The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Yanks are Coming (or How Many Americans is a Crowd?)

+3
yappysnap
Geordie
doctor_grey
7 posters

Go down

The Yanks are Coming (or How Many Americans is a Crowd?) Empty The Yanks are Coming (or How Many Americans is a Crowd?)

Post by doctor_grey Tue 17 Dec 2013, 8:27 am

Saints finally got around to signing another American, Cam Dolan, a strong and talented Number 8.  This would make two Yanks in the Saints squad.  Add in Corbs with his New York family lineage and it's almost an American menage-a-trois.  Sadly, Cam doesn't have the right and proper NYC accent (Florida kid), but he's a good lad none the less.

He is young, and in the American way of Rugby is still developing as most Americans pick up Rugby later than people in Rugby countries.  He has a lot of potential and had maxed out his development in the US.  Obviously, Saints hope he can develop like Manoa did, but that is hard to do - Manoa is one of the better forwards in Europe.  I have watched him play for a couple of years now, and I have never seen him have a bad game or make a dumb decision.  

In the big picture, it does show the Americans are developing some talent.  It helps that their training methods are second to none, freely leveraging from Rugby and mixing in (experimenting, really) techniques from other American sport.   Mind blowing to see one set of athletes using balance, jumping, and change of direction exercise from Basketball, power drive running from American Football, hand-eye coordination from Baseball and Ice Hockey goalies, and so on...........

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

The Yanks are Coming (or How Many Americans is a Crowd?) Empty Re: The Yanks are Coming (or How Many Americans is a Crowd?)

Post by Geordie Tue 17 Dec 2013, 9:16 am

I know a few years back there were lots of stories about how they were introducing rugby in to the real gang areas and ghettos like Compton etc...and the reports were there were some amazing athletes who actually enjoyed the physicality and aggression of rugby.

Rugby will never replace the American Football, Hockey, Baseball or Basketball over there...but football has taken on a big following , and with their population theres no reason why rugby couldnt either.

If they do get a small holding then they will be a useful team. And we want more teams able to challenge.

Actually the Americans remind me of the Germans....and i think once they get to grip with rugby they're another nationality that has that efficient winning mentality...they could follow in the footsteps of Italy and more recently Georgia and Russia.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

The Yanks are Coming (or How Many Americans is a Crowd?) Empty Re: The Yanks are Coming (or How Many Americans is a Crowd?)

Post by yappysnap Tue 17 Dec 2013, 9:22 am

Interesting Dr. As you say with the facilities and budgets available in the states they have no problem creating athletes, but they'll still need to do their time in a more rugby country if they really want to learn the finer points of the game.

Add to that Wyles playing for Sarries too who isn't bad either.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 17 Dec 2013, 9:23 am

Dr are there any particular Cities or states that could become rugby hotbeds??

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 17 Dec 2013, 9:29 am

yappysnap wrote:Interesting Dr. As you say with the facilities and budgets available in the states they have no problem creating athletes, but they'll still need to do their time in a more rugby country if they really want to learn the finer points of the game.

Hayden Smith is back at Sarries too. He's an interesting one because he trialled at New York Jets playing for them 6 times as a tight end.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 17 Dec 2013, 9:30 am

When will he be playing for Sarries Beshocked? Will he need much time to relearn the game?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 17 Dec 2013, 9:31 am

Yeah i noticed that story BS...whats his rugby spot. Isnt he an Aussie by birth?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 17 Dec 2013, 11:20 am

yappysnap wrote:Interesting Dr. As you say with the facilities and budgets available in the states they have no problem creating athletes, but they'll still need to do their time in a more rugby country if they really want to learn the finer points of the game.

I absolutely agree. One of their problems is getting their better players to the higher levels to really develop their talent. There is really no other way to so it, at least as far as I can see.

GeordieFalcon wrote:Actually the Americans remind me of the Germans....
Geordie, I am not sure how many Americans would like this (but I know your context). I'm just joking really, but you make a good point.

Rugby is developing nicely here. Yappy, there are some real hot spots developing. California, the south east Texas to Florida), and the northeast (Philadelphia up through New England). Most of this is due to the presence of expats, but there are so many youth teams forming, it is hard to keep it straight. The headquarters of USA Rugby is in Colorado, but that is to be near the USA Olympic team HQ.

Funny thing about the expats. Two years ago my club was in a tournament and we had an 'all-accent' back line. Actually from 9-15. We had an Argentine 9, English 10 and 12 (me), Irish 13, 11 and 14, and a Welsh 15. This year in the same tournament it was all-American. There was an English kid as an emergency reserve, but he only got on for the last 5 minutes. That was my 16 year old.........

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 17 Dec 2013, 11:50 am

Well that's how a lot of sports have gone around the world isn't it? Expats (or invaders) take it with them and the locals pick it up and get better at it (or the expats breed locals who are better at it).

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 17 Dec 2013, 12:18 pm

If I can stick my toe - very carefully - into the Club-Central Control debate, I believe it is almost only clubs which would offer opportunities for talent from developing countries like Saints are doing.  Motives are not always altruistic as clubs need talent to improve and are casting their view further afield, not just across Offa's dyke (for instance).  Teams which are centrally controlled have virtually no interest to do this as it doesn't grow local talent. A clear benefit of the club system to grow Rugby globally.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by wolfball Tue 17 Dec 2013, 12:50 pm

I played rugby for New York rugby club for a season and the problem here is the country is so bloody big. Even the north east is not far off being the size of Western Europe. Away matches we're offen 2-3 hour drives. But I will say it seems an even mix of ex pats and Americans at least the teams I've played. Also, a lot aren't simply American football rejects but guys who discovered rugby at a us uni and loved the physicality. If America gets it's super league concept right it could rapidly become a lot better. But I'm thinking we're ten years away at least before usa is even approaching an Italy level

wolfball

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Tue 17 Dec 2013, 1:18 pm

Scully at tigers is looking really promising.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 17 Dec 2013, 1:56 pm

Wolfball;,
You played for NYAC?  Thats a seriously good club.  We go up against them regularly.  

I agree it will take time.  But the good news from the American p.o.v. is that it does seem to be growing.  And this is despite the efforts of USA Rugby which is an organisation which needs a shot of good solid management talent.  Seems to growing almost completely from the grass roots and from uni.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down