The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warren Gatland contract extension

+17
maestegmafia
BigTrevsbigmac
quinsforever
jimmyinthewell68
nlpnlp
Luckless Pedestrian
aucklandlaurie
Comfort
Jhamer25
Casartelli
The Saint
GunsGerms
Knowsit17
chris_501
munkian
bedfordwelsh
LordDowlais
21 posters

Go down

Warren Gatland contract extension Empty Warren Gatland contract extension

Post by LordDowlais Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:55 am

Do not know if this has been done, but Warren Gatland has extended his contract until 2019, so we will be seeing Gatland ball for the next five years. Yahoo 

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Warren Gatland contract extension Empty Re: Warren Gatland contract extension

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:01 am

I not got problem with Gatland ball and he has unearthed/developed some top players in his tenure but I am not sure if this is a good thing or not.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:03 am

If it evolves into North Ball I'm all for it  Very Happy 
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:05 am

In the era of contracts and release clauses etc I bet he has one if the ABs come a knocking between now and 2019
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by chris_501 Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:08 am

It's undoubtedly a good thing. Think back to where we were pre- Gatland? We have a far more professional set up nationally. He has shown confidence to try out some talented youngsters, some have come off, some not.

Also there is no clear candidate sticking their hand up to take over should he leave. It will be interesting to see how the Welsh coaches in the AP get on over the next few seasons.

chris_501

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:10 am

I still think the backroom staff needs bit of shake up.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:22 am

Certainly shows a respectable measure of commitment on Gatland's part. Would this not make him one of the longest serving coaches in the professional era (in one job; assuming he isn't sacked/released prematurely)?

Although sadly I fear the coach isn't the issue. No matter who is at the helm, the national side is likely to deteriorate while the WRU and regions fail to strike up a cooperative relationship.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:23 am

Receipe for disaster. Wales have a really tough group in the next WC. What if they dont and it is a real possibility, get out of their group?

Gatland's gameplan hasnt evolved much in the last few years. What happens if they start losing games in the 6n. Is Gatland capable of evolving this Welsh side beyond their current plan A?

Bad move from the WRU IMO because there is nothing like a long term contract to instill complacency.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:30 am

GG,

I wouldn't quite go that far but agree with bits of what you said. I hope they add/change his backroom staff but i guess hes onto a nice little earner if things got bad and he was sacked.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:33 am

Great news for Welsh rugby. Bad news for our 6N opponents and the haters IE the fans of our 6N opponents! Very Happy

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:34 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:GG,

I wouldn't quite go that far but agree with bits of what you said.  I hope they add/change his backroom staff but i guess hes onto a nice little earner if things got bad and he was sacked.

Ireland made the same mistake with Eddie O'Sullivan. He was Irelands most sucessful coach in years so they offered him lots of money and a long extension before the WC. Ireland went on to get knocked out in the group stages and they had to pay O'Sullivan off to get rid of him. A massive waste of money and a world cup campaign.

I can see the same happening to Wales to be honest. Gatland has done well with Wales so far but he isnt infallable despite the view of lots of Wales fans it seems. He doesnt seem to deviate much from his tried and tested methods and in rugby a good thing never lasts for ever.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:37 am

But Gatland has far surpassed Steady Eddie's achievements...
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:39 am

munkian wrote:But Gatland has far surpassed Steady Eddie's achievements...

If you really want to compare the two EOS had a better record with Ireland than Gatland did. Thats not the point though. The logic behind not offering big long term contracts applies to all coaches.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:45 am

Pickering soundbite following the less than earth-shattering announcement that Gatland's being kept on;

""Welsh rugby is fit for purpose both on and off the field to meet the challenges which lie ahead."

Shocked 

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:01 am

GunsGerms wrote:Receipe for disaster. Wales have a really tough group in the next WC. What if they dont and it is a real possibility, get out of their group?

Gatland's gameplan hasnt evolved much in the last few years. What happens if they start losing games in the 6n. Is Gatland capable of evolving this Welsh side beyond their current plan A?

