The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gareth Edwards to be knighted in the Queens Birthday Honours List

+12
bedfordwelsh
doctor_grey
BigGee
eirebilly
LondonTiger
HammerofThunor
The Saint
Cyril
captain carrantuohil
George Carlin
wayne
maestegmafia
16 posters

Go down

Gareth Edwards to be knighted in the Queens Birthday Honours List Empty Gareth Edwards to be knighted in the Queens Birthday Honours List

Post by maestegmafia Sat 13 Jun 2015, 9:40 am

BBC said..

"Edwards, 67, has been knighted for services to sport and for charitable services.

The former scrum-half won 53 caps for Wales and is regarded as one of rugby union's greatest players of all time.

He also toured twice with the Lions, part of the only Lions team to win a series in New Zealand in 1971 and a member of the side which was unbeaten on the 1974 tour of South Africa."

I think it is wonderful to see Edwards bestowed the honour. There have been many far lesser players granted such previously.

Now the greatest of them all is recognised.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Gareth Edwards to be knighted in the Queens Birthday Honours List Empty Re: Gareth Edwards to be knighted in the Queens Birthday Honours List

Post by maestegmafia Sat 13 Jun 2015, 9:47 am

Apparently Karl Jenkins will also be knighted...! He is a fantastic musician and composer that has played with Soft Machine and with Mike Oldfield in the seventies as well as composing and orchestrating many choirs and orchestras around the world...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Gareth Edwards to be knighted in the Queens Birthday Honours List Empty Re: Gareth Edwards to be knighted in the Queens Birthday Honours List

Post by wayne Sat 13 Jun 2015, 10:01 am

maestegmafia wrote:BBC said..

"Edwards, 67, has been knighted for services to sport and for charitable services.

The former scrum-half won 53 caps for Wales and is regarded as one of rugby union's greatest players of all time.

He also toured twice with the Lions, part of the only Lions team to win a series in New Zealand in 1971 and a member of the side which was unbeaten on the 1974 tour of South Africa."

I think it is wonderful to see Edwards bestowed the honour. There have been many far lesser players granted such previously.

Now the greatest of them all is recognised.
About time too Maes, this is years too late.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 13 Jun 2015, 10:04 am

Probably the best ambassaor for the game the NH can produce.
A gentleman.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Sat 13 Jun 2015, 10:46 am

Still my rugby hero and years later, remains the standard by which I measure every player. Could do it all on the field; off it, has always appeared modest, approachable and an all-round good bloke.

Even something as archaic as the UK's honours system gets things right from time to time. Heart-warming to see recognition for the man who stands unchallenged in my memory as the supreme rugby player. Well played, Sir Gareth.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 13 Jun 2015, 11:09 am

'Sir' Jonny also honoured Smile

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 13 Jun 2015, 11:17 am

captain carrantuohil wrote:Still my rugby hero and years later, remains the standard by which I measure every player. Could do it all on the field; off it, has always appeared modest, approachable and an all-round good bloke.

Even something as archaic as the UK's honours system gets things right from time to time. Heart-warming to see recognition for the man who stands unchallenged in my memory as the supreme rugby player. Well played, Sir Gareth.

Archaic can be improved and when the lists are entitling achievements that the population recognise so highly then it becomes a very worthy accolade. More so than when it is just a reward to the friends and benefactors of the resident of ten Downing Street and their cronies..

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 13 Jun 2015, 11:18 am

maestegmafia wrote:There have been many far lesser players granted such previously.
Which 'lesser' players have been knighted?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 13 Jun 2015, 11:23 am

Cyril wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:There have been many far lesser players granted such previously.

Maybe not players, but coaches certainly (Clive).

Anyway, arise Sir Gareth Wink.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 13 Jun 2015, 11:53 am

Didn't someone say (during all the outrage at the fake Wilkinson story) that he had turned it down previously (or perhaps a different honour)? Or was that a different player?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 13 Jun 2015, 11:58 am

HammerofThunor wrote:Didn't someone say (during all the outrage at the fake Wilkinson story) that he had turned it down previously (or perhaps a different honour)? Or was that a different player?

I think you are confusing Wilko with Richie McCaw.

http://en.espn.co.uk/newzealand/rugby/story/156137.html

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 13 Jun 2015, 12:01 pm

Sorry, wasn't clear. When the previous honours list came out and Wilkinson was claimed to be on it being knighted, there was a significant amount of outrage on here that other players deserved it more. I know Edwards was mentioned. Someone else said he had turned it down previously (but it might have been a different player turning it down, a Welsh one).

