The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arum calls for boycott of Mayweather v Maidana

+7
jimdig
Strongback
TopHat24/7
Diamond in the rough
Rowley
hampo17
ONETWOFOREVER
11 posters

Go down

Arum calls for boycott of Mayweather v Maidana Empty Arum calls for boycott of Mayweather v Maidana

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 13 Apr 2014, 5:38 pm

After his man Pacquaio beat Bradley last night, boxing promoter Bob Arum has suggested that fight fans turn away from Floyd's next fight. Calling it nonsense Arum believes that if more fans do not buy the PPV fight then Floyd will have no choice but to sign up and face Manny.

Firstly this is a kick in the teeth for Maidana who has worked hard to get to this position and deserves the shot and secondly did not Arum publically state that Floyd's treatment of Amir Khan was unfair and that Floyd should have taken the fight?????

Oh so Maidana fighting Floyd is nonsense even after beating undefeated Broner but Khan deserves the fight coming off a titanic, life and death, backs to the wall, no hold barred, contest with Tijauna milk man Diaz???

Heres the qoute...

“The only people that can make Floyd Mayweather fight Manny is the public,” Arum said at the post-fight press conference last night. “If they boycott the nonsense on May 3. [Mayweather-Maidana]. That’s what the public should do. [If the media] wants that fight, tell the public not to buy pay-per-view and not to buy tickets. There is no other [strategy]. We are prepared tomorrow to sit down at a table with people to work out the conditions for the fight''

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Arum calls for boycott of Mayweather v Maidana Empty Re: Arum calls for boycott of Mayweather v Maidana

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 14 Apr 2014, 8:45 am

Seems like you guys have boycotted my thread  picard 

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Arum calls for boycott of Mayweather v Maidana Empty Re: Arum calls for boycott of Mayweather v Maidana

Post by hampo17 Mon 14 Apr 2014, 9:48 am

I didn't see this one Onetwo but I agree with what you're saying. Bob is just a sour old man, he said after Rigo beat Donaire that he didn't know he was going to promote him, and he criticised Bradley after the first Pacquiao fight. Take everything he says with a pinch of salt.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 14 Apr 2014, 9:53 am

The problem you have with Bob’s plan is if folk did boycott Floyd’s next fight you would have a situation where they went to the negotiating table with Manny having done 800,000 PPVs or something similar last time out. If Floyd has done half that number or lower one can only assume Bob is likely to be offering much in the way of an equitable split. Can really imagine Floyd agreeing to a 30% split of the purse.

Said it years ago that fans should have boycotted the pair of them, both of them getting PPV figures of around 100,000 in 2009 would have had their names on the contracts before it had cooled down from the printer. However am past the point of caring, they had their chance to make the biggest fight in history and blew it. Nobody involved emerges with a scrap of credit from the whole affair.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Mon 14 Apr 2014, 10:25 am

Bob is getting desperate as manny is only signed up for the year then he's a free agent! So the fight might happen next May, I think the fight will happen but it will be Floyd's and mannys last fight! If the fight happened in 09! Who ever lost would not be getting close to the money there on now! They get the ppv figures they get now by using each other's name!

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 14 Apr 2014, 11:26 am

Think that's a criticism you can level at Floyd more than Manny there, Ditr.

Manny already has losses on his record and trades on being an exciting boxer, Floyd trades on being perfect/unbeatable and his '0'.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Mon 14 Apr 2014, 12:07 pm

Manny only started getting the big ppv numbers after oscar when people thought he could beat Floyd! He got beat by Marquez and his nex showing against rios only takes in 450k ppv buys

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 14 Apr 2014, 12:22 pm

He got big ppv numbers because he was the most dynamic and exciting boxer on the planet and, yes, #1 challenger to Floyd.

You've then skipped 3-4 years to say 'look his last ppv numbers were weak', which was hardly surprising give it was a meaningless gimme fight hosted the other side of the world and a time not suited to the big US audiences.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Mon 14 Apr 2014, 2:57 pm

He is a ridiculously exciting fighter but he wasn't getting big PPV numbers before oscar prob around 300k! He got great ppv numbers after oscar as everyone loved watching him and was being touted as the guy to beat mayweather! They have used each other's names perfectly IMO! And if the fight happened and say manny got beat by a WPTS For instance there is no way he would've been here generating over 1m buys per fight!

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 14 Apr 2014, 3:08 pm

So same as Floyd then? He wasn't a big PPV star pre-Oscar.

And Manny's buys have only dipped for his last fight, therefore pretty meaningless.

That period of several years so decided to skip over Manny consistently pulled in 900k-1.3m.

Manny's marketability wouldn't have suffered anywhere near as much as Floyd's. Hell, his entire Hatton PPV was traded off his '0'!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 14 Apr 2014, 3:36 pm

I'd like to see Mayweather v Maidana doing low PPV numbers.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Mon 14 Apr 2014, 3:53 pm

I think maidana v mayweather will be low ppv numbers, I'd expect them to come in lower than vs the ghost. The hype train can only market a nothing fight so many times.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 14 Apr 2014, 4:26 pm

Low for Floyd, but I doubt less than 600k still.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Mon 14 Apr 2014, 5:04 pm

Yes the same as Floyd which I'm sure I've made clear when saying they use each other's name! Well his last fight was the first fight he's had since he got beat which the numbers were low which is my point! If they fought in 09 both there earning power would've dropped especially the loser of the bout

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 14 Apr 2014, 5:18 pm

jimdig wrote:I think maidana v mayweather will be low ppv numbers, I'd expect them to come in lower than vs the ghost. The hype train can only market a nothing fight so many times.

How is this a nothing fight?

