The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who else do you support in the 6 Nations?

+20
TJ
B91212
CraigS1874
RDSguru
Cowshot
21st Century Schizoid Man
Chjw131
Engine#4
funnyExiledScot
Steffan
Breadvan
Nematode
quinsforever
Notch
Submachine
SecretFly
Irish Londoner
beshocked
Geordie
The Saint
24 posters

Go down

Who else do you support in the 6 Nations?

Who else do you support in the 6 Nations? Vote_lcap12%Who else do you support in the 6 Nations? Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 4 ]
Who else do you support in the 6 Nations? Vote_lcap3%Who else do you support in the 6 Nations? Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]
Who else do you support in the 6 Nations? Vote_lcap9%Who else do you support in the 6 Nations? Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 3 ]
Who else do you support in the 6 Nations? Vote_lcap26%Who else do you support in the 6 Nations? Vote_rcap 26% 
[ 9 ]
Who else do you support in the 6 Nations? Vote_lcap18%Who else do you support in the 6 Nations? Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 6 ]
Who else do you support in the 6 Nations? Vote_lcap18%Who else do you support in the 6 Nations? Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 6 ]
Who else do you support in the 6 Nations? Vote_lcap14%Who else do you support in the 6 Nations? Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 34

Who else do you support in the 6 Nations? Empty Who else do you support in the 6 Nations?

Post by The Saint Mon 03 Mar 2014, 3:48 pm

As a Welshman I support Wales above all else in any rugby tournament. During 6 Nations time I've always had a designated 2nd team that I cheered for when my first team weren't playing. It's rarely the underdog unlike most people, as Italy for example, who are usually the underdog often play such a negative style of Rugby. In the past I got behind Ireland as I've always admired a few of their players and admire the rugby system they have, and what it's achieved in comparison to the larger unions. The Irish 2013 campaign agaisnt Gats and JD2 changed all that though. I've been a resident in Bristol for a while. During my time here I've soaked up the culture and the women, and suddenly, supporting England just came naturally to me. England have been my 2nd team for a while. I've cheered them on in AI matches, 6 Nations matches and celebrated their victories. Plus I think when you're a guest in another country you should show courteousy and respect to those around you.

Who else do you support in the 6 Nations and why?

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Who else do you support in the 6 Nations? Empty Re: Who else do you support in the 6 Nations?

Post by Geordie Mon 03 Mar 2014, 3:54 pm

I support England in the 6n and noone else.

Indeed in sport as a whole i support England (or GB in athletics etc) and have a soft spot for Liberia, as i lived there for many years when my dad worked over there.

I dont have any affinity to the home nations even though my mother is Scottish. Unfortunately spending alot of time in Scotland i have experienced at first hand the "Anyone but England" brigade and it does have an affect on any support you may give them...

Last edited by GeordieFalcon on Mon 03 Mar 2014, 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Who else do you support in the 6 Nations? Empty Re: Who else do you support in the 6 Nations?

Post by beshocked Mon 03 Mar 2014, 3:58 pm

Soft spot for Italy. They are the underdog and probably one of the only countries that doesn't have an anyone but England stance in my opinion.

I remember Italian football fans supporting England when they played Germany in the 2010 football world cup for example.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Mon 03 Mar 2014, 4:33 pm

There used to be a shop (maybe still is)in one of the arcades near Cardiff castle that sold various Welsh gifts and souveneirs and one that always struck me was a t-shirt with a "cartoon" of a rugby player on the front in various international shirt colours, red, blue, green, etc.
Underneath was the wordlng "I support Wales/Scotland/Ireland/etc." and on the back were the words "And whoever's playing England"....

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 03 Mar 2014, 4:38 pm

The Saint wrote:As a Welshman I support Wales above all else in any rugby tournament. During 6 Nations time I've always had a designated 2nd team that I cheered for when my first team weren't playing. It's rarely the underdog unlike most people, as Italy for example, who are usually the underdog often play such a negative style of Rugby. In the past I got behind Ireland as I've always admired a few of their players and admire the rugby system they have, and what it's achieved in comparison to the larger unions. The Irish 2013 campaign agaisnt Gats and JD2 changed all that though. I've been a resident in Bristol for a while. During my time here I've soaked up the culture and the women, and suddenly, supporting England just came naturally to me. England have been my 2nd team for a while. I've cheered them on in AI matches, 6 Nations matches and celebrated their victories. Plus I think when you're a guest in another country you should show courteousy and respect to those around you.

