The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barclays Premier League 13/14 Thread Part 'x'

+34
AberdeenSteve
Crimey
kingraf
socal1976
westisbest
Duty281
nasisillmatic
hampo17
owen10ozzy
Stella
skyeman
CFCNick
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Born Slippy
sportform
Mat
Hulking_up
NickisBHAFC
Good Golly I'm Olly
J.Benson II
compelling and rich
Fernando
Bull
The Special Juan
Kay Fabe
Hammersmith harrier
Liam
Hero
FootballLight
Ent
GSC
mystiroakey
Dolphin Ziggler
It Must Be Love
38 posters

Page 16 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Barclays Premier League 13/14 Thread Part 'x' - Page 16 Empty Barclays Premier League 13/14 Thread Part 'x'

Post by It Must Be Love Sun 20 Apr 2014, 11:20 pm

First topic message reminder :

I wouldn't mind Klopp replacing Moyes, if he does leave.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Barclays Premier League 13/14 Thread Part 'x' - Page 16 Empty Re: Barclays Premier League 13/14 Thread Part 'x'

Post by AberdeenSteve Sun 27 Apr 2014, 8:24 am

Crimey wrote:I think the signings Norwich made were actually very decent looking signings. I thought they did very well in the market, working under the radar snapping up players that could very easily have been signed by teams either a few places above them in the Premier League or abroad. I don't think any of the signings they made in the summer, other than Elmander, looked dodgy. I think Olly is basically right when it was a failure of Hughton that Norwich spent money signings these players, who are undoubtedly good footballers, and Hughton refused to adapt the style or shape of the side to accommodate them. I don't think Norwich should have been relegated at the start of the year, I thought they would be pushing top half, I think it's been a combination of poor management and the players not playing to their best that has led to them being in the position they are in.

Yet Elmander has actually scored this season Laugh

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Barclays Premier League 13/14 Thread Part 'x' - Page 16 Empty Re: Barclays Premier League 13/14 Thread Part 'x'

Post by AberdeenSteve Sun 27 Apr 2014, 8:57 am

After watching the Stoke v Spurs match on MOTD, Andre Marriner needs to be taking off of the Premier League games. Being a referee myself, that is a man completely bereft of confidence. He was clearly unaware that he'd booked Shawcross, and to not send off Danny Rose for the push is absolutely crazy. Completely agree with Mark Hughes that it seemed Marriner was guessing at times.

I know the feeling, but he can't be taken games with his confidence the way it is. Poor lad.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Sun 27 Apr 2014, 9:07 am

Crimey wrote:I think the signings Norwich made were actually very decent looking signings. I thought they did very well in the market, working under the radar snapping up players that could very easily have been signed by teams either a few places above them in the Premier League or abroad. I don't think any of the signings they made in the summer, other than Elmander, looked dodgy. I think Olly is basically right when it was a failure of Hughton that Norwich spent money signings these players, who are undoubtedly good footballers, and Hughton refused to adapt the style or shape of the side to accommodate them. I don't think Norwich should have been relegated at the start of the year, I thought they would be pushing top half, I think it's been a combination of poor management and the players not playing to their best that has led to them being in the position they are in.

Based on the 20 PL squads at the start of the season, Im not sure you can say that Norwich could be "pushing top half", although i see where you are coming from. From Newcastle in 9th to Sunderland in 20th, there's very little difference between these teams. No team got cut off this season. IMO, Cardiff are the poorest team in the league - but they may survive.

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Sun 27 Apr 2014, 9:14 am

AberdeenSteve wrote:After watching the Stoke v Spurs match on MOTD, Andre Marriner needs to be taking off of the Premier League games. Being a referee myself, that is a man completely bereft of confidence. He was clearly unaware that he'd booked Shawcross, and to not send off Danny Rose for the push is absolutely crazy. Completely agree with Mark Hughes that it seemed Marriner was guessing at times.

I know the feeling, but he can't be taken games with his confidence the way it is. Poor lad.

