The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roger Strikes Whilst The Iron Is Hot

+13
erictheblueuk
kingraf
laverfan
yloponom68
CaledonianCraig
Jahu
Lionel Hutz
JuliusHMarx
barrystar
bogbrush
lydian
YvonneT
hawkeye
17 posters

Go down

Roger Strikes Whilst The Iron Is Hot Empty Roger Strikes Whilst The Iron Is Hot

Post by hawkeye Wed 29 Jan 2014, 6:16 pm

No one cares about the Davis Cup do they? Well just when everyone is distracted and his main rival is laid up somewhere in Majorca (probably flat on a hard board) Roger has decided that perhaps he does care. Together with the new world number three they are going to face Serbia in the first tie in this years campaign to win the Davis Cup for Switzerland. It should be like taking candy off a baby considering the present Serbian number one is off on his holidays... (But maybe that's what Rafa was thinking just a few days ago...)

https://2img.net/h/s3.postimg.cc/9rdylsak3/Be_E2_4_CIAER2_Oe.jpg

Olympic gold medals may appear very shiny to some but no one can deny that the Davis Cup is huge  Wink Can Roger lift it with the help of Stan?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Roger Strikes Whilst The Iron Is Hot Empty Re: Roger Strikes Whilst The Iron Is Hot

Post by hawkeye Wed 29 Jan 2014, 6:27 pm

Just thought I should make it clear (in case it wasn't) that Federer has changed his mind and will be playing Davis Cup this weekend against Serbia

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Roger Strikes Whilst The Iron Is Hot Empty Re: Roger Strikes Whilst The Iron Is Hot

Post by YvonneT Wed 29 Jan 2014, 9:38 pm

I just saw this news and I have to say it made me cringe.

Last week Federer doesn't want to take part in this team competition. Now, suddenly he's seen the players Serbia have on their team and thinks he'll come along, despite not being needed. I do think Switzerland have a great chance in this year's competition - the draw is perfect for them with France, Spain and Czech Rep in the other half. But that was the case before today as well. He should have left this one to Stan.

I think I'll have to cheer for Serbia now  Crying or Very sad

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 29 Jan 2014, 9:50 pm

Well put Yvonne.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 29 Jan 2014, 10:25 pm

I don't know which is worse; opportunistically jumping on for glory or actually buying this patriotism nonsense.

I guess I have to go with the former, it has the advantage of being rational.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by YvonneT Wed 29 Jan 2014, 10:33 pm

I thought I was maybe being harsh....I mean, he will lessen the work for Stan if he manages to win one of his singles....then again, that was the case a week ago as well.

He really doesn't want to get a John Terry reputation:

Roger Strikes Whilst The Iron Is Hot 9k=

Roger Strikes Whilst The Iron Is Hot Z

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Wed 29 Jan 2014, 10:59 pm

I did not see any need to be cynical; joining up with the new slam champion to try and make sure they go through so, at worst, they avoid the playoff as I understand.

If he wants to win the DC in his career he may not have a better chance than this year and the Serbia tie has gone from being tough to very winnable.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by YvonneT Wed 29 Jan 2014, 11:25 pm

I did want to see Switzerland in the final - they've a straightforward route to get there and they are now favourites with the bookies to win the the whole thing. And I always expected Fed to join either next round or in the semi-finals.

But they weren't in danger of losing this tie against Serbia - who don't have anyone inside the top 100 in the team. To me, it just doesn't look good to say no to joining a team for a "tough" tie (leaving Stan to do all the hard work) but then decide to join when the tie suddenly looks "very winnable".

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by YvonneT Wed 29 Jan 2014, 11:32 pm

I'm glad I don't bet - odds are odd!

Germany are favourites to beat Spain this weekend, but Spain are second favourites after Switzerland to win the whole thing.

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 29 Jan 2014, 11:38 pm

barrystar. I agree. It might be fun... presumably it's being played in Switzerland and without Djokovic the hope must be that it won't be too taxing. Why not?

Personally I would find it more fun if Djokovic wasn't off skiing...

YvonneT. Really! Switzerland are favorites to win the whole thing? But now that I think about it with that team I suppose they must be.

Just off to see who is playing for Spain. Wouldn't it be great to have a Swiss/Spain Final  Smile

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 29 Jan 2014, 11:38 pm

Who knows - maybe Stan told him he was knackered and could he help out?
Maybe he fancies some extra match practice with the new racket?
Maybe he always planned to see how he felt after the AO?

Anyway, it's Team GB we want to win, who cares about the Swiss? Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 29 Jan 2014, 11:45 pm

Serbia are playing at home! (I didn't expect that) What a treat for the Serbian fan's to get an unexpected visit from Federer.

