The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Scotland 'I give up' Thread

+30
MacKnocked-on
Totalflanker
Anglobraveheart
aqualung71
TheMildlyFranticLlama
IanBru
alive555
Lowlandbrit
Rory_Gallagher
VinceWLB
GunsGerms
Alex_Germany
Notch
Brendan
glamorganalun
funnyExiledScot
21st Century Schizoid Man
George Carlin
Scratch
tigertattie
beshocked
RuggerRadge2611
thebandwagonsociety
jimbopip
cakeordeath
Nachos Jones
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
rodders
R!skysports
34 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Scotland 'I give up' Thread Empty The Scotland 'I give up' Thread

Post by R!skysports Mon 10 Mar 2014, 3:28 pm

As a few of us Scots are coming to the end of our tether, and ability to be able to raise the energy levels to watch the continued garbage that we once called Scottish Rugby, I thought I would create a new thread - so that I, and my disillusioned' friends do not de-rail the other threads

My summation of how i feel now is - Dead inside

some of my musings below (picked for recent threads)

"In reality - who cares about this match now

I have lost all faith and energy and will be playing golf instead

At least when I stuff up a shot, I know I can only blame myself

It is just too depressing being a Scotland fan, and I am fed but wasting my time watching this rubbish every week"

and in response to people who think we played well against France....

"Sorry I do not actually think we did play that well at all. We may have had 20 mins of ok play - but this was a French team that a bunch of boy scouts, with a single proficiency badge in canoeing could have beaten

We had two scores and one other try scoring position - but that is all - the rest of the time we did what we always do and have done for 10 years - lots of possession, running across the park, making little dent in the 22

The second half was a joke. Even after the interception, I can not stand how easily we give up - THEY ARE Fing PROFESSIONALS and if any one I played gave up like that they would be dropped

So in Summary

We did not play well
The opposition were a joke (running into each other)
We STILL COULD NOT WIN
and we gave up

Why should I waste my valuable (in my eyes) time, ?

PS I am not even angry any more - just accepting that we are c r a p and have not progressed in 10 years (We can keep deluding ourselves that we have but the results do not lie) - and that is what really means this is becoming a waste of my time - I have no passion left for it"

Anyone else feel free to vent, tell stories of what we once had, share experiences  - this is a support group

My Name is RiskySports - I am 2 days clean of caring about Scotland rugby

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

The Scotland 'I give up' Thread Empty Re: The Scotland 'I give up' Thread

Post by rodders Mon 10 Mar 2014, 3:32 pm

If its any consolation I thought you were rubbish against France as well.

Sorry.

:Guinness:
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 10 Mar 2014, 4:05 pm

Scottish national trait - always seeing the bright side in everything, or accepting mediocrity in desperation to find something positive to cling on to

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Mon 10 Mar 2014, 4:14 pm

Scotland have decent players but have not had a very good coaching setup for some time now. Even as an Irishman I have been frustrated at watching Scotland play.

Someone like Eddie O'Sullivan might actually be the solution to you backs coaching problem. He did a fantastic job in getting Irelands backs up to proper quality.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Mon 10 Mar 2014, 4:14 pm

I met Al Strokosh in the gym on Saturday afternoon. So the day wasn't a complete write off.

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 10 Mar 2014, 4:18 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Scottish national trait - always seeing the bright side in everything, or accepting mediocrity in desperation to find something positive to cling on to
If that's the national trait we're not very good at it are we? But I suppose it could be worse, it's quite positive if you look at it that way.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Mon 10 Mar 2014, 4:20 pm

It's strange. The way Scotland is set up I'd actually think that the Glasgow side that came to Dublin during the 6Ns to play Leinster in the Rabo could push and indeed beat the current Scotland XV especially if they continued the non-existent tactics and approach they seem to have taken so far.

I'd wonder if Cotter might consider trying to buy himself out of that contract. I'd worry for him how he can honestly take that job on and believe it can end in any half decent way that he gets back in at a head coach level of a Top14 or Super Rugby side. There is definitely no way he can turn around Scotland enough for NZ to consider him as a viable option for the dream ticket.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 10 Mar 2014, 4:22 pm

Nachos Jones wrote:Scotland have decent players but have not had a very good coaching setup for some time now. Even as an Irishman I have been frustrated at watching Scotland play.

Someone like Eddie O'Sullivan might actually be the solution to you backs coaching problem. He did a fantastic job in getting Irelands backs up to proper quality.

Hopefully Cotter can come in and make a difference. He can't change the guys we have but hopefully he can make decisive judgements on who can and can't cut it at this level.

at the very worst make us a bit mean and nasty like Clermont.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 10 Mar 2014, 4:24 pm

The positives you should take from the 6 nations are that you have scored some good tries. Particularly the two vs Italy. That game vs Italy was an exciting one.

