The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland World Cup Watch

+15
RDW
MacKnocked-on
jimbopip
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
reallybored
TJ
tigertattie
CraigS1874
Majestic83
Biltong
alive555
Scratch
George Carlin
GloriousEmpire
madmaccas
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Scotland World Cup Watch - Page 2 Empty Scotland World Cup Watch

Post by madmaccas Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:23 pm

First topic message reminder :

To take my mind off the neverending mince pies, Christmas specials and family arguments I found myself pondering who the contenders for the 2015 Scotland squad could be.

Previously I've held back from idle speculation but, as it's now under 2 years away, the chances for players to mount a serious challenge are diminishing by the game. By my reckoning there are only 16 international games to be played between now and the World Cup, and even less with Cotter at the helm.

With that in mind here are my predictions for the top 3 in each position - with one outside bet (some more wild than others). I've chosen not to repeat utility players (e.g Maitland/Hogg) across various positions so that it's easier to see true depth in each position. Most of the players are in their favoured position but I've taken the liberty of moving a couple into a different position that I think they could easily convert to.

1: 1) GRANT  2) Welsh  3) Dickinson  (Outside bet Hislop)
2: 1) MCARTHUR  2) Ford  3) Hall  (Outside bet McInally)
3: 1) NEL  2) Cusack  3) Murray   (outside bet Low/Cross)
4: 1) J GRAY  2) Hamilton  3) Gilchrist  (Outside Bet Hines)
5: 1) R GRAY  2) Swinson  3) Ryder   (Outside bet van der Westhuizen)
6: 1) BROWN  2) Low  3) Harley  (Outside bet Roddy Grant)
7: 1) RENNIE  2) Barclay  3) Holmes  (Outside bet Fusaro/Hardie)
8: 1) BEATTIE  2) Strauss  3) Denton  (Outside bet Wilson/Hogg)

9: 1) LAIDLAW  2) Pyrgos  3) Hart  (Outside bet McKibbin/Stevenson)
10: 1) JACKSON  2) Heathcote  3) Weir  (Outside bet Lee Millar/Robbie Robinson)
11: 1) VISSER  2) Seymour  3) Fife  (Outside bet Farndale)
12: 1) SCOTT  2) Horne  3) Taylor  (outside bet Beard)
13: 1) BENNETT  2) Dunbar  3) De Luca  (outside bet Vernon)
14: 1) MAITLAND  2) McGuigan  3) Brown  (outside bet Mantella)
15: 1) HOGG  2) Tonks  3) Murchie  (outside bet McColl)

madmaccas

http://www.scotlandrugbynews.com

Back to top Go down

Scotland World Cup Watch - Page 2 Empty Re: Scotland World Cup Watch

Post by George Carlin Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:04 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Some fair comments GC, and given my crystal ball prediction re: McInally making the WC squad as a hooker, I'll give you more slack on your Finn Russell theory.

I think S H-C has slightly more merit as a candidate however. We'll take 3 scrum halves, and I'd assume Laidlaw and Cusiter wil go. That leaves one of S H-C, Kennedy and Pyrgos in terms of pro scrum halves. Based on rugby this season, I think S H-C is a fair shout.
 Hug 
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:15 am

this place is turning into a love fest  kiss 
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:53 am

Think Atkins might well be added to the list of possible locks for the World Cup, he's looked pretty good for Edinburgh recently and also Blair Cowan in the possible backrow choices. I'm sure both will play in the A games coming up.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:57 am

In terms of locks I think it’s fair to say Gray, Hamilton and Swinson are probably nailed on (rightly are wrongly). Injuries permitting that leaves one space, or maybe two, for Kellock, Gray jnr, Gilchrist, Ryder, Atkins.

Ryder and Atkins are probably unlikely this stage, but there’s a lot of rugby to be played before the squad is announced!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:08 pm

Agreed, I'm only saying that they are realistic possibilities and obviously there may well be a 'bolter' or two that nobody has considered at all,I've said it before but I wish the SRU would approach one or two of the League team especially Matty Russell.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:34 pm

Can someone tell the groundsmen that we're not French, ta. Enough is enough with the garlic.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:36 pm

Nematode wrote:Can someone tell the groundsmen that we're not French, ta. Enough is enough with the garlic.

Laugh 

Whoever you are, you definitely win the prize for the best name and first post combo ever!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:56 pm

Alan Solomons brought us over from SA disguised as Biltong. He recognises that Scotland plays well in poor conditions like vs the Aussies 2 years ago and thought that if we churned up the pitch it would reduce opposition backline threats! We're doing a good job cos we're being fed well, (as I say too much garlic). That's why his attention is in bok-ifying the pack as the backs aren't too big a deal.

Can you tell Sean Lamont to stop giving me grief. I was at the other end of the pitch that day and didn't trip him up. I'm just a defenseless little nematode  Crying or Very sad

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:07 am

Nematode wrote:Can you tell Sean Lamont to stop giving me grief. I was at the other end of the pitch that day and didn't trip him up. I'm just a defenseless little nematode  Crying or Very sad

Laugh clap 

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:18 pm

I loved Sean Lamont's excuse. It would have worked as well, had the opposition not been outpacing him on the same grass....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:52 am

Seriously, there are some real numptybollixes about.

Scottish Rugby Blog has tweeted about Scotland squad for the 6N and some people have actually mentioned Cuthbert at 15????

Honourable mention to some guy stating he wants Hogg at 10 and Lamont at 15.

Jaysis  picard

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:56 am

Tattie – to be fair, if they had said that 2 months ago I would have thought it was ridiculous, but he has actually been pretty decent for Edinburgh.