Is what Rose did a sending off though? I know the "you can't raise your hands" thing is often trotted out,but sometimes referees need to take account of the circumstances, and i thought a yellow was sufficient. The 2nd Shawcross yellow was a bit harsh, but it was a reasonable call and it shouldn't matter whether or not he was aware that he was already on a yellow. I thought Mark Hughes' comments were really unfair.

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sun 27 Apr 2014, 9:19 am

John wrote:
TopoftheChops wrote:villa's defence is shocking

and according to many sources, Van Gaal might bring Vlaar to Old Trafford  Laugh

As for Bony, why did we not just stump up the £12m last summer, instead we pi**ed around & did nothing......and then in January we got De Jong  picard 

Vlaar is actually decent.

Its guys like Baker Clarke Bennett that are poor.

Bertrand hasn't been to good either.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 27 Apr 2014, 9:20 am

I really felt for Norwich

I doubt any team bar the top 4 could have.beaten them.

They played last season footy second half. And we all knew they would

The belief just floods back once you get the shackles taken off you

Martinez.to barca. Lol

Hahaha. Way to kill a young talent early.

Maybe in 10 years or so.

Arsenal in 3 years would be my guess

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Sun 27 Apr 2014, 9:55 am

Does Baker think he'll be a Villa legend if he has his hair and beard like Mellberg?

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 27 Apr 2014, 9:57 am

Nail. Head. Repeatedly!

At the end of the day Hughton signed strikers who do they're best work in the 18 yard box and need service. We never give them any service, and expect them to hold the ball up and take the minimal chances that come there way.

Hughton either needed to sign a big target man to fit his current system or fit his system around his new strikers. He did neither and its gone a long way to helping our demise
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by TopoftheChops Sun 27 Apr 2014, 10:25 am

Olly wrote:I mean we signed Tettey and Garrido last season from abroad so its hardly like we've made a massive leap to buy from foreign markets

We spent some money to try and establish ourselves, some of it went on guys outside of Britain, some of it went on players domestically. It hasn't worked out unfortunately for us

The reason why town went down was buying foreign players after finishing 5th in the prem. The team had a great work ethïc but buying players like sereni, george and counago affected the team badly and led to relegation

TopoftheChops

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Sun 27 Apr 2014, 10:38 am

John Cregan wrote:
AberdeenSteve wrote:After watching the Stoke v Spurs match on MOTD, Andre Marriner needs to be taking off of the Premier League games. Being a referee myself, that is a man completely bereft of confidence. He was clearly unaware that he'd booked Shawcross, and to not send off Danny Rose for the push is absolutely crazy. Completely agree with Mark Hughes that it seemed Marriner was guessing at times.

Is what Rose did a sending off though? I know the "you can't raise your hands" thing is often trotted out,but sometimes referees need to take account of the circumstances, and i thought a yellow was sufficient. The 2nd Shawcross yellow was a bit harsh, but it was a reasonable call and it shouldn't matter whether or not he was aware that he was already on a yellow. I thought Mark Hughes' comments were really unfair.

Rose was a definite red card, you only have to look at the way Rose approached the situation and how aggressively he pushed Cameron. If you are following the rulebook or taking the situation in context, it is a red card every day of the week. It was heated, and the fact that Sherwood subbed him straight after says alot. He knew he was lucky to still be on the pitch, so remove him from the game before he actually sent off.

As for Shawcross, I feel that if most referees were aware they had already booked Shawcross they wouldn't have sent him off in that situation. It was a late tackle but very little malice. Look at the way Marriner gives Shawcross the yellow, he then goes into his book to take it down and realises he has already been booked. If you are sending someone off, the red card should be half way out your pocket when the yellow is shown.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Sun 27 Apr 2014, 10:49 am

Shawcross deserved to go. Definite two yellows. Rose though could have easily gone.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 27 Apr 2014, 11:38 am

Ok.

3 Big games today if you are a palace fan. If you are not the first two certainly are.

predos

sunderland 0- 2 cardiff
chelsea 1 - 3 liverpool
palace 1-0 Citeh

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 27 Apr 2014, 11:40 am

FreekShow wrote:Citing foreign transfers as a reason for failure is ridiculous full stop.

