The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Predicting the Team of the Six Nations

+11
munkian
Engine#4
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
gatlandgun
bedfordwelsh
Scratch
flyhalffactory
Knowsit17
GloriousEmpire
TJ
Jhamer25
15 posters

Go down

Predicting the Team of the Six Nations Empty Predicting the Team of the Six Nations

Post by Jhamer25 Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:58 am

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1935105-predicting-the-6-nations-team-of-the-tournament

A thread where we can predict who the stars are going to be in each position. I'll start it off

1. Cian Healey -  With Sean O'brien away he is crucial to Ireland go forward. There are not other ball carriers in the Ireland pack (as dominant as him anyway) and will need to stay fit of Ireland are going to go all the way. No descent back up to cover him

2. Richard Hibbard - Our own wrecking ball, it's great how he has transformed the past few seasons and rightfully deserved the Dove Man of the autumn series. I hope he can stay fit and give us that grunt we need.

3. Adam Jones - he has had a dip in form but he did last season as well just before the six nations, it took him a game to get back into it and i'm sure it will this series. But no matter what anyone says he is the best prop in the competition and will be at the core of our set piece once more.

4. Joe Launchbery - was the best player for England last season and has a work rate that competes with the best locks in the world. He is still only youn and it's only going to get better. He's not the enforcing lock that England are use to having but is great around the pitch, line out and ball carrying. He is crucial to giving England their set piece which will make England a very big threat this year. Like  a young Alyn Wyn dare I say

5. Alyn Wyn Jones - people who know me know how much I respect this man as a payer and Captain, is captain vs Italy and it shouldn't be taken away from him. He is the leader in our team and we wouldn't be the team we have become without him.  World Class and will be a big part of our team if we are to win the tournament

6. Alessandro Zanni - One of the most under rated players I know. Yes Parrise is the Italian talisman and rightfully so but Zanni is a payer who goes through so much work and never get's appreciated for it. I hope people keep an eye on him because when he is on form he is one of the best flankers I know.

7. Chris Henry - I would say Tipuric but we all know that Gatland favors another. But Chris Henry is an out and out 7 which Ireland have missed for the past few seasons. He has been at the heart of an Ulster team who have made four quarter finals and two Heineken cup finals in the past. His break down work is phenomenal and is great at the choke tackle

8. Louis Picomoles -  the hardest position to pick with all teams have well known and successful number 8's in Heaslip, Parrise, Falateu but I believe when this man is at his best he is the best. His handling ability, ball carrying ability  and just all round work ethic makes him one of my most favored players.

9. Danny Care - Surprised he has been playing second choice to Ben Youngs the past few seasons. he is the stand out 9 in England and has that magic touch about him. I hope he starts for England because he is a  joy to watch

10. Johny sexton - No one else really, Wales and Scotland can't decide on our starting 10's (Preistland/Biggar and Wier/Jackson), Farrell doesn't appeal to me one bit and has no attacking edge, Italy have only just found a 10 that they are going to try and develop and France well I don't even think their coaches now. Is by far the best 10 in Europe

11. George North - He i or attack and I just pray that we use him more than we have seen in recent games.  Just give him the ball for Christ sake

12. Wesley Fofana -  Very similar to North in that he hasn't been used enough by his side. Has been wasted on the wing as he is one of the best centers around. I'm sure if he is used well by the french backline he will be a very big threat for all teams

13. Mathieu Bastareud - Nothing is better than watching him at full speed running into forwards and sending them flying. Would give balance to the French center partnership. Same with Fofana, if they can use both then they are guaranteed to break any opposing threat

14. Jack Nowell -  Finally that Lancaster has seen sense and dropped the useless Ashton they can start bring through a winger with real talent. Jack Nowell looks like a really promising player form what i've seen. Will be interesting to see if he starts and how he could match up against the giant wing that many of the team have in the tournament.

