The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Elena Baltacha Diagnosed With Liver Cancer

5 posters

Go down

Elena Baltacha Diagnosed With Liver Cancer Empty Elena Baltacha Diagnosed With Liver Cancer

Post by Guest Fri 07 Mar 2014, 4:45 pm

Don't really post here anymore but... fu*k! I thought I had a sh*t day. My deepest hopes for a good recovery, 30 year olds should NOT be suffering conditions like that..

Back to top Go down

Elena Baltacha Diagnosed With Liver Cancer Empty Re: Elena Baltacha Diagnosed With Liver Cancer

Post by laverfan Fri 07 Mar 2014, 6:15 pm

This is very tragic, Falzy. Yesterday (was it day before) was watching Kleybanova play Duvall and it was wonderful to see her recovery from Hodgkin's Lymphoma.

http://straightsets.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/18/kleybanova-plots-return-after-two-year-cancer-fight/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

The Elena bit is here - http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/tennis/26488401

At the age of 19, Baltacha was diagnosed with primary sclerosing cholangitis, a chronic liver condition which compromises the immune system.

Very glad to see that Elena wants to coach. Fight Elena!

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Elena Baltacha Diagnosed With Liver Cancer Empty Re: Elena Baltacha Diagnosed With Liver Cancer

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 08 Mar 2014, 10:40 pm

Very sad and worrying news this. I am sure Elena will fight to beat this and I wish her all the very best.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 11 Mar 2014, 5:06 pm

This is terrible Sad

She will need a liver transplant and I can only hope she gets one. Good luck Elena
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 11 Mar 2014, 5:09 pm

That is, I assume it's a cholangiocarcinoma as that's what is associated with PSC. Not a good cancer to get at all
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 13 Mar 2014, 2:23 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:That is, I assume it's a cholangiocarcinoma as that's what is associated with PSC. Not a good cancer to get at all

Known risk factors for cholangiocarcinoma include primary sclerosing cholangitis (an inflammatory disease of the bile ducts), congenital liver malformations, infection with the parasitic liver flukes Opisthorchis viverrini or Clonorchis sinensis, and exposure to Thorotrast (thorium dioxide), a chemical formerly used in medical imaging. However, most patients with cholangiocarcinoma have no identifiable specific risk factors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholangiocarcinoma

See also - http://www.cholangiocarcinoma.org/definition.htm

At the age of 19, Baltacha was diagnosed with primary sclerosing cholangitis, a chronic liver condition which compromises the immune system.

She had the risk factor.

I hope she can find a suitable donor, if it comes to a transplant.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 13 Mar 2014, 2:24 pm

It's a really horrible cancer but she's young and hopefully they've caught it early enough...
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 13 Mar 2014, 3:07 pm

If caught early with chemo and drugs, it can be controlled.

The five-year relative survival rate (the percentage of patients who survive at least five years after the cancer is detected, excluding those who die from other diseases) for people diagnosed with early-stage cholangiocarcinoma is about 30%. However, only about 20% of cholangiocarcinoma is found at an early stage. The five-year relative survival rate decreases if cancer has spread at the time of diagnosis.

Not a very good prognosis.

Fingers Crossed to Elena.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Thu 13 Mar 2014, 3:33 pm

This is awful news. Fingers crossed that everything that can go her way does so over the months and years to come.

There's been talk of Queens hosting an event similar to the one held for Ross Hutchins last year; different type of cancer, but it'd be a good gesture and would raise awareness/provide support. I hope it goes ahead.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 13 Mar 2014, 7:34 pm

That is unlucky as primary liver cancer is unbelievably uncommon in the Western world. Therefore, I sincerely hope it is not secondary. All the best to Elena, terrible news.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 13 Mar 2014, 7:35 pm

It's far far more common with the condition she already has though, 15% of people with PSC get a bile-duct cancer
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down