The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Six Nations: BBC promo they decided not to show you poking fun at England emerges ahead of Wales' Twickenham clash

+16
rodders
Scrumpy
beshocked
XR
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
mystiroakey
HammerofThunor
The Saint
Nematode
Notch
butterfingers
SecretFly
GloriousEmpire
Cyril
Taffineastbourne
Steffan
20 posters

Go down

Six Nations: BBC promo they decided not to show you poking fun at England emerges ahead of Wales' Twickenham clash Empty Six Nations: BBC promo they decided not to show you poking fun at England emerges ahead of Wales' Twickenham clash

Post by Steffan Tue 25 Feb 2014, 8:18 pm

[Click on link to see video]

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/six-nations-bbc-promo-decided-6742898

A BBC video of supporters from Wales, Ireland, Scotland, Italy and France has emerged on social media ahead of the crunch clash at Twickenham next week.

In it, the supporters - bearing their team's own colours - can be seen, confusingly, all chanting the name of the old enemy.

But by the end, it becomes clear just exactly why they are unanimously referring to Stuart Lancaster's men, with the appearance of the slogan: The Six Nations. It's not about who you want to win...it's about who you want to lose.

England's own supporters congregated in the pub are then shown at the end of the video and are not so sure about who, out of the rest of the Six Nations, they would most like to lose.

The smile-raising promo - which includes shots from around Wales and an appearance by the Cardiff Arms Park Choir - was seemingly produced by the BBC for the Six Nations tournament in 2012.

It was posted on Twitter by a producer from broadcast rivals BT Sport but apparently never saw the light of day because of the way it may have been construed by English fans.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Any proper reason why the BBC pulled this? It is political correctness gone mad as usual

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Six Nations: BBC promo they decided not to show you poking fun at England emerges ahead of Wales' Twickenham clash Empty Re: Six Nations: BBC promo they decided not to show you poking fun at England emerges ahead of Wales' Twickenham clash

Post by Taffineastbourne Tue 25 Feb 2014, 8:21 pm

Tickled me!A sense of humour bypass at BBC detected shocker.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Six Nations: BBC promo they decided not to show you poking fun at England emerges ahead of Wales' Twickenham clash Empty Re: Six Nations: BBC promo they decided not to show you poking fun at England emerges ahead of Wales' Twickenham clash

Post by Cyril Tue 25 Feb 2014, 8:26 pm

It doesn't offend me Smile

I would have thought it would annoy fans from the other nations more as, once again, it makes out as if everything is about England.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Tue 25 Feb 2014, 8:28 pm

After decades of it we have become immune!

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Tue 25 Feb 2014, 8:29 pm

Personally, I'm with Stuart Lee, my favourite comedian in the entire world on political correctness. As he bravely demonstrates with this progressively more offensive routine.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tHA1ufmLZQY

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 25 Feb 2014, 8:40 pm

Cyril wrote:It doesn't offend me Smile

I would have thought it would annoy fans from the other nations more as, once again, it makes out as if everything is about England.

Cyril is spot on. It's a tad self-aggrandizing. Nothing offensive...and yes, humourous to a point....but a tad self-serving. 'Yous all in one corner and Us English in the other corner.'

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 25 Feb 2014, 8:41 pm

....but are we sure nobody has ever seen that promo before? It has a familiar feel to me, I'm almost certain I've seen it before

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by butterfingers Tue 25 Feb 2014, 9:12 pm

SecretFly wrote:....but are we sure nobody has ever seen that promo before?  It has a familiar feel to me, I'm almost certain I've seen it before

I definately have, can't remember where, but I've seen it before because I recognised it from the off!!!

Whoever has released this (possibly Gatland and crew) has done it on purpose, or possibly a BBC cohert trying to boost ratings.

butterfingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 25 Feb 2014, 9:31 pm

It's quite funny really. But I don't really concern myself with hoping any team loses nowadays as a matter of course, more when it directly affects Ireland.

