The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No Honours For Gatland

+14
brennomac
doctor_grey
rainbow-warrior
majesticimperialman
aucklandlaurie
Notch
Scratch
The Saint
ScarletSpiderman
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
thomh
GunsGerms
funnyExiledScot
GloriousEmpire
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

No Honours For Gatland Empty No Honours For Gatland

Post by GloriousEmpire Tue 31 Dec 2013, 9:39 am

But he shouldn't feel too bad, fellow non-English sporting hero Andy Murray missed out as well.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

No Honours For Gatland Empty Re: No Honours For Gatland

Post by Guest Tue 31 Dec 2013, 10:03 am

Broken Britain.

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 31 Dec 2013, 10:18 am

Murray will get his come the end of his career when he retires, assuming Scots don't have their own honours system by then.......

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 31 Dec 2013, 10:30 am

As a Kiwi why would he want one anyway? Dont get that.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Tue 31 Dec 2013, 10:47 am

GunsGerms wrote:As a Kiwi why would he want one anyway? Dont get that.

New Zealand have the Queen as monarch as well, so they can receive honours through the same system at UK citizens.

We don't know if he has turned one down though. People always assume that someone has 'missed out' when they might have just refused it.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 31 Dec 2013, 10:59 am

I'm fairly sure that if Gatland had turned one down, we'd have heard about it!!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 31 Dec 2013, 11:31 am

thomh wrote:

New Zealand have the Queen as monarch as well, so they can receive honours through the same system at UK citizens.

We don't know if he has turned one down though. People always assume that someone has 'missed out' when they might have just refused it.

Yes I realise that but I asumed that to Kiwi's that that arangement was just some sort of folly, a relic of the past that no one cared about. I guess not.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Tue 31 Dec 2013, 11:36 am

NZ has its own honours system. But I believe Kiwis are eligible for either. Could be wrong about that. Frankly don't really care.

Honours for players and coaches are often a bit of a farce. Look at SCW, what exactly was he knighted for? his subsequent work showed that 2003 was more of a fluke than anything to do with his approach. Andy Flower similarly.  Then you've got the farce of guys like Balshaw getting an award for being water boy. It's just a bit naff.

Like royal weddings, best avoided. Good on Richie for turning both down.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 31 Dec 2013, 11:48 am

Balshaws award was for avoiding being in the first team and losing it for us.

Gatland is a country, it can have its own honours system. Besides hes already taken Rob Howleys coach of the year award.

Lets face it anyway, the only he the only thing he ever wanted was the all black job and the respect of people like Gloria.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 31 Dec 2013, 12:08 pm

thomh wrote:

I doubt Gats would have turned down the chance to get his name in the paper etc, even if he did turn it down I have a feeling he would have had a press release to point out that he did turn it down.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue 31 Dec 2013, 3:00 pm

Well we all know Gats is fully deserving of a knighthood, even Keith Wood thinks so.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Tue 31 Dec 2013, 6:51 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:NZ has its own honours system. But I believe Kiwis are eligible for either. Could be wrong about that. Frankly don't really care.

Honours for players and coaches are often a bit of a farce. Look at SCW, what exactly was he knighted for? his subsequent work showed that 2003 was more of a fluke than anything to do with his approach. Andy Flower similarly.  Then you've got the farce of guys like Balshaw getting an award for being water boy. It's just a bit naff.

Like royal weddings, best avoided.  Good on Richie for turning both down.

Cyclops, richie didn't turn it down in perpetuity, vain as he is he categorically said i will take it when i retire.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Tue 31 Dec 2013, 6:52 pm

Did BOD get an award for sulking?

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 31 Dec 2013, 6:56 pm

Well Gatland is from New Zealand and is a NZ citizen, so wouldn't any honour he be given be down to services to his home country and not his adopted one?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue 31 Dec 2013, 7:18 pm

Im sure Gatty wil get a knighthood immediately after the next Lions Series,either in the New Zealand or the great Britain honours list...it just depends on the outcome of the series.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue 31 Dec 2013, 9:04 pm

The Saint wrote:Well we all know Gats is fully deserving of a knighthood, even Keith Wood thinks so.

laughing laughing laughing You are so funny.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Tue 31 Dec 2013, 11:48 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:
The Saint wrote:Well we all know Gats is fully deserving of a knighthood, even Keith Wood thinks so.

laughing laughing laughing You are so funny.