15. Leigh Halfpenny - He didn't win the man of the tournament last year for no reason or Lions player of the series for that matter. He hasn't set the Blues on fire so far this season so I hope he come to his best back in the Welsh team.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Predicting the Team of the Six Nations Empty Re: Predicting the Team of the Six Nations

Post by TJ Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:10 am

I think some scots may surprise you. Hogg, Maitland, Swinson, Scott, Weir or either Gray to name a few. Not all by any means but at the end a couple of these will be in contention for a team of the tourney

TJ

Back to top Go down

Predicting the Team of the Six Nations Empty Re: Predicting the Team of the Six Nations

Post by GloriousEmpire Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:18 am

Yes I was just looking down the Scotland team and thinking, they could be dark horses.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:20 am

Until the next time France launch a kit which is a marginal shade darker than Scotland's

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:38 am

Not a bad selection at all.

But don't agree with Adam Jones, who has been fairly average in the scrum and around the park since the Lions (and nothing outstanding during the Lions if I am honest), but with the new laws he has been tucked up like a kipper in the scrum. To balance that out though Hibbard as been bloody awesome since the Lions incredible form in every facet of his game.

I think Halfpenny has had a dip in form and by the end of the 6Ns our own FB Stuart Hogg will take over the title "NHs best 15", and finally at 7 Kelly Brown who should have gone on the Lions tour will be the openside of the tournament.

Others purely from a Scottish viewpoint who could surprise, Maitland on the wing, Swinson  could challenge for the 4 jersey, and Dunbar is coming into some decent form at centre
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:21 am

Nowell?

Seriously, the guy hasn't even pulled on an England shirt in anger and he is already being lauded.

By week three his jockstrap will be on display at the Twickenham Rugby Museum. Please do not touch/sniff the exhiibits.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:03 am

Not sure about A Jones also is Corbs out the whole tournament?

I think one or two of the Scots pack will push for places Denton or Brown possibly.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by gatlandgun Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:03 am

Wales + BOD

gatlandgun

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:10 am

flyhalffactory wrote:Not a bad selection at all.

But don't agree with Adam Jones, who has been fairly average in the scrum and around the park since the Lions (and nothing outstanding during the Lions if I am honest), but with the new laws he has been tucked up like a kipper in the scrum. To balance that out though Hibbard as been bloody awesome since the Lions incredible form in every facet of his game.

I think Halfpenny has had a dip in form and by the end of the 6Ns our own FB Stuart Hogg will take over the title "NHs best 15", and finally at 7 Kelly Brown who should have gone on the Lions tour will be the openside of the tournament.

Others purely from a Scottish viewpoint who could surprise, Maitland on the wing, Swinson  could challenge for the 4 jersey, and Dunbar is coming into some decent form at centre

Is 1/2P in a dip of form? I do think that's a bold statement to make about Hogg though. Pretty similar to what was banded about a year ago.

Brown, I agree on. At present, he's the only Scot I have in my dream team, though I am very tempted by Matt Scott instead of Twelvetrees (who I only have in till JD2 is fit at the mo).

Last edited by Risca Rev on Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:13 am

Scratch wrote:Nowell?

Seriously, the guy hasn't even pulled on an England shirt in anger and he is already being lauded.

By week three his jockstrap will be on display at the Twickenham Rugby Museum. Please do not touch/sniff the exhiibits.

C'mon the guy had two tries already in the premiership, he's a legend1

Lets see if he can stay on past the 60 minute mark against France.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:52 am

TJ wrote:I think some scots may surprise you.  Hogg, Maitland, Swinson, Scott, Weir or either Gray to name a few.  Not all by any means but at the end a couple of these will be in contention for a team of the tourney

Yes I think I have been a bit harsh on the Scots here I must admit. Halfpenny hasn't been in his best form but I haven't seen much of Hogg, has he been injured?

Anyway I have heard a lot on Swinson from people who have watched him, I will keep an eye our for him because I haven't seen him play that much rugby. Gray seem to be out of favor in all fairness and personally I have always considered Hamilton a better player than him.

And yes folks Nowell that's who I said, A shot in the dark but he every time I have seen him play he has been the stand out player. If you don;t agree make your own and choose someone else. I'm sure a lot of English posters would agree with me, if he starts he could shock a few who haven't seen him. Knock him all you like but it's ebst not to if you haven;t seen him play

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:54 am

Ah, Scott is on the bench. I thought a team I saw on twittor didn't have Lamont starting, but the Beeb do. Will have to look into it more. Might leave 36 in then (fancy something different when most people picking BOD).