Bad move from the WRU IMO because there is nothing like a long term contract to instill complacency.

Good copy and pasting from the other thread pal
clap 
Couldn't think of any other rubbish to talk about huh

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:03 am

Jhamer25 wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:Receipe for disaster. Wales have a really tough group in the next WC. What if they dont and it is a real possibility, get out of their group?

Good copy and pasting from the others thread pal
clap 

Thanks for your worthwhile contribution. Anything intellegent to add yourself?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:04 am

I cant agree GG, considering where Wales was before Gatland arrived, we've improved considerably.

2 Grand slams
1 6nations title (first back to back 6n champions)
semi final of the world cup

Gatland has improved us as a side, alright, our gameplans stuttered over the last few years, bu the one we have works, we just need variation, not sweeping changes.

Whether Gatland is the man for this (I happen to think so) is another story, but you cant blam Gatland for the actions players take on field (when its against what he's saying in the press anyway), the handling errors they make and the bad kicking (we've seen with Biggar at 10 that there isnt a tactical gameplan that relies on punts, there simply isnt).

I hope we start to see the variety added over this 6nations and summer tours.

1. I'd like to see the gameplan change to include generation of/use of quickball.
2. Philips to drop to our reservce scrumhalf (and preferably promote Rees/R Williams to 1st choice - they appreciate quick ball).
3. To keep bringing halfpenny into the line in attack.
4. Scott Williams to carry on at 12 (fitness/form depending - bu a more rapier approach to Roberts ram)
5.Changing the point of attack at speed (that means forwards taking the ball at pace and at good angles -attacking shoulders and arms)

That's what would make me happier. If it doesnt happen, I'll reassess then, but for now, thats what I woudl expect and think they've been smart in brining Gatland on board until the next world cup (if it goes wrong they can sack him with a lovely payout - hey, its not like that monies is gonna be going to the regions!)

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:11 am

Comfort wrote:I cant agree GG, considering where Wales was before Gatland arrived, we've improved considerably.

2 Grand slams
1 6nations title (first back to back 6n champions)
semi final of the world cup

Gatland has improved us as a side, alright, our gameplans stuttered over the last few years, bu the one we have works, we just need variation, not sweeping changes.

Whether Gatland is the man for this (I happen to think so) is another story, but you cant blam Gatland for the actions players take on field (when its against what he's saying in the press anyway), the handling errors they make and the bad kicking (we've seen with Biggar at 10 that there isnt a tactical gameplan that relies on punts, there simply isnt).

I hope we start to see the variety added over this 6nations and summer tours.

1. I'd like to see the gameplan change to include generation of/use of quickball.
2. Philips to drop to our reservce scrumhalf (and preferably promote Rees/R Williams to 1st choice - they appreciate quick ball).
3. To keep bringing halfpenny into the line in attack.
4. Scott Williams to carry on at 12 (fitness/form depending - bu a more rapier approach to Roberts ram)
5.Changing the point of attack at speed (that means forwards taking the ball at pace and at good angles -attacking shoulders and arms)

That's what would make me happier. If it doesnt happen, I'll reassess then, but for now, thats what I woudl expect and think they've been smart in brining Gatland on board until the next world cup (if it goes wrong they can sack him with a lovely payout - hey, its not like that monies is gonna be going to the regions!)

Well said sir. Just add
6. More dimension, thought and tactics to our kicking game. It's read to easily and ins't very effective.

Look i'm not an expert in kicking. Trust me, im useless, but it's clear to me that we give more possession to our opponents, purely form our kicking game.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:12 am

GunsGerms wrote:
Jhamer25 wrote:

Good copy and pasting from the others thread pal
clap 

Thanks for your worthwhile contribution. Anything intellegent to add yourself?

oooooooh  Hug 

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:33 am

GunsGerms wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:GG,

I wouldn't quite go that far but agree with bits of what you said.  I hope they add/change his backroom staff but i guess hes onto a nice little earner if things got bad and he was sacked.

