The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Future of Super Rugby

5 posters

Go down

The Future of Super Rugby Empty The Future of Super Rugby

Post by emack2 Mon 05 May 2014, 1:53 am

From Planet Rugby recently Super Rugby will be now S20,6 SA,5NZ,5 Aus,plus 4 others.
Usual home and away basis plus 3 stage knockout with SA guaranteed at least one at
knockout stage.
Sanzar has bowed to Sarfu and it seems to me have spread the cake even thinner.
Thoughts any one?

emack2

Back to top Go down

The Future of Super Rugby Empty Re: The Future of Super Rugby

Post by Taylorman Mon 05 May 2014, 2:04 am

Hi Alan,
Yeah its all got a bit convaluted, too many agenda's and just games all over the globe all in aid of finding something of a winner. I think fans are going to start not bothering. I mean we're not going to care about what's happening outside ANZAC until it actually means something. I thought it was 18- 6/5/5 and two South Americam teams or something like that.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Mon 05 May 2014, 6:24 am

Yup it is to go up to 18 but end a week earlier than it does now!! Go figure.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Mon 05 May 2014, 6:41 am

Yep. More teams, shorter season. Essentially as I understand it:
4 pools.
1 in NZ with the existing 5 NZ teams
1 in Australia with the existing 5 Australian teams
2 in South Africa. These include the existing 5 teams, the southern Kings, an Argentinian team and another side to be determined by tender. Locations talked about include Southern Europe (e.g. Spain), Asia (e.g. Hong Kong or Japan) and North America (e.g. USA or Canada). Presumably another SA team or a second Argentinian team is an option. It wont be a Pacific Island team. I think money (i.e. location will determine it).

It's a bit like the NFL layout. You play each team in your pool twice, and each team in your neighbors once. Each SA pool will play NZ/Australian pools on alternate years. Top teams qualify, followed by 2nd SA team and 2,3 and 4 Australasian sides. Or something like that.

Last edited by blackcanelion on Mon 05 May 2014, 8:36 am; edited 2 times in total

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Mon 05 May 2014, 7:10 am

blackcanelion wrote:Yep. More teams, shorter season. Essentially as I understand it:
4 pools.
1 in NZ with the existing 5 NZ teams
1 in Australia with the existing 5 Australian teams
2 in South Africa. These include the existing 5 teams and southern Kings and another side to be determined by tender. Locations talked about include Southern Europe (e.g. Spain), Asia (e.g. Hong Kong or Japan) and North America (e.g. USA or Canada). Presumably another SA team or Argentinian team is an option. It wont be a Pacific Island team. I think money (i.e. location will determine it).

It's a bit like the NFL layout. You play each team in your pool twice, and each team in your neighbors once. Each SA pool will play NZ/Australian pools on alternate years. Top teams qualify, followed by 2nd SA team and 2,3 and 4 Australasian sides. Or something like that.

Argentinian team would be questionable unless the ARU are prepared to dole out top level wages to draw the players back from Europe. Same with Japan although they have huge bucks and could be a future sap on big players especially after their world cup.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 05 May 2014, 7:16 am

Isn't it 8 teams in the SA pools so 5 existing + kings + Argie team + 1 other TBC?

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Mon 05 May 2014, 8:35 am

ebop wrote:Isn't it 8 teams in the SA pools so 5 existing + kings + Argie team + 1 other TBC?

Yeh, brain ahead of my typing. I'll change it now.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Mon 05 May 2014, 9:44 am

We've looked briefly at this in the club forum

https://www.606v2.com/t53478-super-18

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down