The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is the toughest injury that your nation will have to bear this six nations?

+17
WELL-PAST-IT
lostinwales
flankertye
BamBam
bedfordwelsh
kiakahaaotearoa
ChequeredJersey
Cyril
munkian
formerly known as Sam
Geordie
Mickado
TJ
RugbyFan182
thomh
GloriousEmpire
maestegmafia
21 posters

Go down

Who is the toughest injury that your nation will have to bear this six nations? Empty Who is the toughest injury that your nation will have to bear this six nations?

Post by maestegmafia Wed 22 Jan 2014, 10:07 pm

Luckily the sick note list isn't too large or too permanent for most nations this season.

Many good players out injured should be returning during the tournament, hopefully adding to their teams chances of wins.

But who is the worst injury your team has to bare with right now?

Last edited by maestegmafia on Fri 24 Jan 2014, 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Who is the toughest injury that your nation will have to bear this six nations? Empty Re: Who is the toughest injury that your nation will have to bear this six nations?

Post by GloriousEmpire Wed 22 Jan 2014, 11:12 pm

Probably Richard Kahui.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Who is the toughest injury that your nation will have to bear this six nations? Empty Re: Who is the toughest injury that your nation will have to bear this six nations?

Post by thomh Thu 23 Jan 2014, 12:41 am

England's list is pretty bad. Corbisiero, Parling, Croft, Tuilagi, Wade, Yarde and Foden off the top of my head.

Tuilagi is the worst by a long way, partly because of just how important he is to England's attack. Secondly because we don't have any experienced back up there really, whereas Marler, Lawes/Launchbury, Wood/Robshaw, Brown and Goode are all excellent in the place of the others, and May and Watson are no more unproven than Wade and Yarde at this level really.

There's a slight chance he'll be back for rounds 4 and 5 vs Wales and Italy, but I'd imagine Cockerill will be doing everything he can to downplay his fitness levels and keep him at Leicester for the duration.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by RugbyFan182 Thu 23 Jan 2014, 12:47 am

Sean o brien, nuff said!

RugbyFan182

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Thu 23 Jan 2014, 7:47 am

Scotland have a few in the backs that could prove costly. We simply do not have the replacements. Visser, Scott, Horne are perhaps the obvious ones.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 23 Jan 2014, 8:07 am

TJ wrote:Scotland have a few in the backs that could prove costly.  We simply do not have the replacements.  Visser, Scott, Horne are perhaps the obvious ones.  

How is stuart Hogg doing...? I haven't seen him play this season.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 23 Jan 2014, 8:29 am

maestegmafia wrote:
TJ wrote:Scotland have a few in the backs that could prove costly.  We simply do not have the replacements.  Visser, Scott, Horne are perhaps the obvious ones.  

He was very lively against Toulon!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 23 Jan 2014, 8:36 am

thomh wrote:England's list is pretty bad. Corbisiero, Parling, Croft, Tuilagi, Wade, Yarde and Foden off the top of my head.

Tuilagi is the worst by a long way, partly because of just how important he is to England's attack. Secondly because we don't have any experienced back up there really, whereas Marler, Lawes/Launchbury, Wood/Robshaw, Brown and Goode are all excellent in the place of the others, and May and Watson are no more unproven than Wade and Yarde at this level really.

There's a slight chance he'll be back for rounds 4 and 5 vs Wales and Italy, but I'd imagine Cockerill will be doing everything he can to downplay his fitness levels and keep him at Leicester for the duration.

Im not concerned by the loss of Croft or Parling. I think Croft is a luxury player and we have better individual players than Parling.

Wade and Yard are disapointing as we hope they will be good...but yet unproven so cant be classed as major losses.

Corbs is a big one as i believe he is genuinely world class...but we're lucky that we have Marler and Mako Vunipola to very impressive young deputies coming through.

