The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland vs Wales, 8th February 2014

+77
Seagultaf
maestegmafia
whocares
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
MrsP
Liam
Marshes
Hookisms and Hyperbole
thebandwagonsociety
Cyril
slartibartfast
GunsGerms
BlueMuff
dragonbreath
BigTrevsbigmac
ME-109
Taffineastbourne
SecretFly
tatterd
wolfball
Jhamer25
toml
kingjohn7
Artful_Dodger
profitius
Gretgael1
nganboy
bedfordwelsh
UlstermaninGlasgow
international197
Mr Bounce
brennomac
gavstar
jimmyinthewell68
Feckless Rogue
westisbest
overlordofthewest
Nematode
The Bachelor
samuraidragon
welshy824 (new)
JmD
Rory_Gallagher
Duty281
sheephead
Hood83
Taylorman
nathan
Poorfour
Metal Tiger
monty junior
nottins_again
sportform
Engine#4
kiakahaaotearoa
majesticimperialman
asoreleftshoulder
Scratch
mystiroakey
quinsforever
glamorganalun
Biltong
wrfc1980
nobbled
HammerofThunor
TJ
flyhalffactory
yappysnap
LeinsterFan4life
Scrumpy
Knowsit17
Pal Joey
Golden
Nachos Jones
tigertattie
rodders
Notch
81 posters

Page 10 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Ireland vs Wales, 8th February 2014 - Page 10 Empty Ireland vs Wales, 8th February 2014

Post by Notch Sat 08 Feb 2014, 2:04 pm

First topic message reminder :

IRELAND: Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster); Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster), Brian O'Driscoll (UCD/Leinster), Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster), Dave Kearney (Lansdowne/Leinster); Jonathan Sexton (Racing Metro 92), Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster); Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster), Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster), Mike Ross (Clontarf/Leinster), Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster), Paul O'Connell (Young Munster/Munster) (capt), Peter O'Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster), Chris Henry (Malone/Ulster), Jamie Heaslip (Dublin University/Leinster).

Replacements: Sean Cronin (St. Mary's College/Leinster), Jack McGrath (St. Mary's College/Leinster), Martin Moore (Lansdowne/Leinster), Dan Tuohy (Ballymena/Ulster), Tommy O'Donnell (UL Bohemians/Munster), Isaac Boss (Terenure College/Leinster), Paddy Jackson (Dungannon/Ulster), Fergus McFadden (Old Belvedere/Leinster).

WALES: Leigh Halfpenny (Cardiff Blues); Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), Scott Williams (Scarlets), Jamie Roberts (Racing Metro 92), George North (Northampton Saints); Rhys Priestland (Scarlets), Mike Phillips (Racing Metro 92); Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Richard Hibbard (Ospreys), Adam Jones (Ospreys), Andrew Coombs (Newport Gwent Dragons), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Dan Lydiate (Racing Metro 92), Sam Warburton (Cardiff Blues) (capt), Toby Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons).

Replacements: Ken Owens (Scarlets), Paul James (Bath), Rhodri Jones (Scarlets), Jake Ball (Scarlets), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Rhys Webb (Ospreys), James Hook (Perpignan), Liam Williams (Scarlets).

Referee: Wayne Barnes (England)
Assistant Referees: Glen Jackson (New Zealand), JP Doyle (England)
Television Match Official: Graham Hughes (England)

Leprechaun Wales 
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Ireland vs Wales, 8th February 2014 - Page 10 Empty Re: Ireland vs Wales, 8th February 2014

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 08 Feb 2014, 8:43 pm

Gatlands use of the bench today was poor or was it the options he had on the bench given the way the game was going.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Ireland vs Wales, 8th February 2014 - Page 10 Empty Re: Ireland vs Wales, 8th February 2014

Post by Notch Sat 08 Feb 2014, 8:46 pm

Can't believe he didn't bring on Hook when they were chasing the game. Whats the point in having Hook around at all then?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by toml Sat 08 Feb 2014, 8:49 pm

We're not there yet, but Schmidt is getting us back to where we should be after 3 years of underperforming internationally.
2017 Lions tour coached by Schmidt and full of Irish? Wink naaaa he would just pick the best players.  angel 

toml

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 08 Feb 2014, 8:51 pm

Notch wrote:Can't believe he didn't bring on Hook when they were chasing the game. Whats the point in having Hook around at all then?