I would quite like England to lose in the next round as they are the closest to Ireland on points difference!!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 25 Feb 2014, 9:43 pm

I cheered on England last Saturday as did all the other Welsh people I know

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Tue 25 Feb 2014, 9:57 pm

It's brilliant and should have been shown.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 25 Feb 2014, 10:00 pm

I kinda wonder which team dislikes Wales the most now. Before it was clearly England as all the English I knew wanted us to lose against France in the 2011 RWC semi but to be fair we also wanted them to lose. Even though we beat Ireland to get to the semis most Irish still wanted us to beat France. After the Lions tour though and O'Driscoll-gate I get the impression Ireland now dislike Wales the most. All the Welsh people I know though apart from a few people like myself were cheering them on against New Zealand last autumn

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue 25 Feb 2014, 10:07 pm

Poor guys, I know how it feels. Everyone hates the Welsh and English!

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 26 Feb 2014, 12:35 am

The Saint wrote:Poor guys, I know how it feels. Everyone hates the Welsh and English!

You wish. I know you're on a one-man campaign to make out Wales are the most hated team...but there can be only one. And sorry but you're not there yet.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 26 Feb 2014, 7:51 am

Steffan wrote:I cheered on England last Saturday as did all the other Welsh people I know
haha- you just leave it with that one sentence steffan..

come on mate this thread is about you more than anyone.. You only supported England for Wales's benefit only. Your sportiong life usually revolves around wanting to see England lose at everything

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 26 Feb 2014, 8:01 am

SecretFly wrote:
Cyril wrote:It doesn't offend me Smile

Cyril is spot on.  It's a tad self-aggrandizing.  Nothing offensive...and yes, humourous to a point....but a tad self-serving.   'Yous all in one corner and Us English in the other corner.'

Quite. The Irish were desperate to point out that Wales were the big rivals now (shortly after theyd beaten them funnily enough!)

Look its no great surprise the thing was helfd back, and has clearly been leaked now to "go viral" and drum up interest. The BBC employ people specifically to plant stuff on social media. Its getting people tweeting about 6 nations etc and drumming up the rivalry. Its a bit artificial but when it comes down to it its this sort of partisan nonsense that makes the 6 nations what it is ...something that people emotionally invest in.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 26 Feb 2014, 8:09 am

The England fans are in the pub and everyone else is hanging about saying 'England'.

Who is the real winner?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Wed 26 Feb 2014, 8:20 am

I actually thought the funniest bit of the whole promo was when it cut to the English fans and they were just sat there.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 26 Feb 2014, 8:44 am

GloriousEmpire wrote:
Personally, I'm with Stuart Lee, my favourite comedian in the entire world on political correctness. As he bravely demonstrates with this progressively more offensive routine.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tHA1ufmLZQY

...I am not saying your brave national hero didnt have sex with her(the 4 year old)

laughing  laughing  laughing  laughing

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 26 Feb 2014, 8:56 am

gcBlues wrote:I actually thought the funniest bit of the whole promo was when it cut to the English fans and they were just sat there.

That was essentially the punchline

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 26 Feb 2014, 9:00 am

IronMike wrote:
gcBlues wrote:I actually thought the funniest bit of the whole promo was when it cut to the English fans and they were just sat there.

The punchline was that the english didnt know what to say and then just laughed and couldn't decide who they wanted to lose..

Basically We dont care..

Yes its a p!ss take on the others. But the thing is they wont get it and think its all some luvey dovy - all together against England BS.

which is fine as well.. Take of it what you will.

Its a pretty low quality advert in fairness- not surprised it was cut.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 26 Feb 2014, 10:26 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:

Quite. The Irish were desperate to point out that Wales were the big rivals now (shortly after theyd beaten them funnily enough!)

Well in advance of beating them actually. Nobody needs a dossier presented to them as to why many Irish might feel the Welsh are their sting side. It's been in all the papers over the years.... even in England Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 26 Feb 2014, 10:29 am

mystiroakey wrote:
IronMike wrote:

The punchline was that the english didnt know what to say and then just laughed and couldn't decide who they wanted to lose..

Basically We dont care..

NOT what years of 606 Welsh/English baiting threads tells me, mystir!! The English??? - it's the Welsh see. They do like to see a good Welsh beating - especially if it's a SH side doing it. They lock away those for future banter ammo.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 26 Feb 2014, 10:31 am

To be honest it's not surprising that Ireland and France would want England to lose - England are the biggest threat to them because of the points difference. Even if you take out general rivalry.

Why would the Italians want England to lose? We don't really have much of a rivalry with them.