About as funny as one of those rashes you can't tell your mum about

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Wed 01 Jan 2014, 5:27 am

The NZ New Years Honours list is associated to the UK list, it is just picked by kiwis. Hardly any of them decline the awards, even captain AB will accept upon retirement. They are knighted by the G'vnor General the Queens rep and I believe NZ's first National Anthem "God save the Queen' is played.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 01 Jan 2014, 11:05 am

I suppose it goes down to how the awards are given. I don't believe anyone should receive a KBE for any sporting, artistic, commercial achievement. I believe a KBE should be given only for extraordinary service directly to any countries for whom Queen Elizabeth is sovereign or to people directly in service to those countries. To me many people who have been given the highest honours, should have received MBEs. Sportsmen included.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Wed 01 Jan 2014, 12:08 pm

doctor_grey wrote:I suppose it goes down to how the awards are given.  I don't believe anyone should receive a KBE for any sporting, artistic, commercial achievement.  I believe a KBE should be given only for extraordinary service directly to any countries for whom Queen Elizabeth is sovereign or to people directly in service to those countries.  To me many people who have been given the highest honours, should have received MBEs.  Sportsmen included.  

They've given knighthoods to people for essentially making lots of money for themselves, sportsmen are the least of the problems with the system. It is utterly meaningless.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 01 Jan 2014, 12:16 pm

Hood83 wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:I suppose it goes down to how the awards are given.  I don't believe anyone should receive a KBE for any sporting, artistic, commercial achievement.  I believe a KBE should be given only for extraordinary service directly to any countries for whom Queen Elizabeth is sovereign or to people directly in service to those countries.  To me many people who have been given the highest honours, should have received MBEs.  Sportsmen included.  

They've given knighthoods to people for essentially making lots of money for themselves, sportsmen are the least of the problems with the system. It is utterly meaningless.
Yeah, it's a shame. I think it is wrong. A KBE should be reserved for the highest achievement or extraordinary acts or service to country, countrymen, etc..

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Wed 01 Jan 2014, 12:52 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
Hood83 wrote:

Yeah, it's a shame.  I think it is wrong.  A KBE should be reserved for the highest achievement or extraordinary acts or service to country, countrymen, etc..  

I agree.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Wed 01 Jan 2014, 1:48 pm

Conspicuous number of conservative donors in the list this year again.

Including yet more MPs involved in the expenses scandal

Kind of devalues the entire system (and civilization they represent) when such insidious corruption is so painfully evident.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 01 Jan 2014, 2:59 pm

Yes, mate. We all know and agree.
It is wrong.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Wed 01 Jan 2014, 3:39 pm

Surely the only way to fix it is for every single person awarded an honour on merit to turn it down until the cronyism is thrown out.

Awards need to be de-politicised.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Wed 01 Jan 2014, 7:22 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:Conspicuous number of conservative donors in the list this year again.

Kind of devalues the entire system (and civilization they represent) when such insidious corruption is so painfully evident.

you remind me of a fly

you live on a pile of shoite and feed off that same shoite, and then you spread shoite to other places

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Thu 02 Jan 2014, 6:14 am

Scratch wrote:
GloriousEmpire wrote:Conspicuous number of conservative donors in the list this year again.

you remind me of a fly

you live on a pile of shoite and feed off that same shoite, and then you spread shoite to other places

Laugh 
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Thu 02 Jan 2014, 2:45 pm

Scratch wrote:

you remind me of a fly

Flies don't actually feed in such a way though, so the metaphor is a straw man.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Thu 02 Jan 2014, 6:05 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:
Scratch wrote:

you remind me of a fly

Flies don't actually feed in such a way though, so the metaphor is a straw man.

Of course you would know the intricacies of a fly's ingestion. But i can still work with a pedant.

You live on a pile of shoite. You regurgitate digestive juices onto that shoite then suck it up. You then fly to another pile of shoite, or in this case another thread, where the process is repeated.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by brennomac Fri 03 Jan 2014, 3:54 pm

Why is it that the Kiwis still go for this knighthood nonsense, the Aussies and Canadians gave up on this nonsense long ago. Why doesn't have something like the Order of the Silver Fern instead of still tugging its forelock to the mother countrty

brennomac

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 03 Jan 2014, 4:45 pm

I think NZ do have their own honours system (the Order of New Zealand), but their citizens are also eligible for honours from the Queen.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sun 05 Jan 2014, 11:17 am

If Gatland deserves a Knighthood, perhaps they should give Fred Goodwin back his as well?

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sun 05 Jan 2014, 1:08 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:If Gatland deserves a Knighthood, perhaps they should give Fred Goodwin back his as well?