What I found even more galling was that he didn't introduce Tipuric.... considering that Wales were getting trounced at the breakdown. He should have started Tipuric but even in failing to do that at half time or even at around 50 minutes I was sure he would bring on Tipuric to try and turn the breakdown situation around, where O'Mahony, Henry and Best were having a field day. He didn't and I really have no idea why.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 08 Feb 2014, 8:55 pm

Artful,

Tipuric done himself no favours last week so was happy with the starting line up but given Lydiate (am huge fan) was getting pinged off the park I would have brought him on soon into 2nd half.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sat 08 Feb 2014, 8:57 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:WRUburton has divided the squad since becoming the WRUs golden boy, I think he made the wrong call in signing that contract it might have looked good on paper but boy it looks like he has upset a few of his team mates.

I agree since he signed that contract he as looked nothing like he did last year. I did wander if he thought or had the idea that if he signed with the WRU Every body else would follow his lead. He would be come the(Head Boy) of Wales.

Correct if i am wrong but he is the only one too sign right?

Yes he is but thought he had a good game today and no worse than he has been before he signed so fail to see what difference of his signature makes.
he was horrific today. got turned over several times. conceded 2 penalties for holding on when he couldnt give the ball back (and it wasnt as if he had made lots of yards and got isolated), two really poor knockons in the loose. and no leadership on the pitch. he has been brought back too soon. and i think he just talks a good game but doesnt lead on the field in the way that great teams captains do.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:00 pm

Shame for Tuohy who was just getting a run of games. I think Mike McCarthy will replace him. McCarthy is more experienced than Henderson so schmidt will probably go with him.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:05 pm

I said that if Ireland bring through their club form then they were the favorites to win the whole thing. If they keep up that form then they are on the verge of a GS.

Disappointed is a very nice way to put my teams performance.
All of our players just didn't look like they cared. I though Coombs was out best player but wasn't outstanding, Gethin did ok as well and proved his selection at scrum time, couldn't do much with Ross collapsing it all the time.

I for one hope Mike Phillips goes on the pi$$ again, gets into a brawl and is band from welsh rugby for life. He is killing our attack in the backs, with mike at the helm we have always relied on our forwards and they have done what they needed in the Six Nations but it proved today that when out pack isn't playing well then our whole structure collapses and poor little Mike is clueless. I hate the man as he gives the team a bad image and is why past his sell by date.

9,10 is our main weakness and it needs to be solved, i'm not as angry with Rhys with Rhys but our kicking game is a joke.
Hibbard had his worst game in a good while, wasn't like him. It also proves that how much our pack relies on Alyn Wyn because i though he was anonymous today and it showed in our set piece. Not like him.
Leigh hasn't been in good form since the Lions tour now and was outclassed by Kearney.

We will bounce back i know that but a few changes and a kick up the backside is needed.

Ireland were flawless and Sexton and Murray showed how real international half backs should play. O'Mahony my MOM and O'Connell outclassed Alyn Wyn. Ireland wanted it more and on the day were the far better team. Ireland to win the GS now boys, they can do it.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:08 pm

quinsforever wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:WRUburton has divided the squad since becoming the WRUs golden boy, I think he made the wrong call in signing that contract it might have looked good on paper but boy it looks like he has upset a few of his team mates.

I agree since he signed that contract he as looked nothing like he did last year. I did wander if he thought or had the idea that if he signed with the WRU Every body else would follow his lead. He would be come the(Head Boy) of Wales.

Yes he is but thought he had a good game today and no worse than he has been before he signed so fail to see what difference of his signature makes.
he was horrific today. got turned over several times. conceded 2 penalties for holding on when he couldnt give the ball back (and it wasnt as if he had made lots of yards and got isolated), two really poor knockons in the loose. and no leadership on the pitch. he has been brought back too soon. and i think he just talks a good game but doesnt lead on the field in the way that great teams captains do.

Quins,

I agree on his leadership but dis-agree on his performance, I thought him Coombs and Faletau were our bets 3 on the pitch, he was poorly supported the rest as for bringing him back to soon well possibly but Tipuric was poor last week to.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:11 pm

We aren't really talking about Schmidt either I think. Hansen has only started. Dave Rennie has taken an also rans Chiefs to consecutive super titles with only a few ABs in the team. He's done his time with the juniors and the Maoris too (I think) so he would be far ahead of those two.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Rennie/ Kirwan team up one day.