Germany are at home against Spain The German team is Haas, Kholschrieber, Mayer and Brands. The Spanish team are Feliciano Lopez, Verdasco, Bautista Agut and Marrero.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 29 Jan 2014, 11:47 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Who knows - maybe Stan told him he was knackered and could he help out?
Maybe he fancies some extra match practice with the new racket?
Maybe he always planned to see how he felt after the AO?

Anyway, it's Team GB we want to win, who cares about the Swiss? Smile

"we"?  Very Happy

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Lionel Hutz Thu 30 Jan 2014, 12:36 am

Maybe he just wants to catch up with Stan.

Lionel Hutz

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu 30 Jan 2014, 7:50 am

He was paid by Serbian government to come and do a little marketing and put Serbia on news.

Djoko getting a slap all over the serbian news for being a chicken scheisse and dropping out  Laugh 

Pic from yesterday.

Roger Strikes Whilst The Iron Is Hot 2hnrq12
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 30 Jan 2014, 8:16 am

Perhaps Edberg having an influence here? We all know he loved playing in the Davis Cup and saw great value in it.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 30 Jan 2014, 8:17 am

Lionel Hutz wrote:Maybe he just wants to catch up with Stan.

That's what I thought, a bit of fun and solidarity. Who knows, perhaps Stan said so something like, let's give this a real go now when they spoke. Stan is still the same player, but his elevation to slam champion must give him a boost and make the swiss team look a lot more formidable. Fed would look pretty churlish for not going too.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by yloponom68 Thu 30 Jan 2014, 11:13 am

Hey, whatever his reasons - the Davis Cup and Olympic Singles gold are the two biggest "holes" in Roger's resume, if you're going to look for that sort of thing. If he feels like playing and gunning for that in 2014 - more power to him - just a shame it can't be Spain, Serbia, Switzerland, UK in the semis (all these but Spain in the bottom half) - with Rafa, Rog, Novak and Andy - all in fighting form. Would be good to see.

yloponom68

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu 30 Jan 2014, 3:00 pm

Jahu wrote:

Djoko getting a slap all over the serbian news for being a chicken scheisse and dropping out  Laugh 

Really? You know I never thought of that angle. I wonder if it's too late for Novak to change his mind, take off his skis and join the team? It was not perhaps the news he would have wanted to see whilst on holiday.

Wouldn't it be great if the Davis Cup final this year was between Switzerland and Spain? Say Nadal won both singles. The decider would probably be the best of five doubles between Federer/Wawrinka and Nadal/? That would be a nice ticket to have. I know it's a bit premature but does anyone know what country would host the next tie between these two countries?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 30 Jan 2014, 10:31 pm

The Serbian team (ATP rankings in parenthesis) of Lajovic (102), Krajinovic(237), Bozoljac(268) and Zimonjic (1355=) = 1962 vs Federer (8), Wawrinka (3), Chiudinelli (180), Lammer (441) = 632, seems to be a perfect recipe for a run to the finals. Laugh

hawkeye wrote:… his main rival is laid up somewhere in Majorca (probably flat on a hard board) …

The flat on a hard board phrase was used for someone who had left the mortal world. Please let him win at least 14 big ones, before you send him elsewhere. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 31 Jan 2014, 12:28 am

How many in the Serbian team are serving bans?  I thought they had a few in the top 100 rankings.

2 Djokovic, Novak (SRB)
69 Tipsarevic, Janko (SRB)
84 Troicki, Viktor (SRB)
102 Lajovic, Dusan (SRB)
237 Krajinovic, Filip (SRB)
268 Bozoljac, Ilija (SRB)
300 +

In Comparison this is the Legacy of multimillions of pounds spent on & by Roger Draper
6 Murray, Andy (GBR)
146 Evans, Daniel (GBR)
175 Ward, James (GBR)
249 Cox, Daniel (GBR)
296 Corrie, Edward (GBR)
300+

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 31 Jan 2014, 5:28 am

It's a little funny that Roger seems to be trying to sneak through a DC... but good luck to him - with the right draw him and Wawrinka could really take the whole thing
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 31 Jan 2014, 12:43 pm

kingraf wrote:It's a little funny that Roger seems to be trying to sneak through a DC... but good luck to him - with the right draw him and Wawrinka could really take the whole thing

Now that SUI has a brand-new slam champion, perhaps Federer feels the need to enhance his resume as well.

He did not want to compete with Wawrinka for the GOATness because of the graffiti on FedererHalle (oops Sorry JakobsHalle) had Wawrinka > Nadal > Federer > Djokovic > Murray. Must be Chiudinelli playing a prank on his friend. Laugh

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 31 Jan 2014, 5:44 pm

the problem, LF... is if Federer wins a DC this year, Wawrinka also wins one!
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Sat 01 Feb 2014, 2:08 am

kingraf wrote:the problem, LF... is if Federer wins a DC this year, Wawrinka also wins one!

