The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

David Price - Should he just try to win the lottery ?

+3
88Chris05
hampo17
TRUSSMAN66
7 posters

Go down

David Price - Should he just try to win the lottery ? Empty David Price - Should he just try to win the lottery ?

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 20 Mar 2014, 12:32 pm

What's the point in this guy fighting stiffs to try to improve a tarnished image ??..His stock is too low!!

Chisora, Fury, Joshua are the news and no one believes or is interested in the giant bust that is Price..

BUT...He is 6'8 and he carries a wallop and Wlad has a dodgy chin..

It's too late for Price to redeem himself with journeymen...But he could win the lottery and change everything...

Should Price put all his eggs in one basket and go for broke ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

David Price - Should he just try to win the lottery ? Empty Re: David Price - Should he just try to win the lottery ?

Post by hampo17 Thu 20 Mar 2014, 12:35 pm

Price is rebuilding away from the casuals fans attention, something that he should have done in the first place. With the right hand he always stands a chance, but he needs to learn how to control his nerves.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

David Price - Should he just try to win the lottery ? Empty Re: David Price - Should he just try to win the lottery ?

Post by Guest Thu 20 Mar 2014, 12:40 pm

Doubtful Price will get big money fighting Wlad at this stage and another high profile loss effectively ends his career. Could he pick up a similar amount of dosh fighting mediocrity without to much risk whilst climbing the rankings and securing a few more quid before it all comes crashing down around him?

The bigger question is what is it that sets Price aside from the rest of the guys looking to secure a shot at Wlad? Young big lad with a punch but questionable punch resistance? There's any number of those about. Quiet respectful lad vs thuggish gobshytes? Depends what Wlad wants suppose as the German fans don't necessarily care who their man faces.

The biggest thing Price has going for him is that fighting in Germany, he's a known quantity to the German audiences but will his promoters want to put him in with Wlad?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 20 Mar 2014, 12:44 pm

People would forgive a loss to Wlad....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 20 Mar 2014, 12:57 pm

Yeah, people would forgive a loss to Wlad, but I think they'd also think, "why?" when they reflect upon Price's new team letting him take another stoppage loss at this stage of his career, which is what it'd almost certainly be if recent form is anything to go on.

At the age of 30, which isn't too old for a Heavy, Sauerland and Price can still play the long game, make him enough money from the sport to be comfortable after he hangs the gloves up and still conceivably win a world title at some stage. Throw him in there with Wlad now and, barring a minor miracle, all of that is out the window, largely because I think it would just completely shatter Price from a mental perspective.

What Price has been doing so far fell badly short two times over against Thompson, so God only knows how his mindset would be climbing through the ropes to face the best Heavy in the world - he'd be a beaten man before a punch was thrown. The next eighteen months need to be spent tweaking Price's style and building up that belief and focus again, because as Thompson showed in the rematch, that focus and nerve just doesn't seem there when the going gets tough right now.

The puncher always has a shot, but chancing his arm on that old chestnut against Wlad right now would just be a needless and pointless way to completely write off a career which can still be salvaged, for me.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 20 Mar 2014, 1:00 pm

Some merit in the argument truss. Whether its nerves or natural stamina, he doesn't look like a guy who's ever going 12 rounds successfully.

Might as well try and get a few dough earning bigger fights where he has a decent punchers chance... And if/when it goes pear shaped he can get a new career with a few quid in the bank. Never happens that way though does it.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 20 Mar 2014, 1:08 pm

Milky he's as good as finished now...He lost tragically to Thompson twice....Don't you think ??

He's as good as he'll ever be and he's knocking on..

Why tread water...Go for the big one..maybe he'll land the right..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 20 Mar 2014, 1:21 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:People would forgive a loss to Wlad....
Not if he freezes a la Audley/Haye and at this moment in time there's nothing to suggest Price has passed any major gut checks in order to justify putting him in with Wlad

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 20 Mar 2014, 1:24 pm

Price has never froze...It's just he can't relax...

Had the beating of Tomo twice.....Which gives him a window of three rounds to catch Wlad..

Like Bruno he is what he is..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 20 Mar 2014, 1:34 pm

Frozen/Can't relax...it's pretty much the same thing when you end up a study in inertia. Anyway, if the occasion gets to him and he capitulates by freezing or working himself up into such an agitated state that he blows his load early doors (which he essentially did against Thompson in the rematch) then people are going to ask why a bloke with such obvious issues is being put into the biggest fight of his life.

He need to come through though tough moments in a fight to have any chance of convincing people that there's any point in watching.

Big punch be damned, say he beats Wlad and hasn't addressed the confidence issue, do we really want him being beaten by Chisora or Fury?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 20 Mar 2014, 1:43 pm

Think you under estimate how his stock would rise beating Wlad..

Forget Fury/chis...It will be HBO and America like Lewis.

