The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Time between points rules - who cares?

+11
bogbrush
denzilsmom
sportslover
Wooffie
legendkillar
Decrepitude
I AM AWESOME
Tenez
Mad for Chelsea
socal1976
Stealth Maestro Agro Love
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Do you care about the time taken between points?

Time between points rules - who cares? - Page 2 Vote_lcap40%Time between points rules - who cares? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 40% 
[ 10 ]
Time between points rules - who cares? - Page 2 Vote_lcap60%Time between points rules - who cares? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 60% 
[ 15 ]

Total Votes : 25

Time between points rules - who cares? - Page 2 Empty Time between points rules - who cares?

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Wed 18 May 2011, 12:53 pm

First topic message reminder :

I don't need to write a tome about this one. Who cares? It's become the main talking point of this forum despite being probably the most boring topic you could discuss on tennis. It's like watching paint dry to be honest. Football fans don't yap on about how long it takes between a goal and a kick-off, despite huge variations in time. Rugby fans don't blabber about the time taken between try and (potential) conversion. Why?

BECAUSE IT IS TEDIOUS!!!

But in the interests of the forum and interesting debate, i've devised a little poll to see how many people really care. If I get a huge majority saying 'No', I propose a full time ban on the topic. Smile

Back to top Go down

Time between points rules - who cares? - Page 2 Empty Re: Time between points rules - who cares?

Post by Solerina Thu 19 May 2011, 11:34 pm

Some very interesting comments on this thread......will give this subject some thought and will come back to it tomorrow,

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Time between points rules - who cares? - Page 2 Empty Re: Time between points rules - who cares?

Post by Tenez Fri 20 May 2011, 8:32 am

Watch Rafa consistent 17/19sec "routine" between ponts going even as short as 15sec. Noone noticed anything wrong then. That's how tennis was played and no such threads about time wasting was needed then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwU7T6FsvwA Miami 05 final Set 1 from 15.00mn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_I1YEzEn0g Miami 05 final Set 5

Notice how Rafa runs out of gas in that 5th set and is forced to go for shorter rallies with mistakes coming thick and fast ...losing the last 6 games!!!

It's after this match that the 35s orchestrated OCDs between points started...under Toni's advice of course.

Last edited by Tenez on Fri 20 May 2011, 9:50 am; edited 2 times in total

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 20 May 2011, 9:12 am

Stealth Maestro Agro Love wrote:
bogbrush wrote:The reason I won't take up your kind offer, Wooffie, is I don't care enough. What I do care enough to do is enter a discussion, air my opinion, debate with others. That's why I'll talk about this but not write pointless letters.

Hmmmm..... didn't this guy say something earlier?

bogbrush wrote:What a stupid and pathetically loaded "Poll".

If the moderators are trying to run an intelligent site then this is tantamount to spam or wumming.

Very Happy It would appear that, since you are indeed going utterly ballistic at the sight of this poll, you do care. You care a lot. But of course you are not willing to accept the inevitable response from those you would have to petition, which will likely be 'We're really terribly sorry, but no-one really cares, to be honest.' The irony is that if we took the time you've spent writing on this particularly boring topic, it would far outstrip the time required to either write a letter or make a petition. laughing

You also seem unaware that this thread finally provides a single place for you to post, all day, every day, all year on your favourite topic, instead of having to somehow wedge it into other threads that aren't related to it.

So now we can consider this the official 'time rule' thread, you don't have to discuss it in any other thread, just this single one. Be grateful, huh? thumbsup

This post is weird and a bit dim. Not up to your usual standard at all.

The poll is obvious spam, any half intelligent poll would phrase the options without loading the authors values into them. That's obvious, anyone with even half a brain can see that so I'm sure you know that.

Secondly, the time spent discussing this is not wasted as the debate can be enjoyable; the exchange of views, the chance to laugh at absurd responses and respond to them, whereas writing a letter to ther ATP carries no such benefit. It isn't time, it's of waste of time that differentiates the two. Do you get this?

The time wasting issue is a multifaceted one and is relevent to many discussions. Thank you for your efforts to create a single thread as a facility, it's truly much appreciated, but inevitably aspects of the game make up a whole and interact, so the subject will doubtless come up many more times.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Fri 20 May 2011, 9:44 am

bogbrush wrote:... if you want to ensure you control stuff like heart rate then better not to concentrate on that, but to develop a strict routine which controls the result. Picking trousers out of bum, touching ears, pockets and so on would make a built-in spacer and guarantee the pause better than just standing there slowing your breath or heart down.