Why is this a problem ?
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 01 Feb 2014, 5:41 am

Because, as LF said... Federer wants to win DC to elevate his GOAT credentials above Wawrinka... but being in the same team, if one wins they both win, and the effect is negated..
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat 01 Feb 2014, 12:18 pm

kingraf wrote:Because, as LF said... Federer wants to win DC to elevate his GOAT credentials above Wawrinka... but being in the same team, if one wins they both win, and the effect is negated..
Sorry, I've been away a few days. Has something big happened? Someone seems to be saying Roger needs a DC to pip Stan in the GOAT stakes and isn't using smileys.

It's more probable that I've slipped into a parallel Universe. Sorry everyone, it's happened before but I'll adjust in time. Please bear with me in the interim.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sat 01 Feb 2014, 1:41 pm

bogbrush wrote:It's more probable that I've slipped into a parallel Universe. Sorry everyone, it's happened before but I'll adjust in time. Please bear with me in the interim.
You'll love it here.

Federer is only a little below his prime and the reason he is ranked #8 is because everyone else has got better.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by MMT1 Mon 03 Feb 2014, 7:21 pm

On paper, the swiss have the best singles players in the world, and a pretty good doubles team as well. Actually, there's no reason why they can't win it all if they both play all of the ties, but there's about as much chance of that happening as a puppy with two peters not enjoying himself.
MMT1
MMT1

http://tennis-column.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Mon 03 Feb 2014, 9:53 pm

Not sure why there would be criticism of Federer for deciding to play at the last minute.

1.He also said he was open to playing the tie if he felt okay physically after the AO. 2. If we go by the interviews of Stan, Luthi, and Fed- Stan talked to him when Fed called to congratulate him on the AO and told him that he was fatigued and carrying a slight wrist injury. I think that compelled Federer to show up to at least be insurance. 3. Federer also said he wanted to spend the few days with Stan to celebrate and that the "week was all about Stan and celebrating his accomplishment" 4. Federer has not shirked him responsibilities as an ambassador of Swiss Tennis. As Luthi said "every time Roger steps onto the court he is representing Switzerland and I hope we don't lose sight of that" I think Federer has done a pretty good job at it. He's also played his fair share of Davis Cup matches for Switzerland with little hope of the team advancing (so unselfishly) as he was the only viable top player on the team. 5. His baby is rumored to be due during one of his tournament breaks but during the Davis Cup schedule... perhaps he realized this was the best opportunity to play given the unknowns of having a new baby. 6. He does need to play some ties to qualify for the Olympics so again- not knowing what was in the future- decided to play this one.

Just seems a little strange to me that people criticize him when he doesn't play, but criticize him when he does play. Even if he is doing it this year partly because he sees an opportunity to add a title.. so what--- he's earned that right.

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon 03 Feb 2014, 10:24 pm

@KR… I agree, if SUI win DC, it will be both Stan the Man, as well as Fedrinka (a la Beijing 2008).

@MMT… The Czech's did it, CRO did it, so can SUI (even though Federer is a bit older).

@Truffin… he has played DC, despite his detractors who say he plays/played at his convenience. Current ATP #1 and #2 rested in Feb.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Tue 04 Feb 2014, 3:01 am

Federer announced he has committed to play DC in April. Looks like barring injury or baby birth- he's all in for this year.

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Tue 04 Feb 2014, 8:08 am

TRuffin wrote:He's also played his fair share of Davis Cup matches for Switzerland with little hope of the team advancing (so unselfishly) as he was the only viable top player on the team.

I've never got this argument. Every DC match Fed has played since 2005 has been with Stan who, whilst not as good a few years ago as he is now, was still one of the best second singles players available. It's Stan who has consistently played in the absence of Fed knowing that even if he wins both singles the likelihood is they will lose anyway.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue 04 Feb 2014, 8:29 am

Stan has been downright pi55ed off with Fed in the past for turning his back on DC, he's the one who's kept the Swiss flag flying in DC terms. Glad Fed has decided to play, probably knows its his last chance of DC glory.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by YvonneT Tue 04 Feb 2014, 1:32 pm

laverfan wrote:@Truffin… he has played DC, despite his detractors who say he plays/played at his convenience. Current ATP #1 and #2 rested in Feb.
Surely it's hard to argue against the point that he's played at his own convenience. The same is true of all the top players, of course - some have shown more commitment than others, but even the among the most commited like Nadal, Berdych and Djokovic, interest varies over time and other targets become priority.