I'm furious that the Irish 2013 campaign - of which I was a paid up and conscientious militant member; both on the pickets and wearing the appropriate boring brown clothes and 70s hairstyle with sideburns - lost us a Welsh 'Second Favourite Side' fan.
'Second Favourite Side' fans are hard to come by and the loss is noted with some sadness.

But I must point out a few inconsistencies in the above post that makes me suspicious about all this:

Given that the stated date of disillusionment with all things rugby and Irish is put down to BodGatGate, the date shouldn't be much earlier than July 1st, 2013.
So???  M'Lord, I put it to Saint, and ask him directly - just when did he become a resident in Bristol?  Did his arrival pre-date July 1st 2013?

He goes on to state that England have been his  - and I quote - "2nd team for a while", which again seems to throw doubt on the suddeness of his conversion being caused by BodGatGate.

I state my belief that the women of Bristol had indeed turned Saint well in advance of said July 1st 2013; and that he now uses a controversal incident of Unrequited Love (between Bod and Gats) to gloss over the true role of his own lust in causing him to turn to the dark side in favouring England as his Second Favourite Side.  That is to say, Saint must have a current English girlfriend.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 03 Mar 2014, 4:46 pm

I would share Geordie's hardened view that I don't have a soft spot for any other team in 6N.  You're trying to beat these guys.  All of them.

Neither do I truly hate any of them.  They're just sides in the way and, as always, that's war, not cuddly emotions.  

Plus, I'll only really support an underdog when there is a vested interest in doing so.  I'm ruthlessly cold hearted in rugby.  I'll be supporting Italy against England on the final day. Wink But Italy wouldn't certainly always get my vote in a mismatch.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Mon 03 Mar 2014, 4:53 pm

Scots. 2nd favourite fandom started as a 15 year old on a tour to Edinburgh in the early 90's. Probably for similar reasons that fly is postulating above.
It was sorely tested during the 90's when they routinely beat the bejaysis out of us every year. Thankfully a second tour to Edinburgh in the late 90's reafirmed my loyalty. Are all girls from Stirling so friendly?

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 03 Mar 2014, 6:00 pm

Braveheart 
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Mon 03 Mar 2014, 6:09 pm

France. Unquestionably. The atmosphere at french games is second to none. Any team that can knock NZ out of a world cup knockout stage, twice, is always going to be the team i root for in neutral matches. Plus my wife's family is half french and i love watching matches with them.

Used to love Wales, being half welsh, but some of the fans have completely turned me off. The welsh playing style has also turned me off compared to the magical individualism and creativity of the 70s and 80s.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Mon 03 Mar 2014, 7:07 pm

To be honest any team that's playing free flowing rugby and unafraid to put width on the ball.

I'm Scottish so Scotland's my first team but I also support Ireland.

Got to say I think England are shaping up quite well for RWC 2015. Under rated pack and then the likes of Ford, Yarde, Watson, Brown, Wade, Tuilagi, Burgess.  Shocked 

For the future Lions:

Care/Murray, Ford/Biggar, North/Watson, Burgess/Scott/Marshall, Davies/Tuilagi/Bennett, Yarde/Brown/Zebo, Hogg/Halfpenny. And there's tons missed.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Mon 03 Mar 2014, 7:36 pm

Soft spot for Italy, but just want to see a great game, no matter whose playing.
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 03 Mar 2014, 7:40 pm

Italy are my second favourite team. I cheer them on as the underdog but I have also been a fan of quite a few players they have had since joining the 6 nations

Ireland and England are my least favourite teams and I support whoever plays them. When they play each other normally I want both teams to lose (even though its not possible) Laugh

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 03 Mar 2014, 7:50 pm

Nematode wrote:To be honest any team that's playing free flowing rugby and unafraid to put width on the ball.