God forbid the regular homegrown players sharing some fault.

The big signings to add to their squad hadnt played in the Premier League. None of their signings had proven themselves as that good in the Premier League. They're probably going to go down. Not everything in the world is Chris Hughton ruining Olly's life by being a bad coach.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 27 Apr 2014, 11:44 am

Very nervous about the game today, think the team will be the same as the one that started at Norwich with Sturridge off of the bench. Think Henderson will be a big miss today as Lucas and Allen don't have the same energy levels or talent for running past the forwards. Expect Chelsea to sit back and hit on the break and that is where Liverpool struggle. Whatever happens, I think it will be a very intriguing game.

I would take a draw now.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 27 Apr 2014, 11:57 am

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:
FreekShow wrote:Citing foreign transfers as a reason for failure is ridiculous full stop.

The big signings to add to their squad hadnt played in the Premier League. None of their signings had proven themselves as that good in the Premier League. They're probably going to go down. Not everything in the world is Chris Hughton ruining Olly's life by being a bad coach.

Barely any of our signings over the Premier League years have played in the league. When we came up we had like James Vaughan who was the only guy who had "experience". Its incredibly overrated
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 27 Apr 2014, 11:59 am

Anyways come on the draw!!!

#wickhamforengland
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 27 Apr 2014, 12:01 pm

Olly wrote:
Dolphin Ziggler wrote:

Barely any of our signings over the Premier League years have played in the league. When we came up we had like James Vaughan who was the only guy who had "experience". Its incredibly overrated

You say that, but you've never really been that good in the Premier League. Well, not since VHS' and the 90s

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 27 Apr 2014, 12:02 pm

Medel vs Cattermole excites me a lot #red #5050 #red #5050 #red #5050 #red #5050

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 27 Apr 2014, 12:03 pm

Olly wrote:
Dolphin Ziggler wrote:

totally- top level champ players just need a decent coach to bring them up to standard- its been proved time and time again(this time by palace Wink )

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 27 Apr 2014, 12:04 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:
Olly wrote:
Dolphin Ziggler wrote:

You say that, but you've never really been that good in the Premier League. Well, not since VHS' and the 90s

We were pretty decent in our first year up, but of course we've not been that good, we're not an established side in the league!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 27 Apr 2014, 12:06 pm

Olly wrote:
Dolphin Ziggler wrote:
Olly wrote:
Dolphin Ziggler wrote:

We were pretty decent in our first year up, but of course we've not been that good, we're not an established side in the league!

Maybe if you'd signed some established players  Cool 

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 27 Apr 2014, 12:09 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:
Olly wrote:
Dolphin Ziggler wrote:
Olly wrote:
Dolphin Ziggler wrote:

Maybe if you'd signed some established players  Cool 

Well we signed Michael Turner... Whistle 
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 27 Apr 2014, 12:25 pm

I stand down.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 27 Apr 2014, 12:26 pm

Him again

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 27 Apr 2014, 12:26 pm

wickham is the difference- making everyone else of the pitch look silly and guess what- he scores

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 27 Apr 2014, 12:26 pm

Olly wrote:Anyways come on the draw!!!

#wickhamforengland

#wickhamforengland
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 27 Apr 2014, 12:29 pm

Olly wrote:
Olly wrote:Anyways come on the draw!!!

#wickhamforengland

#wickhamforengland

one day for sure- must be worth quite a few quid. reminds me of puncheon. doing so well know he is settled rather than being loaned out everywhere. Must be on better clubs eyes at the moment

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 27 Apr 2014, 12:29 pm

Cattermole needs to be careful he "doesnt pick up a needless booking" according to the commentary. I presume thats just a stock soundbite they have for every game he's ever played

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 27 Apr 2014, 12:31 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Cattermole needs to be careful he "doesnt pick up a needless booking" according to the commentary. I presume thats just a stock soundbite they have for every game he's ever played

Its like the cooking quips they use when we play
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Sun 27 Apr 2014, 12:33 pm

Lets hope there isn't crazy pressure put on Wickham's shoulders. He was great with Ipswich in the Championship but has struggled to find his feet since he moved to Sunderland (probably due to the many managerial changes and constantly been farmed out).