Last edited by nganboy on Sun 09 Feb 2014, 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : got coach's name wrong)
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by wolfball Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:14 pm

The last two games have been a revelation in the Irish ability to boss the breakdown. Plumtree has given a structure to the "manic aggression" that is a wonder to see. Everyone 1-15 is clued into when to compete, when to counter-ruck etc. Its a wonder to behold and the reason we won today.

Schmidt has given the overall team structure, Plumtree reinvented our forwards play - Now I want to see Schmidt's slick backline moves... Maybe in London.

wolfball

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:14 pm

quinsforever wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:

Yes i thought he had a bad game today as well. Do not understand why coaches want to bring players back in to the squad so early from being injured. It is not good for the player and it is not good for the team either.

England use to do the same with Jonny Wilkinson. He would get injured be out of the game for a month or so, then he would get the all clear sign, and Bang he was straight back in the side only to (A) have a bad game. (B) get injured again.

Player/s need time to recover properly before being brought back into the international team/squad.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by tatterd Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:15 pm

Don't think a single poster has mentioned our complete balls-up of a lineout? AGAIN? I for one am really fed up of it misfiring when it counts. Every time (which was probably only twice in reality) we got decent field position the lineout was lost. Also, WHY, oh WHY do we NEVER BLOODY COMPETE on the other teams lineout? At least throw someone up in the air? And our inability do defend a rolling maul was laughable today. We were shown up for what we are - a tier 3 rugby nation. For a long time the welsh team has managed to be greater than the sum of its parts - but we found our true level today

tatterd

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:17 pm

guinness thumbsup

See you guys at HQ.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:17 pm

Like I said if Tipuric had had a better game last week and if Warburton had not been captain maybe he wouldn't have been.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:17 pm

anyone heard from Saint today?

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:21 pm

quinsforever wrote:anyone heard from Saint today?

It is strange how quite he is now Wales have lost. And Wales with all those British Lions in it as well. Whistle 

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:21 pm

tatterd wrote:Don't think a single poster has mentioned our complete balls-up of a lineout? AGAIN? I for one am really fed up of it misfiring when it counts. Every time (which was probably only twice in reality) we got decent field position the lineout was lost. Also, WHY, oh WHY do we NEVER BLOODY COMPETE on the other teams lineout? At least throw someone up in the air? And our inability do defend a rolling maul was laughable today. We were shown up for what we are - a tier 3 rugby nation. For a long time the welsh team has managed to be greater than the sum of its parts - but we found our true level today

Maybe its a case of fed up of complaining about the usual and the norm  steam 
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Gretgael1 Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:25 pm

He's probably at home watching reruns of Halfpenny's penalty with the volume at 100 so he can point out that the Irish crowd booed. That would be a result for him.

Last edited by Gretgael1 on Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Gretgael1

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:28 pm

tatterd wrote:Don't think a single poster has mentioned our complete balls-up of a lineout? AGAIN? I for one am really fed up of it misfiring when it counts. Every time (which was probably only twice in reality) we got decent field position the lineout was lost. Also, WHY, oh WHY do we NEVER BLOODY COMPETE on the other teams lineout? At least throw someone up in the air? And our inability do defend a rolling maul was laughable today. We were shown up for what we are - a tier 3 rugby nation. For a long time the welsh team has managed to be greater than the sum of its parts - but we found our true level today

Yes vrey true, it was a mess last week, in fact we didn't step up at all from last week; went back a few miles instead. Really disappointed with Aly Wyn today, we need him at his best because when he is our pack is. He was quite and outclassed by O'Connell in the line out. I don;t blame Hibbard either, i blame the calls as O'Connell knew where they were going.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:29 pm

It is strange how quite he is now Wales have lost. And Wales with all those British Lions in it as well. Whistle 
i know. from all the prattle you would have thought it would be a walkover.

what the rugby illiterate forgot was that it was Sexton who guided the Lions to victory, his tactical kicking that made the real difference, in spite of the limitations of gatball. and when you take him out of the mix, and put him on the opposite side, it's amazing how the result can change correspondingly.

wales have no future in world rugby until they get a 9/10 combination that at least threatens to unleash their backs.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:29 pm

Your point on the lineout is kind of....counter intuitive. If you compete in the air it is much more difficult to defend the rolling maul. So often you need to make a decision whether or not you want to try and steal or disrupt their throw or let them win their own ball, provided they don't mess up the dart, and then put everything into stopping the oncoming maul or strike move.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:30 pm

Laugh 
Gretgael1 wrote:

He's probably at home watching reruns of Halfpenny's penalty with the volume at 100 so he can point out that the Irish crowd booed. That would be a result for him.
 Laugh Laugh Laugh 

presume he edited out the horror passes from 1/2P when he didnt punt return the counterattac? Smile

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:35 pm

Who was named MOTM today was it Sexton if not why not thought he was outstanding today.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:36 pm

O'Mahony I think

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:39 pm

Some good reading guys.

