The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England vs Ireland, Part 2

+79
lostinwales
Submachine
No 7&1/2
TopHat24/7
Breadvan
gregortree
Pete330v2
quinsforever
MissBlennerhassett
Thomond
rosbif
englandglory4ever
The Saint
Hood83
Sin é
Seagultaf
SecretFly
Cumbrian
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
fa0019
Exiledinborders
KiaRose
Mad for Chelsea
sportform
Mr Bounce
Hookisms and Hyperbole
Barney McGrew did it
Knowsit17
rodders
TJ
GloriousEmpire
Cyril
ME-109
Chjw131
theslosty
BlueMuff
yappysnap
doctor_grey
Engine#4
JmD
ChequeredJersey
disneychilly
maestegmafia
Artful_Dodger
king_carlos
kiakahaaotearoa
aucklandlaurie
BigTrevsbigmac
WELL-PAST-IT
Metal Tiger
mystiroakey
Heaf
toml
HammerofThunor
asoreleftshoulder
MrsP
Duty281
Rory_Gallagher
nobbled
majesticimperialman
Notch
GunsGerms
LeinsterFan4life
The Bachelor
Nachos Jones
profitius
Cowshot
westisbest
Rugby Fan
Sgt_Pooly
Portnoy's Complaint
stub
nathan
nottins_again
Scrumpy
glamorganalun
kingelderfield
clivemcl
Geordie
83 posters

Page 16 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16

Go down

England vs Ireland, Part 2 - Page 16 Empty England vs Ireland, Part 2

Post by Geordie Sat 22 Feb 2014, 5:45 pm

First topic message reminder :

You beauties...

What a crackin game....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

England vs Ireland, Part 2 - Page 16 Empty Re: England vs Ireland, Part 2

Post by mystiroakey Wed 26 Feb 2014, 10:37 am

The thing is though if that kick had got Ireland the try and they won. Everyone would be praising sexton.,.

as it was though the play of the game was probally browns goal keeping save.. And that was the difference for me.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 26 Feb 2014, 10:39 am

mystiroakey wrote:The thing is though if that kick had got Ireland the try and they won. Everyone would be praising sexton.,.

as it was though the play of the game was probally browns goal keeping save.. And that was the difference for me.

It was good but his kicking in the second half has not good enough. He got the distance wrong on too many garryowens and his restart was unacceptable in the position we were in in the game. He is a key player so you would expect more from him.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 26 Feb 2014, 10:42 am

GunsGerms wrote:I think he derseves a bit of a knocking. Great player but just seems to lose the plot a little sometimes.

Don't we all............... I wasn't in the greatest mood myself 3 seconds after the final whistle! I usually have to be stapped down and gagged for about half an hour Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 26 Feb 2014, 10:42 am

SecretFly wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:I think he derseves a bit of a knocking. Great player but just seems to lose the plot a little sometimes.

Don't we all...............  I wasn't in the greatest mood myself 3 seconds after the final whistle!  I usually have to be stapped down and gagged for about half an hour Wink

Whats your safe word?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 26 Feb 2014, 10:45 am

Since I'm gagged I usually have to write it.

It's..............................

Nope, can't tell it. I don't want any English lads manipulating me when I'm at full tilt in these here threads.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Wed 26 Feb 2014, 11:04 am

SecretFly wrote:Since I'm gagged I usually have to write it.

It's..............................

Nope, can't tell it.  I don't want any English lads manipulating me when I'm at full tilt in these here threads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTrOb8zyrZk

Armageddon!
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 26 Feb 2014, 11:13 am

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..................... interesting!

Don't anyone want simple sex no more?  It seems if you want to make love these days you need a shed full of tools, some toilet roll tubes and the harem of suitable pets in the back yard zoo. Much too pricey in these penny pinching times

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 26 Feb 2014, 11:17 am

nobbled wrote:Sorry to go off topic - this isn't about spuds - what happened to Sexton?
His kicking out of hand against Wales was scarily accurate. His long kicks always found a good touch and his kicks put up to be chased were beautifully weighted. Against England they were pretty random. Too short for decent position and too long for a proper chase.