He is however a very good talent, and has come good this season with some good coaching and nurturing from Poyet.

Calls for him to go to the World Cup are crazy though.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 27 Apr 2014, 12:36 pm

yeah no way would I take him to the world cup.

But one to look at - hopefully he will stay in the prem in a team that plays him regularly- the last thing he needs is to go to a bigger club and then end up on the bench or being farmed out again to stunt his progression.

SO for me - stay at Sunderland if they stay up or come to palace if they go down.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 27 Apr 2014, 12:45 pm

Phil Dowds what are you doing
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 27 Apr 2014, 12:46 pm

the ref has made the decision.

it was allways coming.

wickham didnt go down but still got the penalty..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun 27 Apr 2014, 12:47 pm

Fair play to Dowd, most referees would just let it go but he's stuck to his conviction, however the pull was outside the box by about a yard and a half.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 27 Apr 2014, 12:47 pm

Didn't realise advantage lasted for like 15 seconds
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 27 Apr 2014, 12:48 pm

bit unlucky though- the pull was outside the box- so its red out the box and yellow in and pen..(well should be imo)

more controversy

jeas when will it end

Last edited by mystiroakey on Sun 27 Apr 2014, 12:49 pm; edited 2 times in total

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 27 Apr 2014, 12:48 pm

Was about two yards outside the box as well

Frak off
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 27 Apr 2014, 12:50 pm

And since when has a little tug on the arm denied the chance?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 27 Apr 2014, 12:50 pm

Olly wrote:And since when has a little tug on the arm denied the chance?

well it does- but its rarely given

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Sun 27 Apr 2014, 12:52 pm

Great refereeing with regards to the advantage that was played. However, Dowd has not been helped by his assistant there.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 27 Apr 2014, 12:52 pm

"@tomvictor: That card was only ever going to be Juan Cala"

This fella has won at twitter
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 27 Apr 2014, 12:54 pm

How can that be a red card and the foul Whittaker did yesterday not even a yellow

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun 27 Apr 2014, 12:55 pm

Just on the pull back Olly, Juan Calla isn't going to catch him and that pull allows him to keep and get goal side. The reply certainly shows the pull is actually in the box as well.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 27 Apr 2014, 12:56 pm

well the foul did continue in to the box,

honesty won wickham the pen- because if he had gone down it would have been earlier and outside the box.

Good reffing, and honesty for once works out in the attacking players favour

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 27 Apr 2014, 12:58 pm

Foul continues into the box so its a pen. Its a clear foul too, as was the one on Welbeck yesterday.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sun 27 Apr 2014, 12:59 pm

just seen shelveys goal, better than rooneys for me. savage talks some rubbish criticizing the keeper like it was his fault. the keeper was at fault more for the rooney one than that. rooneys was savable. shelveys he didnt have a chance

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 27 Apr 2014, 1:01 pm

still a good goal from rooney though- tough to blame the keeper for either goal though! just good goals - end of

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sun 27 Apr 2014, 1:01 pm

Olly wrote:How can  that be a red card and the foul Whittaker did yesterday not even a yellow

said this yesterday that if its a foul it had to be a red. replays showed it was a bit soft but watching it live it looked like a blatant pen on first viewing and it was right in front of me. looked like he took his leg the way he fell

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 27 Apr 2014, 1:02 pm

"How can that be a red card and the foul Whittaker did yesterday not even a yellow"

both yellows for me.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sun 27 Apr 2014, 1:03 pm

mystiroakey wrote:still a good goal from rooney though- tough to blame the keeper for either goal though! just good goals - end of

oh im not denying there both great goals, but if the keeper tracks the ball instead of turning his back and running away from it he can catch rooneys pretty easy. thats why shelveys is better for me

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next