The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official RBS Player of the Championship

+42
Portnoy's Complaint
ChequeredJersey
Sgt_Pooly
Chjw131
SecretFly
Exiledinborders
lostinwales
whocares
Poorfour
Engine#4
BlueMuff
Barney McGrew did it
Sin é
Geordie
George Carlin
captain carrantuohil
No 7&1/2
LordDowlais
GloriousEmpire
TJ
bedfordwelsh
HammerofThunor
theslosty
Biltong
nathan
Feckless Rogue
Nachos Jones
Scratch
majesticimperialman
GunsGerms
Knowsit17
daidimview
rodders
Artful_Dodger
fa0019
dummy_half
beshocked
aitchw
The Saint
tigertattie
RuggerRadge2611
Notch
46 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

WHO IS YOUR PLAYER OF THE CHAMPIONSHIP FOR THE 2014 RBS 6 NATIONS?

Official RBS Player of the Championship - Page 4 Vote_lcap65%Official RBS Player of the Championship - Page 4 Vote_rcap 65% 
[ 65 ]
Official RBS Player of the Championship - Page 4 Vote_lcap8%Official RBS Player of the Championship - Page 4 Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 8 ]
Official RBS Player of the Championship - Page 4 Vote_lcap2%Official RBS Player of the Championship - Page 4 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]
Official RBS Player of the Championship - Page 4 Vote_lcap0%Official RBS Player of the Championship - Page 4 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Official RBS Player of the Championship - Page 4 Vote_lcap2%Official RBS Player of the Championship - Page 4 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]
Official RBS Player of the Championship - Page 4 Vote_lcap1%Official RBS Player of the Championship - Page 4 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
Official RBS Player of the Championship - Page 4 Vote_lcap0%Official RBS Player of the Championship - Page 4 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 2 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 2 ]
Official RBS Player of the Championship - Page 4 Vote_lcap1%Official RBS Player of the Championship - Page 4 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
Official RBS Player of the Championship - Page 4 Vote_lcap8%Official RBS Player of the Championship - Page 4 Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 8 ]
[ 8 ]
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 100

Official RBS Player of the Championship - Page 4 Empty Official RBS Player of the Championship

Post by Notch Mon 17 Mar 2014, 12:24 pm

First topic message reminder :

So the official shortlist has been released and its a public vote, which will close on Wednesday night. Presumably with the winner being announced later in the week. The question is, will BODs adoring public vote him player of the tournament despite not even being the best Irish player this year out of those on the list? I will add a poll to this with the nominees so 606v2 can vote their player of the Six Nations.

http://www.rbs6nations.com/RBSPlayerOfTheChampionship

Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Official RBS Player of the Championship - Page 4 Empty Re: Official RBS Player of the Championship

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 21 Mar 2014, 3:33 pm

SecretFly wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:Don't really care who, it's about why.

Like I said, it's not about him being in the list of nominees, and if he'd been Ireland's best player then ok, but there were 2 or 3 players in his own team that performed better overall in the Championships therefore sentimentality must be swaying the votes away from logic.

.....or swaying your logic away from seeing that he was in the team for much more than sentiment. Watch him through the series of games...not just the Italy game with the bits that casual observers of rugby look for when classing what 'performance' does.

The snarl of bitterness stretches long after him through his history.  But he's used to it by now.  
Why not simply enjoy that Brown got top?

So you think BOD has been better and his performances more deserving of winning the award than Sexton or Trimble??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Official RBS Player of the Championship - Page 4 Empty Re: Official RBS Player of the Championship

Post by SecretFly Fri 21 Mar 2014, 3:48 pm

I say people vote for what they see and BOD wasn't any hanger on on that side. His own coach said that without him, they wouldn't have won. Not 'might not have won' - 'wouldn't have won'.

You look for the flash stuff that gets the camera's attention (all good stuff to be sure), others will look for the dirty stuff, the hard grind, the influence that gave a side a Championship.

Another example - most English people seem satisfied that Brown (the visible powerhouse) got the title. Me, I'd easily pick Care as my top English player. It was his tempo that allowed his team mates to shine. He was the main influence in that team for me.

But I'm only one person - and I only see what I see. And had I voted, I'd have voted for only one man - Care.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 21 Mar 2014, 3:52 pm

Care is a fine pick, Trimble fine, sexton fine, brown fine,

Yes if bod wasn't there you wouldnt have won-The win was so marginal that just one avergae player not there could have made the difference. But if trimble and sexton wasnt you may have had the wooden spoon mate

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 21 Mar 2014, 3:52 pm

Have never said he wasn't deserving of a nomination, he had a very good tourney. There's just no justification for placing him ahead of his better performing compatriots (thus stripping out nationality bias and the effect of winning the 6N) other than misty-eyed sentimentality.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 21 Mar 2014, 4:10 pm

Can't believe Brown picked up the award over BOD. Some cheating going on, methinks!  mad 

The fact that voters could vote more than once might have had something to do with it. Hmmmm?

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 21 Mar 2014, 4:11 pm

Like I said before, TopHat.  People see what they see.

In 2009 BOD was top try scorer in the Six Nations and he won a Grand Slam virtually carrying his side on his back.  He also was top try scorer in the HEC that same year and won that competition too.
International Player of the Year in 2009 was a guy who only had a half season due to injury and didn't do a whole hell of a lot, by his own admission, with that season.  No it's wasn't BOD Wink

People see what they see and vote accordingly - votes are what wins Player of the Tournament, not geeks looking up stats to make sure they're voting correctly.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Fri 21 Mar 2014, 4:21 pm

Can someone tell me where I can see the results?

