The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fighters selling tickets

+2
hampo17
Elpondo
6 posters

Go down

Fighters selling tickets Empty Fighters selling tickets

Post by Elpondo Tue 25 Mar 2014, 7:56 pm

Mickey Helliet tweeted this today "@Mickey_Helliet: cover but asking boxers to sell 2.5k of tickets before they earn 1p is ridiculous."

I had always assumed that fighters got a price to fight and then a % of any tickets that they sold. The promotor gets the rest to cover the opponent/venue/marketing/profit etc. it sounds like my assumption was wrong and the (non elite level) guys have to sell a lot of tickets just to break even

Can anyone shed any experience on this?

Elpondo

Back to top Go down

Fighters selling tickets Empty Re: Fighters selling tickets

Post by hampo17 Tue 25 Mar 2014, 8:19 pm

I can imagine the smaller promoters are different and some probably act like Hellet points out.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 25 Mar 2014, 9:32 pm

Each promoter is different - check the thread back and he explains in more detail.

A lot of fighters are paid less than minimum wage in the UK.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Wed 26 Mar 2014, 10:15 am

From the promoters perspective this just makes sense.

Why pay an expensive boxer that brings nothing to the table in terms of money in the gate?

This is similar to promoting club nights, if the DJ's don't bring anyone to the party but want 1k for an hour of playing records you will soon be out of business as a promoter. Had the experience of DJ's just wanted money to turn up and get paid (as well as a guest list of 20-30 people!). Until your name is enough to draw a crowd you have to understand the promoter has to make money to put on more events.

At the end of the day everyone is a salesman, whether they are selling themselves as potential partners to the opposite (or same) sex or if they are trying to get a job.

See nothing wrong with this in principle but having to sell 2.5k tickets before you see any money for yourself does seem a little harsh, sounds like these guys are a lot harder on their people than I was on mine.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 26 Mar 2014, 1:30 pm

I can't see where this 2.5k figure comes from. Even Britains most popular undercard ticket sellers only do 1k + sales.

Depends where you are at really. If you start from rock bottom, you earn peanuts really. You might be lucky to sign with someone who provides you with a fight fee, others are paid by the amount of tickets they sell.

Thats why I like the concept of Prizefighter when it was first announced as it gave the small hall fighter a chance of the big stage and if they made an impression or even win it, the prize money plus exposure can open doors, get you signed up to a big promotor so you can quit your PT job and concentrate fully on boxing.

I think Prizefighter lost its way when the A-Frace's, Witters etc became involved. I hope Hearn has acknowledged this and will continue to use Prizefighter as an opportunity for the small hall fighter to get there foot in the door, rather then to respark careers of ex World and Euro champs who in reality will never get back to the top.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 26 Mar 2014, 1:42 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:I can't see where this 2.5k figure comes from. Even Britains most popular undercard ticket sellers only do 1k + sales.

Depends where you are at really. If you start from rock bottom, you earn peanuts really. You might be lucky to sign with someone who provides you with a fight fee, others are paid by the amount of tickets they sell.

Thats why I like the concept of Prizefighter when it was first announced as it gave the small hall fighter a chance of the big stage and if they made an impression or even win it, the prize money plus exposure can open doors, get you signed up to a big promotor so you can quit your PT job and concentrate fully on boxing.

I think Prizefighter lost its way when the A-Frace's, Witters etc became involved. I hope Hearn has acknowledged this and will continue to use Prizefighter as an opportunity for the small hall fighter to get there foot in the door, rather then to respark careers of ex World and Euro champs who in reality will never get back to the top.

But then we will have certain members of this site not watching Prizefighter anymore as it will just be a bunch of nobodies on it....
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 26 Mar 2014, 2:00 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:
Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:I can't see where this 2.5k figure comes from. Even Britains most popular undercard ticket sellers only do 1k + sales.

But then we will have certain members of this site not watching Prizefighter anymore as it will just be a bunch of nobodies on it....

There the ones I don't watch Laugh

The Prizefighter which Glen Foot won (see I remember his name!) was probably the best I'd seen for competitivness of ALL the fights. And all of the boxers in the lineup I had not seen nor heard of before. There was another boxer in that line up called Chad Gainer (sp) who looked like a decent prospect who I would keep an eye on in the future.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down