I also think you were poor vs France but you created plenty of opportunities - missed kicks and that interception were the difference in the end.

Things can only get better with Cotter in charge. Vern Cotter is a much superior coach to Johnson.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 10 Mar 2014, 4:33 pm

beshocked wrote:The positives you should take from the 6 nations are that you have scored some good tries. Particularly the two vs Italy. That game vs Italy was an exciting one.

I also think you were poor vs France but you created plenty of opportunities - missed kicks and that interception were the difference in the end.

Things can only get better with Cotter in charge. Vern Cotter is a much superior coach to Johnson.

agreed,

Cotter is to Johnson what a Tyranosaurus Rex is to a Guinea Pig.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 10 Mar 2014, 4:45 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
beshocked wrote:The positives you should take from the 6 nations are that you have scored some good tries. Particularly the two vs Italy. That game vs Italy was an exciting one.

agreed,

Cotter is to Johnson what a Tyranosaurus Rex is to a Guinea Pig.
One is extinct and my kids have got two of the others as pets?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 10 Mar 2014, 4:59 pm

I'll know to buy you a pint of bitter should our paths ever cross Asbo  Wink 
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 10 Mar 2014, 5:01 pm

I'm hoping Cotter is the answer.

New coach. New tactics. New sense of pride/effort/finger out he bum hole from the players

I really think Johnson has lost the locker room. I know we say the boys should play for the jersey but i think Johnson really has put an utter downer on everyone.

If Cotter can get our mental toughness sorted out then I'm hoping we can bounce onto bigger and better things.

Give Cotter the summer and AIs and then I'd be looking at being competitive in the next 6ns (I'm not saying finish 2nd, I'm saying come away from every game thinking we did good, we just got beaten by the better team) I'd be expecting to win at home against Wales and Italy and have a close game against Ireland. England will still be too strong at twickers but we should at least put in a good showing. Not gonna even contemplate France in Paris because France are just all over the place.

Good 6ns and we should be seeing our way into the Q/F of the world cup. That should be our realistic target. S/F of the world cup being our stretched target.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon 10 Mar 2014, 5:16 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:I'll know to buy you a pint of bitter should our paths ever cross Asbo  Wink 

Is he not bitter enough  kiss 

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Tue 11 Mar 2014, 4:24 am

It's an improvement on the last 10 minutes v Wales in 2010. The maggots seem happy too.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Tue 11 Mar 2014, 1:59 pm

Scratch wrote:It's an improvement on the last 10 minutes v Wales in 2010. The maggots seem happy too.

But then we 'garliced' them....

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 11 Mar 2014, 2:22 pm

I feel the OPs pain, but obviously we will never stop following and supporting the team. It's like Stockholm Syndrome - you become dependant on your abuser.

Cotter will make a difference. He's too good a coach not to and I believe if he brings his backroom staff with him, the players will respond well. Still believe that Scotland are only a good team selection, a 90% fit squad and a boot up the crevice away from being a very good team.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Tue 11 Mar 2014, 2:27 pm

(will never really stop supporting - but will record it so I can fast forward the rubbish after finished golf)

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue 11 Mar 2014, 5:23 pm

The money I have invested in watching years and years of pure s hite at Murrayfield is unbelievable.   So I am giving up on this meaningless crap match (v Wales) too.  Normally  for an away game we are not attending at this time of the week there is some interest in selecting our viewing arena.   Not this time - not one phone call /e mail /text to say "lets go here or there " (usually the local (WE) rugby club).   Not a thing for this bar one e mail to say giving it a miss to re -grout the shower ! Says it all really.
I was going to start a thread to say the SRU are trying their level best to ruin rugby in Scotland for ever with years and years of mal-administration and pish poor management but I can't even be arsed to do that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Tue 11 Mar 2014, 5:26 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:The money I have invested in watching years and years of pure s hite at Murrayfield is unbelievable.   So I am giving up on this meaningless crap match (v Wales) too.  Normally  for an away game we are not attending at this time of the week there is some interest in selecting our viewing arena.   Not this time - not one phone call /e mail /text to say "lets go here or there " (usually the local (WE) rugby club).   Not a thing for this bar one e mail to say giving it a miss to re -grout the shower ! Says it all really.
I was going to start a thread to say the SRU are trying their level best to ruin rugby in Scotland for ever with years and years of mal-administration and pish poor management but I can't even be arsed to do that.

Don't worry, the WRU will do it in Wales first, perhaps not by Saturday but i am optimistic that with in the next 15 years there will be little or no club rugby left in Wales

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 11 Mar 2014, 5:36 pm

George Carlin wrote:I feel the OPs pain, but obviously we will never stop following and supporting the team. It's like Stockholm Syndrome - you become dependant on your abuser.

