (different from Carrick) in the English ranks and should take the plane to Rio.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 11 Dec 2013, 7:51 am

I would add Fabien Delph into the mix.

Having a fine season at the Villa.

Not afraid to get stuck in.

Only problem is he gets booked to often.

Again against Fulham on sunday, missing the Utd game this sunday.

But a very underated player.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 11 Dec 2013, 7:58 am

England's best player for years has been Ashley Cole. He has been one of the best full backs in the world over the last 5+ years. Rooney is good but he has never been in the world's best bracket.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next