Was it just a bad day at the office? It happens to everyone I guess.

Was he under greater pressure to get the kicks away (I'd like to think so, but I don't think he was)?

I reckon that if he'd been as on song as he was against Wales, England would have lost.

When I was watching I noticed not long before the break he was making a clearance kick and got absolutely hammered by someone ( I suspect one of Wood, Lawes or Burrell). It was right at the corner of the shot and I couldnt see who caught him. The camera of course followed the ball and the action which was a long way away so I couldnt see what happened afterwards. I have no idea if it had an effect on him or not but it looked like a very heavy tackle.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 26 Feb 2014, 11:22 am

In the last 5-10 minutes it looked liked Sexton could barely walk, not sure if it was the pace of the game or he was injured but he looked out on his feet.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 26 Feb 2014, 11:23 am

lostinwales wrote:
nobbled wrote:Sorry to go off topic - this isn't about spuds - what happened to Sexton?
His kicking out of hand against Wales was scarily accurate. His long kicks always found a good touch and his kicks put up to be chased were beautifully weighted. Against England they were pretty random. Too short for decent position and too long for a proper chase.

Was he under greater pressure to get the kicks away (I'd like to think so, but I don't think he was)?

I reckon that if he'd been as on song as he was against Wales, England would have lost.

When I was watching I noticed not long before the break he was making a clearance kick and got absolutely hammered by someone ( I suspect one of Wood, Lawes or Burrell). It was right at the corner of the shot and I couldnt see who caught him. The camera of course followed the ball and the action which was a long way away so I couldnt see what happened afterwards. I have no idea if it had an effect on him or not but it looked like a very heavy tackle.

No surprises there. Around the 50 minute mark he was lying on the ground and appeared to be hurt or injured. I thought it happened in defense, a tackle or in a ruck though. He seemed dazed. ireland were awarded a penalty for something else and he gathered himself and kicked to touch. Didnt see any replays.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Wed 26 Feb 2014, 11:29 am

lostinwales wrote:

I think it was Farrell who attemted a charge down and being a bit 'unsighted' followed through just to be sure it was not a dummy kick.
Some would say a late tackle, but momentum, unsighted etc ? bit marginal, but took Sexton out, ref let it go.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 26 Feb 2014, 11:29 am

lostinwales wrote:

I've been saying this since the end of the game.  People are saying his form let him down...and seem to insist on keeping saying it even though they're prepared to accept maybe he had a bad knock or hit.  
His mind was letting him down because he wasn't right for most of the second half.  Players coming up to him and continually asking if he's okay/concerned glances etc is a prime hint that he wasn't on top of things.

I don't know why he wasn't taken off.  If coaches knew he wasn't completely there mentally then he should have been off.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 26 Feb 2014, 11:38 am

well england did the same with Farrel v france

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 26 Feb 2014, 11:40 am

gregortree wrote:
I think it was Farrell who attemted a charge down and being a bit 'unsighted' followed through just to be sure it was not a dummy kick.
Some would say a late tackle, but momentum, unsighted etc  ? bit marginal, but took Sexton out, ref let it go.

Twice in one game? Is he a booking waiting to happen?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 26 Feb 2014, 11:43 am

For me the top England players were Brown and Robshaw. I'd swap any of our current back rows for Robshaw at the moment. He is so effective in what he does.

One thing I liked about Brown was how he stood up to O'Driscoll in a scuffle aiming some choice words at the master. I know he is the bigger man but thats not the point. I like players that arent afraid to let their opposition know that they mean business and arent going to be pushed around without doing anything petulant. Drico's laugh it off response was good too.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Wed 26 Feb 2014, 11:47 am

GunsGerms wrote:
gregortree wrote:
Some would say a late tackle, but momentum, unsighted etc  ? bit marginal, but took Sexton out, ref let it go.

Ref let a few things go, or missed them, like the head tackle on Jonny May.

