The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wimbledon Day 9 - Anything is Pospisil. Maybe even a Cilic in time saves nine...match points

+29
Danny_1982
YvonneT
laverfan
Belovedluckyboy
Josiah Maiestas
Calder106
TRuffin
Mad for Chelsea
alfie
LuvSports!
R!skysports
monty junior
kingraf
Haddie-nuff
kemet
barrystar
Aut0Gr4ph
temporary21
Guest82
CaledonianCraig
Duty281
HM Murdock
FedsFan
biugo
bogbrush
sirfredperry
prostaff85
Born Slippy
JuliusHMarx
33 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Wimbledon Day 9 - Anything is Pospisil. Maybe even a Cilic in time saves nine...match points Empty Wimbledon Day 9 - Anything is Pospisil. Maybe even a Cilic in time saves nine...match points

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 07 Jul 2015, 11:19 pm

Order of play
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/22713811

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon Day 9 - Anything is Pospisil. Maybe even a Cilic in time saves nine...match points Empty Re: Wimbledon Day 9 - Anything is Pospisil. Maybe even a Cilic in time saves nine...match points

Post by Born Slippy Tue 07 Jul 2015, 11:52 pm

Murray in 3
Novak in 4
Fed in 3
Stan in 5

Reckon we are getting top 4 SF come Friday.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon Day 9 - Anything is Pospisil. Maybe even a Cilic in time saves nine...match points Empty Re: Wimbledon Day 9 - Anything is Pospisil. Maybe even a Cilic in time saves nine...match points

Post by prostaff85 Wed 08 Jul 2015, 8:06 am

All the QFs seem fairly predictable. Cilic has a chance IF he finds back his US Open form, but it's 10 months since he last produced that level of tennis...
Both Murray and Federer have been in impressive form and with Berdych out there are no roadblocks left.
Gasquet has the advantage of low expectations and no pressure, but for the sake of an more exciting semi I hope Stan wins this.
prostaff85
prostaff85

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed 08 Jul 2015, 8:12 am

Fed's match may not be as straightforward as some think. Simon looks in good form. Fed came unstuck at this round at Wimbledon in '10 and '11 and has not really been in a scrap so far.
Djoko will be fine today after the Anderson scare. Stan will see off Gasquet and I'm tipping Murray to win in straight sets.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by prostaff85 Wed 08 Jul 2015, 8:19 am

sirfredperry wrote:Fed came unstuck at this round at Wimbledon in '10 and '11 and has not really been in a scrap so far.

True, but these two losses - and in fact most of Fed's other "early" losses in Slams like Cilic at the US Open last year - have come against powerful servers / big hitters who managed to blow him off the court. Simon is a totally different kind of player and I think Fed is secretly quite happy Simon took care of Berdych :-)
prostaff85
prostaff85

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 08 Jul 2015, 8:34 am

Anyone thinking this is a stroll for Federer hasn't watched their matches. Simon is quite a tricky match-up for Roger; he stays in points those extra shots that often lead Federer to bad places; if you're tempted to wait for him to make the mistake you'll be a while, and he has some good stinging shots himself.

He's also mentally quite tough and isn't afraid of Federer (and has said so).

This could go long and Federer will have to get onto the front foot.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by biugo Wed 08 Jul 2015, 8:46 am

Davis Cup round on Court 1 - repeat of Final '14.
Not a bad training for the frenchies before the UK-FR match

Indeed BB, Simon is not the kind to be afraid of a big player (that would be Gasquet's part) and he's very sound tactically. If he finds a way to annoy Roger, there will be trouble.

And how about the risk of life-time performance from Vasek? As JHM rightly said: Anything is Pospisil!

