The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Naseem Hamed vs Azumah Nelson

5 posters

Go down

Naseem Hamed v Azumah Nelson

Naseem Hamed vs Azumah Nelson Vote_lcap46%Naseem Hamed vs Azumah Nelson Vote_rcap 46% 
[ 6 ]
Naseem Hamed vs Azumah Nelson Vote_lcap31%Naseem Hamed vs Azumah Nelson Vote_rcap 31% 
[ 4 ]
Naseem Hamed vs Azumah Nelson Vote_lcap0%Naseem Hamed vs Azumah Nelson Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Naseem Hamed vs Azumah Nelson Vote_lcap0%Naseem Hamed vs Azumah Nelson Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Naseem Hamed vs Azumah Nelson Vote_lcap23%Naseem Hamed vs Azumah Nelson Vote_rcap 23% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 13

Poll closed

Naseem Hamed vs Azumah Nelson Empty Naseem Hamed vs Azumah Nelson

Post by Rodney Fri 24 Jan 2014, 10:04 am

On the old 606 a one poster (can't remember who, apologies )would run some fantasy matchups (usually top 10 ATG at specific weights )on a poll to decide the winner between fighters from different eras/ or had not faced one another in their era. This generated great debate, so how about some alternative matchups starting with Hamed v Nelson.

See how it goes , may start a mini tournament if generates interest. Voting options below , will run this until Monday 12pm. So who wins this 606v2 matchup and how ?

Cheers Rodders

Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Naseem Hamed vs Azumah Nelson Empty Re: Naseem Hamed vs Azumah Nelson

Post by Strongback Fri 24 Jan 2014, 10:30 am

Azumah was a world class fighter. Naz didn't do too well fighting guys on this level.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 24 Jan 2014, 10:39 am

Johnson and Kelley are world class..........If Naz is from Dublin.

Be a tough fight this one............Rod.   Nelson never fought a puzzle like Naseem......He did everything wrong but right !!.........

He had great power also............McDonnell gave Nelson problems which tended to happen when he was feeling less motivated........

However Azumah was the best fighter I ever saw that could intimidate you into working harder than you have to whilst conserving energy himself..........

and he had a wonderful chin............

My guess is Naz could win over 12............But most likely is it would be a big fight (hence he's motivated)and Zoomy works the body and tires Naz out for a ko 11..........

But it's close to pickem..........Nelson just for me !!

Nelson over 15 everyday and anyday.

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Fri 24 Jan 2014, 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 24 Jan 2014, 10:47 am

Kelley lost to every top level fighter he faced.

He had Naz down 3 times.

If Kelley can do that Zoomy nails Naz's ass to the canvas permanently.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 24 Jan 2014, 10:48 am

Don't ruin Roddy's thread..........We all know where you are coming from.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 24 Jan 2014, 10:50 am

Tough one to call, think taking the Barrera fight as a gauge of Naz’s true abilities is more than a little over simplistic. Quite clear he was a work in regression by then and his attitude to training and generally living the life of a fighter was more than a little remiss. Easy to watch that fight and forget just how good a fighter Naz was at his best. Whilst I am by no means going to argue the likes of Robinson, Johnson and Vazquez are quite out of Nelson’s rank but they were good fighters and Naz dispatched them with almost contemptuous ease.

So hard to prepare for a fighter like Naz as he is going to do things nobody else does and his punches are going to come from angles you just don’t expect and those punches are going to hurt, and hurt a lot. However Azumah is teak tough and as truss has said is an expert at forcing a pace, something Naz was not always comfortable with, the likes of Ingle and Wayne Mccullough had him looking ragged at times.

Suspect Naz may see the final bell but think Zoomy probably takes a close, from behind points win.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 24 Jan 2014, 10:52 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Don't ruin Roddy's thread..........We all know where you are coming from.

How dare you accuse me of ruining this thread. I gave my opinion, if you don't agree fair enough but don't be a dick about it.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 24 Jan 2014, 10:54 am

Rowley wrote:Tough one to call, think taking the Barrera fight as a gauge of Naz’s true abilities is more than a little over simplistic. Quite clear he was a work in regression by then and his attitude to training and generally living the life of a fighter was more than a little remiss. Easy to watch that fight and forget just how good a fighter Naz was at his best. Whilst I am by no means going to argue the likes of Robinson, Johnson and Vazquez are quite out of Nelson’s rank but they were good fighters and Naz dispatched them with almost contemptuous ease.

So hard to prepare for a fighter like Naz as he is going to do things nobody else does and his punches are going to come from angles you just don’t expect and those punches are going to hurt, and hurt a lot. However Azumah is teak tough and as truss has said is an expert at forcing a pace, something Naz was not always comfortable with, the likes of Ingle and Wayne Mccullough had him looking ragged at times.

Suspect Naz may see the final bell but think Zoomy probably takes a close, from behind points win.

That's how I see it Rowley..........Cowdell only lasted three minutes and you could argue was winning the 1st round with his "work" against Zoomy........

But a lesson for any young fighter is to watch how Azumah just by his presence makes Cowdell throw so many punches just to keep a guy who isn't doing anything off him...Cowdell never could have lasted anyway.

Poetry in motion.................Did it time and again........................Julio cesar Chavez was the next best I ever saw at this...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 24 Jan 2014, 10:57 am

Rowley wrote:Tough one to call, think taking the Barrera fight as a gauge of Naz’s true abilities is more than a little over simplistic. Quite clear he was a work in regression by then and his attitude to training and generally living the life of a fighter was more than a little remiss. Easy to watch that fight and forget just how good a fighter Naz was at his best. Whilst I am by no means going to argue the likes of Robinson, Johnson and Vazquez are quite out of Nelson’s rank but they were good fighters and Naz dispatched them with almost contemptuous ease.

