The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chelsea's Most Disappointing XI

+7
CFCNick
Ent
All hail Lubo
Mad for Chelsea
Crimey
dummy_half
VDT
11 posters

Go down

Chelsea's Most Disappointing XI Empty Chelsea's Most Disappointing XI

Post by VDT Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Continuing the series of articles for the Journal about Most Disappointing XI's - i reckon we can squeeze one more out before it gets boring, so lets do Chelsea's XI

I'm looking for your suggests and reasons, why players should make the final XI - I'm not looking bad players with terms of ability, looking for the players that arrived for huge money and/or big expectations but didn't do it for the Chelski

Will be quoting the best opinions in the Article

Thanx again Lads for your help! kiss 

Link to the Previous Most Disappointing XI
http://v2journal.com/22/post/2013/11/liverpools-worst-xi.html
http://v2journal.com/22/post/2013/12/manchester-uniteds-worst-eleven.html

VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

https://soundcloud.com/chris-lappin-1

Back to top Go down

Chelsea's Most Disappointing XI Empty Re: Chelsea's Most Disappointing XI

Post by Guest Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:18 pm

Shevchenko up top, has to be. So much was expected of him and he didn't really deliver

I'd probably throw Jon Obi Mikel in there as well given his controversial arrival to Chelsea via United, he hardly set the world alight of a player who warrants such a controversial transfer

Mutu - was a decent player but his off field antics threw away any chance of a career with Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:44 pm

Torres has got to be in there as well - does look like he's finally finding a bit of form, but Chelsea paid way over the odds for him and he's really struggled.

Not sure we'll get a really good (bad) team from Chelsea though - they've only realistically been a serious challenger for the top since the Gullitt and Vialli days, and big spenders only since Abramovic came in. Can't (for example) think of a bad goalkeeper for that era (de Gooy and Cech were respectively very good and excellent).

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:24 pm

May not have been a superstar but could put Bosnich in at keeper. £46k a week for a handful of appearnces and an eventual sacking when he failed a drugs test

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:36 pm

or Courtois, arrived for £5 million and hasn't even spent any time at the club having been on loan for the past 3 seasons, potentially could be Atletico bound permanently if a price is agreed, he came with huge potential as well

Back to top Go down

Post by VDT Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:39 pm

Maybe Ross Turnbull, i know he was signed on a free but i think a lot more was expected of him!
VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

https://soundcloud.com/chris-lappin-1

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:50 pm

Gael Kakuta, nearly got the club banned from the transfer window for a player who has failed totally to live up to his potential.

Juan Sebastien Veron again, despite his failure at United there was still hope that he would come good for Chelsea.

Deco, had a few good moments but overall was pretty poor.

Yossi Benayoun, a special part of the Liverpool team that was challenging for the title, but never recreated his form at Chelsea.

Majeta Kezman, came along with Robben with big potential but didn't fulfil it.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:52 pm

Veron is surely a shoe-in. How Man u managed to get so much cash off us for that waste of space is beyond me.

As for strikers, Chris Sutton was an unmitigated disaster, much worse than Torres (who hasn't really played badly, just hasn't recaptured his form from Liverpool a few years back, and was grossly overpriced - at say 20 million I would have thought him a decent buy).

Bogarde surely earns a spot in defence, as does Asier Del Horno at LB, who ended up losing his spot to William Gallas. I'd be tempted to go with Glen Johnson at RB, who has since blossomed at Liverpool but was pretty ordinary with Chelsea.

Midfield is a bit harder, they were a few brought in who didn't shine (or maybe didn't get the opportunities): Sidwell and Jarosik (sp?) spring to mind. Deschamps was a disappointment given his rep. Our wingers/wide men have mostly been very good, and even those who weren't great had their moments, so I'll admit I'm rather struggling on those.

Anyway, sure I'm forgetting some, but here goes
Bosnich
Johnson Bogarde Desailly Del Horno
Kezman Deschamps Sidwell Veron
Shevshenko Sutton

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by All hail Lubo Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:29 am

Said well, Torres, Deco and Hilario (?) for me

All hail Lubo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:29 am

You could almost have a team of strikers -

Sheva, crespo, Torres, kezman, Sutton, caseraghi etc etc

Is ballack viewed as a disappointment from Chelsea fans? I thought he would be superb but was average at best really.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:33 am

I loved Ballack. Our midfield suffered when he left. Crespo's form with Didi in 05-06 is enough to keep him out of this sort of discussion.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by All hail Lubo Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:34 am

Said well? Should be Sidwell Laugh

All hail Lubo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:42 am

Shevcenkno, Kezman,Bogarde, Torres,

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:49 am

Sidwell, Parker (although both were ruined by Chelsea rather than poor players), Shevchenko, Torres, Hilario is a shout.

Harsh on Johnson, he moved to Chelsea with barely half a seasons experience

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by All hail Lubo Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:50 am

Would you say Arjen Robben?

All hail Lubo

Back to top Go down

Post by LastDamnation Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:13 am

gazzyD wrote:or Courtois, arrived for £5 million and hasn't even spent any time at the club having been on loan for the past 3 seasons, potentially could be Atletico bound permanently if a price is agreed, he came with huge potential as well

Courtois is arguably the best keeper around atm, not his fault he keeps getting loaned out

LastDamnation

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:08 am

spoilt for choice with chelsea, the big glaringly obvious ones are

veron: despite being proven at united to be a bit pants we still managed to rob chelsea 18 mil for him
shevchencko- spent to much time in the pedestrian italian league, when he came over found the pace of the prem far too quick for him
torres- 50 mil for 16 league goals in four years kind of sums it up, not the mention those missed open goals!
mikel- had top pay united 12 mil for poaching him, most united fans agree its the best transfer deal we have had for a while for doing absolutely nothing
SWP- bought for 21mil did nothing of note and resold back to city a shell of the player for 8mil

other worth while candidates

johnsen, del horno, bridge, boulahrouz, bogarde, ben haim, sidwell, crespo, weah, sutton, mutu, smertin, zhirkov, kezman, robert fleck, casiraghi,

i could name a few teams of disappointing elevens with chelsea, although they could be top heavy

Last edited by compelling and rich on Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:53 am; edited 1 time in total

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:27 am

Mario Stanic, Bogarde, Veron, Kezman, Wright Phillips, Shevchenko

Kalou - Not sure how he stayed off so many lists: Ok no one knew his best position but as a striker he was to wasteful and as a winger I never thought he a great delivery or indeed had the no how as to the right time to cross & right to shoot.

Zhirkov - Did ok in cup competitions but never hit the heights in the league for the £18m they paid

Torres - A return of 16 goals for £50 million says everything you need to know as to why he makes it in.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:00 am

nearly all the players mentioned so far have been during the roman abramovich era, thats why robert fleck is worth a mention. a then record signing for ken bates chelsea turned out to be a big waste of money and was loaned out for most of his time there

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down