The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I told you so!

+2
D4thincarnation
Ronikara
6 posters

Go down

I told you so! Empty I told you so!

Post by Ronikara Sun May 22, 2011 1:00 pm

2 months ago, I said on the original 606 that Groves would win. Many laughed at me, but the fight played out exactly as I thought it would. Anyone who wants an explanation of what happened, here is the article again.

I am so glad that James Degale and George Groves are going to fight on 21 May. Forget what the naysayers say about it coming too soon. That’s rubbish. Both are good prospects who I expect to move on to world level. A win now would set a marker, and probably pave the way for a rematch at world title level in a few years. I’m so sick of fights never happening like Hatton v Witter, Bowe v Lewis and Pacman v Mayweather, its time to find out who’s the better fighter for real, rather than boxing fan speculation.

That being said, I like to say I told you so and I’m going to go against the grain here by saying that George Groves is going to win. I find it interesting that so many people think the fight is too soon for George; if anything, this fight is too soon for James Degale.

Groves has consistently fought against far better and more durable opponents than James Degale. A few fights ago, James struggled to look better than ordinary against Sam Horton, where he won in 5 rounds. Sam Horton was previously demolished by Cello Renda in 2 rounds. That’s the same Renda who was twice knocked out in 3 by Paul Samuel. The same Paul Samuel that Groves iced in 1 round in only his 3rd fight.

Consistent with Adam Booth’s high risk strategy to match his fighters hard, Groves has been exposed to a variety of different styles and guys who can bang throughout his career. Yes, that has meant Groves has been in trouble in a couple of his fights, but he has developed as a result. The one fight where people really criticise Groves was the Anderson fight. What people ignore was that Groves was not fighting his normal fight against Anderson. He was trying to box to Booth’s specific instructions to box and move for the first 6 rounds before engaging in the second half of the fight. Yes Groves struggled with those instructions, and he ultimately had to ignore them to get through, but Booth and Groves learned something from that fight and now know that this is something that they need to work on.

There is a purpose behind every match Booth makes for Groves. Even the warm up fight was against an (admittedly limited) awkward, unorthodox southpaw with a far better record than Degale’s warm up opponent. Degale’s opponent was basically a walking punchbag, with a style that doesn’t resemble Groves in the slightest. Even the Sky analysts who have to speak highly of the tv they showcase, had to call it a worthless exercise.

Degale’s best opponents have been Carl Dilks (who admits he froze on the night) and Paul Smith. Smith is a fighter of equal or maybe better quality than anyone on Grove’s record, and this was a truly outstanding performance by Degale, but Smith is a come forward one dimensional fighter with little head movement. So far, Degale has not come across an awkward fighter, a fighter with good movement or a decent counter puncher. Groves is all 3, and I found it a little disconcerting watching Degale on Ringside almost beg Groves to get into a tear-up in the middle of the ring.

This is not a slight on Degale, but on Frank Warren and his match making which does not prepare his fighters for the different kind of challenges they are going to face when they move up in levels. Look at how Amir Khan was exposed by Prescott, having basically been fed cannon fodder until that point. Or the equally talented Kell Brook who, even though Frank insists is ready to move up to world level, cannot and does not claim to be anywhere near ready for Pacman. Why not? Why should we just wait till Pacman retires so Brook can pick up a vacant belt against an easy opponent? Where is the ambition to be the best? My view is that by giving Degale such easy opponents for most of his career, you are inflating his confidence of where he is to beyond where reality dictates it should be, and you are harming his development in the process.

Of course it is easier to look amazing when you have had easier opponents. But despite Sky’s hype, I don’t believe on paper Degale is ready for a challenge like Groves when he has yet to even be hurt in any of his fights.

The X factor is Degale’s unbelievable ability to rise to the challenge. Everyone knows Degale won the Olympic gold medal, what people forget was that before the Games, he wasn’t even talked about being one of our medal prospects and was a 40/1 outsider. Nothing in his career to date suggested he was ready for an experienced and seasoned British champion Paul Smith, and Degale went in and gave a boxing masterclass. That’s the unknown quality in this fight, and what makes it hard to predict.

But sooner or later, Degale is going to be exposed by having such an easy ride under Frank Warren’s match making. Degale is not ready for a real battle in terms of skill, power and heart. Groves is, and that is what wins this fight for me.

