The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

disappointing films

+11
NickisBHAFC
Mr Bounce
Rowley
Galted
Hulking_up
The Best in the World
TRUSSMAN66
Adam D
seanmichaels
compelling and rich
jimmyinthewell68
15 posters

Go down

disappointing films  Empty disappointing films

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Thu 03 Apr 2014, 10:32 am

this basically means films you expected to be good and you really wanted them to be and they star your favorite actor   but in  truth you just can't get away of being really  really  disappointed  . man of steel i was saying    yes good film but inside i knew they had gone and f**ked it up .     also years ago excited about   when the earth stood still . what a pile of pants that was

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

disappointing films  Empty Re: disappointing films

Post by compelling and rich Thu 03 Apr 2014, 12:49 pm

when i saw the title man of steel came into my head straight away

all of the new star wars films are right up there as well

one of biggest ones has to be aliens vs predator, you take two of the greatest iconic alien movies out there throw them together and surely your on for a classic, sadly no we got a pile of old tripe instead

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 03 Apr 2014, 1:32 pm

Been a few adaptations of crime novels that I've looked forward to over the years like "Mystic River", "Shutter Island" etc and I've been disappointed in them. I find DiCaprio bland in the extreme and struggle to see exactly what people see in him. He looks like a small child playing at being a grown-up and it's had to take him seriously. Tim Robbins and Sean Penn isn't a cast that sets the heart racing either (although they've both done good things, this partnership didn't work for me).

However the worst for me was "Bloodwork". Reading the book years ago, I got a real feel for the characters and sense of what they looked like but Eastwood completely f**ked that one up and I'll never forgive him...neither will Michael Connelly either (in a subsequent book, one of his characters spots an advert for the new Eastwood film and asks another if he think Clint looks anything like the guy he's supposed to be portraying. His partner just scoffs)

Won't even begin to tell you how many things I think are wrong with Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher.

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 03 Apr 2014, 1:36 pm

Disappointed with Captain Phillips. Not bad but thought it would be better than Under Siege.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 03 Apr 2014, 1:38 pm

Highlander II

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 03 Apr 2014, 1:50 pm

seanmichaels wrote:Disappointed with Captain Phillips. Not bad but thought it would be better than Under Siege.
If it doesn't have a big t!tted woman jumping out of a cake for no reason other than the fact that I like big t!tted women (and cake), then it's never going to be better than Under Siege

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 03 Apr 2014, 2:32 pm

Superman 4............What an atrocity.....

If I'd have given them a week's salary..They would have doubled the budget.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 03 Apr 2014, 2:37 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Superman 4............What an atrocity.....

If I'd have given them a week's salary..They would have doubled the budget.
Thought you worked for tips at the Oyster?

Back to top Go down

Post by The Best in the World Thu 03 Apr 2014, 7:33 pm

not that we expected it too be good, but Jaws 4. not only does it ignore the events of the previous film entirely, but includes some of the worst mistakes known to man. I mean, the shark 'roars' like a lion, despite having no vocal chords!

Michael Caine, who starred in it, has never actually seen it. just goes to show!
The Best in the World
The Best in the World

Back to top Go down

Post by Hulking_up Fri 04 Apr 2014, 8:45 am

The Dark Knight Rises

Hulking_up

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 04 Apr 2014, 8:50 am

Dark Knight, Dark Knight Rises, Memento, Inception, Batman Begins
Sixth Sense
Matrix
Untouchables
Braveheart
Gladiator

I do trot the same names out whenever there's a thread about overhyped films but the above ones were monstrously disappointing given the amount of bullsh*t I'd heard about how incredibly brilliant they were.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 04 Apr 2014, 9:24 am

Any Lord of the Rings film, impressive enough spectacles, but overlong and not sure there was a character in there I gave a flying one about. The Green Mile also left me pretty cold, too mawkish and sentimental for my tastes.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 04 Apr 2014, 9:34 am

Rowley wrote:Any Lord of the Rings film, impressive enough spectacles, but overlong and not sure there was a character in there I gave a flying one about. The Green Mile also left me pretty cold, too mawkish and sentimental for my tastes.

Good call on The Green Mile, was f*cking dreadful. May as well have been animated the characters were so one-dimensional.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri 04 Apr 2014, 9:35 am

Galted wrote:Untouchables
Braveheart
Gladiator

Quality films.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 04 Apr 2014, 9:38 am

seanmichaels wrote:
Galted wrote:Untouchables
Braveheart
Gladiator

Quality films.

None of them were tragically bad (apart the performances by Costner, Connery, Gibson & Crowe) but I'd expect them to masterpieces from all the drivel I heard (& still hear) about them.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Apr 2014, 4:13 pm

Skyfall.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 30 Apr 2014, 10:24 pm

I give you Terminator: Salvation. Crock of shoite.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 02 May 2014, 3:47 pm

MediaCat wrote:Skyfall.  

