The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steve Walsh handed 6N finale again

+28
Jimpy
maestegmafia
R!skysports
nobbled
goneagain
blackcanelion
The Saint
Breadvan
nottins_again
SecretFly
fa0019
bedfordwelsh
international197
kiakahaaotearoa
englandglory4ever
nathan
No 7&1/2
aucklandlaurie
WELL-PAST-IT
Cyril
rainbow-warrior
ChequeredJersey
doctor_grey
Scratch
HammerofThunor
lostinwales
Poorfour
GloriousEmpire
32 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Steve Walsh handed 6N finale again - Page 5 Empty Steve Walsh handed 6N finale again

Post by GloriousEmpire Sat 15 Feb - 17:02

First topic message reminder :

On form, the six nations will be a call between unbeaten France and Ireland. The "grand final" will be the last match played and similarly to last years climax between England and Wales, Steve Walsh has been handed the honours.

Surely this is yet a further underlining of the man's status as possibly the finest referee in the world and a continuation of the upward trend in his professional career after his well documented personal issues.

Congratulations Mr Walsh! A truly inspiring tale of personal strength and success - a role model for many no doubt!

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Steve Walsh handed 6N finale again - Page 5 Empty Re: Steve Walsh handed 6N finale again

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 21 Feb - 9:11

Unfortunately when you have one wum doing it constantly others will fight back with the same sort of stuff.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Steve Walsh handed 6N finale again - Page 5 Empty Re: Steve Walsh handed 6N finale again

Post by Biltong Fri 21 Feb - 9:30

rainbow-warrior wrote:
Biltong wrote:
rainbow-warrior wrote:
ebop wrote:You escaped from kindergarten again rainbow?

WHat the kindergarten called New Zealand.  Nah still here surrounded by simpletons.

Come on mate, can we cease the "your country is worse than mine" please.

It is becoming tedious

But you tend to ignore GE with his disgusting comments, outstanding.

Oh and bepopper or what ever her name is.

sadly you are incorrect, I consistently reprimand GE.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 21 Feb - 9:32

What's your view on Walsh then Biltong. Has he ever wound up the SAs? I do think he tends to get annoyed with players and let that get in the way of his decisions sometimes but pretty decent for the majority of games.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 21 Feb - 9:40

I like Walsh as a referee, purely for his ability, I don't like him as a person though, I think he has an attitude, but as a referee I have no issues with him
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by goneagain Fri 21 Feb - 9:52

GloriousEmpire wrote:
rainbow-warrior wrote:

WHat the kindergarten called New Zealand.  Nah still here surrounded by simpletons.

Wow, that's a mighty flighty statement. I wonder if the mods will spot it.

Who else do you expect him to be surrounded by? Right in his comfort zone.

goneagain

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Fri 21 Feb - 10:12

Biltong wrote:I like Walsh as a referee, purely for his ability, I don't like him as a person though, I think he has an attitude, but as a referee I have no issues with him

I agree he needs special player managent. He likes to be the authoritarian mate. That old contradiction. I guess super rugby players more used to his foibles find it is easier to get on his good side.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 21 Feb - 10:15

If only he could have got on the good side of NZ rugby chiefs eh? Why do you think they couldn't get the best out of him while Aus can?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 21 Feb - 10:19

He turned up drunk to a seminar/workshop or some such thing. That is a sackable offense.

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 21 Feb - 10:22

Five pages on a ref whose game hasn't arrived yet. Another highly exciting year of rugby played in the 6N so far, I see  Whistle 

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by jelly Fri 21 Feb - 10:25

Biltong wrote:I like Walsh as a referee, purely for his ability, I don't like him as a person though, I think he has an attitude, but as a referee I have no issues with him

I find that too often his attitude seems to have a negative influence his refereeing. He often seems to have attitude against one of the teams, meaning they get on the wrong end of plenty of decisions, they get more infuriated which increases Walsh's attitude against them and they can't turn it round from that point on.

jelly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 21 Feb - 10:31

jelly wrote:

I find that too often his attitude seems to have a negative influence his refereeing. He often seems to have attitude against one of the teams, meaning they get on the wrong end of plenty of decisions, they get more infuriated which increases Walsh's attitude against them and they can't turn it round from that point on.

Teams and coaches have the right and ability to look into areas of a game where they see massive inconsistencies in a reffing performance (the kind of performance you allude to in the case of Walsh potentially taking a dislike to a certain team)
Teams wouldn't just sit back and take that - they'd formally complain, they'd have their video analysis and if the powers had seen enough to suggest a ref was getting heavily "personally involved" (old favourite movie line) in the game, then they'd be forced to clip the ref's wings.

Teams aren't powerless in suggesting a Ref has showed bias.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by jelly Fri 21 Feb - 10:41

True - but it just looks like sour grapes if you've just been well beaten on the scoreboard.

jelly

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Fri 21 Feb - 10:56

The RFU complained about him last year. That did look like sour grapes after they were utterly out classed by Wales.