Who is hotter then Maidana right now?....Khan?......Thurman?.......Provin...Provindiki......the Russian guy? WHO?

Maidana is a seasoned pro and a current p4p name. Stop the Floyd hate. Who do you want him to fight KING KONG????

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 14 Apr 2014, 5:22 pm

Predictable Flomo response......

How about the 154 'champ' fights some fellow 154lbers, for instance?

Nobody really cares about this fight.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 14 Apr 2014, 5:29 pm

Flomo?  picard

dear oh dear

The whole of Argentina will be watching this fight and the whole of Latin America. This fight will sell HUGE numbers with Collazo the Rican on the card. Its a big fight with 1 of the most feared fighters in the division.

Stop the hate Toppy

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon 14 Apr 2014, 7:14 pm

To be fair, Pacman was a 154lbs champ as well and he also never fought any 154lbs fighters AT ALL. So really we cant give Floyd stick if your using that as a yard stick.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Mon 14 Apr 2014, 7:39 pm

Your funny one two. Maidana is nothing to mayweather. Maidana has been decisively beaten by Alexander, mayweather cruises to another 108 120 decision while charging 70 bucks for the privilege to watch. Maidana isn't hot, he's hype. He just beat a fighter who had never fought above lightweight, maidana even lost twice to khan, once on Facebook.

For the record I don't hate mayweather, he's like nothing I've ever seen before, or likely see again. But he's milking "the floyd fight, is an event". For 70 bucks a viewing, he should be fighting Lara, not Canelo. Maidana has a punchers chance against the greatest defensive fighter of his generation. This is a nothing fight.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 14 Apr 2014, 7:47 pm

jimdig wrote:Your funny one two. Maidana is nothing to mayweather. Maidana has been decisively beaten by Alexander, mayweather cruises to another 108 120 decision while charging 70 bucks for the privilege to watch. Maidana isn't hot, he's hype. He just beat a fighter who had never fought above lightweight, maidana even lost twice to khan, once on Facebook.

For the record I don't hate mayweather, he's like nothing I've ever seen before, or likely see again. But he's milking "the floyd fight, is an event". For 70 bucks a viewing, he should be fighting Lara, not Canelo. Maidana has a punchers chance against the greatest defensive fighter of his generation. This is a nothing fight.

I'm sorry but this is the Leonard v Hearns 1 of our generation in that we have a highly dangerous, highly explosive puncher in Maidana up against a technically gifted defensive expert in Mayweather.

All the elements are there, Maidana has reached his peak and has actually improved when his new trainer took over so to call him hype is way off the mark yep.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Mon 14 Apr 2014, 7:51 pm

Ha ha

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 14 Apr 2014, 7:54 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:
jimdig wrote:Your funny one two. Maidana is nothing to mayweather. Maidana has been decisively beaten by Alexander, mayweather cruises to another 108 120 decision while charging 70 bucks for the privilege to watch. Maidana isn't hot, he's hype. He just beat a fighter who had never fought above lightweight, maidana even lost twice to khan, once on Facebook.

I'm sorry but this is the Leonard v Hearns 1 of our generation in that we have a highly dangerous, highly explosive puncher in Maidana up against a technically gifted defensive expert in Mayweather.

All the elements are there, Maidana has reached his peak and has actually improved when his new trainer took over so to call him hype is way off the mark yep.
Greatest WUM ever. A quadraplegic Paul Williams could see one of Maidana's punches coming, regain the use of his limbs, train for 6 months, don gloves and shorts, get in the ring, pi$$ about for three rounds, go home, have a bath, a snack, a snooze, come back into the arena, sign a couple of autographs, give a heart warming interview about his triumph over adversity, climb back into the ring and still slip the punch.

Maidana is Mayorga-lite and that's being generous

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 14 Apr 2014, 8:00 pm

Ortiz.......destroyed

Lopez......broken

Karass......obliterated

Khan......abused

How are you seeing a b grade fighter here????

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 14 Apr 2014, 10:06 pm

What is the need to post such garbage ONETWO, comparing Maidana to Hearns is pathetic, the Hitman would never have lost to Alexander, Kotelnik or Khan, all three would have been violated.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 15 Apr 2014, 9:46 am

mobilemaster8 wrote:To be fair, Pacman was a 154lbs champ as well and he also never fought any 154lbs fighters AT ALL. So really we cant give Floyd stick if your using that as a yard stick.

Manny's 154 'reign' was more of a joke than Floyd's. Was never serious, he just came up to a silly catchweight in order to hand Margacheato and beating. Totally different to a guy that's campaign three times at the weight (2 of which at the full limit) and each time for a legit belt against an established world champion.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 15 Apr 2014, 9:57 am

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Ortiz.......destroyed Heartless hype-job

Lopez......broken Average at best, lost 2 of his last 3

Karass......obliterated Another nobody, lost to anyone half-decent he abused

Khan......abused To whom he lost comprehensively, outboxed in almost every round and put on his arris early doors

How are you seeing a b grade fighter here????

Next?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Tue 15 Apr 2014, 11:16 am

Would love a boycott purely to imagine the look on Floyd's face when he walks into an empty arena and realises people have had enough of the circus he runs.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 15 Apr 2014, 11:41 am

Knowsit17 wrote:Would love a boycott purely to imagine the look on Floyd's face when he walks into an empty arena and realises people have had enough of the circus he runs.

HA HA

I don't normally agree with you Knowsit but that would be funny lol.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 15 Apr 2014, 12:03 pm

The fight won't happen in 2015. Manny's still too dangerous.

I for one won't be buying Mayweather's next fight, even if it's a better fight than a lot of people are making out.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down