Scotland - probably would want England to lose which is fair enough. They've been beaten quite a few times by England - would probably satisfy them to see England knocked down a peg or two.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 26 Feb 2014, 10:31 am

After putting up with Jiffy, Guscott and Inverdale on the Beeb all these years why did they think that this would offend us?
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 26 Feb 2014, 10:34 am

The Saint wrote:Poor guys, I know how it feels. Everyone hates the Welsh and English!

I wouldn't take it personal people only tolerate the Scots and Irish because of the oil and tax breaks respectively.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 26 Feb 2014, 10:38 am

..and because we'll be the first to be invaded if America declares war on Europe.

"Welcome, welcome yanks, and sure if it isn't Jamsie that left in '82!  What's taking you back this way with the bayonet in me face for? - Merkel?  - Ha! ha!!  We don't like her much neether"

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Wed 26 Feb 2014, 10:41 am

Scrumpy wrote:After putting up with Jiffy, Guscott and Inverdale on the Beeb all these years why did they think that this would offend us?

A good point very well made!

nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Wed 26 Feb 2014, 10:52 am

There is only one Spartacus !

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 26 Feb 2014, 10:58 am

I think the ad is great, the Beeb should run with it.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 26 Feb 2014, 11:03 am

I just dont like the message it sends out scrumps..

They would never run a 4nations ad like that.

Shouldn't we all get past the historical hate and nationalistic BS and just strive for perfection.

The ad is made when oddly enough we have a new rivalry(wales v ireland)

What are the Beeb trying to do- kill that rivalry in its tracks and remind everyone to hate England and that its also all about England.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 26 Feb 2014, 11:09 am

C'mon, mild xenophobia is what the whole tournament is about !
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 26 Feb 2014, 11:10 am

I disagree Mystiroakey,

Its a bit of fun.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 26 Feb 2014, 11:12 am

Steffan wrote:I cheered on England last Saturday as did all the other Welsh people I know

Thats only in recognition that Ireland are Wales' biggest rivals these days.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 26 Feb 2014, 11:12 am

Ok But why cant we have loads of different rivialires against each other- why focus it on England.

Why not have different adverts to really ramp it up. Like a Scotsman deep frying pasta in anger. Or a passionate irishman taking leek and potato soup of the menu

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Wed 26 Feb 2014, 11:17 am

You can't have a 6 nations without a spot of rivalry between said nations.
Having said that, I feel sorry for Italy....
Everyone loves them, their food, language, culture. What's not to like ?
So they have no rivalry to spur them on.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 26 Feb 2014, 11:18 am

beshocked wrote:To be honest it's not surprising that Ireland and France would want England to lose - England are the biggest threat to them because of the points difference. Even if you take out general rivalry.

Why would the Italians want England to lose? We don't really have much of a rivalry with them.

Scotland - probably would want England to lose which is fair enough. They've been beaten quite a few times by England - would probably satisfy them to see England knocked down a peg or two.

From an Irish point of view in terms of championship prospects yes we would like England to lose by a small margin.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 26 Feb 2014, 11:20 am

munkian wrote:C'mon, mild xenophobia is what the whole tournament is about !

Seems to be the case for Brian Moore when commentating on France games anyway.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 26 Feb 2014, 11:27 am

mystiroakey wrote:I just dont like the message it sends out scrumps..

Shouldn't we all get past the historical hate and nationalistic BS and just strive for perfection.

What are the Beeb trying to do- kill that rivalry in its tracks and remind everyone to hate England and that its also all about England.

It was apparently made two years ago, so we weren't really in our alleged rivalry with Ireland then.

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 26 Feb 2014, 11:28 am

Risca Rev wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:I just dont like the message it sends out scrumps..

It was apparently made two years ago, so we weren't really in our alleged rivalry with Ireland then.
Ok that makes more sense

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 26 Feb 2014, 11:32 am

A former BBC producer now with BT Sport released it on some media site I believe.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 26 Feb 2014, 11:54 am

It was shown before - must have been in 2012. It mightn't have lasted long (complaints???) but I definitely saw it a few years ago.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 26 Feb 2014, 11:58 am

SecretFly wrote:It was shown before - must have been in 2012.  It mightn't have lasted long (complaints???) but I definitely saw it a few years ago.

I have to admitt I thought that too. or maybe I've seen it first hand?
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down