Ireland made the same mistake with Eddie O'Sullivan. He was Irelands most sucessful coach in years so they offered him lots of money and a long extension before the WC. Ireland went on to get knocked out in the group stages and they had to pay O'Sullivan off to get rid of him. A massive waste of money and a world cup campaign.

I can see the same happening to Wales to be honest. Gatland has done well with Wales so far but he isnt infallable despite the view of lots of Wales fans it seems. He doesnt seem to deviate much from his tried and tested methods and in rugby a good thing never lasts for ever.

Give Gatland his due, he could see that a good thing like Brian O'Driscoll hadnt lasted forever and he had the courage in hs abilities to remedy the situation not only for the betterment of the team but also as a display of Gatland as a master coach in action.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:25 pm

Casartelli wrote:Pickering soundbite following the less than earth-shattering announcement that Gatland's being kept on;

""Welsh rugby is fit for purpose both on and off the field to meet the challenges which lie ahead."

Shocked 

It's as if he's trying to convince himself it's true.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:35 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
Casartelli wrote:Pickering soundbite following the less than earth-shattering announcement that Gatland's being kept on;

Shocked 

It's as if he's trying to convince himself it's true.

Has Dickering ever had anything worth while to say, what is his actual job anyone know what he actually does?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by nlpnlp Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:01 am

I think there are quite a few England fans who would happily take Gatland as England coach - if we had the players we would be quite happy to play Gatland ball. If Gatland hadn't stayed are there any obvious replacements - Dai Young, Phil Davies, Nigel Davies ????

nlpnlp

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:43 am

we didnt do to bad last world cup . i can't see any other coach coming in and waving a magic wand and suddenly we beating SH teams . Wales have had a bad track record against these teams before gatland but with him we coming really close .

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:49 am

a six year contract in professional sports with an extremely challenging world cup group coming up is a complete joke. it's like Capello's deal with the FA. massively overpaid on too long a contract, and then when the FA changed captain he could have claimed constructive dismissal as he saw England were going to be rubbish in the world cup, thereby pocketing his whole contract.

yet another example of WRU cluelessness - although having roger lewis (who knows about as much about rugby as my dog) you can understand he would be very very keen to retain proven winning coach to counteract lewis himself, and the other weak members of the coaching setup.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:07 am

Maybe Gats has pocketed the money that was 'offered' to the Regions if they signed the PA.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:12 am

Say what you like about Roger Lewis, but this is a brilliant PR move by him. On the WRU's side: Warren Gatland, the man who's brought success to Wales. Never mind the fact that until recently the players involved in that success were regional players.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:37 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Say what you like about Roger Lewis, but this is a brilliant PR move by him. On the WRU's side: Warren Gatland, the man who's brought success to Wales. Never mind the fact that until recently the players involved in that success were regional players.
brilliant PR move as long as Wales get out of the pool stage at RWC2015

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:44 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Say what you like about Roger Lewis, but this is a brilliant PR move by him. On the WRU's side: Warren Gatland, the man who's brought success to Wales. Never mind the fact that until recently the players involved in that success were regional players.

The WRU should contract more coaches in Wales, regional ones especially. It would be a very good way to help the regions out if the RRW will not allow the players to be contracted.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:54 am

The good thing about Roger is that at least he isn't one of those well financed corporate-types. I think he would dearly love to be, given his ego, but as an administrative middle-management sort of guy without any real power the red tape of committees and union voting should (in theory at least) keep him on a short leash.

What the WRU desperately needs is a respected rugby man at the top with a 'vision' for Welsh rugby that could get everyone working together.

Maybe that's what Gatland has planned for 2020.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:55 am

Lynn 'the King' Jones  king 
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:47 am

quinsforever wrote:

morning quoins

one has to assume that if wales fail to leave the group then Gatland will resign.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:50 am

Scratch wrote:
quinsforever wrote:

morning quoins

one has to assume that if wales fail to leave the group then Gatland will resign.