I'm Scottish so Scotland's my first team but I also support Ireland.

Got to say I think England are shaping up quite well for RWC 2015. Under rated pack and then the likes of Ford, Yarde, Watson, Brown, Wade, Tuilagi, Burgess.  Shocked 

For the future Lions:

Care/Murray, Ford/Biggar, North/Watson, Burgess/Scott/Marshall, Davies/Tuilagi/Bennett, Yarde/Brown/Zebo, Hogg/Halfpenny. And there's tons missed.

Mere speculation. A lot of people usually come out with this tripe about England's untested players and depth, this is why I think some people can seriously overrate their rugby team. As it stands they are a pretty decent outfit right now.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 03 Mar 2014, 7:50 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:I support England in the 6n and noone else.

Indeed in sport as a whole i support England (or GB in athletics etc) and have a soft spot for Liberia, as i lived there for many years when my dad worked over there.

I dont have any affinity to the home nations even though my mother is Scottish. Unfortunately spending alot of time in Scotland i have experienced at first hand the "Anyone but England" brigade and it does have an affect on any support you may give them...

I completely understand. I am 100% Scottish but my wife is English and she finds the level of "anyone but England" across Scotland deeply tiresome, and since moving back here with her, so do I.

Back in the 90s, during my teenage years (and in part fuelled by an England side full of "characters" playing dreadful but annoying successful rugby), I probably felt and acted the same way, but unlike many Scots I managed to grow out of it. Whilst I love the Calcutta Cup rivallry and all the banter that goes with it, comments along the lines of "I'd support Al Quaeda against England", something my wife was able to enjoy whilst watching an England football match in the pub with me last year, annoys me hugely.

I am seriously hoping that a strong "No" vote this September will act to quell all that sort of sillyness, and act as an affirmation of the fact that the UK is better together and greater than the sum of its parts. I am forever hopeful.

Back to rugby - I usually find myself cheering on the underdog both when Scotland are and are not playing. I like seeing Italy do well against other sides (loved the France upset last season), and like seeing the under resourced Pacific Island sides giving it a real go (sorry Wales, but I couldn't help but cheer on the Fijians and Samoans when they put you out of several WCs). I also cheer every NH side going up against the big 3.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 03 Mar 2014, 7:51 pm

Also, I see nobody has voted for Wales yet someone has voted for 'Anything playing Wales.' Just as I expected Whistle.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Engine#4 Mon 03 Mar 2014, 8:02 pm

...did you vote 'Anything but Wales' Saint? Be honest now...

Engine#4

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 03 Mar 2014, 8:03 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I am seriously hoping that a strong "No" vote this September will act to quell all that sort of sillyness, and act as an affirmation of the fact that the UK is better together and greater than the sum of its parts. I am forever hopeful.

Back to rugby - I usually find myself cheering on the underdog both when Scotland are and are not playing. I like seeing Italy do well against other sides (loved the France upset last season), and like seeing the under resourced Pacific Island sides giving it a real go (sorry Wales, but I couldn't help but cheer on the Fijians and Samoans when they put you out of several WCs). I also cheer every NH side going up against the big 3
I will be gutted for Scotland if they vote "No". I am not a fan of Scotland in rugby or football but hope they get their independence as its a beautiful place and the next time I go there hopefully it will be as an independent country

Also back to rugby...and I have no issues with you wanting Wales to lose to Pacific Island sides I would cheer them on against you lot as well although most Welsh people I know wanted you to win the other day against Italy

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 03 Mar 2014, 8:13 pm

And it wasn't several times they knocked us out either... But I would probably root for them against a top tier team, like I rooted for Tonga against France. They're not so much the underdogs these days, they can mix it up with the big boys. Italy need a win over England and then they would have claimed a win over every team in the 6N. They came close last year at HQ, so I guess a few may be supporting them this year? I can only see an England win though.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Mon 03 Mar 2014, 8:43 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:

I completely understand. I am 100% Scottish but my wife is English and she finds the level of "anyone but England" across Scotland deeply tiresome, and since moving back here with her, so do I.