It's nice to see how some of the Irish lads here morphed from being terrified and overly-critical of almost every Irish player and Irish decision at the beginning, only to slowly come around to thinking they always knew what Schmidt would plan for Wales, that the kicking was a design that worked this time, and that they were never worried and always knew that was the best Irish team for the job at hand Wink

Fosters Beer!  Good Call Lads! Wink

Forgiven though - as I say, it was a development from the beginning of a game to the end - everyone can change their mind over 80mins but the lack of faith in the beginning was a little pointed considering how the Scotland game was put down as a fine fine performance.  BELIEVE Wink

Anyway, the Welsh players are very good players...and will still be a dangerous bunch after this game.  They might need some new plans now though because other sides will see how Ireland neutralised their plan A and will mimic it to a degree.  That's professional rugby...one team unlocks a method, other teams follow and all of a sudden a potent blueprint becomes yesterday's gameplan.

But I get the overall impression is that this win is put down to Schmidt's strategy allowing the Irish players to Neutralise the Welsh superstars.  

Yes - to a degree - that's exactly what it is.  But it's not the full story.  What Schmidt gives is a gameplan that suits Irish players - like Irish fans have always been saying.  Give our players something firm to work with in coaching terms and our players will show you how good they are - not how good they neutralise other players, how good they can be themselves, in their own right, on their own terms.

England up next and certainly no guarantees of a win there because England are a strong, energetic, perpetual motion team.  Impressed by their ability to sustain pace.  The thing that is promising for Ireland is that Schmidt is a smart coach - and I don't think he thinks he has shown how he plans to unlock other sides.  This was the plan for Wales, and it worked a treat.  It mightn't be the one for England.  Schmidt is only getting to know a lot of players.  It took him a little time to get his Leinster boys doing what he wanted when he came to the Province...so it's understandable that many players are still only learning his desires and what he wants from them.  When he's settled in, he'll be able to offer versions of Ireland I hope.  We'd hope to be more than a Plan A team....at least that's the Plan Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:40 pm

i agree i thought Sexton's kicking was THE deciding factor in the match, but i can understand that the less tactically astute would give it to POM who was indeed awesome in contact.

cant always be given to the 10 i suppose.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:41 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Who was named MOTM today was it Sexton if not why not thought he was outstanding today.

It was between Sexton and O'Mahony. Either one would have done. Sexton knows how good a game he had. He's satisfied. But O'Mahony will be delighted his contribution was recognised. And it was.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:43 pm

SecretFly wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:Who was named MOTM today was it Sexton if not why not thought he was outstanding today.

It was between Sexton and O'Mahony.  Either one would have done.  Sexton knows how good a game he had.  He's satisfied.  But O'Mahony will be delighted his contribution was recognised.  And it was.

O'Mahony deserved it, but one of the coaches should have a word in his ear about the exchange with Barnes towards the end. Regardless of what led to that situation (touch judge given Wales what should have been an Irish lineout and O'Mahony then bring the Welsh jumper down) O'Mahony cannot do that. He must reign it in a bit more, more use of his head, less of his mouth.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:44 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:

Your point on the lineout is kind of....counter intuitive.  If you compete in the air it is much more difficult to defend the rolling maul.  So often you need to make a decision whether or not you want to try and steal or disrupt their throw or let them win their own ball, provided they don't mess up the dart, and then put everything into stopping the oncoming maul or strike move.

I get your point dodger, but with no challenge Ireland knew 100% that they would win it and knew where it was going (in terms of front, middle or back) and so could set up accordingly. Even though we didn't challenge we still didn't know where in the lineout the ball was going so it wouldn't have helped us to anticipate the start of the rolling maul. IMO disrupting and trying to steal ball would do more to hinder the formation of the rolling maul than just waiting for it to happen.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:45 pm

Not always that the 10 deserves it but today I thought he did, he punished us with every kick he had.