Freezing and relaxing aren't the same thing..

price didn't crap himself against Thomson...He was performing well until he gassed

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 20 Mar 2014, 1:50 pm

The nerves still do for Price, the fact he gets so wound up he expends too much nervous energy is no less debilitating than freezing. Until he masters that, he's going nowhere.

If you put price in front of 50,000 people and the HW champ of the World, the occasion will cripple him. he'll probably gas on the ring walk such is his inability to control himself.

I find it cruelly ironic though as, outside the ring, he comes across as the most placid fellow you could wish to meet. He's also a massive Liverpool fan so I'm predisposed to wanting him to do well but I'm not convinced as being hidden away in Germany, there's little opportunity to see whether or not he's getting himself back on track.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 20 Mar 2014, 1:54 pm

Why don't you just admit that Price has never froze and for once in your life cut the bollox..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 20 Mar 2014, 2:03 pm

Why don't you just cut the sh!t and stop trying to convince folk that in his current state Price stands a chance against Wlad or anyone remotely competent?

I've never said he's frozen, I suggested that people wouldn't forgive him for losing to Wlad if he froze LIKE AUDLEY DID AGAINST HAYE. No suggestion of him ever freezing, I just said that the nerves get to him and render him as useless as the guys who do freeze.

Not sure what's wrong with you lad (I have a f*****g good idea though) but just settle the f**k down.

Last edited by DAVE667 on Thu 20 Mar 2014, 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Thu 20 Mar 2014, 2:04 pm

DAVE667 wrote:he gets so wound up he expends too much nervous energy

This is exactly how I see it. I don't think his fitness levels have all that much to do with him gassing so badly, as much as how he can't control any adrenaline dumps.

He wouldn't actually get the Wlad fight unless he builds up with some more wins, but I don't think it would be a bad strategy to go for broke if he could. His size, power, and decent technique could really trouble Wlad in the early rounds. Ultimately, I think Wlad is better than Price at the whole jab and one-two from distance game, plus being vastly more experienced. Price doesn't seem to be able to cope well with the deep waters.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 20 Mar 2014, 2:14 pm

Never said he stood much of a chance...

He has a slim chance and few other options...

Read the thread..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 20 Mar 2014, 2:17 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Never said he stood much of a chance...

He has a slim chance and few other options...

Read the thread..
and I never said you said he stood MUCH of a chance either...if you could be bothered to read the reply...in fact, forget it. Why don't you go and read the magazines hidden in your grandfather clock and stop wasting everyone else's time on here by talking bo!!ocks

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 20 Mar 2014, 2:21 pm

DVDs in the grandfather clock..

Got that wrong too...Keep me in context is the bottom line..

But thanks for your opinion...For what it's worth..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 20 Mar 2014, 2:22 pm

If "context" is code for "concrete and dumped in the canal" then OK

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 20 Mar 2014, 2:23 pm

I knew you couldn't leave it !!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 20 Mar 2014, 2:27 pm

Shame you can't either but it's what I've come to expect from you

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 20 Mar 2014, 2:43 pm

The main problem for Price is time...If he takes it then he falls behind probably both Fury's and Joshua...

He has to pee or get off the pot

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 20 Mar 2014, 2:47 pm

If he rushes he risks getting a beating so severe it ruins whatever good work may have been done whilst he's in Germany

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 20 Mar 2014, 3:02 pm

But where else can he go ???..

He's a huge underdog against any of top 8..In less meaningful fights..

So go for the big one with all the spoils at stake..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 20 Mar 2014, 3:30 pm

He's as well sticking to building up slowly and looking for a shot when Wlad goes. Can't see Fury or anyone else being around very long if/when they grab a belt and all those are a much easier proposition that facing Wlad.

Price needs to get himself in the mix to face Wlad and he's not likely to do that facing the level of opposition he currently feasts on yet stepping him up again too early (without sorting out the nerves/stamina issues) will result in him going back to square one.

All depends wheat Price wants out of his career. If it's a pay day then good luck to him, but if he wants something more meaningful then he needs to tread carefully. He lacks the ego/arrogance to comeback from another high profile defeat (if he did he wouldn't have based himself in Germany) so it looks to me like they are playing the long game with him.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 20 Mar 2014, 3:48 pm

Well reasoned response...Some interesting points....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 20 Mar 2014, 5:53 pm

I think Price would soil himself in the dressing room if he had to fight Klitschko. Hes not that old as the crap heavyweights go these days. Plenty of challengers have been in their mid thirties. I wouldnt like to see him rushed into a Klitschko fight but Im not overly bothered watching him fight stiffs either. He could be part of a fun domestic scene with Chisora, Fury and in a couple of years the younger Fury and Joshua. Hes good value to watch so hopefully he gets put in some good matches.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kurt Ward Fri 21 Mar 2014, 10:13 pm

He's just not very good. Big lump, can punch very hard but has so many flaws that I really can't see him beyond Euro level, at best. When he steps up again I expect him to be beaten. It's a shame because he seems a really nice guy outside the ring.

Kurt Ward

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down