Back in the 90s, during my teenage years (and in part fuelled by an England side full of "characters" playing dreadful but annoying successful rugby), I probably felt and acted the same way, but unlike many Scots I managed to grow out of it. Whilst I love the Calcutta Cup rivallry and all the banter that goes with it, comments along the lines of "I'd support Al Quaeda against England", something my wife was able to enjoy whilst watching an England football match in the pub with me last year, annoys me hugely.

I am seriously hoping that a strong "No" vote this September will act to quell all that sort of sillyness, and act as an affirmation of the fact that the UK is better together and greater than the sum of its parts. I am forever hopeful.

Back to rugby - I usually find myself cheering on the underdog both when Scotland are and are not playing. I like seeing Italy do well against other sides (loved the France upset last season), and like seeing the under resourced Pacific Island sides giving it a real go (sorry Wales, but I couldn't help but cheer on the Fijians and Samoans when they put you out of several WCs). I also cheer every NH side going up against the big 3.

Top stuff FES. I for one will be saddened if Scotland vote for independence. It's a beautiful country with it's own identity but we have so much shared history as Great Britain and the Uk and I fervently hope it will continue forward as such.

On the rugby front I voted for Ireland. Not that I really have a second team as such and have also experienced the 'anyone but England' brigade. I have always had great times though whenever visiting Ireland and have found more than a fair share of extremely hospitable folk!

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Mon 03 Mar 2014, 8:45 pm

Steffan wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:I am seriously hoping that a strong "No" vote this September will act to quell all that sort of sillyness, and act as an affirmation of the fact that the UK is better together and greater than the sum of its parts. I am forever hopeful.

Back to rugby - I usually find myself cheering on the underdog both when Scotland are and are not playing. I like seeing Italy do well against other sides (loved the France upset last season), and like seeing the under resourced Pacific Island sides giving it a real go (sorry Wales, but I couldn't help but cheer on the Fijians and Samoans when they put you out of several WCs). I also cheer every NH side going up against the big 3
I will be gutted for Scotland if they vote "No". I am not a fan of Scotland in rugby or football but hope they get their independence as its a beautiful place and the next time I go there hopefully it will be as an independent country

Also back to rugby...and I have no issues with you wanting Wales to lose to Pacific Island sides I would cheer them on against you lot as well although most Welsh people I know wanted you to win the other day against Italy

Of course because Scotland can't be beautiful and have it's own identity at the moment!

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Mon 03 Mar 2014, 8:47 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:

Wait a minute - you connect being anti-English with being pro-independence. Are you Ailstair Darling or Johann Lamont or any other of the Quislings ? And how do you get away with blatant politicking when we were warned not to ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 03 Mar 2014, 8:58 pm

Chjw131 wrote:Of course because  Scotland can't be beautiful and have it's own identity at the moment!
I never said that. Just personally for me I would love to there and visit Scotland again without it being under the control of Westminister and the UK government

Basically it would be great for Scotland to be an independent country as opposed to 'Just another part of the UK'

VOTE YES

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Mon 03 Mar 2014, 9:22 pm

With an Irish Mum, Ireland are my default second side - and one of my cousins played for Ireland a (very) few times so really, it's a no-brainer. I also spent time in Scotland - took me twenty years and an article from Mr Beattie to start supporting them again. Beyond that I have a sort of priority list: anyone from these islands against anyone else, then N. Hemisphere against South. Smile Worth it just for the utter disbelief of the French when you yell Allez les Bleus!

Beyond that, I think having two separate political states in this island would be a really really bad idea.

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 03 Mar 2014, 9:28 pm

FES

Its not everyone up there that's for sure, I have some very good friends up there who also don't like that attitude, but it does exist as it does in some of the other homes nations.

If its because of the perceived "better than though" attitude, or the other perceived "arrogance" the its a shame as the majority of the English people are nothing like that. Anyway its irrelevant now.

Without getting political I also hope they choose "no"...think it would be the wrong decision and I have my opinions but this isn't the forum for raising those.