In the contact I thought all the Irish were pretty spot on and they didnt even miss SOB which is big compliment.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by international197 Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:47 pm

Do people think that Wayne Barnes should have awarded Wales, instead of Ireland, a penalty, about 15 minutes and 20 seconds into the match, when Paul O'Connell took the ball into contact? IMO, Sam Warbuton was first there, was over the ball, was supporting his own weight on his feet and Paul O'Connell wasn't releasing.

international197

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:47 pm

Griff wrote:
Artful_Dodger wrote:

Your point on the lineout is kind of....counter intuitive.  If you compete in the air it is much more difficult to defend the rolling maul.  So often you need to make a decision whether or not you want to try and steal or disrupt their throw or let them win their own ball, provided they don't mess up the dart, and then put everything into stopping the oncoming maul or strike move.

I get your point dodger, but with no challenge Ireland knew 100% that they would win it and knew where it was going (in terms of front, middle or back) and so could set up accordingly. Even though we didn't challenge we still didn't know where in the lineout the ball was going so it wouldn't have helped us to anticipate the start of the rolling maul. IMO disrupting and trying to steal ball would do more to hinder the formation of the rolling maul than just waiting for it to happen.

Yeh you're right, it was probably a bit too easy for Ireland at those lineout mauls. I suppose it is very difficult to do anything against a lineout that includes O'Connell making the calls with 6'11 Devin Toner and Best throwing well.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:48 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

It was between Sexton and O'Mahony.  Either one would have done.  Sexton knows how good a game he had.  He's satisfied.  But O'Mahony will be delighted his contribution was recognised.  And it was.

O'Mahony deserved it, but one of the coaches should have a word in his ear about the exchange with Barnes towards the end.  Regardless of what led to that situation (touch judge given Wales what should have been an Irish lineout and O'Mahony then bring the Welsh jumper down) O'Mahony cannot do that.  He must reign it in a bit more, more use of his head, less of his mouth.  

Absolutely agree. And undoubtedly he'll have already got a tongue lashing from Schmidt. His persistence almost took him off the field. Reckless emotion... but that's also his strength - his emotion.
What annoyed me about the encounter was that throughout the however many seconds he was arguing with Barnes, his captain didn't walk forward and take him away. Who was captain when O'Connell came off? Heaslip? He should have pulled O'Mahony away. I think he'll have gotten a few pointed words in his ear too from Schmidt. Control the agression, control his players.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:48 pm

Well played Ireland.We are going to have to score loads of points against Scotland to be in with a shout in this 6N's.We were woeful today and Ireland creamed us.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:49 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

O'Mahony deserved it, but one of the coaches should have a word in his ear about the exchange with Barnes towards the end.  Regardless of what led to that situation (touch judge given Wales what should have been an Irish lineout and O'Mahony then bring the Welsh jumper down) O'Mahony cannot do that.  He must reign it in a bit more, more use of his head, less of his mouth.  

I think I also heard POM call Mike Phillips a 'feckin' eejit' right into the ref mic. He was spot on in his description though, but some refs don't like the expletives, no matter how they're disguised, so he needs to be careful he doesn't get pinged in future! Great game from him though. Probably my man of the match.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:52 pm

Griff,

Lets be honest he is though, harsh but fair lol
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 08 Feb 2014, 9:54 pm

Yep, that's why I said 'spot on'!

Is it wrong to wish one of your own players gets sparked out by the opposition  Sorry 

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Sat 08 Feb 2014, 10:03 pm

international197 wrote:Do people think that Wayne Barnes should have awarded Wales, instead of Ireland, a penalty, about 15 minutes and 20 seconds into the match, when Paul O'Connell took the ball into contact? IMO, Sam Warbuton was first there, was over the ball, was supporting his own weight on his feet and Paul O'Connell wasn't releasing.

I missed that one, but the refereeing team made mistakes either way. There wasone long run that favoured Wales. For instance, Wales' points came from a lineout that should have been Ireland's, and there was no sanction against Halfpenny for holding back POM and preventing him chasing his chargedown over the tryline (I am astonished that Barnes missed that).
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 08 Feb 2014, 10:14 pm

international197 wrote:Do people think that Wayne Barnes should have awarded Wales, instead of Ireland, a penalty, about 15 minutes and 20 seconds into the match, when Paul O'Connell took the ball into contact? IMO, Sam Warbuton was first there, was over the ball, was supporting his own weight on his feet and Paul O'Connell wasn't releasing.