Walsh is back this year, running the line for England v Wales and calling the finale.

Looks like the IRB back him fully.

The responsibility for not getting on a refs bad side lies with players just as much as the referees.

If a team is shouting and heckling and complaining for 80 minutes of course that will create a bad impression and influence his thinking.

Teams need to look at themselves first.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 21 Feb - 10:58

I assume you'll never mention Barnes again then GE?

Excellent stuff.

That should make for a better forum.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 21 Feb - 10:59

Fair point

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 21 Feb - 11:02

Actually, I think it was proven Walsh is perfect and Barnes made a thousand mistakes, think that's the story.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 21 Feb - 11:03

ebop wrote:Actually, I think it was proven Walsh is perfect and Barnes made a thousand mistakes, think that's the story.
Ah, of course. How could I be so blind Cool 

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Fri 21 Feb - 11:05

If want a thread in Barnes Cyril, then create one. Please don't try your usual tactics of derailing every thread please.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by jelly Fri 21 Feb - 11:08

GloriousEmpire wrote:If want a thread in Barnes Cyril, then create one. Please don't try your usual tactics of derailing every thread please.

Que? You been on the pop again GE?

jelly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 21 Feb - 11:09

GloriousEmpire wrote:If want a thread in Barnes Cyril, then create one. Please don't try your usual tactics of derailing every thread please.
Oooh get you  Steve Walsh handed 6N finale again - Page 5 3559488474 

It's a thread about a referee. It's hardly off-topic to mention another referee and the accompanying double-standards.

PS I don't need to post a thread on Barnes. I could just dig up one of the dozen you've created Very Happy 

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 21 Feb - 11:11

It's a fair call though Cyril, if you guys think you've been shafted by a ref, then that's your right. Maybe you were but maybe that's just sport.

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 21 Feb - 11:15

ebop wrote:He turned up drunk to a seminar/workshop or some such thing. That is a sackable offense.

But as GE pointed out, why couldn't NZ help and support him like Aus?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 21 Feb - 11:18

Dunno the details 7.5. I think they gave him a few chances. He lost it all, that's when he turned his life around, and good on him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 21 Feb - 11:20

ebop wrote:It's a fair call though Cyril, if you guys think you've been shafted by a ref, then that's your right. Maybe you were but maybe that's just sport.
I agree, it's the ups and downs of sports.

We all have views on refs but, more than most sports, rugby is all about adapting and playing to the ref.

I may not have been a big fan of Walsh in last year's Wales/England game but I thought he did pretty well in our 2011 quarterfinal with France (another game England lost).

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 21 Feb - 11:28

It doesn't reflect well on the NZ system though. Such a talented ref could have been left to rot if not for the Aussies.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Fri 21 Feb - 12:43

Let it go 7.5 I'm not biting.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 21 Feb - 12:58

What are you on about GE? NZ failed Walsh but I'm just interested in why.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Fri 21 Feb - 15:47

Yawn.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Fri 21 Feb - 17:00

Walsh has got himself suspended at least twice and removed as a potential ref from certain games due to perceived bias.
Not a great record.
He's not always bad. He's often good - but when he is bad he's ferkin terrible.
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 21 Feb - 17:07

GloriousEmpire wrote:Yawn.

At least you have an idea what we all feel like with 80% of your posts.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 21 Feb - 17:26

5 pages of posts about a referee confirms Walsh is a divisive figure. Can't recall seeing 5 pages about a referee before. The fact that some people defend him or at least don't see anything egregious in his decisions shows he clearly can be a good referee. However as a divisive referee, should he referee where his credibility is sometomes called into serous question?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Fri 21 Feb - 17:28

You can't damn a man on suspicion. Until I see some solid evidence I'm forced to believe any opinion against him is mere reactive chagrin to a loss or two by disappointed fans reluctant to look inward for their failures.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Fri 21 Feb - 17:33

GloriousEmpire wrote:You can't damn a man on suspicion. Until I see some solid evidence I'm forced to believe any opinion against him is mere reactive chagrin to a loss or two by disappointed fans reluctant to look inward for their failures.

We played so poorly and Wales so well England wouldn't have won with me reffing.

Please do not assume I don't like him because we lost.
I don't like him because I think he is a self centred twot with anger management issues.
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 21 Feb - 17:51

GloriousEmpire wrote:You can't damn a man on suspicion. Until I see some solid evidence I'm forced to believe any opinion against him is mere reactive chagrin to a loss or two by disappointed fans reluctant to look inward for their failures.