Why would he resign? Wishful thinking. If he is let go the the WRU will have to pay him off which is the more likely scenario. Plus he has an agreement with the WRU that if he is selected as Lions coach for the next tour he will be given another sabatical. It seems either way his intention is to put himself in position to be the next Lions coach regardless of how the next RWC goes.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:24 am

he has a 6 year contract. in what weird universe would he resign 18 months in? in my experience, excessively comfortable contracts in sports lead to serious underperformance thru complacency, and, at the first sign of the writing on the wall performance-wise, a welcoming of the financial payoff and being able to blame the players.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:27 am

quite…he's already put the 'aren't i doing well with 3 players' story out there.

and then he'd be a free agent to lead the Lions down under for an extended job interview with NZRFU

Almost makes it worth while us not getting out of the group.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:41 am

Scratch wrote:quite…he's already put the 'aren't i doing well with 3 players' story out there.

and then he'd be a free agent to lead the Lions down under for an extended job interview with NZRFU

Almost makes it worth while us not getting out of the group.
if i were welsh i would be seriously unhappy about this 6 year contract extension.

he now has all the security and zero motivation. if wales bomb out of rwc2015 group stage against Aus and Eng, who is really going to hold it against Gatland given the relative rankings of all 3 teams in world rugby? he has made a genius deal, the WRU a fupping shatty one.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bachelor Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:46 pm

You'd assume there would be various clauses in relation to a poor RWC campaign in 2015; the WRU arn't that stupid.................. Laugh

The Bachelor

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:43 am

The Bachelor wrote:You'd assume there would be various clauses in relation to a poor RWC campaign in 2015; the WRU arn't that stupid.................. Laugh

If there's one thing the WRU aren't, its stupid.

Misguided
Conniving
Back-stabbing
Fork-tongued

I'd expect clauses in said contract. I wouldnt expect the clauses are as clear cut as getting out of the group at the world cup though, especially with 2 sides who generally rank above us in the IRB rankings....

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:47 am

I certainly hope there's a "beat a SANZAR team or else" clause in there. It sends a sad message about Welsh rugby that apparently the desire to win is restricted to NH opposition and it is now accepted that Wales will not beat quality SH opposition. By extending Gatland through to 3045 or whenever it is, it looks like the WRU has run up the white flag.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:52 am

to be fair, we didnt beat SH opponents before Gatland, and we rarely beat NH ones.

baby steps  Wink 

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:18 am

Except SA 1999 under Henry and Australia 2005 under Ruddock. Before that you'd have to go back to the 80's.

I'm not aware of any Wales coaches who have more than one win against an SH side (while coaching Wales, Henry has of course accumulated a lot since he left).

Depressing I know.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:00 am

Comfort wrote:to be fair, we didnt beat SH opponents before Gatland, and we rarely beat NH ones.

baby steps  Wink 

Ruddock not only beat Oz, but came within 2 points of the All Blacks and 1 point of the Boks. And this with a much weaker squad of players than Gatland has been blessed with, particularly in the pack. Michael Owen as captain, Sidoli and Cockbain in the second row, Hal Luscombe on the wing...

Ruddock was a far superior coach to Gatland.

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:07 am

We certainly played more attractive rugby under Ruddock.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:04 am

We had different players under Ruddock and different opposition. Defensive systems were sloppier for ALL teams back then too

We NEARLY stunned 2 teams but were still far less consistent agaisnt regular NH opposition,

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:08 am

I think we would have all like to see Ruddock stay longer and we will never know the whole story of why he left but like has been said we had a bad record against SH before Gatland and not a much better one against NH teams.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:31 am

munkian wrote:We had different players under Ruddock and different opposition. Defensive systems were sloppier for ALL teams back then too

We NEARLY stunned 2 teams but were still far less consistent agaisnt regular NH opposition,

I may be wrong but I think Ruddock's team only lost once against NH opposition, albeit quite badly.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:42 am

Casartelli wrote:
munkian wrote:We had different players under Ruddock and different opposition. Defensive systems were sloppier for ALL teams back then too

I may be wrong but I think Ruddock's team only lost once against NH opposition, albeit quite badly.

1 loss (vs. England) out of 7, I believe. Our wins tended to be heavy too.

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down