The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gavin Henson open to Dragons move

+5
geoff998rugby
Golden
George Carlin
ScarletSpiderman
Nachos Jones
9 posters

Go down

Gavin Henson open to Dragons move Empty Gavin Henson open to Dragons move

Post by Guest Tue Jan 14 2014, 12:13

http://www.espn.co.uk/wales/rugby/story/210885.html

Would the Dragon fans want him there as cover for centre and flyhalf?
How are they affording all of these players?

Back to top Go down

Gavin Henson open to Dragons move Empty Re: Gavin Henson open to Dragons move

Post by Nachos Jones Tue Jan 14 2014, 12:22

Gav's best days are behind him. He is nearly 32 so not much of a career left. I really used to like him and had hoped that he would do well at Bath. There are very few teams around willing to take on a player of his age so I am not sure if it would be good business to be honest.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue Jan 14 2014, 12:23

IronMike wrote:How are they affording all of these players?

I guess by not paying over the odds for the players that they have now. And also they may be able to get players to sign for less than they would have had to in the past, seeing as they have a good coaching setup and are currently the second best region.

Well it is either that or the conspiracy theory of the union throwing cash into them in order fill them with welsh talent and make the other regions look bad.  Run 
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue Jan 14 2014, 12:26

Nachos Jones wrote:Gav's best days are behind him. He is nearly 32 so not much of a career left. I really used to like him and had hoped that he would do well at Bath. There are very few teams around willing to take on a player of his age so I am not sure if it would be good business to be honest.

Not too sure that is true, isn't Byrne 33 and there were a few after him. Also, if there is going to be little interest in Henson's signature, then surely that means he can't command such high wages, and in theory that makes him a decent option, even if he is just going to be a bench warmer. IMO purely due to versatility he is a better option than Burton (who I thought was a good signing btw).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Tue Jan 14 2014, 12:30

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Nachos Jones wrote:Gav's best days are behind him. He is nearly 32 so not much of a career left. I really used to like him and had hoped that he would do well at Bath. There are very few teams around willing to take on a player of his age so I am not sure if it would be good business to be honest.

Not too sure that is true, isn't Byrne 33 and there were a few after him.  Also, if there is going to be little interest in Henson's signature, then surely that means he can't command such high wages, and in theory that makes him a decent option, even if he is just going to be a bench warmer.  IMO purely due to versatility he is a better option than Burton (who I thought was a good signing btw).

Fair point, its also the baggage that Henson brings which would be a deterrent as well as the fact that he has been pretty much a bench warmer now for many seasons (when playing).

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue Jan 14 2014, 12:49

For all that nobody likes making fun of the Creosoted Swordsman more than me, how has he actually been playing this season?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Tue Jan 14 2014, 13:06

surely with all these signings Dragons are still going to sign some front rowers?

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Tue Jan 14 2014, 13:08

Golden wrote:surely with all these signings Dragons are still going to sign some front rowers?

You would think so following the Gloucesters line of reasoning, this year, doesn't seem like the way to go

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Tue Jan 14 2014, 14:01

Of course he is, the regions vs WRU is the biggest headline spinner around at the moment.....

he wants in on some of that media action.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 14 2014, 18:32

George Carlin wrote:For all that nobody likes making fun of the Creosoted Swordsman more than me, how has he actually been playing this season?

Two offloads led to two Bath tries against us on Saturday. That's the only time I've seen him play, but those two touches were lovely. Didn't do too much else in the game though. But then didn't need to as they had won the game by 25 mins.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Tue Jan 14 2014, 19:18

A neutral view, but I think signing Henson would be a negative move. Reading match reports etc. Dragons have forged ahead this season, despite a dissapointing Amlin campaign.

Re-signing Faletau, and bringing Brew back (plus signing Byrne) tells me there's going to be further progression next season under the new coaching set up.

Best of luck.

thumbsup

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Tue Jan 14 2014, 20:00

Remaindered quicker tham a Geoffrey Archer novel. How many clubs in the past five years?

Is this man turned from dynamite to sweaty gelignite?

I'd once have loved to have seen him at Welford Road along with Cipriani as first back-ups.

But he's not Pete Stringer is he?
Like a 70s Jag, he's completely unreliable and may fall to bits at any time - not exactly a purring Merc.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Tue Jan 14 2014, 20:29

You just bought a new vintage car Port?

The guy could have been the best 12 in the NH, at least, over the last decade. Only he knows why that didn't happen.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Tue Jan 14 2014, 20:40

Hound of Harrow wrote:You just bought a new vintage car Port?

The guy could have been the best 12 in the NH, at least, over the last decade. Only he knows why that didn't happen.
I just bought a 2001 Audi A4 TDi Estate, 'Arnd.

Mostly for running stuff down to the tip and other menial tasks. Like Gavin, it's done too many miles and is past its best, but I hope that it can do the job if treated properly.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 14 2014, 20:58

Portnoy's Complaint wrote:
Hound of Harrow wrote:You just bought a new vintage car Port?

I just bought a 2001 Audi A4 TDi Estate, 'Arnd.

Mostly for running stuff down to the tip and other menial tasks. Like Gavin, it's done too many miles and is past its best, but I hope that it can do the job if treated properly.

Except Gav has not got many miles on the clock, for his age. Like the car you bought in the 80's that has been under tarpaulin in the garage for the last few years. Could be a good runner if you get it road worthy again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Tue Jan 14 2014, 21:58

Port - good luck with the motor.

Griff - True that GH has not actually had much game time. But that can be a huge drawback. I doubt if he can deliver what he showed as a 22-25 yo.

Dragons will be better off developing their youngsters imo.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 14 2014, 22:35

I agree, the hunger cannot be there anymore, hes going to be up against young players who are looking to impress selectors, he knows hes going to be past it, how loyal would he be for the Dragons? Is he really going to go the extra distance to deliver great performances, or will he sail by on a ship of mediocrity?

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Wed Jan 15 2014, 09:04

The injury troubles that started Hensons disaffection with rugby have never gone away, he left the game because he was always injured and since his return its one injury after another. This has limited his chance to make an impression at London Welsh and now again at Bath. Its a shame because in his return to the Wales jersey in the RWC 2011 warm ups against England he was very impressive then he broke his arm and missed the world cup. Recently at Bath he has done very well in the A side but we have been very lucky with injuries this year (whilst he hasn't) and he is now rightly behind Ford and Heathcote at 10 and Eastmond/Devoto at 12 when at the beginning of the season he was a bench player pushing for a starting shirt.

If he had any sense (debatable) he would stay at Bath, Heathcote will sadly leave this year to likely go to Scotland, Ford is now the England number 2 so will be gone for large chunks of the year; therefore the Bath number 10 shirt is there for Henson to grab, with a real chance to play in europe (if it exists !) and maybe win some trophies. But alas he will probably go to Dragons.

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down