And yet NZ rugby damned him. The shame it brings on all New Zealanders. A disappointing failure in NZs proud history.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Fri 21 Feb - 17:53

Broken Record 

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 21 Feb - 17:56

Weren't you the one who threw a hissy fit when someone responded to you in smileys and threatened to glass them? I think it's disappointing that you correctly identified major failings in the NZ system but are happy to go along with them. Disappointing that for some reason the NZ officials are trying bring down a ref as good as Walsh. Shameful really.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Fri 21 Feb - 17:58

I never threatened to glass anyone.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 21 Feb - 18:06

ghost 

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Fri 21 Feb - 19:24

No 7&1/2 wrote:Weren't you the one who threw a hissy fit when someone responded to you in smileys and threatened to glass them? I think it's disappointing that you correctly identified major failings in the NZ system but are happy to go along with them. Disappointing that for some reason the NZ officials are trying bring down a ref as good as Walsh. Shameful really.

I think people got the wrong end of the stick with that whole glassing thing, I think I remember reading it as in he might be glassed, so it was sort of the opposite of what everyone read into it.

Walsh is a plonker, plenty of reasons to dislike him. But I do feel like he's improved hugely...since become a plastic Aussie.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 21 Feb - 19:47

No 7&1/2 wrote:

And yet NZ rugby damned him. The shame it brings on all New Zealanders. A disappointing failure in NZs proud history.

I dont feel any shame, we all know that when Walsh and Melodie split up, she was heavily involved in Rugby broadcasting , plus the number of alcohol fueled incidents, meant it was the ideal time for him to move over to Sydney, and time has proven that it was the best decision for all involved. She is now an excellant Rugby commentator and he has regained his position in World rugby Referees. in short everyone was a winner.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 21 Feb - 19:57

doctor_grey wrote:5 pages of posts about a referee confirms Walsh is a divisive figure.  Can't recall seeing 5 pages about a referee before.  The fact that some people defend him or at least don't see anything egregious in his decisions shows he clearly can be a good referee.  However as a divisive referee, should he referee where his credibility is sometomes called into serous question?

Then again Doc would you not admit that people preferring to have Roman Poite in the middle and Steve walsh on the Side line is absolutely insane?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Fri 21 Feb - 19:58

aucklandlaurie wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:

I dont feel any shame, we all know that when Walsh and Melodie split up, she was heavily involved in Rugby broadcasting , plus the number of alcohol fueled incidents, meant it was the ideal time for him to move over to Sydney, and time has proven that it was the best decision for all involved. She is now an excellant Rugby commentator and he has regained his position in World rugby Referees. in short everyone was a winner.

Exactly, he was a plonker, but obviously had issues. I think the decent thing is to congratulate someone who dealt with his personal issues and became a better professional. OK, he had an odd relationship with England, but it's a good news story as far as I can see. Good on him, it's nice to see people come out of the other side.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Fri 21 Feb - 20:05

goneagain wrote:
GloriousEmpire wrote:
rainbow-warrior wrote:

Wow, that's a mighty flighty statement. I wonder if the mods will spot it.

Who else do you expect him to be surrounded by? Right in his comfort zone.

At least you agree hgahahahah
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Fri 21 Feb - 21:32

Anyone want to switch the debate to Alain Rolland?

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Fri 21 Feb - 21:53

Ruck was a total free for all again.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Fri 21 Feb - 21:58

It will be an interesting read of the French papers over the next few days. My guess is the British press will say Rolland finished in style with a great performance. The French on the other hand....

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 21 Feb - 22:05

Would everybody just put people you dislike on ignore, because I would venture you will all be happier for it.

GE, your threads tend to bring out the mobs with pitchforks. You need to tone it down a bit with your tiresome needling. You're always good for some rugby chat and then you throw in a few sly digs. It causes us work when people bite and we're running out of patience

englandglory4ever, we don't take into account who you are replying too when handing out bans. Remember that. You ALWAYS have the option of just not reading someone you disagree with or dislike so we're not going to be lenient if you cross the line. 'Foe' button is a much better option
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 21 Feb - 23:47

But then again Notch,dont you appreciate how a thread like this is a revelation in that it brings out brings out the diverse criteria that different people use to arrive at their opinions of a referee, some people dont even take into consideration the quality of the rugby product, to them a referee's hair is a far more discerning quality.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Fri 21 Feb - 23:58

aucklandlaurie wrote:
But then again Notch,dont you appreciate how a thread like this is a revelation in that it brings out brings out the diverse criteria that different people use to arrive at their opinions of a referee, some people dont even take into consideration the quality of the rugby product, to them a referee's hair is a far more discerning quality.

The majority here have told you that in their opinion Walsh is poor. Walsh is the only one worried about his hair. He is egocentric and plays for the camera. Sine the retirement of O'Brien NZ have had no world class refs.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Sat 22 Feb - 0:01

Most posters actually said he was good rainbow, they said they disliked him personally. Which is odd, given that few if none actually know him.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next