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 13 Jun 2015, 12:08 pm

Jonny is probably the greatest ambassador the sport has ever seen but the one least unlikely to want that honour bestowed upon him.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 13 Jun 2015, 1:42 pm

You are remembering correctly HoT.

Cyril wrote:one least unlikely

So a double negative meaning most likely

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 13 Jun 2015, 1:50 pm

The Saint wrote:
Cyril wrote:

Maybe not players, but coaches certainly (Clive).

Anyway, arise Sir Gareth Wink.

SCW was a Lions Tourist twice. He was capped at least once. Quite an elusive runner ball in hand.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 13 Jun 2015, 1:56 pm

LondonTiger wrote:You are remembering correctly HoT.

I just found this!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/england/11318472/Jonny-Wilkinson-in-New-Years-Honours-embarrassment-hours-after-appearing-to-confirm-knighthood.html

"Wilkinson took that flood of messages to mean that he was due to receive a tap on both shoulders. On Monday night, he tweeted: “So many more deserving amongst u who won’t get recognition. To you I say thanks 4 the lessons in life. 4 the messages – u guys are incredible.”

Lo and behold, the honours list appeared yesterday with Wilkinson’s name conspicuous by its absence. With any other sports star, his abortive acknowledgement could be construed as arrogance. Not with Wilkinson, the most humble, courteous and modest sportsman of his or perhaps any generation; he will be mortified enough without others pointing out his mistake.

Yesterday having presumably being informed of the error of his ways, he tweeted: “Might not be on the NY list by the way. Congrats 2 those will be + the many who deserve 2 be. Your support still baffles the hell out of me!”

Doesn't sound like he humbly turned it down, more that it was never offered in the first place..

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 13 Jun 2015, 1:59 pm

George Carlin wrote:Probably the best ambassaor for the game the NH can produce.
A gentleman.

Aye, a sporting legend and a great ambassador for rugby... Lovely bloke with some superb rugby stories.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 13 Jun 2015, 5:13 pm

Nobody said Wilkinson turned it down.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 13 Jun 2015, 5:20 pm

I have nothing but admiration for Gareth Edwards, fully deserved honour for such an outstanding ambassador to our great game.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 13 Jun 2015, 5:26 pm

Just looked back at the previous thread and it was one poster suggesting he had previously turned one down but that was it.

Well, at least Edwards has now been considered just behind Joan Collins in importance, right Maesteg? Smile

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 13 Jun 2015, 6:18 pm

My childhood was spent watching great Welsh teams and Welsh players and you would have to say that Gareth Edwards was the best of them all.

No matter how many times I have seen the barbarians game when he scored the first try, I never fail to be amazed at the speed he came onto that ball. He had pace and skill that would have scared the cr*p out of any defence today and could just as easily been a great player in any era. If you were looking to pick your best SH of all time, he would be right up there. For me, he was it!

Add to that his personality and what he has given back to the game over the years, you would have to say this is a very well deserved and overdue reward. I won a few sporting trophies whilst at school, but only one ever academic prize, for RE unbelievably, being a practising atheist now for many years! I spent the book token prize on Gareth Edwards autobiography and I still have it and was even more pleased to read all the nice things he said about the Scottish players he went on Lions tours with. A gentleman then and still is!

Arise Sir Gareth!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 13 Jun 2015, 7:07 pm

LondonTiger wrote:You are remembering correctly HoT.

Cyril wrote:one least unlikely

So a double negative meaning most likely
Thanks for that Smile Yep, it's all 'me, me, me' with Wilko...

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 13 Jun 2015, 7:27 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:Nobody said Wilkinson turned it down.

There was, as you intitally suggested, a claim that Edwards had turned down honours before on the bogus Wilko to be knighted thread. Cannot remember people saying wilko turned down an honour, but someone probably did. I do remember the angst caused by the creation of Dame Collins.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 13 Jun 2015, 11:11 pm

A later day gareth Edwards moment of pure class

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/9389203.stm

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun 14 Jun 2015, 1:19 am

LondonTiger wrote:

There was, as you intitally suggested, a claim that Edwards had turned down honours before on the bogus Wilko to be knighted thread. Cannot remember people saying wilko turned down an honour, but someone probably did. I do remember the angst caused by the creation of Dame Collins.