Btw: did Farrell do Sexton twice ? I remember the one.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 26 Feb 2014, 11:50 am

The issue is saw with it is there was no attempt to actual wrap the arms around, the lateness was marginal
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 26 Feb 2014, 11:50 am

I can't see how they missed the head tackle it was right infront of the touch judge.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 26 Feb 2014, 11:51 am

gregortree wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
gregortree wrote:

No the other was a late shoulder sharge on Conor Murray in the first half. I didnt see any Sexton incident to be honest.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 26 Feb 2014, 11:54 am

The warning/poss yellow card for Farrell was because of a late hit on Murray. It is quite possible that Farrell was the guy who hit Sexton later on that half, but given the warning I'd be wary about saying it was definitely him.

Stuff happened but it wasnt a defining part of the game, thankfully. I also though POM's ever so slightly over aggressive 'clearing out' of a ruck when Joubert already had his hand up was as dangerous as anything I saw.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 26 Feb 2014, 11:55 am

GunsGerms wrote:For me the top England players were Brown and Robshaw. I'd swap any of our current back rows for Robshaw at the moment. He is so effective in what he does.

One thing I liked about Brown was how he stood up to O'Driscoll in a scuffle aiming some choice words at the master. I know he is the bigger man but thats not the point. I like players that arent afraid to let their opposition know that they mean business and arent going to be pushed around without doing anything petulant. Drico's laugh it off response was good too.

I liked that too.. will obviously didn't like it because I'm an Ireland fan, but in principal I liked it because it showed a bit of Dog and that Brown didn't care about drico's reputation. That's the sort of player you want in a tough game.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Wed 26 Feb 2014, 11:56 am

GunsGerms wrote:
gregortree wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
gregortree wrote:

No the other was a late shoulder sharge on Conor Murray in the first half. I didnt see any Sexton incident to be honest.

My mistaken memory, looks like it was Murray who got 'charged down' by Farrell.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 26 Feb 2014, 11:58 am

I would guess the POM head tackle on May they let go because they would say that May ducked into it to an extent and it was just POM's hand. Good thing for May he has short hair though.

I know we are picking up on a lot of fine detail but it has to be reinforced again and again that both sides were generally very disciplined which contributed greatly to a fantastic match. Having Joubert working his whistle harder wouldnt have helped that at all

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 26 Feb 2014, 12:08 pm

I thought Brown's was an over-reaction to a tepid late challenge by BOD with no weight in it for which he was already apologising when Brown wanted none of it.  Brown's blood was obviously up which is grand (no problem with blood being up) - but it's pointed that he wasn't prepared to take the apology, even that the apology seemed to rile him even more.  He would have if it was any other player of course. Wink BOD was the red flag symbolism of the day

The Old and the New meeting for perhaps the last time.  Ah well, it's on its way to its rugby history shelf now.  Onwards for both sides.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Wed 26 Feb 2014, 1:34 pm

lostinwales wrote:I would guess the POM head tackle on May they let go because they would say that May ducked into it to an extent and it was just POM's hand. Good thing for May he has short hair though.

I know we are picking up on a lot of fine detail but it has to be reinforced again and again that both sides were generally very disciplined which contributed greatly to a fantastic match. Having Joubert working his whistle harder wouldnt have helped that at all

Could not agree more on both your key points.
And thirdly the rival fans at HQ and here on 606 have been about as well behaved as anyone could wish for. Teasing, banter, yes, no bile or wums.
Great effort lads.  clap 

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 26 Feb 2014, 1:59 pm

SecretFly wrote:I thought Brown's was an over-reaction to a tepid late challenge by BOD with no weight in it for which he was already apologising when Brown wanted none of it.  Brown's blood was obviously up which is grand (no problem with blood being up) - but it's pointed that he wasn't prepared to take the apology, even that the apology seemed to rile him even more.  He would have if it was any other player of course. Wink BOD was the red flag symbolism of the day

The Old and the New meeting for perhaps the last time.  Ah well, it's on its way to its rugby history shelf now.  Onwards for both sides.

It was fly but I thought his reaction summed up the belligerent, no compromise mind set England brought into this game.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 26 Feb 2014, 2:02 pm

Agreed Rodders. Dont give an inch. In some of our past victories v England they wilted a little when faced with Irish belligerence. They werent going to be bullied last Saturday though.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16