The funny thing is he also has his routines to increase his heart rate. Isn't it hilarious see how he runs from corner to corner after the changeover break and start doing some time wasting routines the very next point after?

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 20 May 2011, 10:12 am

If they aren't enforcing the rule for anyone, why doesn't everyone partake of the advantage? Its not like Rafa is the only player that takes more time than is allowed. Also lets remember that Nadal's fake OCD as some call it involves a great deal of other routines like the way he sets up his water bottles.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by I AM AWESOME Fri 20 May 2011, 11:13 am

Tenez wrote:Watch Rafa consistent 17/19sec "routine" between ponts going even as short as 15sec. Noone noticed anything wrong then. That's how tennis was played and no such threads about time wasting was needed then.

Notice how Rafa runs out of gas in that 5th set and is forced to go for shorter rallies with mistakes coming thick and fast ...losing the last 6 games!!!

It's after this match that the 35s orchestrated OCDs between points started...under Toni's advice of course.

Whoa! Look how quick he is serving there, not even bouncing the ball, even! I think you are spot on Tenez.

I AM AWESOME

Back to top Go down

Post by gallery play Fri 20 May 2011, 11:30 am

socal1976 wrote:If they aren't enforcing the rule for anyone, why doesn't everyone partake of the advantage?

Ethics?

Actually, that question should be asked to the ones who break the rule

gallery play

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 20 May 2011, 12:18 pm

socal1976 wrote:If they aren't enforcing the rule for anyone, why doesn't everyone partake of the advantage? Its not like Rafa is the only player that takes more time than is allowed. Also lets remember that Nadal's fake OCD as some call it involves a great deal of other routines like the way he sets up his water bottles.

Great solution. Let's have them all take performance enhancing drugs, coach, etc. 🤦

Or they could all stick to the rules. I mean, it's just a suggestion.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 20 May 2011, 12:19 pm

I AM AWESOME wrote:
Tenez wrote:Watch Rafa consistent 17/19sec "routine" between ponts going even as short as 15sec. Noone noticed anything wrong then. That's how tennis was played and no such threads about time wasting was needed then.

Whoa! Look how quick he is serving there, not even bouncing the ball, even! I think you are spot on Tenez.

Obviously something traumatic must have happened to him after that match to bring on the OCD. Poor guy. Rolling Eyes
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Fri 20 May 2011, 12:47 pm

bogbrush wrote:
Stealth Maestro Agro Love wrote:
bogbrush wrote:The reason I won't take up your kind offer, Wooffie, is I don't care enough. What I do care enough to do is enter a discussion, air my opinion, debate with others. That's why I'll talk about this but not write pointless letters.

Hmmmm..... didn't this guy say something earlier?

bogbrush wrote:What a stupid and pathetically loaded "Poll".

If the moderators are trying to run an intelligent site then this is tantamount to spam or wumming.

Very Happy It would appear that, since you are indeed going utterly ballistic at the sight of this poll, you do care. You care a lot. But of course you are not willing to accept the inevitable response from those you would have to petition, which will likely be 'We're really terribly sorry, but no-one really cares, to be honest.' The irony is that if we took the time you've spent writing on this particularly boring topic, it would far outstrip the time required to either write a letter or make a petition. Time between points rules - who cares? - Page 2 3497602689

You also seem unaware that this thread finally provides a single place for you to post, all day, every day, all year on your favourite topic, instead of having to somehow wedge it into other threads that aren't related to it.

So now we can consider this the official 'time rule' thread, you don't have to discuss it in any other thread, just this single one. Be grateful, huh? Time between points rules - who cares? - Page 2 732107

This post is weird and a bit dim. Not up to your usual standard at all.

The poll is obvious spam, any half intelligent poll would phrase the options without loading the authors values into them. That's obvious, anyone with even half a brain can see that so I'm sure you know that.

Secondly, the time spent discussing this is not wasted as the debate can be enjoyable; the exchange of views, the chance to laugh at absurd responses and respond to them, whereas writing a letter to ther ATP carries no such benefit. It isn't time, it's of waste of time that differentiates the two. Do you get this?

The time wasting issue is a multifaceted one and is relevent to many discussions. Thank you for your efforts to create a single thread as a facility, it's truly much appreciated, but inevitably aspects of the game make up a whole and interact, so the subject will doubtless come up many more times.
Well of course the poll is loaded, it's there to emphasise my point, as opposed to actually being a valid measurement of whether people wanted the discussion to continue or not. If I wanted the poll to say 'No' instead of using it to criticise this farcical topic of conversation, I would simply have added a nice diplomatic line to attract everyone over to the 'no' option like 'I don't really care, but I would get annoyed if someone consistently spent over a minute before serving' or something along those lines.