And whilst i dont actually think he's as good (world class etc) as many people seem to think...I guess its probably right that Tuilagi is probably the biggest loss as our backline just looks utterly toothless with out him...even though he is often reduced to the role of a battering ram due to the lack of ability around him.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 23 Jan 2014, 8:48 am

Croft is a bit of a luxury but given his ability to make incredible cover tackles and our defence seeming to allow line breaks out wide I'd say he'd be pretty useful about now. Agree on Parling though, not sure he's ahead of his understudy at Tigers anymore.

Manu is the biggest loss by far. Gives the attack a crash ball option that'll always go past the gainline and draw in a brace of tacklers but also capable of explosive try scoring plays.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 23 Jan 2014, 9:06 am

I thought England fans would consider Parling a big loss. I certainly would.

Even if hes back earlier than expected JD2 is a huge loss for Wales. Good if he comes back for a few games but he'll have had 0 game time.

Geth and Ryan Jones are big losses too - lots of experience and leadership for the younger players.

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 23 Jan 2014, 9:14 am

Englands second row stable is looking increasingly impressive

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu 23 Jan 2014, 9:15 am

munkian wrote:I thought England fans would consider Parling a big loss. I certainly would.
Parling is a fine player, an excellent lineout operator and adds experience. He also stood out on the Lions tour.

England are strong in the 2nd row though so I don't think that's an area of concern. Even fully fit I don't think Parling is currently a starter.

Other positions are definitely more troublemsome in terms of cover.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 23 Jan 2014, 9:19 am

Cyril wrote:
munkian wrote:I thought England fans would consider Parling a big loss. I certainly would.
Parling is a fine player, an excellent lineout operator and adds experience. He also stood out on the Lions tour.

England are strong in the 2nd row though so I don't think that's an area of concern. Even fully fit I don't think Parling is currently a starter.

Other positions are definitely more troublemsome in terms of cover.

Ok, maybe I've been talking to too many Tigers fans, who would be your starting Locks ? I'm assuming Lawes and ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 23 Jan 2014, 9:25 am

thomh wrote:England's list is pretty bad. Corbisiero, Parling, Croft, Tuilagi, Wade, Yarde and Foden off the top of my head.

Wilson at Th backup not helpful either. Plus it seems every winger in te country bar Ashton and Strettle is injured
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 23 Jan 2014, 9:26 am

Launchbury, munkian, it will be Lawes and Launchbury. Attwood worth a try out too
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 23 Jan 2014, 9:27 am

And frankly Slater on current form is pressing all 3, so not too worried there
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 23 Jan 2014, 9:29 am

Fairy nuff,
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 23 Jan 2014, 10:46 am

There may well be players who are already out for the entire 6N but what about the players who will inevitably be injured during the 6N. Maybe it's not a case of the best player out injured but if you have a spate of injuries in one position like loose head prop your worst injury to bear might be your last recognized prop in that position.

I know the thread was not intended as a doomsday thread and wants to acknowledge the players who you believe are indispensable. Injuries are sadly a part of this physical game but just as it's impossible to predict who will succumb to injury and who will not, so too is it impossible to anticipate who will be your biggest loss. For example Kieran Read is the last player NZ fans would like to see out of the game but what if Whitelock got injured and our Lineout went to the dogs as a result. Losing your talisman player is always a blow but if the opposition can exploit a weakness in your game, talisman or not you are going to regret that loss.

Even in hindsight it is hard to assess which injury affected you the most. Carter or McCaw's injuries didn't prove costly and Conrad Smith could be the biggest loss but how much grunt did we lose through Romano, which seemed to be lacking?

Sorry for rabbiting on. Pride will be the biggest injury this coming 6N, as moral victories only do so much for covering up scars.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 23 Jan 2014, 10:53 am

Even if hes back earlier than expected JD2 is a huge loss for Wales. Good if he comes back for a few games but he'll have had 0 game time.

Geth and Ryan Jones are big losses too - lots of experience and leadership for the younger players.

Munkian,

Agree with you about Parling I thought he class but they have Launchbury and Lawes who is on fire at the moment.