Back on the OP....whilst I don't support them I confess it is a pleasure to watch the real France when they are at their majestic best playing carefree high risk rugby...no team in the world can play like that when they do. Shame we haven't seen much of it over the last few years...I think they need to bring in a coach who is prepared to go back to that style...and pick the best players...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 03 Mar 2014, 9:44 pm

Here, leave it out with the Independence Referendum chat. You all know the rules!

(As it happens, I'm itching to get stuck in but I can't as I'm a Mod and that means none of you get to either!)
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Mon 03 Mar 2014, 9:59 pm

Notch wrote:Here, leave it out with the Independence Referendum chat. You all know the rules!

(As it happens, I'm itching to get stuck in but I can't as I'm a Mod and that means none of you get to either!)

Is there not an indy thread somewhere?

If so, merge it into the superthread.  king thumbsup 

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 03 Mar 2014, 10:13 pm

The independence arguement is pointless anyway. Just do the right thing Scotland and vote YES

Anyway...if Wales lose on Saturday I hope France go on and win the championship couldnt handle the smuggness of English or Irish fans if they secured the 6 nations title

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 03 Mar 2014, 10:36 pm

Steffan wrote:The independence arguement is pointless anyway. Just do the right thing Scotland and vote YES

Anyway...if Wales lose on Saturday I hope France go on and win the championship couldnt handle the smuggness of English or Irish fans if they secured the 6 nations title

Oh really...the smugness of English or Irish fans??? Please go troll somewhere else.

We all know if Wales win you'll be on here winding it up...and if they get beat you'll be nowhere in sight.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Mon 03 Mar 2014, 10:37 pm

Smugness? Good grief man. Practically swimming in the stuff in Wales for the past 2 years. Post lions final test it was like frickin treacle...
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by RDSguru Mon 03 Mar 2014, 10:54 pm

The Saint wrote:As a Welshman I support Wales above all else in any rugby tournament. During 6 Nations time I've always had a designated 2nd team that I cheered for when my first team weren't playing. It's rarely the underdog unlike most people, as Italy for example, who are usually the underdog often play such a negative style of Rugby. In the past I got behind Ireland as I've always admired a few of their players and admire the rugby system they have, and what it's achieved in comparison to the larger unions. The Irish 2013 campaign agaisnt Gats and JD2 changed all that though. I've been a resident in Bristol for a while. During my time here I've soaked up the culture and the women, and suddenly, supporting England just came naturally to me. England have been my 2nd team for a while. I've cheered them on in AI matches, 6 Nations matches and celebrated their victories. Plus I think when you're a guest in another country you should show courteousy and respect to those around you.

Personally, I think you "should show courteousy and respect to those around you", no matter where you are.

As for the poll.... I tend to go with the underdog, or whichever team can do Wales a favour when we've messed one up..... Shocked

RDSguru

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 03 Mar 2014, 11:04 pm

In all fairness I have never cheered against England in any sport when actually being in England (apart from when I was at Twickenham supporting Wales)

The only time I did it was while working in Somerset last year and we were in the local workingmans club and England were playing Scotland in a friendly at football. The fellow Englishmen on the excavation and the locals in the club moaned about it and said that we were being childish and they would support Wales against a foreign side as to which we pointed out that England were not playing a foreign side they were playing Scotland  Laugh

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Mon 03 Mar 2014, 11:05 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:
Steffan wrote:The independence arguement is pointless anyway. Just do the right thing Scotland and vote YES

Oh really...the smugness of English or Irish fans??? Please go troll somewhere else.

We all know if Wales win you'll be on here winding it up...and if they get beat you'll be nowhere in sight.

clap 

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by CraigS1874 Tue 04 Mar 2014, 12:48 am

As a Scot my second team is Italy, It is great to see the game grow and italy need as much interest in rugby as they can get.

As a youngster I used to hate England just because that pack they had in 2003, although it was very good, apart from richard hill/ben kay nobody was very charismatic unlike just now. But since then I have began to dislike Wales more due to their support at home and away games. They are great supporters of the team but I do think they are the most "football" like supporters out of all the nations.
But we do have a great competition and its fantastic to see thousands of away fans travel and never any trouble in the six nations.

