The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Donald Curry vs Aaron Pryor circa '82-'85

5 posters

Go down

Donald Curry vs Aaron Pryor circa '82-'85 Empty Donald Curry vs Aaron Pryor circa '82-'85

Post by hazharrison Wed 29 Jan 2014, 23:05

I don't think I've seen this one debated before. Who wins?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Donald Curry vs Aaron Pryor circa '82-'85 Empty Re: Donald Curry vs Aaron Pryor circa '82-'85

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 29 Jan 2014, 23:26

Interesting fight, don't think I've ever seen it discussed before either. I guess by the time Curry really started to look likes something special in about 1984, Pryor had already started to tail off just a little, becoming inactive and drifting towards drug addiction. They never quite hit their zenith at the same time.

I'd feel comfortable having Curry as a warm-ish favourite.

It always amazes me that Pryor was actually able to outbox Arguello at certain times, but his success against Alexis was also based on being able to work his way inside quickly while avoiding shots coming in, and also standing up to them if he couldn't avoid them, often smothering Arguello inside (Arguello wasn't all that hot fighting there).

But Curry was no former 126-135 titlist; this was a guy with genuine knockout power in both hands at Welterweight. He was quicker than Arguello, too, so Pryor would really have to utilise some absolutely exquisite movement coming in if he's going to have a chance here.

Just think it's asking a bit too much of Pryor to a) overwhelm someone with his ferocity like he did to the likes of Arguello or Cervantes when he's facing someone so much faster than them, and b) stand up to the barrage of Curry straight punches and counters he's likely to walk on to, given that Curry was the naturally bigger, stronger man.

After making himself a star against Alexis, Pryor only faced one really speedy 'stylist', which was Hinton - and he didn't look good at all in that one. Wild, struggling with the jab and easy to counter. Curry's better than Hinton in all areas and hits more than hard enough to command Pryor's respect and make him think twice about wading in, which Hinton couldn't do.

Appreciate that Pryor was falling away a little by then, but can't ignore it when I think about him facing Curry. I think Curry counters and outspeeds him to either a fairly comfortable decision or a late stoppage.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Donald Curry vs Aaron Pryor circa '82-'85 Empty Re: Donald Curry vs Aaron Pryor circa '82-'85

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 30 Jan 2014, 10:58

Gary Hinton lost to the awful Manley I seem to remember..........

In fairness to Pryor he had "problems" when he scraped past Hinton..........

At 147 have to back Curry.........Not sure Pryor would be as effective at 147........

The sharp Curry that took apart Stafford would be too much for Aaron..........Too many angles for a guy who's defence wasn't all that.

Think he gets stopped too..........

Curry ko 7..........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Thu 30 Jan 2014, 12:59

Think Curry would have to start a heavy fav at 147 Pryor would be too small and defensively deficient. Also don't think Pryor could even crack the weak Curry family chin. Pryor would be aggressive but Curry would counter him, possibly putting him on the canvas  but I think Pryor's abnormal energy carries him the distance. Curry by unanimous decision. Physically, Curry is just too big for a Pryor.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Thu 30 Jan 2014, 13:33

I see Curry throwing straighter shots inside the arcs of Pryor's less cultured shots and slowly but surely busting him up. Curry seemed to be able to stand right in front of his opponents and still not get nailed, and busy as Pryor was I just din't think he can take Curry out of his stride.. Curry by TKO late in the fight.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 30 Jan 2014, 14:16

Goes to show what a waste of talent Curry was........

Should have moved up after Rodriguez..........He was told.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down