From our point of view to Jenkins isn't that big a loss as I would start James anyway and depending on what report you read Jones might not be out for that long but while he is out then any injury to Faletau would make me very nervous indeed.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 23 Jan 2014, 11:02 am

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:There may well be players who are already out for the entire 6N but what about the players who will inevitably be injured during the 6N. Maybe it's not a case of the best player out injured but if you have a spate of injuries in one position like loose head prop your worst injury to bear might be your last recognized prop in that position.

I know the thread was not intended as a doomsday thread and wants to acknowledge the players who you believe are indispensable. Injuries are sadly a part of this physical game but just as it's impossible to predict who will succumb to injury and who will not, so too is it impossible to anticipate who will be your biggest loss. For example Kieran Read is the last player NZ fans would like to see out of the game but what if Whitelock got injured and our Lineout went to the dogs as a result. Losing your talisman player is always a blow but if the opposition can exploit a weakness in your game, talisman or not you are going to regret that loss.

Even in hindsight it is hard to assess which injury affected you the most. Carter or McCaw's injuries didn't prove costly and Conrad Smith could be the biggest loss but how much grunt did we lose through Romano, which seemed to be lacking?

Sorry for rabbiting on. Pride will be the biggest injury this coming 6N, as moral victories only do so much for covering up scars.

Definitely good points. On those lines, for England the players we can't afford to lose imo are Cole, Robshaw, Wood and Farrell. Probably in that order

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Thu 23 Jan 2014, 11:07 am

Mickado wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Looks to be coming back into form. As above looked very dangerous against Toulon. Attacking and counter attacking with confidence and made some good breaks ( with a little help from blockers) I think he will play a big part in the 6N and will show his real class.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Thu 23 Jan 2014, 11:08 am

Scotland will suffer if we have injuries in some positions.  Front row and centres especially.  We barely have enough class front rows right now.  Injure 3 props and we are in big trouble  Murray is injured but I don't know if he will be back. Injure some centres and we will be toothless.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Thu 23 Jan 2014, 11:33 am

Loss of Tuilagi, without a doubt.

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Thu 23 Jan 2014, 11:36 am

Parling is a fantastic player, but Lawes and Launchberry both played great in the Autumn internationals.

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 23 Jan 2014, 11:49 am

Even at Leicester Kitchener is better.than parling.

Add in players like Kruis, Barrow etc etc coming though then I really don't see Parling getting back in an England squad.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Thu 23 Jan 2014, 12:03 pm

If we're talking about players we don't want to get injured during the six nations, Then Robshaw.

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 23 Jan 2014, 12:07 pm

I believe we could just about manage with Wood filling the Robshaw role (although these days Robshaw is increasingly 'the man'), but its far from clear about who then comes in to fill the flanker vacancy with Croft out too. I know BV plays at 6 too but the prospect of him playing there at international level is in equal parts scary and exciting.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Thu 23 Jan 2014, 12:16 pm

lostinwales wrote:I believe we could just about manage with Wood filling the Robshaw role (although these days Robshaw is increasingly 'the man'), but its far from clear about who then comes in to fill the flanker vacancy with Croft out too. I know BV plays at 6 too but the prospect of him playing there at international level is in equal parts scary and exciting.

Morgan and BV at 6 & 8 would scare the sh!t out of a lot of sides. With Lawes and Launchbury in the side, there is plenty of mobility and breakdown cover.

The carrying ability of Mako and Billy V, Morgan and shortly Manu is frankly awesome in it's potential. add in the pace of Wade and Yarde on the offload and possibly WOW
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 23 Jan 2014, 12:18 pm

Well if Garvey was selected there wouldn't be a problem at 6!!!!!!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 23 Jan 2014, 7:55 pm

Mickado wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Good news for scotland

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 24 Jan 2014, 9:27 am

Ian Balshaw

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Fri 24 Jan 2014, 2:46 pm

PS Maesteg it is 'bear' as in load, not 'bare' as in naked..just mentionin' Hug 

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Fri 24 Jan 2014, 4:05 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:

Munkian,

Agree with you about Parling I thought he class but they have Launchbury and Lawes who is on fire at the moment.  