Agree. Thought it was average at best. Story was a mess in my opinion, overly focused on Dench's demise & Bardem's character wasn't great. I know loads of people who said it was brilliant though, which baffles me.

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Mon 05 May 2014, 6:52 pm

Inbetweeners movie was crap, after how brilliant the series were.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 10 May 2014, 4:39 am

Galted wrote:Dark Knight, Dark Knight Rises, Memento, Inception, Batman Begins
Sixth Sense
Matrix
Untouchables
Braveheart
Gladiator

I do trot the same names out whenever there's a thread about overhyped films but the above ones were monstrously disappointing given the amount of bullsh*t I'd heard about how incredibly brilliant they were.

If you'd be so kind as to remove Inception from that list I'll agree with you...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon 12 May 2014, 7:52 am

alfie wrote:
Galted wrote:Dark Knight, Dark Knight Rises, Memento, Batman Begins
Sixth Sense
Matrix
Untouchables
Braveheart
Gladiator

If you'd be so kind as to remove Inception from that list I'll agree with you...

No problem, alfie, I'm glad to see there's someone else on 606 v2 of similar worldliness and refinement to myself.

move along, alfie, there's nothing to see under this spoiler alert:

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 12 May 2014, 9:41 am

inception for me is probably the worse on the list, nearly all of the others had very little hype to them when i watched them other than dark knight, so i was simply able to enjoy them, which i did.

inception does definitely fall into the massively over hyped category

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Fri 16 May 2014, 10:05 am

Galted wrote:
alfie wrote:
Sixth Sense
Matrix
Untouchables
Braveheart
Gladiator

No problem, alfie, I'm glad to see there's someone else on 606 v2 of similar worldliness and refinement to myself.

Ha, that's a brilliant post.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 22 May 2014, 11:09 pm

Inception was very overrated IMO, and difficult to follow. I much prefer Shutter Island, the other film Dicaprio was in that year.

Disappointing films:
Man of Steel - oh dear words can't describe how much of an epic fail this was.
Robocop 2014 - terrible plot, needed to be good to supplement the action. 1987 version still awesome despite being old.
Prometheus - looked interesting, I thought it would be as it was to cover the Alien/Humanity origins. I didn't go into much detail and was just pretty lame compared to the Alien franchise.
Terminator Salvation - I had high hopes for this as it was something I long wanted to see. Cameron gave a better, more horrific version of the future in like 5 minutes of footage in the first Terminator compared to this 2 hour long garbage.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 22 May 2014, 11:17 pm

http://www.totalfilm.com/features/50-most-disappointing-movies-of-all-time/terminator-salvation-2009 Most of my choices made the totalfilm list!

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 23 May 2014, 1:21 pm

I think it's important to make a distinction between "disappointing" and "over-hyped/overrated". While the two do overlap, they're not entirely the same. Disappointing is a film which you were looking forward to prior to seeing and ended up not enjoying it, whereas over-hyped/overrated is more a film that got great reviews, but which you found under-whelming.

I would argue that some of Galted's list should be in the latter category. In particular it's hard to understand how he can have found "Dark Knight rises" disappointing, given he didn't like the previous two in the trilogy either. Throw in Memento and Inception, and I'd have thought it would become fairly clear that Galted doesn't really enjoy Nolan films. As such, surely he wasn't expecting too much from Dark Knight Rises?

Anyway I disgress. Saint's link is a good one, and they're some very good shouts on there. A couple on there I thought I'd mention as personal let-downs are:

- the Avengers (1998, not the Marvel version). An excellent TV series, but the movie completely failed to capture any of its magic, and ended up just feeling very flat.

- the Golden Compass. Loved Pullman's books, and with a star cast this could/should have been great, but while it had some decent moments, it's incredibly shallow and lacks any of the depth of said books. I'm normally not one to argue too much when a film strays from the source material, or moan "that's not how it happened in the books/comics etc." but on this occasion I just can't help myself.

Man of Steel is an interesting one. I actually thought as a movie it was OK, not great, or even particularly good, but not bad either. I quite liked the origins on Krypton bit, and thought it was an interesting (if somewhat inevitable) take on the character. However, it also had way overblown action scenes, I found Lois Lane a bit annoying and some of the plot a bit too far-fetched (given they went the Nolan dark/realistic route). One of those films where you felt there was a good film in there somewhere, but they didn't quite pull it off.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 24 May 2014, 7:52 am

Galted wrote:
alfie wrote:
Sixth Sense
Matrix
Untouchables
Braveheart
Gladiator

Laugh 

Still don't agree with you , mind. But that comeback has earned my total respect  clap clap clap 

Last edited by alfie on Sat 24 May 2014, 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : .)

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down