Re the relative commitment of Federer and Wawrinka, Fed has played 23 ties in the last 16 years, Wawrinka 20 ties in last 11 years. Federer has a much better record:
Fed singles 33-7, doubles 11-8
Wawrinka 18-12, doubles 3-10

Given the teams remaining at the QF stage, Switzerland do seem havy favourite, but something about their record just implies that they don't work well as a team (just as Berdych and Stepanek's record imply they work really well as a team). It's going to be interesting for sure.

I hear Truffin's points but can't help focussing on the fact that Federer wasn't named in the team for a potentially difficult tie against Serbia and only joined the team when it became clear it was, in fact, an fairly easy tie. I also remember this incident from 2012 (which perhaps give some insight into why they don't work well as team):
http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/blog/busted_racquet/post/Winless-Roger-Federer-blamed-Switzerland-8217-s?urn=ten,wp4747

Federer has indeed "earned the right" to try for the title this year but I'd rather another team wins.

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Tue 04 Feb 2014, 5:05 pm

Born Slippy wrote:
TRuffin wrote:He's also played his fair share of Davis Cup matches for Switzerland with little hope of the team advancing (so unselfishly) as he was the only viable top player on the team.

I've never got this argument. Every DC match Fed has played since 2005 has been with Stan who, whilst not as good a few years ago as he is now, was still one of the best second singles players available. It's Stan who has consistently played in the absence of Fed knowing that even if he wins both singles the likelihood is they will lose anyway.

I believe the issue was that Fed and Stan who wasn't as good or consistent as he is now, also had to turn around and play doubles and then the next singles for the Swiss to have a chance... You can see from their records that Stan wasn't holding up his end as well from a success standpoint for many of those years... but the main problem was it was a two man team-- one great and one good...  vs some teams that could count on a independent doubles team or some help in other areas.. The Spaniards could play 5 deep if they wanted most years.

Last edited by TRuffin on Tue 04 Feb 2014, 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Tue 04 Feb 2014, 5:11 pm

YvonneT wrote:
laverfan wrote:@Truffin… he has played DC, despite his detractors who say he plays/played at his convenience. Current ATP #1 and #2 rested in Feb.
Surely it's hard to argue against the point that he's played at his own convenience. The same is true of all the top players, of course - some have shown more commitment than others, but even the among the most commited like Nadal, Berdych and Djokovic, interest varies over time and other targets become priority.

Re the relative commitment of Federer and Wawrinka, Fed has played 23 ties in the last 16 years, Wawrinka 20 ties in last 11 years. Federer has a much better record:
Fed singles 33-7, doubles 11-8
Wawrinka 18-12, doubles 3-10

Given the teams remaining at the QF stage, Switzerland do seem havy favourite, but something about their record just implies that they don't work well as a team (just as Berdych and Stepanek's record imply they work really well as a team). It's going to be interesting for sure.

I hear Truffin's points but can't help focussing on the fact that Federer wasn't named in the team for a potentially difficult tie against Serbia and only joined the team when it became clear it was, in fact, an fairly easy tie. I also remember this incident from 2012 (which perhaps give some insight into why they don't work well as team):
http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/blog/busted_racquet/post/Winless-Roger-Federer-blamed-Switzerland-8217-s?urn=ten,wp4747

Federer has indeed "earned the right" to try for the title this year but I'd rather another team wins.

In terms of the 2012 incident, there has been much discussion on the Federer fan forum on his website the past week about it, and it's shown from the transcripts that Federer was misquoted when a newspaper mistranslated what Federer said in French about Stan.  He did not say Stan played poorly. It was a misquote, Federer said it was not true when asked about it, and Stan said he talked to Federer and didn't believe Federer had said it.. so I don't think it's an issue nor true... just a typical story that will float around even if not true.

In reality- Federer and Stan are quite friendly.. Stan spoke glowingly throughout the AO about Federer and what he has meant in helping him be a better player. Said it was totally about Federer being such a good guy that Luthi is able to help coach Stan during tournaments. Fed and Stan practice together constantly.

From the video I saw of the DC- it looks like Federer was enjoying himself immensely throughout the weekend. He and Stan were like little kids cheering on the doubles team, and the Swiss team looked close to me when celebrating. I just don't see where there is anything different with Fed deciding to play than any of the other top players.

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by YvonneT Tue 04 Feb 2014, 11:05 pm

Here's an article from that time with some thoughts on the mistranslation:
http://tennis.si.com/2012/02/13/roger-federers-davis-cup-criticism-lost-in-translation/
It still doesn't sound as if he was super happy that weekend!

As I said, they should win this year - it certainly makes the Davis Cup more interesting this year to see if they can do it.

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down