From our point of view to Jenkins isn't that big a loss as  I would start James anyway and depending on what report you read Jones might not be out for that long but while he is out then any injury to Faletau would make me very nervous indeed.

Spot on with your Faletau worry with no 8 to cover with R Jones out. The good news is Toby is not injury prone, I am a fan off King but he not cover for Ryan at 8 I prefer Bearman.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 24 Jan 2014, 6:43 pm

glamorganalun wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:

Munkian,

From our point of view to Jenkins isn't that big a loss as  I would start James anyway and depending on what report you read Jones might not be out for that long but while he is out then any injury to Faletau would make me very nervous indeed.

Spot on with your Faletau worry with no 8 to cover with R Jones out. The good news is Toby is not injury prone, I am a fan off King but he not cover for Ryan at 8 I prefer Bearman.

Alun,

Bearman would be better than King but with future in mind Allen or I Jones would have been better still, maybe they will be added or train with squad at least.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 24 Jan 2014, 6:49 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
glamorganalun wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:

Munkian,

Alun,

Bearman would be better than King but with future in mind Allen or I Jones would have been better still, maybe they will be added or train with squad at least.

Ieuan Jones will have a big future by the looks of things. Talented player about to become a first choice blues player.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 25 Jan 2014, 6:58 am

maestegmafia wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:
glamorganalun wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:

Munkian,

Alun,

Ieuan Jones will have a big future by the looks of things. Talented player about to become a first choice blues player.

He's a bit hot headed at times which isn't wholly a bad thing but with Copeland going he does have great chance at the Blues now.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 25 Jan 2014, 9:03 am

He's still young, has a good chance to learn to control that...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 26 Jan 2014, 1:22 pm

Munkian, Parling is a classy player but has been out for large chunks of the season and given how brilliantly Slater and Kitchener have been playing isn't necessarily guaranteed a starting spot at Tigers.

Lawes is in posession for now but I don't think he'll hold onto the shirt for long, not savvy enough despite his continuing development. Had Kitchener been fit enough to play for the Saxons I think we would have been looking at a different lineout maestro by the end of the six nations.

I think the injuries that have disrupted the form of Youngs and Care might actually be as harmful as the loss of Manu. We have no 9s of real international class in any form.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Sun 26 Jan 2014, 2:05 pm

Not sure that's true of Care. He's been playing very well and only missed the one Quins game before England training started. We've no way of knowing whether it has actually affected his form yet.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Sun 26 Jan 2014, 5:36 pm

thomh wrote:Not sure that's true of Care. He's been playing very well and only missed the one Quins game before England training started. We've no way of knowing whether it has actually affected his form yet.

Yeah, but unlike all the other players he coached at Leeds, Lancaster doesn't seem to have much faith in Care. I wish he'd just give him a run of games to see what he could do.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 26 Jan 2014, 6:27 pm

I thought Care has missed more games than that. Given our lack of creativity in the backline a 9 with some vision would help.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 26 Jan 2014, 8:25 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:I thought Care has missed more games than that. Given our lack of creativity in the backline a 9 with some vision would help.

Care is susceptible to glaring errors, that awful kick vs Italy that lead to the Italian try comes to mind.

Electric, quick player, great runner, fast pass, but can make some big mistakes that are costly in a tough tournament.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Sun 26 Jan 2014, 10:49 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:I thought Care has missed more games than that. Given our lack of creativity in the backline a 9 with some vision would help.

Care is susceptible to glaring errors, that awful kick vs Italy that lead to the Italian try comes to mind.

Electric, quick player, great runner, fast pass, but can make some big mistakes that are costly in a tough tournament.

With the possible exception of Tuilagi, he's the player in England's current backline most likely to create something out of nothing. The downside is he can try too hard when it's not working - the Italy game was an example of that. Is it a worthwhile trade off? Lancaster doesn't seem to think so, but I am not so sure at the moment.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down