Ronikara

Back to top Go down

I told you so! Empty Re: I told you so!

Post by Guest Sun May 22, 2011 1:04 pm

I thought Groves would win too...doesn't make me Nostradamus, just picking one fighter to win out of a possible two after all.
Full marks for your original article....nul points for modesty!

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Sun May 22, 2011 1:10 pm

I thought DeGale would win, but I knew Groves had a real posibility of winning too.

It was a close fight, and the result could have been reversed if one round swung the other way.

But could call and insight into the fight, a damn sight better than some who thought DeGale would walk it, without giving any real reasons why.

Remember neither fighter is at there peak, I think they should meet again but not till they both have about 20 fights under their belt.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Sun May 22, 2011 1:19 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:I thought DeGale would win, but I knew Groves had a real posibility of winning too.

It was a close fight, and the result could have been reversed if one round swung the other way.

But could call and insight into the fight, a damn sight better than some who thought DeGale would walk it, without giving any real reasons why.

Remember neither fighter is at there peak, I think they should meet again but not till they both have about 20 fights under their belt.

Totally agree. I think both fighters will go on too win world titles and rematch at a higher level when both fighters have reached their prime. Even then I think it will be a close battle like the 1st.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun May 22, 2011 1:20 pm

Seem to be contradicting yourself somewhat.

Claiming DeGale had an easy ride, yet he was matched with both Smith and Groves early.

Saying the fight is too soon for DeGale, yet complaining about other fights that dont get made.

Citing DeGales ability to rise to a challenge yet saying he isnt readt for a real battle.

Not sure what your point is. Is the fight too soon or not for DeGale? Should the fight be happening or not? If DeGale has been given an easy ride then why was he matched with a British and Comonwealth Champion within 11 fights?

Dont think the fight showd DeGale up neccessarily. It was a razor thin decision and if anything DeGale showed he was well capable of a real battle. Another night or different judges he may well win the fight.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronikara Sun May 22, 2011 2:09 pm

Manos - What you call contradiction, I call balance. Degale has had an easy ride, with the exception of Smith. Groves has fought tougher opposition all the way through, and with a real variety of styles. Degale has fought one dimensional fighters. For all the talk about Groves not developing as a pro, I always saw it the other way around.

Let me be clear. I'm glad the fight happened. I believe that if you match fighters hard all the way through, if you take a few risks, they develop into better fighters over their career. They may not get to 30-0 (ala Mitchell, or Murray) but when the going gets tough, or an opponent does something they weren't expecting, they will have a plan b. Last night, Degale did not.

The reason Warren allowed this fight to happen was because he started to believe the hype that he had built up around James Degale. They were even talking about putting him in a world title fight in his 10th fight! They thought Groves would be an easy night's work. They were wrong, this was always a 50-50 fight. My article was making the point that at this point in time Groves was more prepared for a 50-50 fight than Degale, and that is how it proved.

It was a very close fight (I gave it to Groves by 2, but I can understand why others saw it differently) and I do think Degale is probably the more talented of the 2, and he may well end up being more successful in his career. But, as happened with Khan, by giving Degale easy fights made him and his team complacent, and he ran out of ideas very early on. The defeat was the best thing that could have happened to Degale because its a reality check at a time where he can adapt and learn from it.

You have to question Degale's preparation from his match making to his sparring. You could see from day 1 Groves was going to counter punch. Degale knew it, which is why he tried to goad Groves into not being "Mr Technical". So surely it would make sense in either his fights or sparring to match him with a counter puncher. Degale sparred with Cleverly, who whilst being a good fighter, is definitely not a counter puncher. By contrast, Groves' last fight was with an awkward (albeit limited) southpaw, and his sparring was with the (world level) awkward southpaw andre dirrell.

Both fighters will go on to world level and I hope they do England proud. But this reality check has come at the right time for Degale and his cheerleaders. In years to come, he may well admit this himself.

Last edited by Ronikara on Sun May 22, 2011 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Ronikara

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun May 22, 2011 3:05 pm

I said... Degale has had an easy ride so far and if Groves gets his tactics right on the night he will take him.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon May 23, 2011 9:49 am

I picked Groves to win.

Dont know if I can be bothered creating an article on how great I am.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down