Gasquet is in great form and meeting Stan on his worst surface - tricky one here too. It comes down to Gasquet's serve (to match to his mindset)

Djoko should go through quietly, boosted he is from a tough victory and facing an opponent who's yet to reach his highest level (but anything, again, is Pospisil)

biugo

Back to top Go down

Post by biugo Wed 08 Jul 2015, 8:51 am

From most to least likely to lose at this round:
Cilic
Pospisil
Simon
Gasquet / Wawrinka (50-50 for me)
Federer
Murray (would be the least likely to leave, but Pospisil may have a surprise factor)
Djokovic (12-0 means he knows the player quite well)

biugo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 Jul 2015, 8:55 am

Murray should on current form win in straights, though a mid match walkabout is usually par for the course. Can Pospisil handle the CC experience playing a home player?

Federer and Simon. I know Fed fans are greeting this with caution, but this is on Federer's best surface and they have never played on Grass. I feel if Simon plays too short of a length on his groundies, Federer will pummel him.

Djokovic you feel will shift up a gear and take Cilic out in straights. Hard to see Cilic find the reserves to take 3 sets off Novak.

Gasquet and Stan. It's a question of who can hold their nerve.

Back to top Go down

Post by prostaff85 Wed 08 Jul 2015, 8:58 am

Wimbledon QFs are not supposed to be a stroll (not even for Federer), but I guess there's a reason why Simon has reached only one Slam quarter final in 10 years on the tour. Solid player but when push comes to shove he tends to lose.

prostaff85
prostaff85

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Wed 08 Jul 2015, 9:06 am

bogbrush wrote:Anyone thinking this is a stroll for Federer hasn't watched their matches. Simon is quite a tricky match-up for Roger; he stays in points those extra shots that often lead Federer to bad places; if you're tempted to wait for him to make the mistake you'll be a while, and he has some good stinging shots himself.

He's also mentally quite tough and isn't afraid of Federer (and has said so).

This could go long and Federer will have to get onto the front foot.

I agree, this is not going to be easy. This year Federer has had more success against Berdych but with TB you don't know what you will get so I was torn between who to root for. Simon has always been a nightmare for Federer from that very first meeting back in 2008. He seems to have hit some great form so I would not be too surprised if he makes life very difficult or even wins.

Federer also has to deal with the new surroundings of court 1. He has played there before but, to come out adjust and take on a strong opponent won't be easy. Can't understand why he didn't play his 4th round on court 1.

Either way this is a tough one to call.

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed 08 Jul 2015, 9:47 am

I agree with those who say Federer may have a tough time with Simon today.

I expect Federer to ultimately prevail but Simon is in good enough form to be typically frustrating.

It's on Federer's racquet but that racquet will have to be somewhere near its best.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 08 Jul 2015, 9:54 am

Murray has really landed on his feet with the way the draw has panned out.

It should - should! - be a straight set breeze for him today, setting him up in perfect condition for the final two games.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Wed 08 Jul 2015, 10:00 am

The easiest of the QF matches is Murray's. The others may be a little interesting but I do not see Pospisil mounting any sort of challenge. Murray is in too good form to lose here. Cannot see it going 4 and to be honest, no disrespect to Pospisil but I doubt he will be able to break him either.

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 08 Jul 2015, 10:12 am

Duty281 wrote:Murray has really landed on his feet with the way the draw has panned out.

It should - should! - be a straight set breeze for him today, setting him up in perfect condition for the final two games.

Opened up for him in this round but that is it. Karlovic in the last round was a real test so its not like it has opened up miraculously. Federer fans were sweating about having to play Monfils or Berdych and that never happened.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Wed 08 Jul 2015, 10:16 am

I would be surprised if Simon gets much more than 10 games today. Yes, he has pushed Fed in the past but the Fed of today is more equipped to deal with the likes of Simon (whilst conversely being slightly more vulnerable to power players). This is grass and, well though Simon has played, I don't expect him to make any impact on the Fed serve. I predict 64 62 62.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Wed 08 Jul 2015, 10:18 am

As I stated beforehand, Fed's draw always looked a breeze to the SF. It looks likely that both he and Murray will make to the SF without undue stress. Really think that could then be a classic.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 08 Jul 2015, 11:02 am

I'd be extremely surprised if Federer doesn't beat Simon with the minimum of fuss. Simon's slam record says it all.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Wed 08 Jul 2015, 11:04 am

Murray in 3
Djokovic in 4
Federer in 4
Stan in 4

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Wed 08 Jul 2015, 11:06 am

Tough day for me with the ashes on. Here's hoping for top 4 wins.