I think that was the one where Hibbard was also in there but was lying all over the ball and was thus penalised for not rolling away???

Back to top Go down

Post by international197 Sat 08 Feb 2014, 10:19 pm

Griff wrote:

I think that was the one where Hibbard was also in there but was lying all over the ball and was thus penalised for not rolling away???

Yes.

international197

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 08 Feb 2014, 10:43 pm

international197 wrote:
Griff wrote:

Yes.

So no then. It was a correct decision. Hibbard penalised for not rolling away.

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal Tiger Sat 08 Feb 2014, 11:37 pm

Hood83 wrote:I really like the Welsh players, but great to see Gatlandball completely out thought. Well done Ireland.

Ahhhh Gatland ball...

Gym monkey route 1,
Gym monkey route 1,
Gym monkey route 1,
Turn over Ireland,
Repeat for 80 minutes.
Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 08 Feb 2014, 11:44 pm

Metal Tiger wrote:
Hood83 wrote:I really like the Welsh players, but great to see Gatlandball completely out thought. Well done Ireland.

Ahhhh Gatland ball...

Gym monkey route 1,
Gym monkey route 1,
Gym monkey route 1,
Turn over Ireland,
Repeat for 80 minutes.

Wink I do think Gatland has clearly brought a lot to the Welsh team, and I think he's probably more astute than I sometimes give him credit for...but he really DOESN'T have a plan B, does he?

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 09 Feb 2014, 12:02 am

In truth, the Irish players didn't give him a Plan B option.  As some pundit said during the day, he was planning to hit the Irish hard with his hard hitters (and one of them did hit hard on O'D but, as usual, O'D was the one that lasted longer on the field after the encounter Wink)...and if that didn't work, Plan B was that at least his players would be fitter, last longer and therefore negate any Irish Plan A towards the end of the game.

But as Warburton himself said: (paraphrase only) "The Irish played the same way as they played the first half against us last year - but this time they played it for 80 minutes."

Gatland never had a Plan B option when Irish players lasted 80 minutes in fitness, concentration and physicality

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal Tiger Sun 09 Feb 2014, 12:04 am

Hood83 wrote:
Metal Tiger wrote:

Ahhhh Gatland ball...

Gym monkey route 1,
Gym monkey route 1,
Gym monkey route 1,
Turn over Ireland,
Repeat for 80 minutes.

Wink I do think Gatland has clearly brought a lot to the Welsh team, and I think he's probably more astute than I sometimes give him credit for...but he really DOESN'T have a plan B, does he?

Plan A wasn't working in the 1st half so I guess the only solution in the 2nd half was more plan A.
Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sun 09 Feb 2014, 12:19 am

Job done. Great win against Wales who never got going. Sextons kicking game was excellent. However our back play was bereft of ideas or anything creative.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun 09 Feb 2014, 12:25 am

Gretgael1 wrote:

Laugh Laugh Laugh

So true.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal Tiger Sun 09 Feb 2014, 2:35 am

SecretFly wrote:In truth, the Irish players didn't give him a Plan B option.  As some pundit said during the day, he was planning to hit the Irish hard with his hard hitters (and one of them did hit hard on O'D but, as usual, O'D was the one that lasted longer on the field after the encounter Wink)...and if that didn't work, Plan B was that at least his players would be fitter, last longer and therefore negate any Irish Plan A towards the end of the game.

But as Warburton himself said: (paraphrase only) "The Irish played the same way as they played the first half against us last year - but this time they played it for 80 minutes."

Gatland never had a Plan B option when Irish players lasted 80 minutes in fitness, concentration and physicality

What's the liklihood of a citing for the hit on BOD? Clear shoulder charge & dangerous play.
Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sun 09 Feb 2014, 8:01 am

quinsforever wrote:i agree i thought Sexton's kicking was THE deciding factor in the match, but i can understand that the less tactically astute would give it to POM who was indeed awesome in contact.

cant always be given to the 10 i suppose.

The reason POM got the nod over Sexton is because he was class the whole match. The first 20mins, Sexton was having a bit of a mare to be honest. After that 20mins he was on the money though. POM put in a full shift of quality and backed up by his display last week I have him as the player of the tournament so far.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next