Naz can't be tagged as being in decline against Kelley. My view is Naz's antics flattered to deceive. He was the epitome of flash. Flash isn't much good if the likes of Azumah is hunting him down.

Naz was good but not on the level of the Mexican trio or Nelson.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 24 Jan 2014, 11:03 am

Barrera that lost to Junior Jones twice you mean........

When you rate a single Brit.......Then you may be taken seriously Mate.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 24 Jan 2014, 11:32 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Barrera that lost to Junior Jones twice you mean........

When you rate a single Brit.......Then you may be taken seriously Mate.

Ok Berrera isn't all that.............good boy.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 24 Jan 2014, 11:33 am

"Barrera" is pretty good though

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 24 Jan 2014, 11:39 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:"Barrera" is pretty good though

My pay grade is above administrative human spell checker.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 24 Jan 2014, 11:47 am

"Mayweather isn't top 10 because he's never fought a defining fight and never beat anybody"............... "Louis is 6 with Ali"

Your Paygrade is way too high my friend.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 24 Jan 2014, 12:00 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:"Mayweather isn't top 10 because he's never fought a defining fight and never beat anybody"............... "Louis is 6 with Ali"

Your Paygrade is way too high my friend.

Pity Tony Blair didn't set my pay grade he was handing out money like confetti to the public sector.

I have Louis in line with the consensus position held by the majority if you care to do some research. There's no need to run Joe down because Ali is your No.1. Also others on this site prefer watching straw weights than heavy weights.

Fighters that don't fight the best available seriously damage their legacy. You worry more about Floyd's legacy than he does.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 24 Jan 2014, 12:03 pm

Are we seriously going to do this again? (That is a rhetorical question by the way, we're not)

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 24 Jan 2014, 12:11 pm

Rowley wrote:Are we seriously going to do this again? (That is a rhetorical question by the way, we're not)

Look who brought it up. He seriously needs new material.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 24 Jan 2014, 12:47 pm

Rowley wrote:Are we seriously going to do this again? (That is a rhetorical question by the way, we're not)

Think it is relevant though to point out that a Brit-hater won't rate Naseem's opponents........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 24 Jan 2014, 3:54 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Think it is relevant though to point out that a Brit-hater won't rate Naseem's opponents........

Are you suggesting I am in some way mimicing your behaviour towards British people.

You have a short memory. I'll try to jog it....... Lennox Lewis.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 24 Jan 2014, 3:55 pm

I'm a big fan of Lewis......Stated often I wish he was around now......

Big Hatton fan too...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 27 Jan 2014, 12:08 am

I don't think Zoomy is a good match up for Hamed from a styles point of view. I think a (relatively) low punch output, hands down style like Naz's is asking for trouble in this one.

I think Nelson, as he did in just about every single fight he ever had, would take up the role of the forward marcher. The question is whether he could stand up to Hamed's power as he comes in. Nelson had a superb chin and it was tiredness as much as anything else which did him against Sanchez. After that, you have to go all the way to the first Fenech fight, almost a decade later at Super-Feather, to see anyone else really shake him up badly. But Hamed would be without question the hardest-hitting Featherweight Zoomy had encountered, and even a fighter as tough and resilient as Nelson would be well advised to take as few clean cracks on the chin from Naz as possible.

I think Hamed's got a decent puncher's chance early on as Nelson could be slow out of the blocks from time to time, but I think Zoomy would stand up to Naz's single shots and eventually start shoving him back and tattooing him with the jab. Appreciate that Hamed didn't do himself justice with the Barrera performance, but seeing how badly he struggled with Marco's jab there is hard to forget here considering how hard and consistent Nelson's was as he came forward.

I just don't think Hamed would throw enough to keep Nelson off him and might end up getting roughed up and worked over on the ropes. Nelson was phenomenally strong and robust at 126 and if Hamed couldn't catch him coming in with a knockout shot I'd fear the worst.

Naz was tough and showed an immense chin as well, so I think it goes the distance, but I'd give the edge to Nelson by decision.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 27 Jan 2014, 9:52 am

In Naz's defence would say that pernell outsmarted Nelson with a minimal amount of fuss.......and that I'd pick a motivated Hamed to beat Barrera anyday of the week......

Don't think Hamed was as cute as Pernell though.....

Like I said it's close to pickem.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 27 Jan 2014, 3:31 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:In Naz's defence would say that pernell outsmarted Nelson with a minimal amount of fuss.......and that I'd pick a motivated Hamed to beat Barrera anyday of the week......

Don't think Hamed was as cute as Pernell though.....

Like I said it's close to pickem.

Barrera wasn't one of your favourites I take it. If Marco can beat prime Morales he beats prime Hamed any day of the week.

He didn't just beat Naz he humiliated him.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 27 Jan 2014, 3:38 pm

Barrera lost to Junior Jones twice........

styles make fights........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 27 Jan 2014, 3:44 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Barrera lost to Junior Jones twice........

styles make fights........

I thought Barrera looked stylish against Naz.

Seriously though Naz has a really good record and a lot of defenses but he never fought a really top fighter before Barrera. I appreciate there are a lot of ifs and buts about Naz's motivation but that was Naz's responsibility.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down