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Aut0Gr4ph Wed 08 Jul 2015, 12:28 pm

Great day to have no 1 court tickets. Of course, British interest will create some atmosphere on CC, but it's unlikely to reach fever pitch unless Murray is pushed. For some reason, I'm convinced that Novak will win easily. Cilic has been under the radar for me, so maybe he'll surprise me.

Reckon both no 1 court matches could get very interesting, although I do think the surface gives Rog a big edge over Simon. Simon did trounce Berdych in the last round, but I didn't catch much of that, so not sure if Berdych was just terrible.

What's the Gasquet-Wawrinka H2H like?

Aut0Gr4ph

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed 08 Jul 2015, 12:37 pm

Aut0Gr4ph wrote:What's the Gasquet-Wawrinka H2H like?
I was amazed to see that they have only played each other twice before!

It's 1-1.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 08 Jul 2015, 1:29 pm

As I suspected Roger chewing up and spitting out Simon. He leads 3-0 and Murray leads 3-1 as rain stops play.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Wed 08 Jul 2015, 1:39 pm

Good starts for the blockbuster semi final then. The ashes are a bit tetchy, so it's nice to see this go to plan

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Wed 08 Jul 2015, 1:48 pm

Roddick in the studio.  He's pretty good

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 08 Jul 2015, 1:50 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:I agree with those who say Federer may have a tough time with Simon today.

I expect Federer to ultimately prevail but Simon is in good enough form to be typically frustrating.

It's on Federer's racquet but that racquet will have to be somewhere near its best.
That's a pretty good assessment of how their matches tend to go. I always recall the AO match where Fed was cruising at 2-0 sets and it went to 5. Simon is intelligent and crafty.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 Jul 2015, 1:52 pm

Let's see if CC rescues the schedule should rain be a thorn in the side.

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Wed 08 Jul 2015, 1:54 pm

temporary21 wrote:Roddick in the studio.  He's pretty good

Quite - bright, honest, personable, and not pompous. What's not to like?
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Wed 08 Jul 2015, 2:00 pm

So, forgive me for asking the obvious, since I am at work and should not even be on this site (*glances furtively over shoulder*)

The roof should be closed and play set to resume soon, right?

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed 08 Jul 2015, 2:02 pm

rain has stopped

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 08 Jul 2015, 2:04 pm

Djokovic will be pleased to have gotten centre then. Although, I believe once closed, the roof cannot reopen? May suit Cilic.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 08 Jul 2015, 2:14 pm

In an ideal world for Pospisil, they'll go off for a nap every 7 games. He's been on court for 19 hours, and 31 sets this fortnight. Must be hitting critical mass soon.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Wed 08 Jul 2015, 2:17 pm

I have muzz and the ashes on here.  Keep me posted on the overlords progress

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Wed 08 Jul 2015, 2:27 pm

I've never seen Murray's serve slower in a tournament since his first Wimbledon, very few aces considering it's on grass even the forehand on this surface which has been great especially 2012/2013 is absolutely non existant.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 08 Jul 2015, 2:33 pm

monty junior wrote:I've never seen Murray's serve slower in a tournament since his first Wimbledon, very few aces considering it's on grass even the forehand on this surface which has been great especially 2012/2013 is absolutely non existant.