I looked at the official site, but it's not immediately apparent after following what I thought were the obvious links including the bleedin' obvious http://www.rbs6nations.com/RBSPlayerOfTheChampionship .

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 21 Mar 2014, 4:27 pm

SecretFly wrote:I say people vote for what they see and BOD wasn't any hanger on on that side.  His own coach said that without him, they wouldn't have won.  Not 'might not have won' - 'wouldn't have won'.

You look for the flash stuff that gets the camera's attention (all good stuff to be sure), others will look for the dirty stuff, the hard grind, the influence that gave a side a Championship.

Another example - most English people seem satisfied that Brown (the visible powerhouse) got the title.  Me, I'd easily pick Care as my top English player.  It was his tempo that allowed his team mates to shine.  He was the main influence in that team for me.

But I'm only one person - and I only see what I see.  And had I voted, I'd have voted for only one man - Care.

I broadly agree with you and I have already said that for all Brown's brilliance this year we could manage better without him than without Care. But part of that is down to the positions they play in.

Put it another way though. What more could Brown do to win the award?

As ever teams win games rather than individuals.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 21 Mar 2014, 4:29 pm

SecretFly wrote:Like I said before, TopHat.  People see what they see.

In 2009 BOD was top try scorer in the Six Nations and he won a Grand Slam virtually carrying his side on his back.  

And he won the player of the tourney award accordingly Wink

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Fri 21 Mar 2014, 4:29 pm

Happy that Brown won but very odd that Courtney Lawes is not even in the list of options.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 21 Mar 2014, 4:33 pm

I'm fine with Brown...a fine, fine run as 15.  Exciting rugby that helped bring the tournament alive, certainly when the top sides clashed.

But just personally for me I think Care is the forgotten gearbox on the English team.  He's the guy I'd fear in future games v Ireland.  Moreso than Brown or any other player.

I dread high class opposition 9s.  I just think they are such a dangerous component in a good side.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Fri 21 Mar 2014, 4:34 pm

I wonder how Ukraine will get on in the Eurovision Song Contest this year.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 21 Mar 2014, 4:41 pm

Well they can scrap the notion of Douze Points from Russia I guess - unless of course they are Russia by then which means that would be illegal anyway to vote for yourself.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 21 Mar 2014, 4:41 pm

Wonder if there'll be such a thing as Ukraine by the time Eurovision rolls around.....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Fri 21 Mar 2014, 5:19 pm

Exiledinborders wrote:Happy that Brown won but very odd that Courtney Lawes is not even in the list of options.

Brown deserved it for his overall performances I feel. BOD had some good showings but for my money, didn't have the consistently outstanding performances of Brown.

I actually can't believe neither Courtney Lawes nor Joe Launchbury made it onto that list. Both were outstanding individually as well as a unit. Didn't Launchbury top the turnover list?

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri 21 Mar 2014, 6:01 pm

Thank god sense prevailed and BOD didn't win!

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Fri 21 Mar 2014, 6:05 pm

If only those 'lists' were compiled on indisputable facts, Chewy.

Smoke, mirrors and faux science, I'm afraid.

Votes like this are nowt more than a cattle market beauty contest.

I'd have gone for either Launchbury, POC or Dulin.

68.5k votes (I'm guessing on the rounding).
Brown 23.3k
BOD 19.2k
The field 26k.

It's a coalition.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 21 Mar 2014, 6:10 pm

Munchkin wrote:Can't believe Brown picked up the award over BOD. Some cheating going on, methinks!  mad 

The fact that voters could vote more than once might have had something to do with it. Hmmmm?

Laugh

Fantastic post. Genius in its simplicity
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 21 Mar 2014, 6:11 pm

Portnoy's Complaint wrote:I wonder how Ukraine will get on in the Eurovision Song Contest this year.

aye i hear ya lad... This is all a bit x factor. Should have been a player vote

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Fri 21 Mar 2014, 6:14 pm

The very concept of a simplistic genius beggars belief.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 21 Mar 2014, 6:38 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:
Munchkin wrote:Can't believe Brown picked up the award over BOD. Some cheating going on, methinks!  mad 

Laugh

Why thank you, kind sir  Very Happy 

Glad to see Trimble get to third place at least. My 20 or more votes must have helped  angel 

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 21 Mar 2014, 6:53 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:

Laugh

If anyone took the bait i would agree- but there is no one biting!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Fri 21 Mar 2014, 7:00 pm

I wonder why the beeb are reporting he got 34 percent of the vote?

He won that's all that matters.

Well done Mike Brown, good to see the best player in the 6 nations getting it.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 21 Mar 2014, 7:05 pm

Scrumpy wrote:I wonder why the beeb are reporting he got 34 percent of the vote?

He won that's all that matters.

Well done Mike Brown, good to see the best player in the 6 nations getting it.
They really should be using the official figures (606v2) where he got 65%. I think that's more accurate.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 21 Mar 2014, 7:35 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:

Laugh

If anyone took the bait i would agree- but there is no one biting!!

Shut up  mad 

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 24 Mar 2014, 9:27 am

Scrumpy wrote:I wonder why the beeb are reporting he got 34 percent of the vote?

Headscratch 

23.3/68.5=34% ??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4