CraigS1874

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Tue 04 Mar 2014, 2:56 am

Canada from the second tier of course but from teams in and around the top ten then Ireland just from the other 'home' nations, then generally the underdogs such as the Pacific Islands. When the big 3 SH teams play each other then I tend to cheer on SA, just like their style of rugby and the people I guess (although I've nothing against the other SH folks whatsoever).

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 04 Mar 2014, 8:45 am

Steffan wrote:In all fairness I have never cheered against England in any sport when actually being in England (apart from when I was at Twickenham supporting Wales)
The only time I did it was while working in Somerset last year and we were in the local workingmans club and England were playing Scotland in a friendly at football. The fellow Englishmen on the excavation and the locals in the club moaned about it and said that we were being childish and they would support Wales against a foreign side as to which we pointed out that England were not playing a foreign side they were playing Scotland  Laugh

Good...we dont want your support.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue 04 Mar 2014, 9:19 am

I support Scotland. No one else. You cannot support two different teams.

I like to see Italy do well mind you - so long as its not the scots they are beating.

The side you support is in your heart and there is only room for one international and one club team.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 04 Mar 2014, 9:30 am

I support Scotland but since my dad is Welsh they are my second team.

Don't like Gatland though, or his style of rugger.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue 04 Mar 2014, 10:12 am

As an Englishman living in Scotland with an english name and english accent the supposed "hatred of england / the english " is really very marginal indeed nowadays and is not a significant part of the independence debate.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 04 Mar 2014, 10:15 am

Where are you based TJ?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 04 Mar 2014, 10:27 am

I support the favourite. The underdog gets too much love in my opinion.

The problem is with the 6N, who is the favourite?

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue 04 Mar 2014, 10:52 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:Where are you based TJ?

Edinburgh - But I grew up in glasgow. Ihave lived 30 years in Scotland

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 04 Mar 2014, 10:56 am

Where abouts in Glasgow? My mam is from Rutherglen..I spent alot of time there.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by charliehesketh Tue 04 Mar 2014, 12:00 pm

Ireland (I'm English)  They are a good team, but win or lose in good spirit.  I feel that's the way it should be.  I'm afraid I find this "anyone but ... " attitude disappointing, and it feeds on itself until things become nasty and silly.

Friendly rivalry is great, unpleasant rivalry is to my mind just nasty, and has no place in the rugby that many of us know from the elite level, right down to grass roots.  Play hard on the pitch, even get a little bit upset with each other (!), then make up and enjoy it all, win or lose.

charliehesketh

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue 04 Mar 2014, 3:03 pm

The 'Anyone but England' thing that is sometimes prevalent in Wales is just part of the rugby rivalry we enjoy with our neighbours, I wouldn't take it so personally. Not all of us conform to this philosophy though. I can't speak for the football fans thoughts, but I know that a few support England in football (as well as Wales) after a lifetime of following some of the clubs.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by charliehesketh Tue 04 Mar 2014, 8:42 pm

The Saint wrote:The 'Anyone but England' thing that is sometimes prevalent in Wales is just part of the rugby rivalry we enjoy with our neighbours, I wouldn't take it so personally. Not all of us conform to this philosophy though.

Hmmm.... pleased to hear you don't conform to that.

charliehesketh

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue 04 Mar 2014, 8:50 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Where abouts in Glasgow? My mam is from Rutherglen..I spent alot of time there.

Muirend. Went to Hillpark

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 05 Mar 2014, 4:49 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Where abouts in Glasgow? My mam is from Rutherglen..I spent alot of time there.

Ahh Geordie - same place where Wee Dunky Weir hails from - Rutherglen (Cathkin)

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Thu 06 Mar 2014, 8:56 am

Regardless of who we support (and who we have a second affection for) at club or country level, I hope that we can keep hold of rugby's great traditions of non-segregated support, banter and mickey taking and no more, and the best of all the games traditions "win or lose on the booze".

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 06 Mar 2014, 9:11 am

TJ wrote:As an Englishman living in Scotland with an english name and english accent the supposed "hatred of england / the english " is really very marginal indeed nowadays and is not a significant part of the independence debate.

laughing 

In the same way that UKIP arent racist?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down