Cotter will make a difference. He's too good a coach not to and I believe if he brings his backroom staff with him, the players will respond well. Still believe that Scotland are only a good team selection, a 90% fit squad and a boot up the crevice away from being a very good team.

Agree. As an Edinburgh fan I can testify to the difference moving from a completely useless coaching regime to a competent one can make. Also remember what happened when Matt Williams was replaced with Frank Hadden.

There is no questionning Cotter's pedigree as an excellent coach, and assuming he's allowed to revamp his back room staff as he sees fit, we will see improvements.

This is not a bad group of players, but they are poorly coached, under prepared in comparison to their rivals and horribly selected by Scott Johnson. The comparison between Johnson on the one hand and Schmidt, Lancaster and Gatland on the other is horrible.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Wed 12 Mar 2014, 11:00 pm

Jim Telfer still believes Scotland will win, he does say this every year, makes me wonder why he ever managed to get on Lions tours maybe his wishfull thinking?

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Sat 15 Mar 2014, 9:21 pm

Well that was the best decision I made, sun golf and beer

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Sat 15 Mar 2014, 9:42 pm

To be fair the two clubs are on the up and Edinburgh actually look like they could be a force in the Rabo next year. They did take a tanking today but same happened to France after Wales got a beating.

There will be about 12-15 games before the World Cup which is plenty

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 15 Mar 2014, 9:44 pm

Ireland finished 5th last year and we were down in dumps, only won one game and our coach was widely regarded as a buck eejit, then a new Kiwi coach came and revitalised the team so maybe..?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Fri 27 Feb 2015, 4:15 pm

lol - found this rant from last year - lets see if I feel the same after this 6 nations

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 27 Feb 2015, 4:28 pm

Riskysports wrote:lol - found this rant from last year - lets see if I feel the same after this 6 nations

depends on how much we spank the Azzuri by tomorrow and then if we can beat "them who must not be named" and the clover eating brigade!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex_Germany Fri 27 Feb 2015, 4:43 pm

Everyone can see that Scotland is vastly better, and is going to trouble all the other sides.

That said, Scotland could still end up with one win and four defeats. Same as previous years. How will you feel then?

Scotland's best chance to win (other than against Italy) was a fortnight ago. Unfortunately, they didn't quite make it.

Alex_Germany

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 27 Feb 2015, 4:57 pm

Made for tough reading the OP. Glad Ireland arent the whipping boys any more. It was a tough being a teenage Ireland fan. Scotland will turn it around......some day.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex_Germany Fri 27 Feb 2015, 5:10 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Made for tough reading the OP. Glad Ireland arent the whipping boys any more. It was a tough being a teenage Ireland fan. Scotland will turn it around......some day.

Maybe they'll get to beat the World Champions at Murrayfield in 2016. I could live with that. Wink

Alex_Germany

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Fri 27 Feb 2015, 5:14 pm

Brendan wrote:To be fair the two clubs are on the up and Edinburgh actually look like they could be a force in the Rabo next year.  They did take a tanking today but same happened to France after Wales got a beating.

There will be about 12-15 games before the World Cup which is plenty

Oopss Shocked

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 28 Feb 2015, 4:19 pm

It's coming home, it's coming home, it's coming. The spoon is coming home.......
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Sat 28 Feb 2015, 4:23 pm

What an fing disgrace. We are totally useless.

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Sat 28 Feb 2015, 4:24 pm

We played today with three centres and no fly-half. Swinson and Horne were a massive step down. I think Kellock may have been a better option than swinson. Clancy is an arsewipe but we can't blame him for putting ourselves in that position.

I am very quickly building an enormous dislike for tommaso Allan

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sat 28 Feb 2015, 4:27 pm

I didn't want to see Swinson in a Scotland shirt ever again after his cameo against France last year, didn't do much better this time.

Grant and Horne don't cut it at this level.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 28 Feb 2015, 4:33 pm

With players like Hogg, Seymour, the Gray brothers, Bennett, Harley etc.. Scotland will start to peak in the next few years to come. It looks bad now, but those players are a very talented bunch to build a team around.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Sat 28 Feb 2015, 4:39 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:It looks bad now, but those players are a very talented bunch to build a team around.
Said people about every Scotland team since the Six Nations started...

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 28 Feb 2015, 4:50 pm

Lowlandbrit wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:It looks bad now, but those players are a very talented bunch to build a team around.
Said people about every Scotland team since the Six Nations started...

