The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Macklin Vs Sturm

+3
Valero's Conscience
captain carrantuohil
shenglong1983
7 posters

Go down

Macklin Vs Sturm Empty Macklin Vs Sturm

Post by shenglong1983 Fri 20 May 2011, 8:50 am

Matthew Macklin raised eyebrows amongst the German media yesterday when he came face to face with Felix Sturm at their press conference in Cologne ahead of their World title fight in the city on June 25th. Two time European Middleweight Champ Macklin made a big impression by addressing the assembled media in perfect German but he has promised that the charm offensive will be replaced with a far more aggressive offensive once he enters the ring at the 20,000 seater Lanxess Arena next month.

Having studied German in school for six years Macklin was happy to deliver a warning to Sturm in German to ensure that nothing was lost in translation. "I'm going to win, there is no doubt in my mind about that,” said Macklin. "Felix is a great technician, he has been a great Champion and he has my utmost respect but this is my time and my strength and power will be decisive in winning the fight."

The champion however says he will meet fire with fire and he has no intention of surrendering his WBA World title after almost a decade at the top of the middleweight division. "Matthew seems very confident but we will see what happens in the ring,"; mused Sturm. "I will bombard him from the first bell and we will see if he can cope with that."

Despite his confidence the champion was willing to admit that Macklin presents a formidable challenge. "Macklin is an outstanding challenger. He is very experienced and he has that Irish warrior mentality. He has earned this chance and is one of the five best middleweights in the world. It will be a war but I will be ready for anything and I will do whatever it takes to keep my title.

"I have been training very hard but I am enjoying it. I am just over 6 pounds over the middleweight limit now so I am already in great shape. Once the fight is over I can forget about the diet and I am looking forward to a celebratory barbecue on the Sunday afternoon to celebrate with my friends and family."

Sturm's trainer Fritz Sdunek added, "We have a plan for anything can Macklin can present in the ring. We have watched him fight and he likes to put a lot of pressure on his opponents to try to tire them out. Felix has no problems coping with that kind of style and putting on a lot of pressure himself so I believe he will stop Macklin in the final third of the fight."

The German media were intrigued by Macklin's background in hurling which saw him represent Tipperary at underage level despite having grown up in Birmingham while the 29 year old also revealed that boxing legend, "Smokin" Joe Frazier had dropped in to trainer Joe Gallagher's gym in Manchester to watch him training earlier this week.

"It was an honour to have someone like Joe Frazier casting an eye over my training," said Macklin. "He gave me a few pointers and there was a great buzz in the gym while he was there. There's just over 5 weeks left now and my preparations could not be going any better. I was already very excited about the fight and coming face to face with Felix has only made me more confident that I will be taking that belt home with me next month."

Macklin's manager Brian Peters revealed that arrangements have been put in place for the army of Macklin supporters expected to descend on Cologne for the fight. "There is a ticket and hotel package available for any fans travelling over to the fight," said Peters. "There has already been huge interest from people looking to go and Cologne is great city and the arena itself is fantastic so it promises to be a tremendous night. Matthew is so grateful for all the support and it means an awful lot to him and I'm sure everyone can play their part in cheering Matthew on to the World title and another famous night for Irish sport."

How do you see Mackiln (If it isnt cancelled) faring against Sturm boys?

shenglong1983

Back to top Go down

Macklin Vs Sturm Empty Re: Macklin Vs Sturm

Post by captain carrantuohil Fri 20 May 2011, 9:08 am

Sturm's a good boxer, probably an underrated one, although that's partly his own fault for rarely leaving Germany and defending against nonentities. He's not much of a hitter, though, which is why Macklin needn't seriously worry about not making the distance. However, I've seen little evidence that Macklin has the technique to outwit a class boxer over the full twelve-round distance; he can punch OK, but he's not Julian Jackson, and I'm not sure at the age of 29 that he's got any new tricks with which to surprise Sturm.

It won't be a bad fight, but I have to say that a reasonably comfortable decision for the champ looks the percentage call. It's the way that most of his defences seem to finish and I don't see any reason for a change this time.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri 20 May 2011, 9:34 am

Never seen a single fight of either to be honest!

From what i've heard Sturm is like many German fighters i.e. home based and quite protected, however didn't the one time he went stateside for a big fight against De La Hoya get robbed?

Looking at his record, apart from De La Hoya, Sturm really has fought NO ONE of note, which probably means why I haven't bothered to watch anything of him.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Fri 20 May 2011, 10:36 am

Strum is very good technically - I think de la hoya got a gift in their fight. I think he may just be a bit too polished for Macklin, but it won't be easy for him - and Macklin will push it all the way.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 20 May 2011, 10:58 am

Sheng you do know Macklin is a Brummie?

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong1983 Fri 20 May 2011, 11:01 am

SOF:

Yeah he doesnt live too far from my brother.

big Irish background and was Middleweight Irish champ.

Played for Tipperary at teh old hurling.

I like Mack The Knife.

Good attitude and always has that Irish smile on his face.

Someone we can both support, and get behind.

shenglong1983

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Fri 20 May 2011, 11:25 am

I like Macklin, but feel Strum (like in all his fights) will be favourite, Strum is a much better technician. And the power that abraham and Pavlik has at middleweight that had Strum hiding out in germany, isn't in mackiln's locker.

Although Macklin has a chance, he's no powder puff and, has a great workrate, I'm hoping for an upset and looking forward to the fight.

Finding it hard to believe that the Germans had an interest in Hurling though, didn't think minor hurling would make it to the back pages over there.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong1983 Fri 20 May 2011, 11:32 am

You'd be surprised how hurling is watched around the world.

Minor and Senior.

Great sport.

shenglong1983

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Fri 20 May 2011, 11:36 am

Sturm hasn't fought anyone of note since De La Hoya and that was flippin ages ago.

I think Macklin has a chance. He says he raises his game with the quality of his opposition. He needs to raise his game to a whole new level this time.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down