I honestly thought 1/2P was playing alright but more people are saying different. Still not going to take him out of my team, particularly as a kicker.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:59 am

flyhalffactory wrote:Not a bad selection at all.

Fair points but i don;t think Kelly will be the best openside, I see him as a similar figure to Robshaw. Very good tackler and a descent ball carrier but i think he is more of a blindside. Scotland have two great 7's in Rennie and Barclay but Barclay isn't in the team and Rennie is only just coming back from injury. Also he would have big challenged from out and out 7's like Chris Henry and Tipuric. Kelly is a great player though and a good captain, I've seen that since his stint at Sarries.

Scotland have always been a dangerous side to me and should be a dark horses or under dogs and have the players to compete for the 1st spot. I'm sure as soon as Cotter turns up he will bring a lot to the team, especially consistency. I hope Scotland do well because they are my second favorites to win if we screw up but i just think they lack the experience at 10,12,13.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Engine#4 Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:43 am

Jhamer25 wrote:Cian Healy - No descent back up to cover him

Jack McGrath.  When Healy was injured at the start of the season there was talk that he would have to play exceptionally well upon his return to win back his place. To be fair to him - he did  notworthy

Engine#4

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:40 pm

TJ wrote:I think some scots may surprise you.  Hogg, Maitland, Swinson, Scott, Weir or either Gray to name a few.  Not all by any means but at the end a couple of these will be in contention for a team of the tourney

Am I the only one who thinks Gray is more than slightly overrated ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:19 pm

1 Vainapolo
2 Rory Best
3 Dan Cole
4 AW Jones
5 Paul O'Connell
6 Peter O'Mahoney
7 Chris Robshaw
8 Sergio Parisse
9 Mike Phillips
10 Owen Farrell
11 George North
12 Lesley Fofana
13 Brian O'Driscoll
14 Alex Cuthbert
15 Leigh Halfpenny
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:26 pm

1) Domingo
2) Hibbard
3) Mas
4) AWJ
5) Lawes
6) Zanni
7) Robshaw
8) Faletau
9) Care
10) Sexton
11) North
12) Fofana
13) JD2 on return
14) Maitland
15) Halfpenny
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:26 pm

munkian wrote:

Ritchie? He has to show us something in this six nations for sure. Ikkle Johnny? A better player many say - not quite as tall but a better footballer. I'd love to see him and Swinson play together.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:29 pm

Totally agree with Zanni, an awesome player. May have been harsh on Ireland in my selection but without SOB And also Zebo I'm unsure who will start in several positions, especially the backrow. I'd love to see Henderson at 6 or even lock though, big future for him
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:30 pm

Neatly put Johnny Gray in my team too but then the Sassanach bias kicked in
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:33 pm

TJ wrote:
munkian wrote:

Ritchie?  He has to show us something in this six nations for sure.  Ikkle Johnny?  A better player many say - not quite as tall but a better footballer.  I'd love to see him and Swinson play together.

Yeah, Ritchie. Never really see him do much in the Six Nations and he's been around a while now.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:36 pm

Aye - he needs to live up to his reputation - however he does look in very good nick and raring to go. We shall see.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:53 pm

1.Domingo
2.Dylan Hartley
3.Dan Cole
4.Alun Wyn Jones
5.Richie Gray
6.Tom Wood
7.Kelly Brown
8.Jamie Heaslip
9.Jean-Marc Doussain
10.Owen Farrell
11.George North
12.Wesley Fofana
13.Tomaso Benvenuti
14.Joann Huget
15.Mike Brown

5 English
1 Irish
2 Scottish
1 Italian
4 French
2 Welsh

Thought I would go with some slightly more interesting selections.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:32 pm

Pretty sure Gray picked up MOM awards in two 6 nations games. (Thinking back to scrum.com fantasy scores)

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:52 pm

Playing Italy in a poor Scotland side ?  Very Happy 
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:03 pm

Do you think people will still choose Parisse in 20 years based on his previous form and reputation?

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:07 pm

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:Do you think people will still choose Parisse in 20 years based on his previous form and reputation?

Stuart Lancaster wouldve dropped him at 24

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:16 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
Tattie Scones RRN wrote:Do you think people will still choose Parisse in 20 years based on his previous form and reputation?

Stuart Lancaster wouldve dropped him at 24

After playing him on the wing
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down