Have they? I don't think they have had as talented a back line as this in years. I really can't remember players of the same quality as Hogg/Seymour/Bennett. Rory Lamont possibly, which was years ago. They need to get a consistent halfback pairing that works of course for the back line to fire properly.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Sat 28 Feb 2015, 4:51 pm

I actually thought horne played well. Go figure

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 28 Feb 2015, 4:52 pm

What I do remember of Scotland was Nick De Luca, Dan Parks, Sean Lamont at 13, Chris Patterson (reliable and solid player, but not exactly the brightest spark in attack) and similar players of that ilk.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Sat 28 Feb 2015, 4:56 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:What I do remember of Scotland was Nick De Luca, Dan Parks, Sean Lamont at 13, Chris Patterson (reliable and solid player, but not exactly the brightest spark in attack) and similar players of that ilk.

they are clearly every bit as good as the current mob picard

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 28 Feb 2015, 4:57 pm

Where were the positives from today? I think only Blair Cowan had a decent game.

Hogg. Aimless kicks to an Italian. When he ran with the ball he ran across the pitch. He was greedy and didn't look to pass.
Seymour. Didn't do anything
Lamont. Didn't do anything
Bennett. Was gifted a try. Did little else
Dunbar. Solid but unspectacular
Horne. Away sit on the Glasgow bench again. Awful game
Laidlaw. Slow. No leadership.
Beattie. Anonymous
Harley. Didn't notice him apart from when favaro smashed him
Swinson. Too lightweight
Grey. Quiet game.
Murray. Got mashed in the scrum
Ford Did nothing
Dickenson. Ineffective

Subs
Toolis. Got yellowed
Watson. See above
Scott. Where has your talent gone?
Brown. Threw squint.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Sat 28 Feb 2015, 5:05 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Have they? I don't think they have had as talented a back line as this in years.
Obviously it goes up and down, but it does seem like they've spent the last 15 years trying to turn the corner. Every year there's a few promising youngsters or a new coach for people to get excited about, but it always fizzles out in the end.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Sat 28 Feb 2015, 5:11 pm

To be honest, until the 78th minute I was really happy with Horne's play. He attacked the line well, distributed when it was on, and defended his channel more than adequately.

The real problem lies with Laidlaw, as it has done for the last two matches. His service is slower than the queue at an Easterhouse health clinic, and he lacks the pace and vision to make incisive breaks himself. Everything Glasgow do well in attack is predicated on quick ball, denying the defensive line the opportunity to reset. With Laidlaw on the pitch, we simply haven't a prayer of playing to our potential.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Sat 28 Feb 2015, 5:25 pm

I agree, a lot of players did a lot wrong today, but Laidlaw really is all mouth and no trousers at the moment. And not even enough mouth at that. He is holding us back. Though clearly he wasn't given much help by his teammates today

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by aqualung71 Sat 28 Feb 2015, 5:28 pm

Riskysports wrote:As a few of us Scots are coming to the end of our tether, and ability to be able to raise the energy levels to watch the continued garbage that we once called Scottish Rugby, I thought I would create a new thread - so that I, and my disillusioned' friends do not de-rail the other threads

It is just too depressing being a Scotland fan, and I am fed but wasting my time watching this rubbish every week"

"Sorry I do not actually think we did play that well at all. We may have had 20 mins of ok play - but this was a French team that a bunch of boy scouts, with a single proficiency badge in canoeing could have beaten

We had two scores and one other try scoring position - but that is all - the rest of the time we did what we always do and have done for 10 years - lots of possession, running across the park, making little dent in the 22

The second half was a joke. Even after the interception, I can not stand how easily we give up - THEY ARE Fing PROFESSIONALS and if any one I played gave up like that they would be dropped

So in Summary

We did not play well
We STILL COULD NOT WIN
and we gave up

PS I am not even angry any more - just accepting that we are c r a p and have not progressed in 10 years (We can keep deluding ourselves that we have but the results do not lie) - and that is what really means this is becoming a waste of my time - I have no passion left for it"

Anyone else feel free to vent, tell stories of what we once had, share experiences  - this is a support group

simple, just consider the other team played better and show some grace in defeat. we simply had the upper hand today, and with any other kicker this would have been a no contest today. end of it

aqualung71

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Sat 28 Feb 2015, 5:37 pm

I just pray Cotter doesn't think us a lost cause.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Sat 28 Feb 2015, 5:40 pm

aqualung71 wrote:
Riskysports wrote:As a few of us Scots are coming to the end of our tether, and ability to be able to raise the energy levels to watch the continued garbage that we once called Scottish Rugby, I thought I would create a new thread - so that I, and my disillusioned' friends do not de-rail the other threads

So in Summary

We did not play well
We STILL COULD NOT WIN
and we gave up

simple, just consider the other team played better and show some grace in defeat. we simply had the upper hand today, and with any other kicker this would have been a no contest today. end of it

Note this quote was from a year ago

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Sat 28 Feb 2015, 11:17 pm

Glad I wrote this a year ago - saves me writing it again

Will not be watching next week - will do some gardening or watching paint dry

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Sun 01 Mar 2015, 9:13 am

Risky, the next game is a fortnight away. Dont do all your gardening next weekend, or you'll have no excuse to miss the England game....

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next