He’s not an international standard XV, and is criminally slow, but if Hogg and Tonks were to get injured / moved to a different position I would be less terrified about the prospect of Cuthbert starting at 15 than I was earlier in the season.

He’s very strong under the high ball and probably has the longest kicking range from hand out of any Scottish player.

I still hope we don’t find ourselves in the position that we have to pick him though…!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:00 am

Yeah RDW no disrespect but that was my thinking. He's nowhere near fast enough and as last line of defence, would be skipped round way too easily. I imagine Maitland would also be ahead of him at FB (pecking order- wise).

He does have safe hands though but how would that stand up under the pressure of International rugby. Nerves increase 10 fold!!

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:06 am

"safe hands"  laughing 

That certain try that might have won Edinburgh the game...

Good under the high ball and a good boot, but just a club player. Just doesn't have the gas or agility.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:16 am

There is a very interesting conundrum for our group.

Who ever win this group meets the AB's in the semi final.

In the quarters we meet the winners and second place finishers between OZ, Wales and England.

So the question you need to ask is which way will you progress the furthest in the tournament?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:16 am

Anther thing, I think Josh Strauss is a great player, he will be of great benefit to Scotland.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:18 am

That’s an interesting point Biltong – I’m sure SA would rather play England/Wales/Aus in the quarters and an easier team in the Semis, than play the ABs in the semis. To do that though they’d somehow have to manage to finish 2nd in the group, which is very unlikely!

From a Scotland POV all I want is to qualify for the quarters – am not really bothered who we play after that!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:29 am

agree RDW, that's why I think if Scotland comes second in the group it isn't a bad thing at all.

Between Wales, England and Australia, I suspect Scotland might feel the odds are roughly the same as to who they might beat, except perhaps the home ground advantage to England of course.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:57 pm

Biltong wrote:agree RDW, that's why I think if Scotland comes second in the group it isn't a bad thing at all.

Between Wales, England and Australia, I suspect Scotland might feel the odds are roughly the same as to who they might beat, except perhaps the home ground advantage to England of course.

Would that be 10000000/1??

I jest. WC semi-final beckons for Cotter.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:43 pm

Surprisingly enough I'd probably rather face Australia - definitely don't want to face England in their back yard, and our recent record against Australia is better than against Wales!

And let's face it, I'd much rather lose to Australia than the other two!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:05 pm

I'd like to play NZ, try and get the biggest upset in rugby history.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:13 pm

Cmon, GC, be sensible, you know perfectly well that fES will not countenance international selection without 5,692,348 Rabo appearances and 4,136,782 Heino one. Back to the sandpit for young Russell, let his talent fester for many more years yet OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:54 pm

Finn Russell is the most over-rated player since Mark Bennett
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:37 pm

tigertattie wrote:Finn Russell is the most over-rated player since Mark Bennett

How? I've heard he went down a storm in NZ picking up MOM's. What's your grudge over Bennett?

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:39 pm

Nematode - cause you're new I think you've missed the in joke which I'm sure tattie is making - Mark Bennett is referred to as 'the messiah' on here because some posters were getting a little bit carried away with his potential.

There's quite a lot of in jokes in fact - I'm sure you'll catch up!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:29 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Cmon, GC, be sensible, you know perfectly well that fES will not countenance international selection without 5,692,348 Rabo appearances and 4,136,782 Heino one.  Back to the sandpit for young Russell, let his talent fester for many more years yet OK

Right now I'd think I'd just settle for one Rabo 12 start at stand-off for Finn Russell!! Surely that's the next step for such a wonderful talent.

Same with Mark Bennett. Now I know Byron McGuigan is a wonderful outside centre, the complete player, but I reckon Bennett is just going to have to overcome that massive obstacle and get into the Glasgow team, before we stick him up against Fofana and Bastereaud.

I know I know. Silly me. How can we possibly hope to develop into a world class international outfit if we don't just skip the professional sides and select players from Ayr (in particular) and Gala etc.

p.s. There's no way Russell is ready for the sandpit yet. It's dog eat dog in there, and a wee slip of a lad like Russell will just be bullied. We can't have his confidence damaged at this stage. Such a wonderful talent.

p.p.s I wonder how far tales of his epic exploits in New Zealand will take him. Judging by his string of MOTMs, I'm surprised NZ didn't try and nationalise him on residency grounds. Another couple of years down under, and no doubt dozens more MOTM performances, and Carter and Cruden would be on bench duty, no doubt.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:32 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Cmon, GC, be sensible, you know perfectly well that fES will not countenance international selection without 5,692,348 Rabo appearances and 4,136,782 Heino one.  Back to the sandpit for young Russell, let his talent fester for many more years yet OK

Right now I'd think I'd just settle for one Rabo 12 start at stand-off for Finn Russell!! Surely that's the next step for such a wonderful talent.

Same with Mark Bennett. Now I know Byron McGuigan is a wonderful outside centre, the complete player, but I reckon Bennett is just going to have to overcome that massive obstacle and get into the Glasgow team, before we stick him up against Fofana and Bastereaud.

I know I know. Silly me. How can we possibly hope to develop into a world class international outfit if we don't just skip the professional sides and select players from Ayr (in particular) and Gala etc.

p.s. There's no way Russell is ready for the sandpit yet. It's dog eat dog in there, and a wee slip of a lad like Russell will just be bullied. We can't have his confidence damaged at this stage. Such a wonderful talent.

p.p.s I wonder how far tales of his epic exploits in New Zealand will take him. Judging by his string of MOTMs, I'm surprised NZ didn't try and nationalise him on residency grounds. Another couple of years down under, and no doubt dozens more MOTM performances, and Carter and Cruden would be on bench duty, no doubt.
Scotland World Cup Watch - Page 2 Facepa11
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2