The debate may well be enjoyable the first time around, but the point is that you all trot out the same conversation every time, every day, every week, every year. The fact that you appear to find this repetition enjoyable does currently confuse me, but for the sake of psychological research I shall be posting a certain topic, and making the same comments on it and about it consistently over and over again for the next few weeks, just to see if I do get any kicks out of it. If I do find it as wonderful as you guys do then I shall of course apologise and withdraw the thread immediately.

Of course over Roland Garros, I will be spending too much time to produce the PointsThingy talking about my chosen random topic, so someone else will have to do that. Smile

As far as time wasted in concerned, how is writing a letter time wasted exactly? Common sense dictates that time wasted would be continously playing out a situation that has zero effect on the tour, whereas time spent well would be writing a letter, or better still creating a fans petition that may have a chance, albeit a small one, of having an effect.

I find the whole scenario on the forum at the moment akin to an old folks home, as people seem to talk about this subject, apparently forgetting that they'd talked about it only moments ago, and the talk about exactly the same thing again in a continous cycle.

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 20 May 2011, 12:54 pm

Stealth Maestro Agro Love wrote:As far as time wasted in concerned, how is writing a letter time wasted exactly? Common sense dictates that time wasted would be continously playing out a situation that has zero effect on the tour, whereas time spent well would be writing a letter, or better still creating a fans petition that may have a chance, albeit a small one, of having an effect.

The judgement of wasted time lies with the person spending it. Bit like deciding whether Orange is a nice colour. Pretty obvious, I'd have thought.

Stealth Maestro Agro Love wrote:I find the whole scenario on the forum at the moment akin to an old folks home, as people seem to talk about this subject, apparently forgetting that they'd talked about it only moments ago, and the talk about exactly the same thing again in a continous cycle.

Yeah, your posts do read a bit that way but I wasn't going to say anything.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Wooffie Fri 20 May 2011, 1:01 pm

Last edited by Wooffie on Fri 20 May 2011, 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wooffie
Wooffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri 20 May 2011, 1:07 pm

Last edited by Tenez on Fri 20 May 2011, 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : delete the whole post)

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Fri 20 May 2011, 1:36 pm

bogbrush wrote:

Stealth Maestro Agro Love wrote:I find the whole scenario on the forum at the moment akin to an old folks home, as people seem to talk about this subject, apparently forgetting that they'd talked about it only moments ago, and the talk about exactly the same thing again in a continous cycle.

Yeah, your posts do read a bit that way but I wasn't going to say anything.
laughing Yes, I suppose being 'cursed' with the ability to talk about something other than 'how much time do players waste between points' is going to rather annoy you somewhat, but I ask only that you embrace this knack that others have for being able to discuss more than one topic per lifetime. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 20 May 2011, 2:16 pm

Didn't spend much time on 606 then, did you? Erm
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Fri 20 May 2011, 6:36 pm

What have you done to Stealth Maestro Bogbrush???!!!! He seems to have lost it!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Stealth Maestro Agro Love Fri 20 May 2011, 6:43 pm

I wrote:The debate may well be enjoyable the first time around, but the point is that you all trot out the same conversation every time, every day, every week, every year. The fact that you appear to find this repetition enjoyable does currently confuse me, but for the sake of psychological research I shall be posting a certain topic, and making the same comments on it and about it consistently over and over again for the next few weeks, just to see if I do get any kicks out of it. If I do find it as wonderful as you guys do then I shall of course apologise and withdraw the thread immediately.

Of course over Roland Garros, I will be spending too much time to produce the PointsThingy talking about my chosen random topic, so someone else will have to do that. Smile

Why, Tenez, i'm just doing what you do. Every. Single. Day. Smile

So i'm focusing on another rule to you guys, thats the only difference; surely you should be ready to accept me as one of your clan now that i'm obsessively posting about the same topic?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 20 May 2011, 7:12 pm

Guys, will you please stick to the topic or I will close this thread.

Back to top Go down

Post by mm15 Tue 24 May 2011, 1:09 pm

I dont mind time.....unless well maybe unless....
- they are pulling shorts (wedges every serve??),
- pulling socks (loose band?)
- putting hair behind ear (tie it back please!!),
- pulling tee-shirts (somehow oversized, a bit cheap for a rich player)
sound familiar, any guesses??? Wink
mm15
mm15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2