Well he has had concerns over his shoulder - or not. Depends what you want to believe. Wink Personally, I see it as his way of sort of protecting second serve by playing safe and rolling in the first serve more so he has less second serves to worry about. May be wrong though.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Wed 08 Jul 2015, 2:37 pm

Just Murray's flat serve is a good 5mph at least slower than i've seen it and even when he's trying to spin it in he's still missing a lot. I think there's more to the shoulder problem than meet's the eye, i really hope not but you can't beat Federer and then Djokovic with no serve and that's where confidence comes from. A good serve.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 08 Jul 2015, 2:41 pm

Could be trying to shield the second serve. He's serving at 76%, so if so

1. It's working
2. It needs to work because he's second serve is being smacked
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed 08 Jul 2015, 2:41 pm

Now I may be a little on my own, BUT I do not really think Murray is playing slam winning tennis yet

He is shoveling over a lot of shots and not really going for much power. He has not been against anyone good yet and I worry that if he gets to Fed then he may actaully lose

He is crafty and good - but IMO hitting far too short

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Wed 08 Jul 2015, 2:43 pm

There's something about the roof that makes murrays shots look. Well a bit slow, or floaty.  I hope he doesn't think he can serve to roger like thid

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Wed 08 Jul 2015, 2:50 pm

Yea he talked about playing with more variety again like he used to, but that type of style also used to get him blasted off court in Grand Slams before he start being more aggressive. No problem at all bringing guys in to the net, lobbing, drop shotting etc but he has really regressed with short balls which he was so much better with under Lendl. Even when he's been ahead he's not been going after the double breaks with aggression like he has in the past. Worrying!

Last edited by monty junior on Wed 08 Jul 2015, 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Wed 08 Jul 2015, 2:51 pm

I mean I don't know how hard Rogers hitting it. But some of these shots and serves look very hittable

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Wed 08 Jul 2015, 2:52 pm

Feds brainfart Sad

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Wed 08 Jul 2015, 2:55 pm

Breaks back straight away! Great game!

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Wed 08 Jul 2015, 2:58 pm

Don't close the roof guys. I won't rain again surely...

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 08 Jul 2015, 3:04 pm

Riskysports wrote:Now I may be a little on my own, BUT I do not really think Murray is playing slam winning tennis yet

He is shoveling over a lot of shots and not really going for much power. He has not been against anyone good yet and I worry that if he gets to Fed then he may actaully lose

He is crafty and good - but IMO hitting far too short

I would agree with this. At present he is playing (in general) canny matches that are getting him the wins but he needs to be hitting aggressively to win matches against the likes of Federer and Djokovic. This current game plan will end in failure against the very top players. I always go along with the theory that switching to an aggressive style of play cannot be switched on and off like a light switch. You need to play yourself into that frame of mind and pattern and not hope it will come in the blink of an eye.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Wed 08 Jul 2015, 3:10 pm

He was going well against seppi. INo though has put him back into bad habits

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Wed 08 Jul 2015, 3:14 pm

Agreed Craig, sure you can hammer the odd shot, i mean he probably hit the hardest forehand on CC this year earlier in the match but all the others just have nothing on them. Even the easy put aways he's just rolling in, he can't be lacking confidence after all these are guys he beat's all the time and usually fairly comfortably. But you will not win 6 set off the top 2 playing with no serve and a powerpuff forehand, i mean Murray can hit 3/4 aces in a game yet has hit 1 in almost 2 sets. That shoulder strapping worries me.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 08 Jul 2015, 3:27 pm

It seems to me that Murray is - consciously or unconsciously ? - protecting the shoulder a bit. Hasn't done him any harm so far ; but I take the point that it may be hard to switch on the power at the sharp end of the tournament.
On the other hand : by not blasting away for his first five matches he just might have enough left to produce the goods against the top dogs . Bit of a balancing act , perhaps...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Aut0Gr4ph Wed 08 Jul 2015, 3:47 pm

Murray turns it on at the sharp end of the set and will serve for it. Good stuff.

Aut0Gr4ph

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 08 Jul 2015, 3:47 pm

better from Murray, more aggression, particularly with that service game at 4-5, and he's duly rewarded with the break. Pospisil hit with a TV at 30-30, but he's averaging 25 secs between points so surely can't complain too much...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next