Not to mention James Cordon OBE

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 14 Jun 2015, 1:43 am

Hate that guy James Cordon.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 14 Jun 2015, 7:50 am

HammerofThunor wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:

Not to mention James Cordon OBE
I hadn't heard that. Surely not.

What for? Services to Making Other People Feel Talented? He is the least funny person I have ever seen on television, categorically the weakest writer and I cannot believe that they gave him the Late Late Show.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun 14 Jun 2015, 11:37 am

That was last time, when Collins got damed and Wilkinson got faked.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 14 Jun 2015, 2:05 pm

Well, as some of you know I am not in favour of giving high honours to celebrities or business types (or anything similar). I believe the high honours should be restricted to people who have offered unique or special service to the country or commonwealth.

But, for the sake of consistency, if celebrities do have the opportunity to be so rewarded, then good for Gareth Edwards. Especially Gareth Edwards. But it still never feels right to me.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 14 Jun 2015, 2:52 pm

dg,

I am of similar train of thought to you but as its the way of the world we are in then I thin he is if not more than deserving as others.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sun 14 Jun 2015, 5:07 pm

LondonTiger wrote:

I'm sure I have heard of a welsh player turning it down before too.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 14 Jun 2015, 6:32 pm

doctor_grey wrote:Well, as some of you know I am not in favour of giving high honours to celebrities or business types (or anything similar).  I believe the high honours should be restricted to people who have offered unique or special service to the country or commonwealth.  

But, for the sake of consistency, if celebrities do have the opportunity to be so rewarded, then good for Gareth Edwards.  Especially Gareth Edwards.  But it still never feels right to me.  

I would have thought that, similar to many others on the list, it is not just his sporting prowess and infamy that he is rewarded for, it is how he has furthered the opportunities that gave him to represent charities and good causes.

I have seen Gareth Edwards speak at a lunch of bankers in London to encourage investment in South Wales businesses. He has represented Marie Curie and The Cardiff Institue for the Blind.

Many people of notoriety do much out of the limelight to help raise funds or morale for those in need.

I think they deserve national reward and recognition for that as much as whatever else they achieved in life.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun 14 Jun 2015, 7:15 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:

I'm sure I have heard of a welsh player turning it down before too.
Possibly Andy Powell. He was offered a gong for services to alternative transport.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 14 Jun 2015, 8:48 pm

https://youtu.be/Ghe96LfUTcI

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Tue 16 Jun 2015, 5:20 am

Surprised Sir Clive wasn''t elevated to a peerage and Jonno invested Court Fool.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Fri 19 Jun 2015, 12:44 pm

Gwlad wrote:Surprised Sir Clive wasn''t elevated to a peerage and Jonno invested Court Fool.

What!!!!!

With Henson and Powell around he would never get close to the shortlist
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 19 Jun 2015, 4:29 pm

Not going to pretend I know what sort of player he was but I do enjoy his interviews. Seems like a good man.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Jun 2015, 8:58 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Not going to pretend I know what sort of player he was but I do enjoy his interviews. Seems like a good man.

I was a regular Cardiff RFC supporter, lucky enough to watch Edwards play many times for club and country though not abroad for the Lions.

He joined Cardiff in 1966 and achieved so much in his career, but the first time he really impressed me was when he partnered Barry John for Cardiff v Llanelli in 1967.

Barry had left Llanelli to play with Gareth, and the West Wales team weren't at all pleased at losing their star outside-half to the capital's 'posh boys'.  This was the first match between the teams since then.  The game kicked off at the old Arms Park, which was Cardiff's home ground, and it was quickly obvious that Llanelli's back row were intent on teaching Barry John a lesson. They didn't do anything illegal but for the first 10 minutes of the match they made his life absolute hell whenever he touched the ball.  He was tackled very hard maybe half-a-dozen times.

Friends and I had gone to the game expecting to see a great half-back partnership in action. We didn't. What we saw after that first 10 minutes was Gareth Edwards, with the Cardiff forwards, taking charge of the game which Cardiff eventually won.  Edwards took all the pressure off John, breaking the hearts of the Llanelli pack with great tactical kicking.  I don't think he passed the ball to Barry for the rest of the game.  It was an immensely controlled display of rugby skill and nous by Edwards against an excellent pumped-up Llanelli side, the first of many times he showed he could take games at all levels by the scruff of the neck to win.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down