Why not. It's not hard to guess knighthoods at present. Are you a coach who has won something that hasn't been won in a while? Great, knighted. Are you involved in a senior position in financial services and feted by press and politicians irrespective of your businesses practices? Excellent, knighted. That's pretty much the criteria.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Mon 06 Jan 2014, 3:25 am

Hood83 wrote:
The Great Aukster wrote:If Gatland deserves a Knighthood, perhaps they should give Fred Goodwin back his as well?

Why not. It's not hard to guess knighthoods at present. Are you a coach who has won something that hasn't been won in a while? Great, knighted. Are you involved in a senior position in financial services and feted by press and politicians irrespective of your businesses practices? Excellent, knighted. That's pretty much the criteria.

True, Glorious deserves one for being a trolling Meat trombone soloist

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Mon 06 Jan 2014, 7:16 am

brennomac wrote:Why is it that the Kiwis still go for this knighthood nonsense, the Aussies and Canadians gave up on this nonsense long ago.  Why doesn't have something like the Order of the Silver Fern instead of still tugging its forelock to the mother countrty

Something like the equivalent of "The diddly diddly dee of the peat bog" ... ideal.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Mon 06 Jan 2014, 9:12 am

rainbow-warrior wrote:
brennomac wrote:Why is it that the Kiwis still go for this knighthood nonsense, the Aussies and Canadians gave up on this nonsense long ago.  Why doesn't have something like the Order of the Silver Fern instead of still tugging its forelock to the mother countrty

Something like the equivalent of "The diddly diddly dee of the peat bog" ... ideal.

We do have such a thing. But for some reason the Brits still insist on offering us their outdated colonial awards despite the wide devaluation of this system through corrupt awards for donations scandals and the smattering of knighthoods to paedophiles protected by the nations national broadcaster.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 06 Jan 2014, 9:16 am

Must be even more galling that you havent had yours for services to the internet then Gloria.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Mon 06 Jan 2014, 9:31 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Must be even more galling that you havent had yours for services to the internet then Gloria.

I'm sure if I rattled the right handles I could conjure up an honour of some kind in a couple of years. Not my style though.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Tue 07 Jan 2014, 6:12 pm

I think you're right Gloria, in fact it looks like you've already got one?...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25629480

There should be a medal reserved for anyone who turns down an honour.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed 08 Jan 2014, 11:21 am

Ian McGeechan was knighted after the 2009 series.

But he won series in AUS in 89 and SA in 97 and took Scotland to a GS in 1990 and 4th in the RWC in 1991.

Thats better then Gatland... but it took him 2 more tours as assistant head and head coach to get an award.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 08 Jan 2014, 4:34 pm

fa0019 wrote:Ian McGeechan was knighted after the 2009 series.

But he won series in AUS in 89 and SA in 97 and took Scotland to a GS in 1990 and 4th in the RWC in 1991.

Thats better then Gatland... but it took him 2 more tours as assistant head and head coach to get an award.

No it isn't.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Thu 09 Jan 2014, 2:44 pm

Since when do Turnips get honours! Laugh

Lets be honest this is a good thing, some people already believe he can walk on water for achieving a 2-1 series win against possibly the worst SH team in my lifetime.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Thu 09 Jan 2014, 3:14 pm

Scrumpy wrote:Since when do Turnips get honours!  Laugh

Lets be honest this is a good thing, some people already believe he can walk on water for achieving a 2-1 series win against possibly the worst SH team in my lifetime.

Careful with that hyperbole, you'll take someone's eye out

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 10 Jan 2014, 11:46 am

Aus didn't look bad at all on their latest tour. Some 'rugby fans' are so anti-great gats it has gone beyond ridiculous. Only thing Gats can do is carry on winning and keep riling them up.

Best coach in the NH thumbsup

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 10 Jan 2014, 11:56 am

http://www.espn.co.uk/france-top-14-2013-14/rugby/story/210635.html

It's been a few days, so I'm just wondering where all the article slamming Laporte are? I mean, if it was Gats then this place would have gone into meltdown. It would have put Scrumpy in a coma too Laugh.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 13 Jun 2014, 11:49 pm

Did Gatty get an O.B.E.?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Fri 13 Jun 2014, 11:52 pm

No but Angelina got a Dame hood, what the Frak Frak

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 13 Jun 2014, 11:54 pm

What Angelina Jolie?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 13 Jun 2014, 11:55 pm

What for?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Fri 13 Jun 2014, 11:57 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:
What for?

work against r*** in war…stunning devaluation of the gong system, next thing you'll know we'll be giving them to kiwi rugby coaches

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next